Chocolate Covered Veggies……(EDITED: April Fool’s!!)

I am constantly trying to convince my kiddos to eat more vegetables.  They love fruit and will eat just about any type…….but veggies?  Ugggh.  They cause me some serious grief.  So I have been trying to be a little more creative lately.  I’ve been hiding it in recipes, disguising it, and even telling them tall tales about super heroes who gain strength from eating extra veggies at dinner time.

Our latest success?  Chocolate Covered Veggies.

Ranch dressing is hit or miss in our house.  But give them a stalk of broccoli doused in chocolate?  Sold.  Every time.

All it takes is a second to dunk all of our favorite veggies in rich chocolate…….

……and then there’s no more fighting my little monkeys to eat their vitamin rich veggies.  Success.

I know, it sounds weird.  But really…….it’s strangely addictive.

These are some our favorites……but I’m sure any type of veggies would be delicious.

But don’t take my word for it, this face says it all.

Would you like to test out my tried and true chocolate veggie recipe?

Scroll down for the full tutorial…

It’s delicious……..keep scrolling.

Ha.  Did I get you?

I know it’s a day late but……………. APRIL FOOL’S!!!!!

Ha…….I can’t help it.  I love a good trick.  Even if some of you may have known all along.  You know me, I can’t pass up April 1st and all of the trickery.  Ever.  (Except when it falls on a weekend and I’m not blogging…….so then I save it for April 2nd.)

But really?!?!  Chocolated covered veggies??  Ewwwwww.  That broccoli picture up above was bitten into by my very own mouth………but ick, I spit it right out into a nearby flower pot.  Gross.  I couldn’t even finish chewing.

However, some of what I said above was true.  Wanna hear something strange?  My kiddos actually liked all the veggies.  (Except for the radishes.)  I gave them both broccoli, with my camera in hand, ready to take some “ha, this is how horrible they tasted” pictures.  But that failed.  Here’s what actually happened:

This little lady was curious at first.

But then dug her little teeth in……and actually loved it.  Right away.

And then this little guy was sure it would be terrible so was hesitant to give it a try.

But he finally gave it a little nibble…….and then, ha, I couldn’t believe it.  He loved it too!!!!

My kids are strange.  Don’t believe them for one minute……..it was gross.  Well, the carrots were manageable.  But ugggh, that broccoli was terrible!

I couldn’t even get them to take a believable “ewwww, this is gross” picture.  Little turkeys!

(Oh, and for the record, my kiddos actually do pretty well eating their veggies.  I totally lied about them hating them at the beginning of this post.   Broccoli is actually the number one veggie in our house.  Even the baby loves it!)

So even though my kids sort of ruined the gross factor of my April Fool’s joke………..it was still gross.  Don’t let my kiddos fool you. But hey, the best inventions are thought up on accident, right?  If you start seeing Chocolate Covered Veggies popping up in recipe books, you know where you saw it first!  ;)

Oh, and in case you’re new around this blog, here are a few April Fool’s Day posts from the past.  (I kinda love doing them.)

Last year I pretended that I had the best idea to tie fabric tassels and a bow to my toilet.  Ewwwww.

And then 2 years ago, I acted like attaching ruffles and such to my pots and pans was the best idea ever.  Ha!

I hope you all made it to the end of this post.

And saw that this post was just another Happy April Fool’s Day (a day late) post.

(Without fail, I always have some who read the title of my April Fool’s Day posts or just see the first few pictures, and then quickly click away…………figuring I’ve finally run out of decent ideas.  Ha…….that always cracks me up!)

. . . . .

Hope you pulled off some great pranks yesterday. ;)

(If so, do tell!)

-Ashley

Comments

61 Responses to “Chocolate Covered Veggies……(EDITED: April Fool’s!!)”
    Christy in NC says:

You had me there for just a second. Seriously! :)

Tammy says:

I was getting nauseous. Good one. lol

And I laughed at you spitting it out. :)

Mel says:

I wonder how many parents would give this a try, that thought cracks me up.

Rae-Lynne says:

I checked on here yesterday to see what you came up with and was sad to see no post. Then I immediate clicked on it this morning. bahahahahaha

RobyGiup says:

Great joke!!!
    I was horrified looking at the chocolate broccoli…. :D

Kristin says:

I’m still trying it. Chocolate covered carrots for after school snack. If they won’t eat them I’ll chop them up and make them into cookies.

Julie says:

I was totally scrolling down for the recipe!!!!!

LeShel says:

I seriously thought you were crazy! Thanks for the joke.

Kelly says:

I kept thinking “Really? Really?” as I was reading. Ha! Love it.

Stephanie Allen says:

I thought, “There is no way this would actually work!” Especially when I realized those were not chocolate covered strawberries. I am so glad it was a joke!

