Fall Decor: Burlap Table Runner with Leaf Prints (Sew or No-Sew)

Has the start of November gotten your insides all excited for Fall?  Ooooh-weeee!  And my Christmas Pandora channel has been on for hours at a time.  In fact, it’s on right now.  Who doesn’t love a little ‘Silver Bells’ by Bing Crosby while typing?!!   (I love Pandora……I never know what’s next, but I know I’m gonna like it!)

I love this time of year…..but it all speeds by too quickly.  I want to bottle it all up and enjoy it longer than it ever lasts.  Bum.  However, that’s why I love that we have seasons.  There’s always something new to look forward to.

I was browsing around Joann’s last week while waiting to get my fabric cut (oh my word, their lines were insane….like, an hour just to get fabric cut. yuck.) and I saw this simple printed burlap sitting in the discount section.  I thought, “oooooh, a quick and easy way to add a little cozy bit of Fall to our dining room table. Done!”

And with Thanksgiving right around the corner…….we’re all set!

The table runner is nice and long, so it hangs perfectly over both ends.

I sewed a single line around each edge, just to keep the woven strands from ever unraveling further.  But if you don’t feel like sewing, skip that…..it should still stay pretty well.  And then fray up the edges a bit.

And really, you could make it any size you want.  Or skip the table runner and just make individual burlap place mats, just cut down to a smaller size.

And then sit back and enjoy yourselves a little bit of Fall.

Do you need more specific instructions?

I purchased 2 yards of this leaf printed burlap at Joann’s.  They also had polka dots.  I bought some red polka dots for Christmas.  Yum.  But if you can’t find any pre-printed burlap……consider stenciling some on yourself.

The amount of burlap you need will differ, depending on the length of your table and if you want your burlap to hang off each table end or not.  Once you decide the length, you will only need half that amount in burlap.  Because this stuff comes wide, you can cut one piece into 2 narrow ones….and then sew them together, end to end.  I sewed the ends together with 2 seams, just to really secure it.  And then used an iron to press it nice and flat.  You can’t really tell the seam is there once the decor is placed on top.

Then, like I mentioned above, this is optional……but I sewed a seam a 1/4 inch form the edges, just to really lock that loosely woven burlap in place.

And then I pulled a few strands from each edge, to give it a frayed look. (This also helps stop the fraying as well.)

Easy as that.

And quicker than quick!

Enjoy!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Featured Sponsor:

Comments

37 Responses to “Fall Decor: Burlap Table Runner with Leaf Prints (Sew or No-Sew)”
    palak says:

so cute! I agree that fall rushes by too fast!

Helby says:

That’s beautiful! I’ve been thinking about making a new table runner for fall. This would be perfect!

rebekah says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!

Side note question though! Where did you get your curtains…or fabric for those curtains? I think it may be what I’ve been looking for for my kitchen. :)

The curtains are from pottery barn. I wanted a neutral print that was really lightweight…….and couldn’t find any fabric to make my own. I found them during one of their curtain sales and loved them!

Tracy Wallace says:

Yes ‘re curtains and the paint color too please!! Love that green!

Kathy Angell says:

That looks wonderful for craft shows, both to sell and to use for decor. Thanks!

Margaret says:

I have regular burlap that gives off so much lint. Does this burlap do that?

Yeah, it’s like regular burlap……maybe a touch less because where the paint is, the fibers are sealed down. But after finishing it and laying it down on the table, I don’t mess with it and it doesn’t mess with me! ;)

Becca says:

I have one that I made years ago. I sewed two seams around the outside – one red and one orange. It’s not super noticeable, but I like the look of it. Working with burlap is so messy though. I remember finding those strings all over my craft room.

Tammy says:

Love it. But your white chairs give me hives. They would be white for 2 seconds in this house! Eeek. Clearly not where you eat every day???

Haha….when me moved here 6 months ago, we realized that we now have a formal dining room, for the first time ever. Our every day meal table is in the kitchen nook. The formal dining room is also carpeted (who designs that? there’s also carpet in our master bath. yuck!), so there’s no way we’d eat every day in there anyway. We save it for when company comes, holiday meals, and my kids use it to play board games, play legos, we play cards at it, etc…..because the chairs are comfy. It still gets plenty of use……but more often than not, dinner food is not involved. Are your hives feeling a little better? Haha! ;)

-Ashley

Kristina Noall says:

Okay, I gotta ask. How do you have such a gorgeous paint color in that room?! I thought you were renting! And seriously, those gorgeous white chairs–do you have to cover them with ponchos before eating in there?? How do your kids not destroy them?
    Sorry if that was nosey/rude. But you should have seen how my eyes bugged out :)

Ha……yes, we’re renting. And this was the only room in the house that wasn’t this weird pinky beige that’s in the rest of the house. We actually painted it a slightly different green because the green in there had a cooler tint and this color has a warmer tint. We like it a lot better! (It’s Sherwinn Williams, Sassy Green (6416).)

