Fold-Over Button Pillow (home decor)

Thanks for entering the Canon Rebel Camera (plus gift cards) giveaway.  I was antsy all week, thinking about who might win.  I can’t hardly wait to hear who the official winners are.  We’re still waiting to hear back from all the winners……and then I’ll post their names. :)

. . . . .

Changing up your home decor can sometimes be as easy as changing up a few pillows.  And good news is, if you just sew them up yourself, it won’t cost you as much.  Especially if you’re just covering an old boring pillow.

So yeah, I had a little itch to make a new pillow today.  With an off center fold and button-up look.  Simple but cute.

No worries, there are no button-holes involved.  It only looks as if there might be.

And you know, it’s really fun to have busy pillow prints with lots of colors.  But sometimes you need one that’s a little more subtle……that gives off a single punch of color.  And throwing on some buttons still gives it some visual appeal.

And my favorite part?  Oh, I don’t know…….maybe the 30-minutes-or-less that it took me to make it.  And then, YAY, a new pillow!!

** If you need some other pillow ideas, stop by the Home Decor section of my blog.  There are several other styles and techniques over there.

Would you like to whip up a Fold-Over Button Pillow for your own home?

First, decide on the size of pillow you’d like to make.  I had an old pillow that I wanted to cover that was 14 x 20 inches, so I made my cover to fit that.  But you can make any size or even stuff your pillow cover with batting.  It’s up to you.

But, because my pillow was 14 x 20 inches, I needed a front and back piece that were 15 x 21 inches, which gives me a 1/2 inch seam allowance around all edges.  However, the front piece needed to be a little wider than the back, because of the fold over section.  My buttons were about 1 inch wide so I wanted my fold over section to be about 1.5 inches wide.  So I added 3 inches to my pillow front width, to allow for the fold over section.  So I cut my back piece 15 x 21 inches and my front piece 15 x 24 inches.

Then, I placed my front piece of fabric face down on the table and then folded over one end over to the back about 9 inches.  Then I sewed a seam 1.5 inches from the folded edge.  (You can play around with the fold over measurement.  If you want it more centered or more to the right, do some folding first and look at it to see if it’s just how you want it.)

See? There’s the seam.

Then open it up to the front and iron the folded section over to the right.

Then sew your buttons on.  (By hand or with your sewing machine.)

Then place your front piece together with your back piece, with right sides together.  Then sew all the way around, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance, but be sure to leave a wide opening along the bottom to fit your pillow inside.  Then clip off each corner and then zig-zag or serge the edges. Turn right side out, poke out corners, and iron flat.

And fold over the edges of the opening towards the inside of the pillow a 1/2 inch, and iron those flat too.

Stuff your pillow inside and then hand stitch it closed.

Now toss on the couch, add it to your bed, and place on a window seat.

There’s always room for more pillows. :)

-Ashley

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Featured Sponsor:

Comments

32 Responses to “Fold-Over Button Pillow (home decor)”
    Jennifer says:

Fabulous! I just did this type for my mom, but winged it and it didn’t turn out as perfect as I would’ve liked. Thanks to you I can refer to your tutorial next time. THANKS!

Karen says:

Looks great! Love the buttons! Have you ever done an envelope pillow cover? That’s what I thought this was at first glance. There’s no hand sewing involved and the pillow form can come out for easy washing.

Chelsea says:

I’m so making this pillow tonight!!! So cute! Thanks for sharing!

Andrew says:

On your make fondant page you said to heat the marshmallows for 2-4 minutes. We dont have a microwave though, How long would it take to heat in a convection oven?

That’s really cute! At first it looked like they were functional buttons because of the fold, but it’s so much easier that they’re just decorative. Very clever.

thats great. i did one before but without the buttons. next time ill make sure i add them though seeing the amazing effect and all.

mandy says:

I love these colors. This looks great! I’ve been itching to make some pillow myself :)

Amy says:

This is genius!! I made ones with real buttonholes and it took twice as long and my toddler was constantly undoing them until they just fell off.

Christy says:

So cute! Is there a way to make it so that it would be removable/wash able? Also, what material do you think is best for pillow covers? Regular cotton or heavier duck?

Nicole says:

This is so cute!! I was thinking about redoing the ugly pillows that came with my couch and this definitely fits the bill. Thanks for another great tutorial!!!

Shannon says:

Ashley,
    I love your blog!! Thank you for not just another great project, but for living room inspiration!!! The colors you have going on in that corner at least are just what I’ve been trying to get going!!! But, I seem to have vision but lack ability to implement with out extra instruction. If you ever feel inclined to post a photo collage of the rest of your living room decor, I’d appreciate it. But, in the least, what color are the walls? I picked out and painted my living room what I thought was a nice neutral and when I got it on the walls it has a subtle yellowy ness that throws off the yellow accents instead of accentuating them :P But, it looks like you’ve got that figured out :)

JaKell M says:

for the slim chance I won but never got the e-mail.. I am here :)

JaKell M says:

p.s. LOVE the pilllow :)

RobyGiup says:

Wonderful idea, and so simple to realize!
    Thanks for sharing! :)

Kelsey says:

That looks EXACTLY the like pillow we sell at World Market. Like… at first I thought you were lying and that you bought it at World Market (of course until I saw the tutorial pics!)! You are so talented!! I might have to try this on my own.

Nina says:

These pillows are very cute! I’ll try to make something like this for my living room

Mindy says:

I like when you can take the pillows in and out…perhaps this style would work with an envelope closure…except on the front and off to the side!?

Chris says:

made this pillow today. I have had the material for over a year to cover a pillow form and saw these directions this morning and it was so easy thanks to your tutorial. New to stumble and love it

Robin says:

I love your ideas and I would like to challenge you tonight. How about a few ideas to posh-up those store bought pillows ?!?! Accept?

марина says:

Спасибо за интересную идею :)) Забегайте ко мне тоже :))
    http://fljuida.com/profile/ Жду в гости :))

Andrea says:

Hello, I love you blog you are really amazing,,
    I would like to ask what kind of fabric you used? or what kind I will need to buy. Please.
    Thanks again,
    Andrea

No button-holes? Wow. And that seems so easy! thanks for sharing this.

Nueyer says:

The buttons give it a very nice touch! Agree that DIY pillow cases are soooo much cheaper than getting them from the stores. Here’s one I did some time back using japanese fabric, it’s a cover with a hidden zipper =)

Some of these debt services providers will give you savings
    from not paying the loan interest. You can take the money that you stand to save in
    interest in this case at least BPI was able to give me a rate.
    When you pay an installment loan and takes a little more conservative these days and the qualifications for getting an auto debt services.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] ve kare kumaş yastık kılıfı dikmek isteyenler için pratik görüntüler kalıbı ile burada VN:F [1.9.15_1155]please wait…Rating: 0.0/10 (0 votes cast) Reklam : Etiketler: dikiş [...]

2. [...] I saw this tutorial for an easy pillow with buttons and I knew I wanted one too. So I whipped one [...]

3. [...] I really like the combination of the yellow and coconut buttons on this Fold-Over Button Pillow from Make It and Love It. [...]

4. [...] Fold-Over Button Pillow from Make It & Love It [...]

5. [...] So, inspired by this pin from Make It Love It….. [...]

6. [...] the look of buttons, but hate to make buttonholes? This Fold-Over Button Pillow give a mock button-up look, without having to make that extra step (plus its a cute project too). [...]

7. […] De botões - Make it & Love it […]