Vanessa says:

Hahaha! Thats awesome! I believed it and convinced myself it would actually be good! lol

Jennifer says:

I got as far as the picture of all the veggies and then remembered your toilet post from last year. Maybe next year I’ll remember before I read the post. :) Love that you do this!

Jen says:

hahaha you got me….I was making weird faces at the computer as I read your post

Gen says:

Is it sad I was believing you? But I was also thinking- wow the lengths some people will go to to feed their kids veggies is astounding! You’re removing all the benefits of eating veggies by dipping them in chocolate. You got me.

You totally got me last year with your toilet decor. I couldn’t believe it. I was in shock. Now that I know you’re a prankster, I was ready for this year! :)

You seriously have to read my joke. it was way too believable. I really hope I didn’t lose readers over it, lol.

Dianna says:

So wrong! I did not fall for your fancified toilet last year but you had me with these stinkin’ chocolate veggies! I am so desperate to find a way to get my kids to eat a vegetable that I scrolled down to write down my ingredients list! It really sounded awful, but I was going to try it. Excellent prank!

briePowell says:

Wow. That was good you got me like so many others. I was not going to try it but in my head I was thinking “some poeple just eat some weird things!” I am very glad it was a joke. I was alittle worried!

Barb says:

Darn! You got me! We’ve made chocolate covered broccoli and everyone who ate it thought it was good. My kids have been bugging me for more.

stefanie says:

yup ya got me! lol… All I kept thinking was…. eeewww… no way… lol

Ha ha ha, this is good! Although, being the chocolate nut that I am, I’m sorry it turned out to be a joke. I’m still half-tempted to try it out. I know. Whatever. :-)

Nicia says:

You know what’s funny about this…my daughter recently decided she LOVED Nutella with her veggies…which I suppose is somewhat similar? Hey, whatever works I guess!

Natalie says:

I kinda figured it was a joke since you were being so over-the-top about it … but you still almost got me :) Good one! And so cute of your kiddos to play along. I love their little facial expressions!

Emily Jones says:

Ha ha, Ashley you are hilarious! I love it! Thanks for a good laugh.

Lisa says:

Your kids’ faces are too cute! Well, at least you have another sweet, healthy snack they like! ;o)

Clover says:

Haha the funny part is my dtr loves most raw veggies. So this would probably be a hit here too.

Lynda says:

hehehe

Kim says:

Shoulda guessed it. I just kept scrollong down and saying, “Ew…ew…ew.” Thanks for the laugh :)

Emreen says:

Wow.. ! Ashley, You got me this year too… !! I was too eager to see the recipe ….;-) ;-) … LoL …

Ah ha ha! You are so funny! I love reading your blog and trying your lovely projects! It inspires me to be creative in my own life, and to share my creativity with others. Thank you!

Alli says:

Lol! Love it!! You had me, I was scrolling for the recipe… lol When my youngest saw the picture of the chocolate covered veggies, he asked me if I was really going to try “ruining chocolate” lol

Catherine says:

Haha I love it I was wondering what you were going to do this year. Although for a moment you had me going.

Lol! I thinking your chikdren ar April fooling you by saying it was delicious. ;-)

Mindy says:

lol you totally had me! as I sat here with a disgusted face!!

Julie F. says:

I would totally do this if I thought it would get my 5 year old to eat some veggies. She ate absolutely everything up until she was about 18 months old – and then she started refusing everything. She won’t touch veggies now, other than a teeny, tiny nibble and then she either spits it out or swallows it and says it’s disgusting. Luckily she likes fruit.

Wow… you totally got me! I was thinking “Ew, I don’t think that sounds good. But, hey, if her kids eat it…” haha.

Stacey says:

You got me!

at first i thought, “wow! this is a very creative person…” I really thought you thought it was good. I was going to read the
    tutorial even though I don’t like chocolate very much. Good joke!! I didn’t do anything for April Fools really.

Kristi says:

I don’t think I would try this, but I had to mention that I smell sweetness in the air, by my computer desk! lol Don’t know why!!!

Crystal says:

LOL! We save some of our best April Fool’s jokes/pranks for the day after! My Mama would always tell us, “April Fool’s is past, you’re the biggest fool at last!” I did that today on Facebook announcing that we had just discovered I was carrying twins – I’m sure no one would have believed me yesterday, but today they weren’t expecting it! It caused a bit of confusion! :) As far as I know I’m having a regular ol’ singleton pregnancy – though I would LOVE to actually discover another one hiding in there! This will be my fifth (or fifth and sixth if I’m lucky!) child. I actually meet with my midwife next week for the first time, so I really have no idea other than just wishful thinking!

Patty says:

Hahahahahahah this was so hilarious. I actually believed you! GREAT APRIL FOOLS.

Melanie says:

I must be desperate. My little one will not eat veggies right now so when I saw your post I thought, “Well, I think this would be gross but maybe this might actually work.” Haha. Guess I’ll have to try something else.

