Tiered Maxi Skirt………a great skirt for summer!

Have you been enjoying summer?  The sun?  The carefree summer schedule?  Yeah, me too.  Except for record breaking heat…….which burns my poor little pale skin.

Have you been cranking out any summer projects?  Well, here’s some inspiration in case you need some.  Delia, from the adorable blog, Delia Creates, is co-hosting “Color Your Summer, 2012″.  (And in case you’re wondering, that sweet little Delia may be the kindest and most sincere person you’ll ever meet.  And her children??  Ack…..gorgeous!)  All I can say is that there are so many fun and colorful ideas/projects over at “Color Your Summer”, that you may need to hurry over and scroll through.  Like, right now!

All the different colors of “Color Your Summer” are completed by different bloggers.  And my color is………….WHITE.  I know, not super colorful.  But white is such a summery color to me.  And enhances all of those other colors of the rainbow.  So white seemed perfect to me.  And I know, white seems crazy to put on children……but I don’t mind it one bit.  Because add a little bleach or oxy clean, and whites return right back to white.  No problem.

So what sort of project did I make??  A sweet little summery WHITE Tiered Maxi Skirt

Ahhhh, light and breezy.

The different rows of tiers can be shortened and lengthened, to make any size skirt.  (And yes, I show you how to figure out the measurements, in case you want to make this skirt in your size too.)

If you make one in white like I did (which tends to be see-through)……… no worries. I’ll show you how to add a little lining on the inside, which I made short to keep the skirt cool.

And yeah, this is similar to my 3 Tiered Skirt tutorial here.  Just longer.

Seeing Elli in this breezy white skirt…….makes me miss our trips to the beach while living in GA.  I can just imagine this little lady running right along the ocean’s edge in this white breezy skirt.  Awww, I miss those beaches.  (And I miss our friends.  How are you, friends? :) )

For the full tutorial, head on over HERE to “Color Your Summer 2012″ at Delia Creates.  And then stick around, because she’s clever and talented, that Delia. :)

-Ashley

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

21 Responses to “Tiered Maxi Skirt………a great skirt for summer!”
    jackie says:

I LOVE that skirt. It would be so perfect for my daughter when we go to the beach in a couple of months. I’ve been looking for white skirts/dresses for picture opportunities and I love Delia’s blog, too. Might have to make one for me too! Awesome.

jennifer says:

This skirt is beautiful! I love it. I want to make one for ME!

Oklahoma Mom says:

I love it, I always get in trouble for making the skirts to long….

Cherie says:

Yep, I want one for me! Ashley, would you be able to quickly estimate how much fabric you would buy to make yourself one? (I am not quite as tall as you, but close.)

Hmmm, I’m not sure exactly, since I haven’t made one for myself. But I would grab 3-4 yards of it, just to be safe? Or you could figure out the amount you would need by computing the size of each tier you would need (using the chart above), then see how much yardage you would need (depending on the width of fabric you bought). And depending on the price of fabric, you could make this really cheap. I’m pretty sure that white cotton fabric I bought was under $5 but I have seen plain white fabric for $2-$3 as well. Anyway, hope that helps………and good luck!

beautiful! I love that kind of skirt! Well done Ashley! :-D
    Ashley (the other one ;-D)

delia says:

Thank you for your sweet compliments! It was a joy to have you be my guest.

Kara says:

I agree, could you guesstimate how much fabric you would need for yourself? Also, what type of fabric did you use? It’s beautiful.I’ve been wanting one for a longggg time, but don’t want to shell out the big bucks for one :) Thanks!

Kara,

Hmmm, I’m not sure exactly, since I haven’t made one for myself. But I would grab 3-4 yards of it, just to be safe? Or you could figure out the amount you would need by computing the size of each tier you would need (using the chart above), then see how much yardage you would need (depending on the width of fabric you bought). And depending on the price of fabric, you could make this really cheap. I’m pretty sure that white cotton fabric I bought was under $5 but I have seen plain white fabric for $2-$3 as well. (And yes, its just regular ‘ol 100 percent cotton fabric. Nothing fancy.) Anyway, hope that helps………and good luck!

Hagood says:

This skirt is beautiful! I love it.

Shayla says:

It’s beautiful, and looks easy-ish to make! I am also wondering what type of fabric it is.

It’s just a very basic 100 percent cotton fabric. Nothing fancy and kinda thin. It was probably $5 or less a yard when I bought it a while ago. Hope that helps!

Miss Bliss says:

What is the difference between a maxi skirt and a regular skirt?

Emily says:

Lovely! The short lining is a great idea. I also miss the beach.

Elsie says: