Halloween Costumes 2012: The Granny (from ‘Little Red Riding Hood’)

Hey, remember to add your own homemade (by anyone) Halloween costumes to my flickr group on or before October 30th.  (There are already some absolutely darling things in there.  I love that many of you have been hard at work too!) Then, I will do another little Virtual Costume Parade and add photos of YOUR costumes on my blog, October 31st.  Oooooh, I can’t wait.  I love even more, seeing what all of you have come up with.  More info here.

. . . . .

Well, here’s the last of the 3 Halloween costumes for this year.  I should make one for Steve and I now.  Hmmmm…  Maybe Steve should be the Huntsman and I could be, well, shoot…a tree?  My kiddos picked the wrong theme this year……momma ain’t gonna fit in!! ;)

But in case you missed them, here are the costume tutorials for Little Red Riding Hood and that Mean Ol’ Wolf.  Both were so fun to make.  Try them……you’ll see!  (And maybe you’ll surprise yourself like I did.  Good golly, I love when they actually work out.)

**And tomorrow, I will post all of the kiddos together.  We went to the “forest” to take a few pictures……just for fun.  Oh, and took some video too.  So, I’ll put together a quick photo/movie clip video for tomorrow.  They were so funny all together.  It made the whole theme completely worth it.  So check back in tomorrow…

But yes, you all certainly guessed the last costume.  Our little Chloe is, hahaha, the granny!  And okay, I seriously die every time I look at these pictures.  They just make me laugh.  Every time.  (Even right this minute. Ha.)

There’s just something about that teeny little baby face with all that curly white hair and some reading glasses on a chain.  And, well, that granny cap and dress/apron combo finish it off perfectly!

And, oh, just wait.  Chloe lets us put those glasses right on the tip of her nose…..and never touches them.  She really gets into her character! ;)  (Actually, I think it’s from having the oxygen tubes poking up her nose for a week last month. She’s patient with things on her nose now, I guess.) Ha……LOVE IT!!!!

She plays the part well.  And has some great granny moves!

(And before you worry that the curly hair would bug your little one, I made a quick little knit hat to go under the hat, to act as a buffer, so that the white hair wouldn’t bug her.  And also to tuck her real hair up inside.  She doesn’t fuss or pull at the hat but I put a strap under her chin, just in case.)

This little granny is as sweet as can be.  And can’t wait for her visit from her sweet granddaughter, Little Red.  I think I may just change up the story……because how can I let that ornery old wolf try and gobble up that lovely little face!

HA, here I go, cracking up again.  It’s just that yummy little grin…….gets me every time! :)

Anyway, I better serious myself right up so that I can explain the “Granny-fying process”.

Anyone curious how the little Granny was all put together?

**And remember, I’ll show you them all together tomorrow, prancing through the forest.  I even found a Little Red Riding Hood song off iTunes.  Who would have thought there’d be a song for me to use for my little video.  Yay!**

Let me show you…

Supply List (made in toddler size 2T):

• 2 yards of any fabric for dress and hat (I used 100% cotton)
  • 1.5 yard fabric for apron (I used 100% cotton)
  • curly white wig hair (check the Halloween aisle or your dress up box)
  • 1 nine inch zipper
  • cord elastic
  • velcro
  • reading glasses (check the $1 store or the thrift store)
  • necklace chain (you can buy pieces of chain at the fabric store……or raid your old jewelry)
  • jewelry wire
  • hot glue gun

**I bought the fabric and notions that I needed (and that wasn’t in my stash) at Joann Fabric. Now is a great time to buy fabrics because most everything is on sale for  Halloween.  Also, you don’t need a ton of hair for the granny hat……so you could cut off a bit from a wig in your dress-up box and you’ll never notice.

First of all, the dress.

I made it just like the Little Red Riding Hood Dress but just in smaller form.  So I used one of Chloe’s size 2T dress to create a pattern piece.  Oh, and I also didn’t make the skirt as full…….I only made it about 3 times her waist size.  So, it was about 60 inches wide before I turned it into the skirt section.

Now, on to the apron.

There are so many ways to create apron…..so do whatever method is easiest for you.  But here’s how I made mine.  I cut a large rectangle that was 38 x 13 inches, 2 little rectangles that are 6.5 x 5 inches, a long strip that’s 5.5 x 50 inches, and a smaller strip that is 1.25 x 11 inches.

