Remember when I shared with you the Downy Touch of Comfort & Quilts For Kids program several weeks ago?  Yeah, they’re the ones who gather and deliver handmade quilts to children in hospitals all over the country.  Such a heartfelt organization.  And one I was really excited to learn about and participate in……but even more, I’ve been so excited to hear YOUR enthusiasm.  I love that so many of you jumped right in and ordered a kit (or two) for yourself.

How is that going, by the way?  Has your free kit arrived?

Well, some of you are visual learners, so my last post showed how to assemble the Four-Patch-Quilt top…..just in case you needed it.  Well, several of you asked if I would show how to add the batting, how to machine quilt it (on a regular sewing machine), and then how to bind it.  Well, I have an older tutorial here, showing how to make strips of binding and then how to attach them.  But, there’s also another way, that’s quite a bit easier…..which is to use the quilt backing to bind off the quilt.  And that’s how I finished this one.  Finally. :)

And look, Downy even provides you with a little label to attach to the back of your quilt.  Now the sweet child who receives your quilt will know who made it.

I do have a problem though.  I was testing out the quilt size on my little Chloe…..and now she thinks it’s hers.  Like, she would not let me take it off of her and she sat here for a long time with it around her.  Even after the camera was put away.  I’ll have to sneak it away during nap time. ;)

And remember, you can DEFINITELY “quilt” this size of quilt on a regular ‘ol machine.  (What does “quilting” mean?  When you stitch all 3 layers together, all over the quilt.)  And if this is your first time quilting, this is probably the easiest way to bind the edges.

You CAN do this.  I’m sure of it.  And just think, what a great excuse to learn how to quilt and bind (or just get better at it).  Whoever receives your little quilt will surely appreciate it.

And just to show you how sweet and fulfilling it is to donate to the Downy Touch of Comfort & Quilts for Kids program is…….watch this video of a recent quilt delivery to the Montefiore Hospital.  (And yes, that is Chandra Wilson from the TV show Grey’s Anatomy.  She is the spokesperson for Downy Touch of Comfort and has an invested interest in this program, as her own daughter has spent a lot of time in hospitals.)

And before you get all nervous about making a quilt, just remember, your quilt does not have to be one bit perfect.  Just do the best you can and if you sew a crooked line and can’t stand looking at it, go ahead and rip it out and try again.  If not, you’re just adding character to your quilt.  And that’s why your quilt will be different from everyone else.  Got it? :)

Do you need help with quilting and binding?  Or maybe just a refresher course?

First of all, if you missed the tutorial on putting this Four-Patch-Quilt together…..the tutorial can be found here.

After you have your quilt top completed, lay it on top of your quilt batting (must be low-loft batting for the Touch of Comfort program), which is on top of the quilt backing (make sure the right side of the backing is facing down).  So it’s like a 3 layer sandwich.

It doesn’t matter if the batting is hanging out or is uneven at this point.  But just be sure that your backing is a couple inches bigger around all edges.

Then place pins through all 3 layers, keeping everything in place and to prevent it from shifting when you begin quilting.  I added a pin to every other quilt block and around all the edges of the quilt.

Now, it’s time to start sewing on your sewing machine.  I always start in the middle of my quilts and then work my way outwards.  I could have created the meandering look like I did on this quilt but not everyone has that ability.  So I wanted to show you plain ‘ol line quilting.  I followed the directions from Quilts for Kids and sewed diagonal lines through all the boxes……but I first rolled up half the quilt until I reached the middle, where I would begin sewing.

Rolling up half of the quilt helps keep it snug and out of the place while you’re sewing in the middle of the quilt.  Then I just began sewing from on corner to the other, sewing continuous straight lines through the diagonal of each row of boxes.

After sewing all of the diagonal lines in one direction, I re-rolled up half my quilt and started in the middle again, and sewed all of the diagonal lines in the other direction.  Then I sewed one line through the outer border fabric.

Here’s a better look at all those diagonal lines.

Next, I trimmed away the excess batting, cutting right up against the top layer of fabric (shown on left).  And then I used a ruler and cut the backing fabric so that it was 1 inch bigger around all sides (shown on right).

Next, I started on one side of the quilt and folded the backing fabric over a 1/2 inch.  Then I folded it over another 1/2 inch (up and over the batting and top layer of fabric) and then pinned it down.  Continue pinning this entire side of the quilt the same way.

The corners can probably be done a variety of ways……but here is the easiest and quickest way for me.  To get this this bottom left corner to look nice and neat, I first fold the bottom corner up in a diagonal, until it’s even with the top (blue) fabric.  See, it makes a little triangle (pic on left)?  Then, without letting that little fold you made slip, fold over the backing fabric on the left side over a 1/2 inch, just like you did above (pic on right)……..

And then fold it over another 1/2 inch, up and over the batting and top fabric…….the same way you did above.  But because you made that first little diagonal fold, it creates a nice and neat little corner.  Pin in place.

Then repeat with all sides and all corners, until your binding is all pinned in place.  Then stitch around the entire binding, nice and close to the inner fold of the binding (towards the inside of the quilt).  Remove pins as you go.  When you get to a corner, drop your needle down into the fabric, lift up your presser foot, rotate your quilt, put your presser foot back down (make sure that your needle is lined up with the inside edge of the binding on this new side), and then continue sewing.

Pretty, right?

Now, your quilt is ready to be shipped of for some sweet little angel to enjoy.

Truly worth all of the effort.

-Ashley

Filed under Children, Featured, Sewing, Sewing Tips

Comments

85 Responses to “Downy Touch of Comfort – Quilts for Kids, PART 2 (quilting and binding….the easy way)”
    Olivia says:

My Mom and I are getting away for a weekend at the beach and we are getting a kit to make a quilt while we are there. It will be a fun Mom/Daughter project and it warms my heart to know it’s for a child that is sick. I’m so glad you brought this to everyone’s attention and I love that simple binding technique! Thanks!

Candace says:

I finished my kit that they sent and now I am working on a second to send with the first. I am using one of the patterns on their website. They said they were in need of quilts for teenage boys so that is what the second one is. I just wish I had another quilt tag!

Jen says:

Candace, my mom is a quilter and she usually writes her name and the name of the quilt and date with a sharpie on a small piece of fabric and stitches it to the backing of the quilt as a tag. I love that she does this because her work is beautiful and it’s nice to know that future generations will have that connection to her. You might try that for your quilt tag!

• 2.1.1
        Candace says:

That is a great idea! I am going to my local quilt shop on Monday so I will see if the have any there since I don’t have any light colored scrap fabric.

• 2.1.1.1
          Charlene says:

I think I read on their website that they will attach a quilt tag when you send it back to their headquarters. I’m planning on sending a second quilt with my quilt kit quilt, and I’m going to pin a note on it with my name and the quilt name.

• Candace says:

Thanks Charlene! I will do the same. I made a quilt for a teenage boy since they stated they were in need of those.

Lana says:

This is perfect timing! I was just getting finished machine quilting my quilt that I ordered after your last post, and then I wasn’t exactly sure how to do the binding! I was going to ask my mom, but being as she’s thousands of miles away, this will be a little easier to follow! Thanks!

Traci says:

This is the very first I have heard of this and I am so excited to get started! Thank you for sharing!!!

Jacki M. says:

We just sent our quilt off yesterday! It was so adorable, I had to keep telling our girls that it wasn’t for them :) I talked about this a little bit (with a link to your blog which is where I came across it). If I wasn’t 8 months pregnant with a 4 year old and a 2 year old I would do another one. I love this new way of binding….I may just do it on more quilts…. Quilt looks great!

Thank you for sharing this! I have only made one quilt before and I just sort of winged it. Your instructions are always so clear and easy to follow! I haven’t had a chance to order my kit yet, since I couldn’t commit to getting it done in time, but I will definitely be ordering one soon! :)

Kim says:

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful charity with the rest of us, and for your clear, step-by-step tutorials (by far the best on the internet)! I am working on a personal quilting project for which I needed this tutorial on quilting and binding, and also hope to do a child’s hospital quilt soon. Looks like you may want to make Chloe her own quilt :)

Kelly M says:

Thank you! I’ve tried my hand at a few ‘quilts’ (which would more appropriately be called blankets!) and I knew this way of binding had to be easy, I’ve just never taken the time to learn. But your instructions make it seem so doable! Someday soon I will request a kit- what a wonderful way to make a difference with the skills you’ve got!
    By the way, your little one is just too cute with that quilt wrapped around her!

