Parmesan Quinoa Bites

Remember how I eat gluten free?  And remember how if I didn’t have to, I wouldn’t?  Yeah, this ol’ body doesn’t do well with that gluten stuff……but I really wish it’d change its mind.  Because I miss a few things! ;)  But I make do with a variety of creative ingredients.  (All my recipes here are either gluten free, or adapted to be GF.)

So, when I come upon recipes from friends or online that are gluten free (or easily adaptable), I get really excited.  Like Christmas morning excited!

A month or so ago, I came upon a recipe for Cheesey Quinoa Bites, that had gluten in them.  So I changed a few things, altered the ingredient portions just a bit……..and now these could easily be one of my favorite meals lately.

And I say meals because Quinoa is a complete super protein and is very filling on its own.  Yeah, sometimes we’ll make a salad or some steamed broccoli for the side…..but these little babies are awesome all alone!  The original recipe suggests honey mustard to dip them into……which is my favorite.  But ranch is also tasty!  Or eat them sans dip.

Oh wait, you have never heard of Quinoa?  Well, it’s a seed (but acts like a grain) and is similar in size to cous-cous……but different in flavor.  It takes on other flavors really well and can be eaten as a side, mixed in with salads, or treated as the main meal because of its high protein content.  It’s a really fun way for Gluten Free-ers (yeah, awesome grammar, I know) to have another grain choice…..because wheat is off limits.  But, of course is just as fantastic for you who eat gluten too.  And really, really healthy.  (Here’s a simple go-to recipe I use often, when eating quinoa as a side.)

For these little Parmesan Quinoa Bites, just combine some quinoa, parmesan cheese, grated carrot, onions, herbs and some other goodness……..bake it into little bites, and you have a thin crispy/cheesey crust, with a moist savory center.  Yum, yum, and more yum.

Now, come on.  Who can resist a simple and savory Quinoa Bite, packed with so much goodness?

Ready to bake your own Parmesan Quinoa Bites?

Full recipe written out below.

First, gather your ingredients:

Then, grate your carrots, slice your green onions, and chop your parsley.

Add all ingredients into large mixing bowl.

Combine thoroughly.

Fill muffin tin pans (that are completely covered in cooking spray) 3/4 full with mixture.  Press into tin with the back of a spoon.

Add a bit more parmesan cheese on top.

Bake at 350 (fahrenheit) for 20-30 minutes.  Then enjoy.

So delicious dipped in Honey Dijon Dressing, Ranch……or your favorite dip.

And also delicious re-heated the next day for lunch.

(I’ve never frozen them and re-heated them because they never last that long.  But I’m sure they’d do fine!)

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Appetizers, Dinner, Featured, gluten free, Recipes, Side Dishes

Comments

92 Responses to “Parmesan Quinoa Bites”
    Laura says:

Yum! I don’t do cow’s dairy, but am going to try this with Manchego. Hooray for delicious gluten free ideas~

Angelika says:

I’m always looking for easy and quick recepies – thank you for sharing!

Caroline says:

Yummmmmmyyy! Love quinoa! gotta try this weekend! thanks for sharing!

Whitney says:

Have you tried eating one while it’s cold? I’m wondering how they would be if I packed them in the kids lunch boxes for school. Thanks!

Erin says:

These look tasty and easy to make. Can’t wait to try them! Thank you, Ashley.

Oooh, this look delicious – I wonder how they’d turn out done in mini muffin tins? Hmm.

I’m sure they’re delicious….just don’t bake them as long. The original recipe is done in mini muffin tins…..but I just don’t have any. Let me know how it goes!

-Ashley

Diana says:

Thanks for this recipe. As I’m getting older (only 31) my body it totally changing too. And, with those changes I find myself not liking meat, of any form really. Not to mention my 3 year old won’t touch protein with a ten foot pole. This will be the perfect dinner for us tonight. THANK YOU!!

Pamela Nees says:

Really love this recipe! Going to try it this weekend!

Erin says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have just been told I have to go gluten free this week, so I have been looking for yummy stuff to eat!

