Artwork Display Frame

Just an update:  I know, it’s already October.  And Halloween is SO soon!  Good news…….the costumes are in the works!  Elli’s costume is pretty much done and I’ll have it up tomorrow or the next day!  Connor’s costume is making my brain work really hard to figure out an easier way to demonstrate the process.  And Chloe’s, well, the whole idea of hers makes me laugh.  So I’m having fun putting hers together.  Ha!  They’ll all be up soon though.  Promise. :)

. . . . .

My little 5 year old Elli loves her artwork.  She has piles of it.  Everywhere.  It’s on the fridge, laying on the counters, taped to walls, in between couch cushions, in stacks on the book shelf, propped up on my night stand, etc.  Do you get the sense that it’s taking over?  Because it is!  But remember how I feel guilty about throwing it away?  So I turned one of her drawings into a stuffed doll?  Yeah, I still have issues getting rid of her stuff.  Okay, I do get rid of plenty of her stuff (and she’ll never know…….because  I’m telling ya, it’s everywhere!) but I have to be sneaky because sometimes she randomly asks things like, “hey mom, where is that gumball machine that I drew?”  Oh, right, THAT one!  Hmmmm……..

So Elli has drawers and boxes filled with her little projects.  Sometimes I let her put a drawing or two on the fridge but after awhile, it becomes Clutter Central.  Uggh.  So she really needed a spot in her own room to display her work.

And here’s what we came up with.  A large old frame painted green, with rows of mini clothes pins to hang her art from.  (Have you seen the piles of old junky glass-less picture frames at the thrift store?  Grab one of those to use!)

Which sits above her desk, in the cozy little corner of her room.

She now has the freedom to display her favorite projects, rotate them whenever she’d like to, and clutter it up or keep it bare.  Whatever her little heart wants to do!

She thinks it’s pretty fun to now add to her bedroom wall art.

To show her how it worked, I just added some of her old artwork to the frame.  But right away, she sat down and began making more pictures.  You know, to change things up already.  Perfect.  Go right ahead!

Would you like a display frame for your own little artist?

Grab an old glass-less frame from the thrift store……..or your garage.  Because if you’re like me, you’ll have a frame or two that have been dropped during one of your 7 moves and are now without glass and are sitting around, waiting to be used for something.  Here’s your chance!  And you can make one any size but this monster is about 25 x 40 inches.  Nice and big!

Then paint it, if you’d like to.  Spray paint is awesome and much faster……but is so limited in color.

Once your frame has dried, tring some twine across the back and staple gun one end down and then tie the end into a knot, around the staple.

Then, because I had a big step to the front of the frame, I used a glue gun to push the twine forward, so that the strings would sit more forward when hanging on the wall.  Add as many lines of twine to your frame.

Add some mini clothes pins (purchased at the craft store) to your lines of twine and then hang your frame.

And let that artwork have its moment of glory!! :)

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Comments

36 Responses to “Artwork Display Frame”
    Tracy says:

I love this! I have seen the piles of frames at the thrift store… I think I will pick one up for my 4 year old. :) Very cute! Thanks!

sandy says:

Oh my gosh what a terrific idea. I have 2 GC in daycare and they are always coming home with projects. Perfect. I can’t wait to make them. Thank so much for the idea.

Diana says:

I did a very similar frame display about 2 years ago and it’s still hanging in my hallway. I use it to display our art, pictures and cards during the year. It’s a great place to keep little notes and things that we love without cluttering up other areas. I found one similar a few years ago from PBarn that was $180…. This was a great DIY for way less money and can match your decor.

Brittani says:

There are so many uses for this idea!! I have been meaning to make almost exactly this to hang in my laundry room and hang lonely socks up there until their mate is found. Right now I have little paper clips on a scarf … kinda sloppy and ugly, but saved a couple pairs of socks from their demise! :D

Brittani says:

PS You know this of course, but I have to say that little Elli is absolutely beautiful. :) I love the shot of her glancing over her shoulder. :D

Margaret says:

So cute and so good for all ages, it can be used forever and repainted as needed. I have done the chicken wire in a frame for my college girls, and a burlap bulletin board in a frame for my laundry room.

Brigitte says:

So funny, my son has that same desk, except his is orange and white. AND, we buy paint at the Restore, too, LOL! I have SO many little tubs of Restore paint (and some gallons, too, don’t get me wrong) laying around! :)

Shifrah says:

This is great! And perfect timing. It’s on my short-list to make a wall hanging station for the kids’ artwork. I was going to use twine and clothes pins, but I love the addition of the frame!! Thanks!

cucicucicoo says:

super cute idea! my 6-year-old sounds just like your 5-y-o: artwork EVERYWHERE!!! :) lisa

Diane says:

And your little artist is left-handed! She is after my heart! and that big grin! Oh keep drawing! and beaming! Sweet one!
    Thanks Mom for your interest in her creative ways – my Mom did but back in the day it was a little different! Now I have the time and joy to have more fun. Thinking I may have to grab a frame or two for nieces and nephews – they are coming into the creative time of their lives!