Juanita says:

Ashley! You make everything look sooo easy. Now I’m pretty sure I can finish my quilt within half an hour. LOL! I love that binding idea. I’m going to try it on the current quilt I’m working on. (Mine isn’t for downy, but I’m going to check it out and see if I can do this from Canada.) Thanks for taking the time to post all these wonderful ideas:)

Stephanie says:

Thank you for sharing! I have been out of the blog world for a month or two, so I missed your original post. I just requested my kit, I can’t wait to get it! I will have to conquer my fear of machine quilting, you make it look so easy, I love how you roll the quilt up. I make baby quilts now without batting and then I hand tie them. We live in Southern Louisiana, so batting definitely isn’t needed here :o)

Kai says:

For this project does it have to be the 4-patch you show? I recently got an Accuquilt GO Fabric Cutter and would like to try out a tumbler pattern. Is this okay? I would, of course, make it as close to the dimensions of your 4-patch quilt. Thanks! Love the whole idea behind this project!

Candace says:

If you go to the Quilts for Kids website, they will take any quilts within the guidelines of size, fabric, batting and thread. They just send the correct amount of fabric for their patterns when you request a kit. You can make any design though!

• 11.1.1
        Charlene says:

It would be nice if you could do a kit quilt…and include another with your tumbler pattern. It’s an awesome cause!

Samantha H. says:

I love to make things for charity and this program makes it so much easier…plus i get to practice my quilting skills. Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!

Christina P says:

How cool! I missed your first post about the program but one thing I really want is to learn to quilt! This is the best way, everything is provided and its a great cause! How fantastic! This is going on my Fall To Do list!

Erin says:

Wow Ashley thanks so much for sharing this!! I’ve been wanting to do a quilt but the binding has me nervous. This post has me confident that I can do it :)

Thanks for posting this! I’m getting ready to quilt & bind my Quilts For Kids blanket & I just noticed that there was no fabric for the binding! I realized I had to do it this way & I have never done it before. I mean, I’m sure I could have figured it out but it was just perfect timing that you posted this so I can have something to go by. Looking forward to finishing mine up & getting sent off.

Haha, I would have loved to see this last week but I think I did okay! I’m just laughing at myself about the corners – I totally made something up to try and get them to look neat but they’re definitely not as nice as those. I am so glad to have these tutorials though for the next time! This quilt was so fun to do :)

Esther says:

This is the clearest quilt tutorial that I’ve ever seen. Thank you!!
    Esther.

kadybug says:

I love your way of binding! So simple and quick!

I consider myself a quilter and have made several quilts over the years. However, it gets harder and harder to find the time as you add kids to the family, as I’m sure you know. This is one of the clearest and well written instructions on self binding I’ve seen. I have a book and could never understand the steps but now I’m wondering why I haven’t done this with all the table runners I’ve made in the past! Thanks!

Annette Rose says:

What an awesome program! Thanks for introducing me! I have wanted to make a quilt for quite some time, but with my crafty biz I never find the time. Knowing I have a deadline to get it done (because there is a wonderful child needing it), will get my booty in gear to finally make one! I’m so excited. I just went to the website and signed up. Can’t wait to get my kit! Love your blog! (even though I don’t comment often) Keep up the amazing work and tutorials!

tricia says:

I just sent my quilt out last saturday to our local branch in Alabama! I did this very thing on mine although I wish I would have had your easy to read directions! I just winged it on mine but I must admit that I set it aside for a couple days to get up the nerve to quilt it because I was big time intimidated by the thought of it! Keep up the GREAT work!

Tasha says:

First, let me say I love this blog. I talked to Linda the founder of this Program she is in need of fancy princess quilts and quilts for teenage boys. You do not have to get the kit. You can make a quilt from your stash and send it to the company or the local chapter. I am going to finish off some quilt tops I made for my daughter and mail them in.

Britney L. says:

I just finished one. Thank you for bringing this opportunity to my attention!