Julie Snow says:

You are a complete NUT! :)

That was so funny I was peeing my pants!

Half of me was scrolling for the recipe though! And your other years’ jokes were funny too! Now those are the kinds of April Fools jokes I LIKE!

cheryl stewart says:

You get me every year. Your past pranks were just as good. I still remember my feelings when i saw the decorated pots and pans, and my disgust at the thought of material on the toilet seat. I don’t know how you come up with the great ideas.

ITime got away from me today. I (senior) thought shes kidding? I tried them and like them. I laughed on April fool day when I click on you??? Shame but hahahaha I did. No one at my house has a sence of humor. Thanks

Jen says:

This was a hoot! And I *did* actually think it was for real for a minute. A little weird, but real. I was so thankful when I got to the APRIL FOOLS part. HA! Great job. :)

Tammy says:

I was thinking you were crazy as well, lol (and ruffles on a toilet and pots and pans), I bet a-lot of people thought you were nuts!

Sarah K. says:

You had me -hook, line, and sinker! All I could think was: gross! Now that I’m thinking veggies though, have your kids tried kale chips? Yum! My two year old is all over them, but my five year old remains skeptical.

That was too funny! Thanks for the laugh. I needed that distraction.

cucicucicoo says:

i admit it: you got me right until you said april fool’s! i thought you were serious or that you would say that it was actually something healthy that looked like chocolate. (perhaps i read too much of the blog “chocolate covered katie”!) but i must say, those veggies look just gorgeous dipped in chocolate! :) lisa

Daniella says:

You have had me in stitches. Thank you for the laugh! I read your choc dipped veggies post and immediately deleted the email thinking ‘this lady is nuts!!’ I am laughing so hard, this made my day:) I love the toilet bow and tassels;) you’re a hoot!! Have a fantastic week!

Michelle says:

Hilarious! Although I must admit that chocolate covered asparagus looks good…

I posted a recipe for Frozen Water Pops (http://rustsunshine.blogspot.com/2012/04/frozen-water-pops.html), and I pinned it to my April Fools board on Pinterest. Of course people were commenting “Uh, don’t you mean ice” but there were also a bunch of comments about what a great idea it was for teething toddlers or kids with allergies!

You never know what people are going to love…although let’s hope everyone realized the toilet ruffles were a joke! Reminds me too much of the carpet covered toilets of my childhood…

Danielle says:

The chocoloate covered veggies are funny, but that toilet seat was the best. I totally believed you and thought you were crazy! Thanks for the laughs. Your family is adorable!

Jennifer says:

You got me. I was trying to convince myself it was one of those things that sounds weird, but tastes good once you give it a try.

Christi says:

I was almost buying it, but thinking how disgusting. Of course it helps that I’m just now reading a week later… Here’s my awesome April Foolery:

The night before, my 17 year old, Vivian, was opening the back door and a little lizard fell on her head. Oh the hysterics! She and the 14 yr old boy chased it into the fireplace, where I’m sure it scurried up the chimney and out onto the roof into safety. All the while screaming like little girls! So, on April Fools Day I was pleasantly surprised to find 2 plastic lizards in my 7 yr old son’s room. I carefully placed one on the front door with its tail looped around the lock so it looked like it was climbing the door. The other I placed halfway up the stairs. As Vivian headed through the foyer to go upstairs, she saw the one on the door. Much yelling. Her boyfriend even panicked a little. They figured out it wasn’t real, he removed it from the door, she finally calmed down. Still needed to go upstairs, though. As she headed up she encountered lizard #2. Total freak out again! Finally calmed down, had the guys remove the fake critter, went on upstairs and back down without incident. Then as her boyfriend was leaving and she was walking him out, he reached for the doorknob and jumped back like there was something there. She totally came unglued again! She still hasn’t forgiven us completely, but it was just too good to pass up torturing her a bit!

You just wait! It is really fun having teenagers!

Natalie says:

That was awesome! another good one that people seem to turn their noses up to – chocolate covered bacon. Seriously, yum!!
    Anywho.
    I pranked my kids by putting blue dye (which washed off) and orajel (which didn’t) on their toothbrushes and told them to brush their teeth after making monkey bread with loads of salt instead of sugar. (Classic for conference Sunday breakfast). They all hated the monkeybread (glad I made backup cinnamon rolls) and only 2 of the kids came out of the bathroom with numb tongues. But it was SO fun to watch!
    I have some good ideas in the works for next year already – like tp-ing them while in bed, putting wet paint signs on the front and back doors, etc… I love this day!

Brandi says:

I’m reading this a couple months late so I knew it was april fools, but you have totally given me an idea for next year to mess with my kids and hubby with :) thanks! hoping I remember though LOL

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Chocolate Veggies, Toilet Decor, and Fabric Easter Pots [...]

2. […] 2012, I went on and on about yummy Chocolate Covered Veggies and how my kids loved them.  Riiiiiiight! […]