Thanks!

Janna says:

You knew someone would ask…Do you know what color that green is? I LOVE!!!! Green is by far my fav color;) And I am obsessed with doing that with frames from the thrift store;)

Emily says:

I may have mentioned this before but once things have been displayed and need to make space for the new a three ring binder is a great option for saving artwork. It keeps it safe and together, and you can do it by age. Then it’s easy to pull out and peek through down the road.

Kate says:

I love this and how it encourages to display and organize her artwork. Great idea!

Becca says:

My two little artists are getting new loft beds and desks for Christmas. These would great for over their desks. My fridge and pantry door are exploding with art.

manni says:

LOVE it!! what an amazing concept!! So well presented without looking cluttered!
    Thanks for the instructions:)
    Manni

My dad is a picture framer so we are never without glass :) I love this idea, though! Very fun!

O I love 2 sew says:

Oh! great idea! I am going to make one for myself to display my own drawing attempts!
    Does Elli have a window seat in her room??? I would love to have one of those. It would be full of pillows and blankets and paterns! (actually the patterns would relocate themselves from the floor onto the seat) :)
    Thank you so much for the tutorial. I am thirteen and I love following ing your blog.

By the way… my name is spelled Ellie. Do you pronounce hers the same way?

Another useful tip that I could use upon my old stuffs. My daughter loves to draw as well and would always cut the ones she draws and put it in her craft box. She’ll be thrilled to see this, and to see her artworks displayed on her room than keeping them in her box.

Corrine says:

Great idea! Our girls would be such good friends….same age, both crafty, both lefties. How fun would that be. Thanks for thinking of creative ways to decorate without breaking a budget!

Móni says:

Thank you for the great idea! I had the same problem… Well, I will solve it soon :) And I think my oldest has the same desk! (IKEA?)

Lila C. says:

I can’t find it on here… but somehow clicking on the picture took me to this page- so I’ll ask anyway! Are you the same person who posted the Fluttershy MLP Halloween costume from last year?? If so I’ve been looking for the source of this picture for a few weeks now and was wondering if there was a certain pattern you used!? :)

TamTam says:

This is so great. I saw at a craft store a frame that opens on hinges and lets you display one piece of art. It was kind of pricey still….even with the 60 or so percent off. But this is great where you can add so many different ones with the clothespin.

Anna says:

I like it so much. Thank you.

Kelly says:

What a great idea! I, too, don’t really know what to do with all the artwork by 5 year old is bringing hope from school.

Kristina Noall says:

What a teaser for the costumes! I will be back first thing tomorrow–seriously, I’ve been all anticipation. I woke up this morning and within a few minutes, thought, “Ooh! Maybe Ashley’s put up the costumes!!” True story! :)

Kristina Noall says:

P.S. I love this idea, except my 3 1/2 year old likes to take things apart. We bought a few of those cheap kids’ Ikea frames for his room, and they are now trashed. >:( He doesn’t like to actually sleep during naptime, that’s the problem…but I might try this anyway!

Lauren says:

I love it! Maybe a Christmas present idea; we are re-decorating the girls’ bedroom as their big gift. But a quick question: what’s the curtain in the picture? Does the curtain cover the window seat, or her desk, or something? My girls are sharing a room, and I am brainstorming ways to give them some privacy!

Deb Baker says:

Oh my goodness – that is the most fabulous idea!! Thank you, thank you for sharing. I have three children and was trying to come up with an idea (creative) for them to display their artwork. This is brilliant and could be customised (colours, frames) for each child. Love it!!

Dona Keyton says:

I was just reminding my son about how the wall ended up with all of his art work. What a great idea!

Lynice Power says:

My little girl would love this.. Because she loves drawing and painting. Definitely going to attempt to make this.

Leah says:

I’ll be using the frame idea, most definitely (as well as a zillion of your sewing tutorials!)….random question….what is the paint color on your daughter’s walls??? :)

Brenda says:

I love this so much! Have been going back and forth on twine or wire but I think twine is the way to go. Thanks! Hoping to complete it this weekend.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] O con un toque simpático para el cuarto de vuestros peques: AQUÍ [...]

2. [...] more artwork scattered on the floor.  Create a Artwork Display Frame out of an old un-loved [...]

3. […] O con un toque simpático para el cuarto de vuestros peques: AQUÍ […]