Adrienne says:

Thank you so much for this!!!! After reading “part 1″ I requested a kit!! I’ve been a little overwhelmed and a little nervous to start…..now that I can visually see what to do from start to finish, I can’t wait to begin!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful opportunity!!!

Tricia says:

I was in the same boat as Adrienne, above in comment 24, but you always inspire! I will be finishing my quilt this weekend :) And I must confess, I check your blog every single day!

Rachael says:

I finished my quilt last week and sent it back! It was so bright and happy I’m very excited to think about the happy wee kid who will receive it. Thanks for introducing us to it Ashley! (and don’t you feel great about all the quilt love you’re spreading?!)

cucicucicoo says:

great! i haven’t ever made a quilt, but i’ve had fabric all ready for one for years. now i don’t have any more excuses! :) lisa

Cherie says:

That’s for the tutorial! I have my kit but have been wondering about the quilting/binding part. My fabric is all John Deere prints. I’m glad my little boys aren’t real into tractors, or I might have a problem with sending the quilt away!

Cherie says:

I meant, *Thanks*

Jess says:

I just got my kit yesterday! Started sewing today. Unfortanately I need to get out my seam ripper and I also broke a needle (oops!). Our bobbin messes up alot too. Why am I writing all this… I dont know haha. Thank you soo much for the tutorial I was wondering how I was going to quilt it. Your tutorial has put me at ease :) I have never made a quilt before so this is alll new to me.

Charlene says:

have you cleaned your machine out and checked the tension on your machine?

• 30.1.1
        Jess says:

We have had it cleaned many times and they say everything is fine. I am starting to think it may be the line of sewing machines. We have two of the same brand sewing machines and both have this problem. I am pretty sure the tension is fine. When they cleaned it and checked it out I believe they put it on the right setting.

Kristina Noall says:

Thanks for taking the time to show your readers how to do this–it’s especially touching to know that you’re doing it to help this charity, and since your website is so popular, just think of all the extra quilts that will be made for these kids, thanks to your efforts!
    P.S. Since I had my second baby three months ago, I’m even more in awe of how much you get done. And my husband isn’t in med school!

Jennifer says:

I finished my quilt today! Thanks for the helpful steps on how to bind this quilt. I was about to make another run to Hobby Lobby and buy some material, but you saved the day. I can’t wait to mail my quilt out.

Tricia says:

Your daughter is incredibly adorable!

Charlene says:

I’ve got my quilt top done, and just trying to decide how to quilt it! I may just chicken out and do it the way the kit suggested, even though I’d like to practice my free motion quilting…but I’m such a perfectionist, I would probably hate it and have to rip it out!!!

Thanks for letting us know about this. My kit came super quick…and now I just need to finish it and get it sent back! Oh, and finish the quilt I’m sending back as a second quilt, of course! What an awesome way to finish up and get rid of all those quilt block of the month quilts I’ve never finished!

I missed your first posting about these quilts. I’m not a quilter, but I’m giving it a go. Plus I have plenty of stash fabric I’m working my way through this summer that will work wonderfully for a couple little quilts. Hopefully my kit arrives before summer holidays end.

fitri says:

oh Ashley, I wish I can see your finish project first – I got mine, and already sent them back but I though mine is a kind of sloppy work. *buhuuuuu.. :P* and I put the project on my blog, who knows someone else will do too, Anyway, thank you for sharing, have a wonderful summer break..

Carolyn says:

I need some advice on a binding. I have a baby quilt that I am binding but the material is trico (wow, how is that spelled?) and I am putting a ruffle edge on it also made of trico. I am experienced at binding but have never done one this way. Do I cut the batting so that it is even with the material or do I cut it smaller? Is it better to sew it to one edge and then hand sew it to the other? I tried doing the whole thing at once by machine, but one side looked good while the other had way too much material between the stitch and the original blanket.

Sabrina says:

I got my material in a little over a week ago and I finished it while my DD was at her grandparents. I must say, your fabric is much cuter than I got but I am sure the little boy that receives mine will love it. I plan to make one out of my fabric to send with it….I hope. I will admit my OCD kicked in when making it since I knew it was going to someone special. I got nervous about it but in the end, I was glad I did it.