Then I serged around the entire large rectangle (you could zig-zag as well…….or hem the side and bottom edges to finish them off).  Then, I basted and gathered the top edge (here’s a gathering tutorial if you need one) until it was about 10 inches wide.

Next, I turned my long strip into a really big piece of double fold bias tape by folding the large strip in half lengthwise and pressed, then I opened it up and folded the raw edges in towards the middle fold and then folded back in half on the original fold.  Then I pressed again.

Then I slipped the top edge of my gathered fabric inside of my wide bias tape, overlapping by about a 1/2 inch.  I also made sure to center the gathered fabric right at the center of the strip, and then pinned it in place.  Then I sewed along the entire open edge of the bias tape, making sure to include the ruffled fabric in there.

Then, I sewed the two small rectangles together with right sides together, leaving a small opening along one side.  Then I trimmed the corners, turned it right side out, poked out the corners, and pressed flat.  Then I stitched around the entire rectangle, about an 1/8 of an inch from the edge.

Then I made a tube out of the smaller strip of fabric and sewed one end to one of the top corners of my sewn rectangle.

Then I added velcro to the end of the strip plus a little bit on the back side of the other top corner of the sewn rectangle. Then I placed the bottom edge of the sewn rectangle behind the top edge of the other half of the apron, and overlapped by about a 1/2 inch…..and then sewed it in place.

And lastly, onto the hat:

First of all, I made a little knit hat that is used as a base to the wig/cap, to keep the wig hair from irritating your subject but also to tuck hair up inside and out of the way.  I just used some white knit fabric from my stash, which was already textured and extra stretchy but it doesn’t have to be.  I just used what I had.  And keep in mind, you could also use the bottom of an old white Tshirt.  And then turn it into a really simple knit hat.  Don’t worry too much about the shape or steaming it if it’s a little wonky around the seam, etc.  Also, you don’t have to add extra length to make a folded up band around the bottom.  I just left my bottom edge plain and raw.

Then, onto the rest of the hat.  I cut out a circle that was 14 inches in diameter and then serged around the outer edge.  (You could zig-zag as well.)  And also grabbed my cord elastic.  Your circle may need to be bigger or smaller, depending on your subject’s head…..but this size worked well for my semi-large headed 19 month old child.

Then, I left a tail of elastic at the first end as I sewed a really wide zig-zag over the top of my cord elastic that I placed about 1.5 inches from the circle’s edge.  (You can either draw a circle that’s 1.5 inches from the outer edge and line the elastic up with it as you sew or just eyeball it.)

Also, don’t pierce the elastic with your needle because you want to pull the elastic through this little makeshift elastic casing in the next step.  After you make your way all the way around the circle, leave a little elastic tail at this end as well and then cut off the extra.

And in case you are wondering, the pictures above show the elastic about 5/8 inch from the outer edge.  It wasn’t enough, so I re-did it so that it was 1.5 inches from the edge, like shown below.  You’re welcome for my trial and error! ;)

Then, start pulling your elastic ends to gather in the hat.  Pull it in just enough to make the hat snug enough to stay on your subject’s head, then knot the ends.

Now, its time to add your wig hair.  Add a thick 2-3 inch line of hot glue to the hat, right above the elastic and then press down chunks of wig hair.  Then repeat all the way around the hat.

Then, if you don’t think your subject will keep their hat on, you can create a velcro strap to fit under their chin.  You can either create a tube of fabric out of the same material or you can find some coordinating ribbon and add a velcro strap to your hat like I’ve done in the past. I certainly needed one for my little Chloe!

And lastly, the granny glasses:

For the chain, I just cut enough length from an old necklace.  At one end of the chain, I kept the chain clasp on and attached that to one side of the glasses.  To attach the other end, I used some wire and looped it through several times.

And that’s it.

Now your little one is all granny-fied!!

Now go and enjoy her!

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Featured, Halloween Costumes, Holiday, Sewing

Comments

76 Responses to “Halloween Costumes 2012: The Granny (from ‘Little Red Riding Hood’)”
    Missy says:

That is hilarious! She is the cutest granny I’ve ever seen. Love it!