Haley says:

Thanks so much for this recipe, it looks delicious! I just noticed you left out the shredded carrots in your ingredients list, though.

Thanks again!

Michelle says:

Thanks! My 14 month old is gluten free, and he is not a huge fan of meat either, so quinoa is perfect! Do you have any suggestions on how to replace the eggs? or would they work without it? He is allergic to eggs as well, I have used Ener-G egg replacer but I have never tried to swap out more than 2 eggs with that.

Amy Jesperson says:

For egg replacement, try this: mix 1 Tablespoon ground flaxseed (flaxseed meal) with 3 T. water for each egg you are replacing. Let it sit ~5 minutes & then add to whatever you are baking. I use this replacement for anything baked. I admit I have not tried this recipe yet, but will this wkend. Glad to have a new quinoa recipe! (Am trying it with Daiya cheese alternative, as we can’t do dairy, nor gluten.)

Pamela says:

These look delicious! I love quinoa. It’s actually a seed though, not a grain. :)

How funny. I’ve always heard it’s a grain and have always called it a grain. I totally just looked it up to see and while many sites call it a grain, you’re right, it’s actually a seed. But just acts like a grain. How funny……I never really thought about it. But thanks for letting me know!

-Ashley

Brittani says:

Yum!! An excuse to buy quinoa! I’ve been thinking I should use that stuff …

DaNelle says:

Oh my gosh, this is so helpful! I recently had to switch to a gluten-free for a year long cleanse and I am DYING! I have already lost 25lbs from switching to whole foods, and I was getting good at those recipes, but gluten-free can be so overwhelming. Thanks so much for posting this!

DaNelle recently posted…The TOP 10 ways to save money, taken from the expert AKA my husband

StudioArtMajor says:

The recipe looks great!
    Maybe you have already tried this or maybe you have true allergy to gluten and it isn’t an option but… just an FYI
    Gluten doesn’t go well for me but often I can tolerate things made with organic sprouted flours.
    To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co. has been a great source for me but there are others, if you have any interest in looking into this.

Yeah, I have celiac disease…..so I can’t have gluten at all. Or rye or barley. Bummer. But I’m glad sprouted flour doesn’t bother you. I really wish I could though. Maybe one day they’ll make a pill……like for those who are lactose intolerant. I can only dream! :)

-Ashley

Pamela says:

^^Yes! Sprouting grains completely changes how your body reacts to them (more like a vegetable than a grain). I can tolerate sprouted grains on occasion, but never regular unsprouted.

I recently had to switch my diet to GF. WOW, talk about difficult. Thanks for a recipe to add to my meager collection. This looks wonderful! ☺

Laura G says:

I tried making these tonight… Except I didn’t have carrots and used beets instead…still, really good. Also, for a meal, it would probably be easier to bake it in a casserole dish instead of cupcake tin. I am going to try that next time.

Oh wow, I never thought to use beets. I actually like beets, so I may have to try that! And yeah, it would be great as a casserole too but then you wouldn’t have that awesome crispy (almost chewy) crust on each one. But a casserole would be faster! :)

Kristen says:

Looks delicious and currently making it for dinner tonight. I think you forgot to list your carrots in the last list of ingredients. I saw it in the photos but didn’t see it in the list, so I forgot to put them in :? I bet their still delicious though :D

I have a big block of fantastic parmesan –so tangy!– so decided to make these tonight. Here’s my take; I used the 1 cup quinoa: 2 cups liquid ratio, but my cooked grain was quite loose and wet. I drained it, but my “batter” was still pretty wet. I’d cut down the liquid next time to get fluffier quinoa. Also, even though I added no salt, the bites were still far too salty–maybe half broth/half water would be better. I SAW the carrots in the photos but didn’t notice they weren’t on the ingredient list so I accidentally left those out, but will remember next time! I also added some fresh basil and thyme because I have it growing. I will only fill the muffin cups about half-way, too, because the “bites” were a bit more like “muffins”, (this recipe fills one whole 12 muffin pan, so you’d need to grease another half-pan or so. I might use my mini-muffin pan.) Maybe some crumbled bacon? Bleu cheese? These bites are really delicious, undeniably nutritious, and the recipe seems like a good starter for lots of yummy additions! Two thumbs up–and now I know what to do next time.

