A nice Easter weekend (quick Easter/Spring clothing ideas)

How was your Easter weekend?

Ours was nice and calm…….with family around.  Including lots of rascally cousins, keeping my little ones extremely busy and happy. (Oh, and some really good food.  Yum.)

I didn’t make anything fussy for my kids to wear Easter Sunday……just a few simple things that are perfect for spring weather.  (And maybe I made them late Saturday night.  Eeek!  That’s why I didn’t share these ideas sooner.  Sorry, if you were hoping for Easter inspiration earlier on.)

And yeah, maybe the kiddos are a little matchy-matchy……..but when I found this tulip fabric in my stash, I couldn’t resist.

(And I think I found the fabric during a random “hmmm, I wonder what they have” stroll through the Wal-Mart fabric section, months ago.  Or maybe Joann’s??  The designer and fabric name isn’t listed on the fabric selvage.  It only says, “Fabric Traditions”.

And these two, ahhhhh, they have the funniest relationship.  They tease and giggle at each other all the time.  When the baby sees her big brother coming her way, she bats her arms arms around and swats his face and tugs on his hair, while he shrieks and laughs.  She’s actually pretty rough with him…..but they both love it!

Check out these Easter Photo Shoot bloopers?    The lean.  The fall.  And the rescue.

But this captures the sister relationship in our family.  My big girl loves on her baby sister like a mommy would…..and the baby usually lets her.  They play a little softer with each other than with my little guy.  And I love it.

Haha.  That same thing happened about 3 other times.  The little lady in the middle is still figuring out her balance.

If I would have been on top of things, I would have posted about their little Easter clothes a few weeks ago, to give you some really quick and simple clothing ideas.  But spring is here and summer is coming.  So maybe you are needing a few really simple outfit ideas for the warmer and brighter weather??

The baby’s dress is really simple.  There’s no special design or cutouts for the arm section of the dress.   Only straight lines and one basic piece of fabric.

The dress is just a shirred tube of fabric.  With some attached straps at the top.  I first created a casing at the top, then shirred about 9 rows with elastic thread below that.  Then I threaded the elastic through the casing, cinched it up, and steamed it to shrivel everything up. Then I created some narrow red tubes of fabric, and sewed them right to the top of the dress for the ties.  (And as a point of reference, the measurement of the tube all the way around, was about 3 times the measurement of my baby’s chest.)

(Need more help?  The whole shape of the dress with the casing and rows of shirring is exactly like the Lily Skirt pattern, sold here.  But if you want to wing it like I did, here is my tutorial for shirring.  Go and tackle it!!)

My little boy is wearing a tie made from my tie pattern, available here

Okay, yeah, and I made it about an inch too short.  I’m not sure what I was thinking (well, it was late…..I wasn’t thinking) but I made him a size too small.  Ha…..whatever, it’s still cute! :)

Little rascal.  I love his spunk.

And for the skirt, I was going to shirr it just like the dress above (and the pattern in my shop)……but I ran out of elastic thread.  So I just made a very basic skirt.  With plenty of fabric so that it would be nice and full.  And twirly.  I used a piece of fabric that was 4 times as wide as her 20 inch waist.  (Whereas I generally double the width of something when I want a basic gathered look.)  Then I serged the top and bottom, folded over the top an inch and created a casing for the elastic…..and left the bottom alone (because it was serged).  **TIP: If you are gathering in a skirt that is 4 times the measurement of the waist, be sure it is very thin fabric.  Otherwise, the bulge of that much fabric will be way too bulky at the waist.

A few quick outfits for Easter, that probably took 2 hours to complete all three items.  Not bad.

Sewing for little ones is way more fun than should be allowed.  And these crazy monkeys are such good sports, wearing all of this stuff made by their mama.  I’m sure that will change one day…….so I’m going to love it while I can!

Hope your weekend was beautiful.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Family, Featured, Holiday

Comments

46 Responses to “A nice Easter weekend (quick Easter/Spring clothing ideas)”
    Stephanie says:

I love the fabric! Their outfits are great. I ran out of time and didn’t even make a new tie for my oldest. He got to wear his tie from last year. Oh well. I really like the width of your tie.

Karen G says:

They look great! Such pretty colors! I actually finished way ahead of time this year. I made my girls’ dresses late Friday night. ;)
    Yay for a nice and calm Easter!

Jenny says:

They look adorable! I don’t think it is too matchy-matchy. Love that spring fabric :)

Tisa says:

you little ones are really cute – great pictures

I agree, they look adorable, and i think the whole matchy, matchy thing makes them look a whole lot cuter!

Leigh Ann says:

The outfits look terrific!

shirley says:

Well, they are adorable.. good job and cute pics

Emily says:

Love these pictures and the outfits! I wish I could get my hands (and sewing machine) on some fabric just like that. Do you happen to remember where you got it?

justjayma says:

I LOVE the fabric. So pretty! And I don’t think it’s matchy matchy, because one’s a skirt, one’s a dress. I love it. Can I pin this for inspiration?

Dianna Hall says:

Your BLOG makes me happy!!! Thanks for sharing all your hard work with us!!!

So cute!