And haha about the ponchos……that’s a great idea!! Maybe we’ll start eating our “everyday” dinner in there after I find the perfect ponchos for them! ;) No, but this is what I explained above:

When me moved here 6 months ago, we realized that we now have a formal dining room, for the first time ever. Our every day meal table is in the kitchen nook. The formal dining room is also carpeted (who designs that? there’s also carpet in our master bath. yuck!), so there’s no way we’d eat every day in there anyway. We save it for when company comes, holiday meals, and my kids use it to play board games, play legos, we play cards at it, etc…..because the chairs are comfy. It still gets plenty of use……but more often than not, dinner food is not involved.

-Ashley

• 9.1.1
        Kristina Noall says:

Well, I am so happy for you, that you got to paint the room a color you like, and that you get to have a formal dining room now! Yay!! We’re really hoping that we can at least rent a house when my husband graduates in April, and get out of the little apartment we’ve been in the last 3 years. So, congratulations! :) And I totally thought the same as Corrine, that the pic of your dining room looked right off the cover of BH&G. I’ll probably copy it when we do get our own place :) Great job!

Corrine says:

That photo below the title photo looked like it was taken from a high-end home decorating magazine. I am so impressed. Every detail was perfect. Congratulations on a job PERFECTLY done. I am amazed.

This is just gorgeous!!! I’m pinning it now!

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

sandy says:

Oh my gosh I love it. I can’t wait to go to our little Joann’s tomorrow. Thanks.

Leigh Sabey says:

What a gorgeous room! I love every detail. That’s a great idea for the table runner, too — I wish I could look at the discount table at Joanne’s with your eye!

Colette says:

I just went to my Joann’s and I didn’t find any printed burlap! :( it’s just not fair! That is the cutest, easiest table runner ever, and I’m going to be even more jealous when you show me the polka dots for Christmas.

Ellie says:

Love that burlap! Wish we had a Joanne’s in Canada, especially where we live. Only have Fabric Land (nothing fun plus very expensive) and a place that mainly caters to Hutterites, but actually better than FabricLand.
    Love your dining room! Love all your ideas…thanks for sharing with us!

Been needing that green for my kitchen all year! Thx for sharing.

leslie says:

Where did you get your kitchen table? beautiful!

Katie says:

So awesome! You always make such beautiful things in an audience-accessible way. Thanks for that!

Mindy says:

Love the runner, but especially your dining table!

Rachel says:

I just had to say THANK YOU for the idea…I love it and ran right out to my Joann’s and found the burlap, it hadn’t even been cut before! (Not in the red tag area, but they’re doing 60% off coupons right now so only $4/yard) I bought 2 yards and plan to split it in 1/2, no seams makes that the perfect length for my table. The best part is that I bought some gorgeous burnt orange linen (also 60% off) to make coordinating napkins, and now I’ll have a cute table AND a second set for a Christmas gift for my sister-in-law, all for less than $20!! Yea!

Linda says:

What a wonderful application for so little work & I suspect cost (especially with Joann’s 50% off coupons). Looks great on your table. Thanks for the idea.

Emily says:

Love the chairs and table. Do you mind if I ask where they are from?

Kim V. says:

Was at JoAnn’s and found the burlap! Going to finish it up this a.m. Love the look for minimal effort! Just finished my Downy Quilt for Kids with my 11 year old. My first pieced and machine quilted quilt! Keep the good ideas coming!

Heather says:

I love it. It’s simple, rustic and not cutesy! Thanks.

Aline says:

How funny! We have the same exact wall colors! I used to hate it now I cant live without it. Great idea on the table runner btw. :) Cheers

Amy says:

Hi, Ashley, just wanted to say that I love, love, love the white dining chairs. I have a large dining room table that my brother hand constucted but it has a bench. I would love to someday have chairs similar to yours. My question is where did you find them? Furniture store or did you cover them yourself? Thanks.

C says:

HI! I know this is an old post but about four other people asked and you never responded – wondering where you got those beautiful comfy dining room chairs? You have a gift and eye for making things simple but beautiful – how do you have time to nurture your children? I’m sure your own ideas come into your head and you just do them instead of wasting extra time looking around at other people’s ideas… (like me! ha!) Anyway, would love to know where you got your dining table and chairs please. Thanks for your inspiration!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] not going crazy if these seem strangely familiar.  This burlap table runner is just like the Autumn Table Runner I shared last month.  Remember how I said I also purchased some red polka dot burlap at the same [...]