Turn a Purse into a Padded Camera Bag

Do you have a digital camera?  Is it a point and shoot?  A DSLR?  Or maybe you still use film?  Or still enjoy your Polaroid camera?

The nice thing about those little point and shoot digital camera’s is that they’re small.  And they fit into a purse/bag easily.  Plus, they don’t require extra lenses and accessories.  However, I don’t use a little point and shoot anymore.  I have a big ‘ol fatty DSLR camera.  It photographs a lot better than my old point and shoot and of course I love how in control I am of my camera.  But………….it’s bulky.  And takes up tons of room.  And I can’t just throw it in my regular purse without being nervous of it being knocked around.  There’s just not enough padding in a regular purse either.  And, well, that’s why they make camera bags.  However, all of the affordable ones seem to lack color.  And design.  I know, there are some seriously darling camera bags out there……but dang it, they are pricey little suckers.  (Most are well over $100)

So I decided to find a clearance purse (I found mine at Target)……..and then added my own camera bag foam inserts.  And saved a few (or, okay, many) dollars.

The insert can be taken out, in case you want your regular old purse back.  But mine is staying put.

Now I don’t have to worry about my poor camera/lenses getting thrown around.

And what’s cool, is that there are little velcro inserts that divide your camera and supplies.  And are adjustable so that you can create the right sized compartments for all of your stuff.  (This concept is not my own.  Many camera bags are made this way.)

And I can move the insert out of the way and still have access to all of the regular pockets for my keys/phone/etc.

Oh, and maybe you’d like to have a camera bag/diaper bag/purse combo??  This bag works for that too.  You can change up your dividers and put all of your regular purse items in one section……but then leave enough room for a padded camera section.  Just change it up how you need it.

Yeah, sometimes I can’t stomach a hefty price-tag.

So I love when it’s something that I can figure out and make work for me.

Do you have a purse you’d like to turn into a camera bag?

SUPPLIES:

**The quantity of your supplies will vary, depending on the size of purse you’re converting.

• A purse
  • 1/2 inch wide foam (I bought mine at Hancock Fabric.  It cost me $8 for a huge piece.  Probably enough for 3 purses.)
  • Fabric of choice (I used about 1 yard…..and I think I found it at Joann’s)
  • 1 1/2 inch wide industrial velcro (or any width……just make it work)
  • hand sewing needle and thread
  • sewing machine/scissors/thread/etc……..of course.

First, you’ll need a purse.  Use one of your old ones or buy a new one.  You’ll need one that has one large compartment and is a larger in size, if you want to be able to section it off with the dividers.  Or you could use a smaller purse if you just want to add padding to it and forget the dividers.  It’s up to you.

To begin, you need a piece of foam for the bottom of your purse.  Turn your purse over and check out the shape of the bottom of the purse.  Then cut out a piece of 1/4 inch foam (I found mine at Hancock Fabric for about $8 for enough for about 3 purses) that is the same size as the very bottom of your purse.

Then place your foam down inside to make sure it fits.  Adjust if necessary.  Then measure from where the foam is at the bottom of the purse, up to how high you’d like the foam sides to be.  If your purse is nice and tall (like mine is), you may not need the whole height of the purse.  You may just be wasting foam.  All you need is for it to be high enough to protect your camera and lenses.

I decided I wanted my foam to be about 8 inches tall.

So I cut a strip of foam that was 8 inches tall and was long enough to go around the piece that fits in the bottom of the purse.  Measure around the top of the piece of foam…….not around the sides of it.

Then you’ll have a nice strip of foam that will make the walls of the foam insert.  However, cut about an inch off of one end because after you add the fabric, you’ll be sewing those two ends together with their extra fabric ends.  And you don’t want to have to sew through foam. (This will make more sense in later steps.)

Next, time to cut the fabric.

**You will need to add extra fabric along all the edges to account for the thickness of the foam……so be sure to add a little extra to your seam allowances.