Shannon Paterson says:

Our (yours and my) youngest are about a month apart. And her and her brother are SO ROUGH and they both love it and just laugh and laugh! And my older daughter is just like yours. Mini mommy! So cute! Wish I made it to Denver to meet you! We’re just in the Springs but it was busy! Love these outfits! Think I will sew some tonight!

Heidi says:

This makes me wish I had another daughter to make matching outfits! I guess I could just make the tie though :) I ADORE that fabric, I’m dutch so I’m a little obsessed with tulips. The pictures turned out soooo cute, they make me realize I need to start doing fun laid back photo shoots!

Aimee Bryan says:

So sweet! You always have the most adorable photo shoots with your kids!

Dorienne says:

Beautiful as always. Such a talented mom.

Martha says:

I love the colors in the fabric! Very pretty creations!

amy says:

very nice! I have fallen in love with the plain shirred dresses!! your lil family is so cute!

Patty says:

The pictures are just darling!!! I absolutely love the fabric and the chunky bow straps on the baby dress!! I will for sue be doing that :-D Thanks!

Barbara says:

Holy cow adorable! The outfits and matchy-matchy are perfect (:

Aww, they are so cute! I love the matching outfit.

Kendra L. says:

Ok all your kids are adorable, but that lil baby, I want to squeeze her!! The picture of her leaning back and then trying to keep her balance is hilarious. She looks like a very animated little character. :)

Kati says:

Love the fabric! So cute and perfect for spring/Easter.

Rachel Hipps says:

Aw! Your kiddos are super adorable!

Your kids are so stinkin cute! Adorable outfits, too! Thank you for sharing your Easter outfits with us.

Angela says:

Your kids are so adorable, I love the one of baby girl losing her balance and how your husband is running to help. The outfits are so cute and the fabric is perfect. I am feeling so inspired to try shirring, you have used it a few times lately, the dress is adorable.

Dorothee says:

uups, I didn’t want to send that. ;)
      What I was going to say is:

Wonderful photos. They are heart warming, and making me feel, like I need to have three kids right now. We’re still working on number two, though… ;)

Julia says:

Oh your kids are soo sweet!) It’s nice to see that the weather where you are living is warm, because here in Russia it is still rainy and snowy(( =/

When they’re that cute, there’s nothing at all wrong with being matchy-match!!

I’m a blog follower and admirer of your creativity! I’ve fallen in love with the fun, funky “wonky houses” quilt design! I’m organizing a swap… you get back the same number of blocks that you send. Would you be interested in putting your fabric scraps and IMAGINATION to use on something like that?

^^^ hit submit too quick ^^^

Here’s what I’m talking about… http://pinterest.com/erineieio/wonky-house-quilt/

Michele N says:

Gorgeous outfits and beautiful kiddos! I don’t even think I got my boys to somewhat dress up this Easter. It snuck up on me too. I also didn’t get any good pics other than from the egg hunt, which bums me out because I think even my hair looked good. Great job Ashley!

Jacqueline says:

I have always wanted to coordinate the kids but never actually did it. This is great! I love it!!!!!!! I want to make the big girl skirt! Great job Ashley!

Your kids are adorable!

Tammy says:

Cute little outfits!

sp says:

I am long time reader but never commented. Today I just couldn’t stop myself. Your kids are sweetest in the world. You are very very lucky to have such a adorable kids. That lil munchkin isjust too too cute.

Heather says:

Ashley, sometimes I think you read my mind! I was thisclose to using that same fabric for Easter dresses for my little girls. I ended up using some gray/pink/cream fabric from my stash instead (and I was up way too late on Saturday night finishing Easter outfits, too!). I know I saw that tulip fabric at Joann’s, and after seeing how cute that shirred dress turned out, I think I’m going to go buy some!

Lynette says:

The outfits are super cute, but I love the picture bloopers! They totally made my day. :)

Megan says:

Love your babies!!! Precious!!!

Anna says:

Love your kids! They are adorable and you are a great mother and wife! In the middle of packing and repacking you actually take time to make one-of-a-kind clothes? Four thumbs up!

Chaitali says:

Hi Ashley..
    I am from india.. i just stumble upon your site while i was searching for a mobile charger holder..
    It its a worthy visit..
    Your ideas are super cute.. like your babies…

Katie says:

Thank you so much for all your tutorials!! I am a self taught sewer, taught my self in high school but haven’t seen too much since, other then making nursing wraps while I was pregnant. Finding your website has sparked that drive to sw again, and the tutorials are wonderful since I am self taugt. I have a 7 month old and have already made her a few dresses and leggings from my old shirts and my girlfriends older daughters old shirts. Today I made the shirred dress for her! It worked perfect and were going to a beach themed bridal shower this weekend and it will be perfect!! I also bought the baby girl bootie patern and will be making them soon!! I can’t wait :)
    Thank you SO much!!

Elizabeth says:

Just gorgeous!! I want to make all of them! <3

Rachel K. says:

So sweet! I LOVE that fabric! I made my guy a vintage style shortalls jumper. I have so much fun sewing for him! Kiddos are so fun to make things for!

Abby S says:

Adorable outfits! Random question–what kind of shoes is your son wearing? Love them!