Yeah, making quinoa can be tricky sometimes. The 2 to 1 ratio rarely works for the cooking time they give me on the package. I always have to let it simmer longer to let the juices steam off and let the quinoa continue to soften and fluff in the pan. I just keep checking until the water is completely gone from the bottom of the pan.

And sorry about the saltiness. I guess this could vary depending on types of cheeses and broths that you use. But, I guess all of our palates are a little different too. But thanks for mentioning it for others to be aware of.

And gosh, the carrots. A couple others mentioned that too and I just added it into the recipe. Not sure where my head was this morning! :)

But mmmmm, basil and thyme sounds fantastic. And oh, bacon and bleu cheese…..I’m definitely adding that next time. Thanks!

Charlotte says:

These look amazing and like you I am also GF!! I was just wondering, do you think I could make these with pearl/Israel cous cous??

Thanks for the recipe;)

Susa Glenn says:

Uh…. Couscous is wheat.

• 21.1.1
        Ana says:

Yes, it is made of wheat but now there is brown rice couscous that is a GF option.

I believe originally they were also made with millet and in some places they still do, but I do not know if you can find any in the US.

Oh, my, these look so good! I’ve been gluten-free for less than a year, still learning, and always looking for uncomplicated recipes- this fits the bill perfectly! Thanks so much for sharing. Thinking I might try them with a little bacon.

Sarah K. says:

Love all the ingredients – must try this weekend! In the meantime, I’ve got kale chips in the oven. Hooray! (I know how to live it up on a Friday night, right?!)

Danell Rios-Schmehl says:

Just in case you are not aware of the King Arthur Flour site, they have great GF recipes and ingredients. And a baker that you can email or call with questions that you may have.

Nimisha says:

Looking at these make me hungry …great recipe & Pictures

Lindy says:

I can’t have green onion, can I leave it out or is something I can substitute it for?

Monica says:

I am excited to try these! And I super love that they’re being eaten on your ikea plate…lol…a staple in this house. :)

Kimberley says:

Thanks for this! I am excited to try these- with veg broth.
    Have you seen this G-free treat?
    “Gluten-free, vegan, and full of fiber, socca is an excellent alternative to white flour tortillas, pizza dough, crepes, or flatbreads”

Is it wrong that I love you a little extra because you have celiac? Not only are you the most amazing crafter, but you have celiac too! In other words, I love every single post that you post!

Shannon says:

Where would I find the nutritional content for your recipes?

Carter says:

Made these last night and loved them! Even better the next day! Funny thing – they taste wonderful if I eat them upside-down (so my tongue tastes the cheese first! LOL

Bree says:

Made these tonight–my first time cooking quinoa–and they were yummy! Even my pickiest eater loved them! Thanks!

Awesome is the word. I tried this today and it turned out really really good! My husband loved it and so did I :) Thankyou for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Christie says:

Thank you for sharing this recipe. I am trying to eat healthier meals that are homemade this was perfect. Next time I am going to add some zucchini in to add even more veggies.

Barbara says:

Grains, such as wheat and rice, are also seeds. When you’re saying quinoa is a seed and not a grain, that would be incorrect. Grains – seeds – all the same thing. Flours are another thing entirely. Much of what we buy is processed, but they are grains just the same. The very definition of grain is:

1. a small, hard seed, especially the seed of a food plant such as wheat, corn, rye, oats, rice, or millet.

2. the gathered seed of food plants, especially of cereal plants.

3. such plants collectively.

Mrs. Chili says:

I made these tonight. They are absolutely making it into the Chili Family dinner rotation. Thank you!

These look good and I’ve been wanting to try quinoa – thanks for sharing your version.

Alyssa says:

I have found some really great GF products at OliveNation.com. They have TONS of GF baking extracts, pastas (they’re GF and really good, I swear!), and tons of other stuff that is really delish!

I can’t wait to try this recipe…thanks for the post!