For the bottom piece of foam, you will need 2 layers of fabric that are a 1/2 inch wider than the foam piece, around all edges.  (A 1/4 inch is for the seam allowance and another 1/4 inch is for the foam thickness.)  Just lay the foam down and cut around it.  For the long strip of foam, you can either cut 2 pieces of fabric and sew them together into a strip (but then you’ll have 2 seams) or you can cut one strip of fabric and fold it over into a tube of fabric and sew it, resulting in only one seam.  I only wanted one seam, so since my foam is 8 inches tall and is 1/2 inch thick, I needed my fabric to be 18 inches tall to wrap around the foam. (8 inches tall on the front + 8 inches tall on the back + 1/2 inch foam thickness at the top + 1/2 inch foam thickness at the bottom + 1/2 inch seam allowance + 1/2 inch seam allowance).  My foam strip was about 37 inches long but I added another 2 inches at each end, so that I could later tuck the ends in and sew the foam into a tube.  So cut my large fabric strip 41 inches wide by 18 inches tall.  (Below it is folded in half under the foam.)

Next, place the two bottom pieces together (with right sides together) and sew all the way around with your 1/2 inch seam allowance, leaving a few inch opening on one side.

Turn it right side out and put your foam inside.  You’ll have to fold it in half to wriggle it in there…..but it will get in there eventually.  Promise. :)

Then tuck the raw edges inside and hand-stitch the opening closed.  (Need help with hand-stitching?  Click here.)

Next, open up your strip of fabric and sew some strips of velcro to one half of the strip.  Be sure that you aren’t going down too far to be caught in the seam allowances…….and leave 2 inches free on each end to stay out of the way of each end seam too.  I used 1 1/2 wide industrial strength velcro (I found it at Hancock Fabric) which worked great for this.  I only needed 2 strips to cover a good majority of this half of the fabric.  (If you can’t locate any really wide fabric, sew several narrow strips of velcro to this section of the fabric.)  You just want enough velcro here to keep your dividers nice and secure.  **Make sure and use the SOFT side of the veclro here so that the velcro not in use will not scratch your camera.

Then fold this fabric in half length-wise (with right sides together) and sew into a tube (using your 1/2 inch seam allowance).  Then turn it right side out and maneuver your foam inside.  Like I mentioned before, folding the foam in half and then sliding it in there works best.  But then wriggle it around in there until it’s nice and flat and the side seam is along the bottom of the foam.

Then, tuck each end under about a 1/2 inch and then sew each end closed, then sew another seam, nice and close to your foam, creating a little flap on the end.  Do the same thing to the other end.

Next, fold your fabric covered foam strip into a circle, overlap the ends, then sew them together.

Then, place the bottom together with the circle and pin them in place.  Then hand stitch the bottom right to the sides……to keep the pieces together.  (Need help with hand-stitching?  Click here.)

Next, you need little inserts.  I didn’t want mine quite as tall as the foam sides…..only 7 inches instead of 8.  And as far as how wide…….you may want them wider than the base of your purse like I did.  Once you put your foam base down into your purse, the sides kind of open up with the shape of the purse.  If I wanted my foam walls to be rigid and just go straight up, I probably would have only cut my little inserts 5.5 inches wide.  But I wanted this foam section to open up a bit, giving me more room inside of it, so I cut them 7.5 inches wide.  So each of my little inserts were 7 x 7.5 inches.

I cut 2 pieces of fabric for each insert that were 1/2 inch taller on the top and the bottom and 2 inches wider at each side.  So I cut 2 pieces of fabric for each of my 2 inserts that were 8 inches tall and 12.5 inches wide.  I sewed 2 of the fabric pieces together, with right sides together, along the top and the bottom.  Then I turned it right side out and placed my foam inside.

Next, I turned the ends in a 1/2 inch and sewed them closed with 2 seams, just like I did above with the bigger foam strip.  Then I cut some of the other half of the 1.5 inch wide velcro strips, into more narrow strips to fit the flaps on each end (about 3/4 inch for me).  Then I sewed the velcro right onto each end flap of the foam insert.  Both on the same side of the insert.  Do the same thing with your other foam insert (or more if you decide you want more inserts).

And that, my friends, is all you need to do.

Just place your foam inserts into your purse and load it up with all your gear.  And you’re all set!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Accessory, Featured, Miscellaneous, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

145 Responses to “Turn a Purse into a Padded Camera Bag”
    Renonda says:

I had to pin this I liked it so much!

Deb says:

Your post couldn’t have come at a better time! I got a new camera and am planning a little trip for next week. Looked online at some of the cute purse/camera bags but cringed at the price. Thanks to you, I know what I’m making this afternoon!

Julie says:

Love it! Great idea! And pretty too!!!!