Isabelle D says:

She is such a cutie pie!! Congrats on all three costumes!

colette says:

so adorable! She makes the cutest granny ever!

Tracy says:

She is so darling! Her oxygen tank would fit right in with this costume. I really love this theme, so so cute!

Nancy L. says:

Cute doesn’t even begin to cover it. Beyond adorable!

Amber says:

I love, love, love it!!!! You are so talented!

katie says:

This is so stinking cute… I think I might need to be this for halloween although I know I won’t look as cute!

palak says:

I’m just going to die from the cuteness! I love it!

Jess M says:

You did an awesome job – totally nailed it!!! And your daughter as granny is adorable. Big smile on my face as well!

Michele says:

Oh my gosh, how adorable. I burst out laughing when I saw little granny.

Paige says:

I did as well! I even called my husband into the room, to gaffaw with me! Soooo cute! Sooo love all three costumes! I can’t wait to see them altogether!

marie says:

Totally inspired! Precious!

Marie @ Lemondrop ViNtAge
    I am having a fabulous giveaway right here.

Shannon says:

LOL, best.costume.ever!

Mariya says:

That’s the cutest thing I’ve ever seen!

Jennifer says:

Ha! I just KNEW you were going to turn her into Granny! :)

Norma says:

That’s the cutest granny I ever seen! Beautiful pictures!

Emmanuelle says:

She is…SO CUTE !! You did an awsome job again this year.

Cassie says:

Love them all!

You could be the wolf dresses as granny. :)

Ashley C. says:

Extreme cuteness! How fun!

Tara says:

This is TOO adorable! I love reading your blog. You always inspire to be creative!

Diana says:

lol…freaking AWESOME!!!!

Lynette says:

Ahh! I love granny’s costume. Thanks for sharing!

Bree says:

She looks adorable!! All the costumes are awesome, I love it!! You have such an amazing talent and I’m so grateful you share it with all of us!!!

Tracy Rosenau says:

Oh my! That might be the cutest thing I’ve seen in a long, long time.

Amazing costumes! Maybe I will be inspired to finish my girls’ costumes now.

Susan says:

This is the just cutest I’ve seen in a long time. Glad to see she’s doing so well… Your grandkids are each adorable, your pictures are top notch, your instructions and creativity and humor are such a pleasure!! Happy Halloween!!

Melissa says:

Freaking adorable!! This even beats the penguin from last year but only by a little. Wow, you sure have some talent and some great ideas!

Julie Snow says:

I love her as the granny! She is hilarious and so cute!

Katie says:

Oh. My. Goodness. What a cutie!! She totally made me smile. What a great costume!!

Andrea says:

That’s so cute. I love the entire theme. I can’t wait to see the video!

Scary says:

Maybe you could be Red’s mom. Wasn’t her mom the one that prepared the treats to take to Grandma’s house. I think these are all so cute!

KathyH. says:

That is hilarious. And adorable!

lyn says:

Dear Ashley. Your kids look gorgeous, you’re creating such wonderful memories for them. When mine were little I’d often write then narrate a little play when they were dressed up, and mb daddy could be the swordsman with a flannel shirt and fake beard? That way the story can have as happy an ending as you like (no wolf getting killed off) and you can video it to enjoy and show at 21st birthdays. I just love your tutorials you explain things so well and the photos and comments are very clear.well done to you. Happy Halloween xx

Emily G says:

OMG! She is just to precious!
    You do wonderful work!

Jessica says:

This just TOTALLY made my day! She is such a cute little bug. . . especially as a granny :) Keep up the AMAZING tutorials– I absolutely love every single one of them! {now if only I could sew every single one of them, I’d be in good shape!}

emma says:

she is the cutes little darling ever, i know everyone has written this but seriusly this made my day, awwww….and isnt it a coincedence that she was the little o’l granny a few weeks ago when the poor thing was ill, glad she’s better and is look as bueatiful as ever :)

Kylie says:

I don’t comment often, but I couldn’t not tell you how cute that is!! Your kids are just so adorable, and what a great idea. :) We bought a costume this year, because I found the perfect thing at a thrift store for only $5, but you have inspired me to try my hand and making something next year…

Oh this is too much! Too much CUTE! Love it. Your kids will be a hit!