Stacie says:

Making these right now! I didn’t have carrots so I used grated squash! I’m sure any veggie finely chopped and/or grated will be just as delicious!

Vone says:

Looks so tasty and I think I have all the ingredients in my house so I might actually try it. Just Pinned it – with thoughts of making it this weekend.

Nicole says:

I have found the Quirky Cooking blog to be very helpful for gluten free recipes.
    hope it may be of some help to you.
    Kind Regards

Jennifer says:

made these for dinner tonight: yum! I am excited to add this to our regular rotation and experiment with other vegetables and spices. Thanks for sharing.

Kimberly says:

OMG, these are amazing! I found them on Pinterest a few weeks ago and tried them this evening and can’t wait to make them again! Thanks for a great recipe!

Kathleen says:

Can these be frozen and then reheated?

Michelle W says:

As I am newly gf vegan, I’m gonna use egg replacer for the eggs, and nutritional yeast for the parm, and daiya shreds the the cheese on top. Thanks for this, yum!!

Michelle W says:

Oh and will sub vegan chicken broth!

Joanne says:

Are these better served warm or cold I want to make them to take to an after running club brunch.they would be in my car about 2 hours. It is cold out so no concern about spoilage.

Liz says:

I just made these…didn’t have muffin tins so made them more into a crab-cake kind of shape and cooked on a greased cookie sheet. I also substituted chopped fresh spinach for parsley. A good 25 minutes each side, for even browning, at 375…and they’re delicious with a bit of blue cheese dip! I’ll definitely make these again, perhaps with some worcestershire sauce and such so they can be served without the dip. These are OK without it but a tiny bit bland.

Thanks for the recipe!

Daniela says:

Huhh – sounds lovely…maybe trying it at a party next weekend…

Greetings from Germany

Daniela

Daniela says:

Hi there!

Has anybody tried them cold?
    I am thinking of making them as fingerfood for a party this weekend and would like to prepare them the day before…

Greetings from Germany

Daniela

Lacey says:

Delicious! Thanks for sharing, these are a new favourite!

Terri says:

I just used a recipe converter and found each bite would be 191 calories and that wasn’t even adding in the broth. I used a quantity of 12 because I could not find how many this would make in the recipe. They look wonderful, but that seems like a lot of calories. How many bites does the recipe make. Maybe I need to adjust the quantity on the converter.

Alice says:

Terri I just made these tonight. Using a regular size muffin pan I got 12 bites. I used the app Lose It to check my calories and came up with 115 each. That was with reduced sodium chicken broth. Hope this was helpful.

VeGROSS says:

Well, these were awful…the only one in our family who liked them were our 10 months old who would eat dust bunnies dipped in ketchup. Tried all sorts of dips and sauces with them, but could not get over the worthless flavor of nothingness. That recipe needs to be fixed or destroyed. I love exaggeration for the sake of making a point.

Lisa S says:

I made these last night and they were fantastic, even without any dips! Next time I make them I’m going to alter the health factor and add a tiny bit of crumbled crispy bacon!

Victoria says:

How many calories for 1 of these?

I made a different version but they smell so good! I added chopped garlic, onion and kale, plus some Swiss and gruyere cheese can’t wait to taste because they smell fantastic!!

Priyanka says:

Hello,
    I loved your recipe, but unfortuantely we dont get this ‘Quinoa’ in India. So can i replace it with something else?

- Priyanka from India

Veralyn says:

These look awesome! If you really love quinoa, then you should go check out this site: http://realsustenance.com/quinoa-flour-tortillas-glutengraindairyegg-free/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+realsustenance2+%28Real+Sustenance+-+via+Email%29
    the homepage is realsustenance.com
    The author does gluten free and paleo foods, but the one I’m super excited about is the quinoa tortilla she just developed! I think she is going to have a lot more quinoa themed recipes coming up. :)

Danita Courtney says:

Thanks Ashley! I am traveling and I want to make this for a snack on the road! I also sent it to my daughter who is pregnant and needs to eat a special diet! Love this! Thanks for all the modifications!!!