Bridget says:

I love this! Thanks so much for posting the detailed images of the process! =)

Rachel says:

This is an ingenious idea! Definitely going to try it some day. Love the diaper bag idea. It would also work as a laptop bag if you had the right sized purse!

AgKe says:

fantastyczna torba:)

Amanda S says:

Love it! I’ve seen a couple other plans for these kinds of diy camera bags, but they always seemed so complicated or the result looked very amateurish. Your plan is great – can’t wait to make it!

On another note, what is the fabric you are using and where can I find it? It’s exactly what I’ve been looking for to use for pillows on my couch :)

julianne says:

WOW! i don’t know what else to say….you are so talented!!

Jamie says:

You are soo cool! Love this idea! Great fabrics too.

Kristen says:

This is a great tutorial. Just in time for my new camera. Thank you!!!

Carrie says:

I LOVE YOU, but where was this idea a month ago when I was trying to do this same thing?!? LOL I muddled thru, but when I am ready to make a new one, I will definitely follow your lead! Thank you for all the great tutorials and information you give us!

katie says:

i looooooooove it! :)

Lynn Darda says:

This is such a fabulous idea! I personally would not have the patience to make one but it is a great idea!

Karilee says:

This is super duper awesome!!
    Let the purse hunt commence!!

Sarah says:

This is amazing! I love it! I had the hardest time finding a cool looking/affordable camera bag. I wish I would have done this instead of dropping $200 on the bag I have!! I love how versatile it is. Great job!

Mallorie says:

LOVE THIS!!!
    Do you mind telling me what kind of camera you have? I am in the market and would love suggestions of a good camera.

SheilaG says:

Great idea! I have just the purse for this project. Now if I only had the camera to go with it! :)

jules says:

I LOVE this and have the exact same purse!!! Looks like I found my weekend project!

Melissa says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I have a JoTote bu I find it isn’t big enough for all the baby gear that I’m currently sporting around ;)

emii says:

Smart! Totally love it!

Sarai Stine says:

I have seen many purses turned camera bag and this is by far the best!!!

Rachel G. says:

I LOVE this post! I think it’s my favorite DIY that you’ve ever done!!

Melanie says:

Wow! I am definitely going to have to make this. Too often I don’t take my camera with me because it’s just one more thing to carry but with this I can take the camera and the diaper bag and not miss out on the pictures. Thanks for sharing!

Allison A says:

Another favorite. Good job, you.

I’m just waiting for the big bucks to come rollin’ in, then I’m totally buying a Fancy-Schmancy camera. Then I’ll have to make a bag like this.

Heather G says:

OMG! I have been searching for an alternative to the bulky, not all that cute camera bag I currently have. I need something new because my then fiance, now husband, got me a new wide angle lens for our DSLR for Christmas, which means I have out-grown my current bag, and I am in need of a new one. So if your are searching for a new one,anyways, why not look for cute, right?! I found one I love, but cannot bear to break the crafting budget with a new $100+ camera bag.

I came to your site looking at the velcro flips, went to the home page and found this!! Timing was absolutely perfect. Plus the hubby just asked about why the camera is not put away correctly…PRO-JECT!! Yes…I actually just sang that!

P.S. The flips are now back in the crafting budget…it’s a 2-for-1! Sweet!

emily ann says:

Okay. What is the name of that fabric? I seriously LOVE it! :)

Ruby says:

I love this tutorial! I made a camera bag from a purse I bought at Target which I blogged about here: http://zaaberry.blogspot.com/2011/08/new-lens-and-new-bag.html

I followed a tutorial that used cardboard, and though it works, it’s a little stiffer than I’d like. Maybe I’ll just have to remake it using your tute!

Thanks!

OH my word this is brillant! I’ve been eying those expensive camera purses too but there is no way I can afford it. I’m totally going to make this! Great job!

Jessica says:

This is incredible!!! I just love your blog. Thank you for sharing your talent!!

Jessica says:

Oh My! I’m in LOVE! This just moved to the top of my long must-make list!!!

Jess M says:

I just bought a DSLR and was looking for a bag and they are either plain jane u-g-l-y or cut and $$$$. This fits the bill!! I have plenty of purses to use. Can’t wait to get some foam :) Thanks!!

