Cinnamon Popcorn & Chex Mix. Oh Yum.

One of my favorite cereals is Cinnamon Chex.  It reminds me of Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal, which I used to LOVE.  In fact, while in college, I’d buy the generic brand with my roommates and we’d eat midnight bowls of that stuff.  Yum!  But that was pre-Celiac days.  Because now, Cinnamon Toast Crunch rips me up.  Well, it rips my intestines up. ;)  But Cinnamon Chex is a good replacement.

A few months ago, I noticed a Chex Mix recipe on the side of the cereal box, that involved cinnamon/sugar, popcorn and chex.  Oh yum!!  Well……after a few adjustments, it’s now a favorite.

The original recipe adds in chocolate chex too (no thanks……don’t mess with the snickerdoodle flavor).  And not enough popcorn.  So I fixed that recipe right up.

My kids think it’s the best “dessert” ever!  But really, there’s not tons of sugar in it, so eat up!

If you’re a sucker for a crunchy and slightly buttery but mostly sweet cinnamon snack (even if you’re not a huge popcorn fan), this will seriously make your belly happy! Especially since you can throw this together in about 10 minutes.  Instant happiness, I tell ya. :)

And let your kids help.  They’ll love every little step along the way…….especially the very last one.  Yum.

Want to make a bowl for yourself?

Okay, let’s get your snack ready.

(Full recipe is written out below.)

First, all you need is 5 ingredients.  Cinnamon Chex, popcorn, cinnamon, sugar, and butter.  Easy, right?  (And if you’re a nut fan, throw some in. It’s a nice way to add in some protein.)

I have used microwave popcorn before (the light kind with barely any flavor on it, so it doesn’t mess with the recipe) but I prefer to air pop my corn.  You need 8 cups of popcorn.

And, Chex has a few flavors of cereal and the cinnamon variety (which you need for the recipe) is delicious.  So whatever you don’t use, pour into a bowl for breakfast.  Yum.  You need 4 cups of Cinnamon Chex.

Mix the chex and popcorn in a microwave safe bowl and then drizzle 6 Tablespoons of melted butter all over.  Stir your popcorn/chex mixture as you drizzle, evenly coating the mix with your butter.

Then, sprinkle 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and a 1/4 cup of granulated sugar over the popcorn/chex mixture, evenly coating it all.

Toss a few more times, making sure that everything is coated nicely.

Then, place in the microwave for one minute and then remove and stir again.  Then microwave for 30 seconds, remove, stir again, microwave for 30 seconds more, and then stir once more.  (I guess it depends on the strength of your microwave, so adjust if necessary, but I found if I microwaved longer than 30 seconds the 2nd and 3rd time, it burned parts of the Chex pieces.  So watch for that.)  Then evenly spread on wax paper and let cool.

Now, eat up! :)

Enjoy.  And watch out, you may eat the entire bowl. :)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Featured Sponsor:

Filed under Appetizers, Desserts, Featured, gluten free, Recipes

Comments

19 Responses to “Cinnamon Popcorn & Chex Mix. Oh Yum.”
    allison says:

Yum, that looks super delicious and fun for the kiddos. A must try.

Maree says:

Now that looks yummy! But unfortunately those kinds of cereals are not available here in Maldives :( Will keep an eye open for them if ever someone decides to import it for us… Anyway, u really do post simple but effective stuff on your website. Its a pleasure visiting you website. Thank you.

AtoZ says:

Oh that looks great! I think I’ll use this recipe for the next family function. (:

Mara says:

Q Delicia!

stephanie says:

That looks so delicious!! Yum.

Jodi says:

Yummalicious!! I’ve got to try this the next time I get a craving for snickerdoodles and don’t feel like baking!!

Jenny says:

I don’t have cinnamon chex and it wasn’t on sale. However, I do have APPLE CINNAMON CHEX. I’m gonna try it. Have you?

Anna says:

Interesting. I’ve been reading up on celiac. We adopted out little one two years ago and she has recently developed seizures. I was seeing that there is a connection to people with Down Syndrome having celiac and there is a link between gluten intolerance and seizures. Interesting huh?! She loves popcorn and chex so I will make this for her! Thanks for sharing.

Amber says:

Love this recipe, but I had to comment on your pictures. I was scrolling down, enjoying your photos as normal, when I realized that I have both of the bowls you used. Weird to see a bowl you have in your own kitchen, even weirder to see two in one picture, from two different sets. THEN I keep scrolling down and low and behold, your son is wearing the shirt I have been deliberating on whether to buy for MY son for our upcoming family photo shoot! Now THAT’s weird. Ok, weird comment over, I just couldn’t resist pointing it out. SOMEone else had to notice the weirdness with me. : ) Oh, and you have fantastic taste if I do say so myself. ; )

almost healthly says:

i’d try honey mesquite, its supposeldy alot healthier than cinnamon, and has close to the same taste, even organic cinnamon isnt that healthy, just wanted to warn some of the mums on here for certain fatty foods that are a hazard to ur kids health , u have no idea how many gmos r in r food, and the government regulates it and puts it there

Nicole says:

This is one of my most favorite Chex Mixes!!!! Your presentation looks wonderful :)

Erin says:

Looks delish! I too love Cinnamon Chex for the same reasons as you. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah says:

YUM! I have been eating Cinnamon Chex like it’s my job lately and making tons of homemade popcorn! Apparently I just need to take it one step further!

Pippa says:

Oh yum! I have to try this.

Amanda A. says:

Just getting ready to make this (thank you for the recipe!) and realized that in the recipe it says 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and in the pictures of the tutorial it says 1 tablespoon. Just fyi to clarify! Thank you again!

Stephanie says:

Made it yesterday and it is devine!!! Wow, sooo yummy! Thanks so much for bringing this into my life :)

Bri says:

The kids and I made this after school today. It was YUMMY…I can’t stop eating it! Thanks for sharing!! :)

Theresa says:

This is awesome! My oldest daughter gobbled it up! Thanks for the modifications. Chocolate? Good riddance. :)