Brittany says:

Thanks for posting this. My 10 year old has been in the hospital 18 days this month and she was sooo thrilled to get a blanket that was donated to the hospital.

Christina says:

My 6 yr. old is learning to sew after getting her own sewing machine for Christmas. So this has become our summer community service project. I don’t know who is more excited, her or me! =) The simplicity of the pattern will be great for a beginner like her and then I can finish it up with the quilting and binding. Gotta love a learning opportunity, a quality-time interaction, and a good cause rolled into one little quilt!

Gemma says:

Hi,

I’ve just found your site and think it is great! Your tutorials are fantastic and I have bookmarked quite a few of them :)

This quilt project sounds such a wonderful idea. I’m in the UK, so can’t take part but hope that there is something similar over here that I could get involved with :)

Will definitely be back to visit you soon,

Gem x

Leigh Ann says:

I really want to do this when we get settled in our new home but we don’t have a drop off station where we’ll live. Is it okay to donate them to local foster or homeless kids?

Priscilla from California says:

Thank you for this latest post on binding your “Quilt for Kids”. When I saw your original post, I immediately ordered a kit. I also started working on one from my own fabric stash. I’ve got both tops pieced now but was procrastinating about doing the sandwiching and the machine quilting. Your instructions were just what I needed to get me going again!

Jamie from Minnesota says:

Hi Ashley,

I just wanted to say thank you for participating and making the quits.
    My daughter was hospitalized for pneumonia complicated by asthma last month. Abigail is 5 years old and had never needed to stay in a hospital before. She was so scared when they moved her to the pediatric unit from the emergency room. In the first 5 minutes on the new unit, one of the nurses came in with a handmade quilt and a little teddy bear. The smile that she had was tiny, but it was more than we had seen in three days from her. She clings to that blanket now and even was able to return to preschool at the end on the year to show it off and explain how the nice lady gave it to her to feel better. She said, “it’s magic. I feel better really fast!” –with a huge grin.
    Although I know you did not make this quilt, I wanted you to know how much it means to the child that will get it!

Debbie says:

Hi Ashley,

I just finished the top of my quilt yesterday (first read about the program here, ordered by kit and started sewing). I didn’t know where I would find good instructions on how to finish it and lo and behold you post the second part! I’m so lucky. My quilt kit was a John Deere fabric and it looks so awesome. Now I can finish it with ease thanks to these instructions. I’m strictly a visual learner so I can’t thank you enough!

June says:

When you quilt by machine do you make your stitches bigger? About what size is best to quilt with? I love your site too. Lots of great ideas!

Emmanuelle says:

This is a very cute quilt. Thank you so much for sharing with us your work and tips, this is always so helpful! I love your blog.
    Take care!

Lexie says:

I’m so happy that you’ve showed me this! I’ve been wanting to help people, but didn’t know how. Now I can do it easily! Thank you so much for the extra directions! I would be lost without them.

Ashley H says:

I just requested a quilt kit cuz I recently bought a sewing machine and would like to help out with the program :)
    My question is, what is the size of batting I need to prepare? the website says 1/8” – 1/4” …doesn’t that convert to 1.5-3inch? I was really confused and would like to order the batting on Amazon before I receive the kit. Please help!! thank you :)

Hi Ashley…..the batting needs to be low loft (it should be listed as such when you’re looking online). And the thickness is somewhere between 0.123-0.25 inches. So, very thin. Does that help a bit more?

-Ashley

• 49.1.1
        Ashley H says:

hi Ashley!
        ohhhh so that’s for the thickness :0 no wonder why it didn’t make sense to me when I was thinking about the length and width :P
        so what length & width did you use for the kit?? thanks again :) sorry for these dumb questions but I’ve only done very little sewings before :P

My little guy has spent a lot of time in hospitals, too. He was lucky enough to receive a quilt handmade and donated by an anonymous person. I know how time consuming it is to make a quilt, and I was touched that this person made one for my poor, sick, little baby. It’s now his favorite blanket. He calls it his “Nite-Nite.”

I can’t wait for my package to come so that I can give back.