Miya says:

Love it! I need to take my Canon Rebel T2i out to play more often And I made a shirt from that fabric :-). It’s this one: http://www.joann.com/keepsake-calico-fabric-multi-mod-floral/zprd_01843143a/

Great DIY… P.S. This post was al over my DIY pinterest explore page today :)

Inge says:

LOOOOOOVE it! Can I buy one from you?

Tami says:

Genius. Absolutely genius.

cucicucicoo says:

fantastic idea! regular camera bags are always so ugly. what i want to know is: how did you manage to take good pictures of the bag with your good camera inside it? ;) lisa

Carrie says:

Awesome! I could never justify spending a lot of moolah on a cute camera bag. This is perfect. Thank you for sharing!

sherrychiang says:

Wow, really good tutorial! I want to try it someday.
    (Thank you for your Fabric Storage Boxes tutorial, I made a great box for my girl. She loves it so much!)

Patty says:

Thanks for the tutorial!! I definitely need one of these. Love that print! Bought a couple of yards of it myself.

Erin says:

What a great idea! It would work really well as a purse organizer too. May just have to make one. :-) Thanks for the tutorial!

cindy says:

i made one like that last year for a trip i took to washington dc as a chaperone for my son’s 8th grade class. super easy and so much cheaper…. http://camerasandchaos.blogspot.com/2011/03/necessity-is-mother-of-invention.html

cindy

Malaika says:

This is a GREAT idea! And perfect timing, too…I owe my daughter a camera case (we swapped….her old laptop for a new camera bag), and I think this might be the perfect thing! And the fabric you made yours out of just so happens to be my current all-time favorite print, too!

Thanks so much for taking the time to put this together and share with us!

Blessings,
    Malaika.

Cindy says:

I did the same thing. I got a new camera at Christmas and loved the “pretty” camera bags but wasn’t about to pay $150.00+. Great minds think alike.

Rachael says:

Ack! Bless you for sharing this tutorial! It looks fabulous and perfect and is going at the top of my long sewing to-do list. I’m thinking thrift store shopping for the purse. :D I am super excited about this. Thanks!

Sarah K. says:

Fantastic! I really don’t care for our camera bag – I usually just tos the camera in the diaper bag. This sounds like a much better option!

Heather says:

FANTASTIC idea. Thanks so much for the excellent tutorial!

becky says:

Love this! I have just the perfect bag to use.

Liz says:

I love love LOVE this. I am going to make one as a baby changing bag. No use for one for a camera (yet).

Sarah says:

Brilliant!

Leonie-Australia says:

Thanks so much for sharing the tutorial, I have been going around the net trying to find a how to on making a camera bag insert & now you have provided it, thanks so much!

Jess says:

When did you find that bag at target? I love it!!!

megbrothers says:

i am dying to find this bag. i can’t stop thinking about it! if you find out any info on the brand or any info that would help me search it, i’d LOVE to know.

Sandi says:

I would really love to make this as a post on my blog, giving you full credit for a wonderful idea! I hate the look of the store bought bags and this is so cute. Thanks for all the effort.

sharla says:

dang you clever ashley! You are too clever. This idea crossed my mind, but I forked out the $100 and bought one that arrived yesterday. It is from cheeky lime and it is really cute. Anyway I have several of your clever projects started that I have yet to finish- example- car seat cover. And my baby is about 8 months old. oops.
    You are so clever and I love all your work- my jaw drops everytime I read your posts. amazing.

Darcie says:

Awesome tutorial! Your bag is adorable…love the print you used!

May I pin this on Pinterest?

Lynda Beaulieu says:

Ashley,since you are so good at providing instruction to us sewing novices, do you think you could write a tutorial about packing to move. I have to move in a year, and i DON’T

bing ramones says:

awesome!!!! it has been my concern on what will happen to my dslr after so many times of putting it on my shoulder bag. now this is the solution. thank you so much!

Cami says:

Thank you! I’ve been meaning to sit down and figure this out myself but now I don’t have too! Can’t thank you enough!
    Cami

Now if only I could sew a camera!! Need one of those!

lexmallabooks.com

Cortney says:

YAY! I have been waiting for this tutorial! I just knew you would do one someday :). Cause your awesome like that.