Sophie says:

So cute ♥♥♥

Amanda says:

Love it! I think it’s adorable that she keeps her glasses on and I love the chain around the neck. :) I saw another little granny one time and her parents had drawn glasses on her face with eyeliner. Not around her eyes, but little oval-shaped spectacles on her cheeks below her eyes, connected across the bridge of her nose. It added just the right touch and it was SO adorable. Yay for little tiny old ladies! :)

Jean says:

I love it!

Erin says:

My gosh, you blow me away with your ingenuity. I would never have thought of putting the wolf together that way–the fabric, I die, absolutely perfect texture. And baby as granny? I know 11 months of the year you are clever, but in the 10th month, your creativity really shines when you make your kids Halloween costumes. I hope you’re putting this in a contest of some sort, simply because these ideas are too good not to win! The best thing is because these costumes are so well-made and you think through all the details (knit cap under granny’s wig so the hair doesn’t bother a little one), it’s obvious that these are going to last years and chances are your grandchildren will be borrowing them!

Catherine says:

So cute!! I always love seeign what you come up with for your kiddos. They are adorable. I especially love little Granny. How perfect after her toteing around her oxygen for several weeks. You are making memories for sure

Bea says:

Awww! She is the cutest Granny!

Batya says:

OMG she is sooo cute.

Jess says:

I LOVE her little face! With those glasses! LOL…best one yet!

mrsblocko says:

eeep! Grannie is the cutest ever!

Sunni says:

Without a doubt, these costumes are the cutest I have ever seen. Ever. You are so good. :) I enjoy seeing everything you create! Thank you so much for sharking with us how you make everything!!

Jenny says:

Oh my goodness! So great!! She looks adorable :)

Kristina Noall says:

My favorite part is the hat with the fake hair. I knew you would make a nightcap (I love the zig-zag for casing and then just pulling it tight–I would never have thought of that!), but I couldn’t think how you would do the hair. LOVE it! Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

Lily says:

She’s the cutest! Such a sweet little girl. And you could be Red’s mother- I’m not sure you’d get much screentime, but you wouldn’t have to be a tree. :D

Michele T says:

Oh my gosh!!! I fell in love with Little Red, and then I was blown away with how creative and clever you made Wolfy…. but Gramma steals the show! Not only is the costume charming and sweet but your daughter is such a sweetie! Thanks for sharing… can’t wait to see the Huntsman!!

kate says:

the glasses are SO cute and funny! this would be cute even without the red riding hood theme!

Crystal says:

Ohmygosh, adorable!

Amy says:

Oh gosh she just looks so gorgeous!! she will get extra candy just for being cute!!

Liz Farnsworth says:

Oh my goodness she is just too cute!! I love this!

Gloria says:

Oh my goodness. Now I know why the wolf ate her. She is the cutest stinkin’ thing ever. I could eat her up!

LeeAnne says:

Oh my goodness, your little granny is hilariously adorable! So so cute! :)

Cutest Halloween costumes EVER!!!

Little granny is sharming!

rachel says:

hahahahahaha!!!! that is the funniest little costume ever! she looks BEYOND adorable and the three together are just amazing. well done!!!! :)

cucicucicoo says:

oh my good god, that is HILARIOUS!! so incredibly sweet! something about the baby face with that hat/curls is just the best thing ever! you are a genius to come up with these ideas! :) lisa

Julie F. says:

I love every single one of the costumes you’ve done! I also love all of the photos you take. Your kids are so fortunate to have such a talented and creative mom. What awesome memories they’re going to have!

Jill says:

I haven’t made these adorable costumes but shared your link here…..these are so awesome! http://www.jillruth.com/2012/10/saturday-digest.html

This just made me melt! What an adorable idea! She certainly plays right into the character!? ; )

Thanks for sharing!

Leah

so adorable! i love all three costume ideas.

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

Beth S says:

OMGoodness! This is soooooo cute! My kids are too big for this now but I have a small niece (she’s 2) and her siblings that I could make these for! Love it!

Dahiana G says:

Oh my!! This is beyond adorable!!!! Thank you so much for sharing this. :) I am thinking of doing this for my little gal for this year’s Halloween parade. I am thinking it will look great…she has those yummy cheeks like your daughter. :D