~Natalie

Jennifer says:

Does one need a special walking foot (or other kind) to quilt on a regular machine? I’m a newbie to quilting, so this has been the perfect project for me. :)

Priscilla from California says:

Ashley, I have a quick question about the machine quilting on this quilt. I saw that you quilted it diagonally, but did you also stitch in the ditch around each block?

Eva Scott says:

Thank you thank you thank you for this tutorial!!

maria says:

I love, love the look of this beautiful quilt and your intructions.

Laurie says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I wish I’d found it before I started my first Quilt for Kids last week! I’m glad I did find it when I was ready to do the binding. I love how you do it and so appreciate you sharing it with all of us. I’ll be finishing my quilt tomorrow!

Erin says:

Hi Ashley! I just finished my quilt this week and am sending it off today. Thank you so much for your tutorials and for posting about this great program! You always have such great advice and instructions.

P.S. I posted about my quilt here: http://takingtimetocreate.blogspot.com/2012/07/purple-purses-quilts-for-kids.html.

Jess Z says:

Thank you so much! I finished the top of the quilt yesterday including the borders. Now it is time for me to bind and quilt… Im a little nervous to say the least but it does look simpler than I thought it would be..

Jess Z says:

PS. Your little Chloe is adorable!

Tiffany says:

Help! I’ve pinned, quilted, stitch ripped, repinned, and requilted this twice now and I’m seriously contemplating throwing it in the trash. It will not lay flat and keeps bunching. What am I doing wrong?

Wendy Rupper says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial. I just finished my quilt tonight and I’ve only ever pillowcased the edges before on quilts, this looks so much nicer! I think Downey ought to have a link to your tutorial on their site for this if they don’t already!

Anna says:

I have mine ordered, I am so excited to know some little lovie will be wrapped in my imperfect creation, because it will be made with love! THANK you for sharing, I credited your blog in my application!

LindseyZ says:

Thank you for sharing this tutorial with us.m. I requested a kit and finished the top of the quilt easily but I was confused about finishing and the clearly shows me step by step! From a new sewer….THANK YOU!

Donna says:

This is the BEST tutorial I have ever seen. !!! Thank you

kad050209 says:

We (my DD & I) finally received our two quilts; one girl & one boy! My 3 year old is so excited to get started :)

Polly says:

I love your blog and this quilt!! Someone had posted a link to the first part on the Quilting Board and I found you from there. I’d love to look at the video but when I try, it says “this video is private”…..any way to see it? This is the best and clearest tutorial I’ve seen! I haven’t quilted much and want to do some of the Q4K quilts. Thanks!!

Lisa says:

Thanks to you & Q$K I just finished my very first quilt (ever)! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial, I would have been lost without it. The instructions in the Q4K packet might as well have been printed in another language, I had no idea where to start. With your simple instructions I ended up with a beautiful quilt. I’ll be requesting a second kit asap :) So glad I found your blog.

Sandy says:

Just a little question…when you start in the middle of the quilt for quilting…how do you manage the thread? Do you go back and forth a few times and just cut the thread close? thanks for your help. I will be ordering a kit soon. Wonderful project

Sylvia says:

I just finished my first ever quilt! Thank you for the inspiration and clear, easy-to-follow directions! It truly was as easy as you said, and I am definitely a beginning sewer. I can’t wait to start another one!

Leslie D says:

Best tutorial I’ve found!! THANK YOU so much for taking the time to post this. Makes it a whole lot less intimidating for a newbie to sewing (me) to finish her first quilt ever! And it’s for quilts for kids too! Thank you!

Darline Mason says:

Ashley: Thank you so much for introducing me to this worthy cause. I have two grandson’s 8 & 6 and their mom just had a little girl. They got grandma to purchase fabric to make their sister a quilt. I showed them your article and now they are very excited about making one for a child in the hospital. They are very good sewers already, but I think I will do top quilting for them.
    Thank you again, and God bless.
    Darline Mason

Irena says:

Thank you for this tutorial. and the idea for making quilts. For children n hospital I live in Queensland Australia this idea could also be a good idea for old people in care homes. To brighten up their rooms

Cindy says:

Your directions are amazing. I can’t wait to try this. Thank u so much