Would you consider doing a tutorial for a purse organizer insert, the ones where you basically can just swap your purses out while keeping everthing nice and neatly contained! That would rock! I’ll be waiting :) haha. Thanks in advance :)

This is awesome! Thanks so much for doing this tutorial. I already pinned it for the future. :) I have been looking at a slightly bigger camera bag, but all the ones I love are $200 or more. I prefer to spend that on lenses :)

Sid says:

Great tutorial! I’m linking it on my blog. What an easily adaptable pattern for any purse…

Ann says:

Perfect timing! I was facing the dilemma of carrying 2 bags on a city tour with a bunch of teenagers next week. Already having purchased an inexpensive, stiff, stuffy camera bag for my dSLR, I removed the velcro inserts and set them up inside my roomy “hippy” purse, and gave my sweet little camera a brand new, cushy home. Thanks so much for the idea!

Jill says:

Thanks for this! My purse has a plain brown lining, and I can never find anything in it because it has no structure. I am doing this just for my purse contents, not as a camera bag. Have to go out and find a fun fabric now. Great idea!!!! Thanks :)

Emily says:

This is the most fabulous tutorial that I’ve seen in a while! I cannot wait to try it! Thanks for posting.

Jennifer says:

I love love love this: I have tons of purses and I know exactly which one I am going to try this with. You are so very talented. Thank you for this awesome tutorial.

Ginny says:

I have that same bag! I love what you did with it :)

megbrothers says:

i am dying to find this bag somewhere! could you give me any info about the brand so i could do a search? or have any interest in selling yours lol. ;)

louise says:

Love this! I’ve been meaning to do this for ages! Great tutorial on how to do it!

I’m loving this tutorial. I just made one for my husband as part of his birthday gift, it goes perfectly with that photography class that I got him!

Beth says:

Omg! I have the same bag (in blue) and have been looking at inserts to buy but this looks very doable!! Thanks’

megbrothers says:

i’m dying to find this bag! can you give me any info on the brand inside on the label? i’m wondering if i can search for one online. or see if i can find anyone who is selling one!

Lisa says:

Ok I’m off to find a purse and fabric!!! Woohoo this is AWESOME!! Hummm wonder if I can make a matching camera strap :)

Sarah says:

What is your trick to sewing velcro??? I have issues. Is there a kind without the sticky back to it that I could get so my needle doesn’t get all goopy?

Mieke says:

hey Sarah,
      you should buy velcro without the sticky back … I had the same problem you have, and it took me several needles before I realized the other kind of velcro is a lot easier :-)

• 71.1.1
        SewPro says:

Rather than throwing out those sticky needles, use some UnDo (it’s a product for removing stickers, etc. but once it’s dry you can reuse the sticker) on a bit of paper towel. This will remove the sticky residue and your needle will work like it’s supposed to. When purchasing hook and loop tape (Velcro) look for the “sew in” variety rather than the “no sew” or “adhesive backed” kind.

Also, I loved your tutorial. As a seamstress there are a few changes in techniques that I will make so that I don’t have to do so much hand stitching and the seams will still be hidden. However, you did a great job and it looks very professional! Way to go! And, thanks for sharing it too!

Merianne

• 71.1.1.1
          SewPro says:

Oh. I forgot to tell you, the sticky backed Velcro could work for this project BUT if someone used it they would not be able to put it into the dryer after washing it. (The beauty of your instructions and materials is that you made it completely wash and dryable. I caution ppl to read the instructions on the packaging for the foam to adjust the heat settings before putting it the dryer though.) ALSO, if you use the sticky back variety, it will only be useable for a few years before the Velcro will separate from the fabric and get the sticky goo all over the place (including your equipment). Should this happen, use a generous amount of the UnDo to remove it from your equipment’s hard surfaces. It will NOT remove it from fabric.

I shared this amazing tutorial on my blog. I hope you will visit. What a lovely tutorial!

Kari

Becky C- says:

I absolutely LOVE this tutorial – had to repin it! and am Getting busy making my own and several more – Daughter works at the Boys Girls ranch and lots of neat bags come in that this would be perfect for! Thank you for doing this tutorial up – If my bags turn out as nice as yours – they will make an awesome personal hostess gift for when I do my Workshops and Digi crops! Even for a drawing gift at events! Awesome!

Karen says:

I’ve been wanting one of these camera purse inserts, thanks for the easy step by step tutorial, I’m definitely going to make one now.

