Give a Shapeless Top some life: add a Shirred Band

First of all, my thoughts and prayers are with those who were affected in both large and small ways, 11 years ago, on Sept. 11th.

. . . . .

You know how those nice tent-like shirts are very much in style right now?  Yeah, they’re cute.  But not on me.  (Oh wait, maybe it would help if I’d pair one of those shirts with some skinny jeans?  Oh yeah, those are even worse on me. Ack!)  Anyway, I need a little more shape on top, even if it’s just a little cinching at the hips.  It doesn’t give me an hourglass shape at all (wait, I don’t have one of those either…ha!) but it certainly helps.

I found this great orange top at Kohl’s. I loved the full sleeves and the key hole opening at the top.  So I tried it on in the dressing room and, ACK!  Yep, terrible!  But I thought, hmmmm, I’ve done this before…….I’m going to give this shirt a shirred band too.  And lucky me, I liked the results just as well.

Here’s the cute, but shapeless shirt before……and then, as you can see, after I shirred that sweet little shirt right up!

Instead of just hanging, and doing nothing for me, the shirring gives this shirt a little more shape.

Now, it’s one of my favorite things in the closet.  And it only took me, eh, 15 minutes.  Perfect.

And yeah, the perk of those nice tent-ish shirts being in style, is that they’re so darn comfortable.  Well, guess what?  Shirring a band around the bottom doesn’t take away one bit of comfort.  Hooray.

Glad I gave you a chance, little orange shirt! :)

Again, the tutorial on how to quickly transform your shapeless shirt into something a bit more flattering, can be found here.

Enjoy!

-Ashley

Comments

27 Responses to “Give a Shapeless Top some life: add a Shirred Band”
    Kelli says:

Love it! I hate those tent shirts because they’re so cute on the manequin and models, but on me it looks like…well, a tent!

Natalie says:

I bought a shirt almost exactly like that yesterday and I love it! But … it’s a different fabric, and it fits closer to the waste at the bottom. Otherwise, it would still be at the store :) I did try on a tent-like shirt yesterday as well, and like Kelli said, it made me look like a tent. A big, huge, tent.

Mindy says:

Post-baby, I love shirt bottoms like that (and am wearing a similar shirt today). They hide the 2.5 year post baby belly flab :)

ste says:

Thank you! I’m going to try this… now if I can only stop ordering shirts that are too big on me.

Anna says:

Thanks for the reminder to fix my top. I got one a few months ago with the purpose of fixing it after reading your tutorial and I still haven’t done it yet. Time to do it before it gets too cold to wear it.

Anna says:

I did it!!! It only took me about 30 minutes and that is because I run out of elastic thread and had to wind up some more. Love it!

Helen says:

Really cute!

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

lisa says:

So cute! I have never been able to wear those tent-link shirts, but I love the ones with the band on the bottom like you made. Very nice!

debbie says:

looks very nice,, i want to try that..

I am actually surprised at how shapeless it was before lol… looks great now!

simple brilliant genius. thanks for the inspiration!

Leigh Sabey says:

I’m so glad I found your blog! I’m also tall (6′) and I DREAD shopping. Even though I have basic sewing skills, I’ve never thought to just alter pieces off the rack to fit me! Brilliant! This opens a whole world of potential…how many shapeless, not-quite-right shirts are waiting for me on clearance racks and maybe even thrift stores? A shirred style like this, especially, would be great — I can buy a larger shirt to fit my shoulders, but then I don’t have to feel like I’m wearing a tent :). Thanks!

Marie says:

I love this so much. Okay, I have to go master that shirred band now!! Wish me luck :)

Jessica Hornibrook says:

I have a few maternity tents that could use some love like this…

maya says:

Fantastic! I have a really cute but terribly shapeless shirt in my closet – what a great idea! I

Jenna H. says:

I wish you lived next door! That is so amazing! I’ve been following your blog for a while but just realized I could comment without an ID. I look forward to all your posts! :) Thanks for sharing!

Jody says:

Holy! You look awesome!!!

Sarah says:

So I was at Kohl’s today and saw a similar shirt. I was disappointed at the “tent-like” style, knowing (like you) that it wouldn’t look good on me. Then I remembered your tutorial, so I bought it. Took it home, shirred the bottom and now it’s perfect. Thank you SOOO much for thinking of and showing us this! You have taught me to look at clothes in a whole new way. The possibilities are now endless! ….. oh and I can only see your waist-line, but I know you had a baby a little over a year ago- you look fantastic!!

Gia says:

So, I bought a maternity shirt that has this issue, but it also has sidetails, so on the sides, the hem goes down into a point longer than the rest of the hem. It literally looks like a circus tent, which is not great for my 25-week preggers body. Like I need something to make me look BIGGER. Would you ever try this with a shirt with a sidetail hem, and if so, how would you deal with the pointy sides – cut them off?? I bought it on a daily deal site so can’t reutrn it. And I’m NOT wearing it without a modification!
    Thanks!

Michele says:

Are there certain fabrics that work better to do this with than others? thanks!

Jenn says:

I can’t wait to try this. I’m very short (5’1″ on a good day) and rather well-endowed, so anything even REMOTELY tent-like or shapeless ends up looking like maternity wear on me. My boobs push the top out, and the rest just hangs down like a giant circus tent, making me look nearly as fat as I am tall. The unfortunate part about it is (as if the rest isn’t already unfortunate…hehee!) is that I’m actually rather slim, if you don’t count the little baby pooch that everyone gets after carrying a couple of kiddos.

So shirts like the one you made are my absolute FAVORITE right now. I don’t have to walk around sucking in my tummy and feeling self-conscious about my “pooch,” but yet if the shirred bottom hits in just the right spot (slightly above the hip but below the pooch, at the flattest part of my front), it gives the illusion that I’m that skinny ALL up and down!! It’s pure magic when it works right. And shirts like this hide “muffin-top” better than a camo combat suit. But waaaay more comfortable!!!

So anyway, I saw this post once before and I found myself coming back to it again, because I have a couple of “tent shirts” that I picked up on clearance that I’m just dying to try this little technique on. In fact, I have a shirt that fits me absolutely PERFECTLY that I’d like to see if I can use as a sort of pattern to take in the poofy shirts a bit before shirring them. Because when you’re so short, sometimes you can end up with TOO much poofy fabric. So we’ll see how it goes.

I’m not much of a seamstress yet (I’m a photographer, and I just don’t have a lot of time for sewing), but I already have a HUGE pile of “stuff to sew” thanks to your blog. You are so inspiring, and you make it all seem so simple! I can’t wait to try out the shirred-bottom shirt!! Thanks again!

Smiles, Jenn

Your website is really good , has taught me a lot .Today , I Did shirre a blouse!

Ananasa says:

We love your ideas in crafting! Thank you so for this amazing post, could be used many a time for a numerous amount of shirts. Really wonderful tutorial

http://www.ananasa.com- Home For Handmade