Lauren says:

Hi Ashley! Thanks so much for this tutorial, my girlfriend and I tackled it one afternoon, even with screaming babies in hand! It was so easy and fun! I even went out and bought my very first sewing machine :D I can’t wait to do more projects!!! Check out my results on my blog!!

Wow,
    thanx for such wonderful ideas that you have shown can be made at home.

Diane Lupton says:

Thanks to whoever “pinned” this tutorial and to you for making this tutorial. I loved it! I spent the morning making mine. You can check it out on my blog. I also wanted to say how much I really love your blog. great job!

Jackie says:

Thanks so much for posting it was super easy and I’m not even a sewer! Love my bag!

My husband just surprised me with a brand new DSLR and a couple of lenses. Unfortunately, I’m too paranoid to take it out of the house yet because I don’t have anything big enough to carry it all. This was a great tutorial and I have some wonderful fabric I can use to make this. Thanks for such an incredible idea!!

Sheila G says:

Today I am thanking myself for learning how to sew. I’ve been searching for the ultimate camera bag for over a year and then I saw your post. Tomorrow I leave for London and have made my Vera Bradley Messenger bag into a camera bag. It is going to be perfect for carrying around London and for bringing on the plane. I also think that my iPad will fit in it. Thank you so much for the post!!!!! I would love to send you pictures of mine if you’d like to see them, just email me if you are interested.
    P.S. I’m pretty crafty, although not original, and your website has been a huge help for me! Thank you!

Mikailah says:

This is sooo thrifty, and adorable! Thanks so much for the tutorial. I just received my first DSLR camera, and I want a nice padded case, but don’t want to pay $100. Thanks so much! This is great-definitely one I will try. :)

brittany says:

has this been done before? Seriously some of these things you should patent! What a great idea. I am soo going to make one of these.

Thresa says:

Thanks for this easy-to-follow tutorial. I agree that the camera purse/bags are WAY over-priced and I refused to buy them. Now I can get exactly what I want in color and pattern and be able to spend that saved cash on another lens!

Crisanne Swanhart says:

I just want to say how much I love your work and your blog/tutorials, etc! I love that you do both pics and words for directions. Personally, I need to pics. Anyways, you’re wonderful and I think you should visit NJ for a “make it and love it” get-together!!

Thanks for this great post! I can’t stand my camera bag so I’m breaking out my sewing machine to make my own. Love your step by step instructions.

Cassie says:

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS! I just got a camera for an early Christmas gift from my fiance! I spent all day making my purse insert and I love it!!!!!

Suzie Smith says:

Hello I love this…where did you get the 1/2 inch foam from. I cant seem to find any online. Also how much velco did you use all together? Thank you!!

Chrissy says:

I’m going to study abroad in a few months, and I was cringing at the idea of putting my dslr loose in my purse with my wallet, phone, sketchbook, extra lens, etc., and I didn’t want to carry a purse AND a camera bag everywhere! Thanks so much for these super-clear instructions! I made my own camera insert yesterday, and I love it! Kind of makes me want to convert every bag I own now :-).

Meghan says:

Love this! Exactly my story and feel the same way about costly bags! I am pinning this right now! Thanks!

Meghan says:

I love this so much I made one! Better than anything I could have found! And I was super happy how cushioned my camera is – I did decide to double pad the bottom though. Thanks for this brilliant idea!!

Chunky Munkys Mummy says:

Thank you SO much for this !! all fabric, foam and velcro is on order, and I may even sneak a cheeky pocket or two into the inserts !!

Cathy says:

You just saved me some money and I love that! I did not want to pay the $65+ price I’ve been seeing for a sling camera bag. This is a better alternative and I will get to take some credit. Thnx so much!

Sheila G says:

I have now made a couple of these. My godchild is a budding photographer. For Christmas, I took an gently used Coach laptop bag that I was no longer using and made a camera bag out of it. When she opened up the bag at Christmas, she was so psyched to have a new bag. But, when she opened it up and realized it was a camera bag, she was thrilled. I stuffed it with a couple of pair of high heel shoes as an extra bonus (I never wore them and they were her size). I think she was extremely surprised since I told her that I couldn’t really afford to buy her something for Christmas and that I had to make her something.
    I made a couple of extra pieces so that she could arrange them in all sorts of ways and made an extra piece for her laptop as well. I don’t think I could have made her any happier if I bought her a gift! Thank you for the tutorial. I think i’m going to make another one for the bag she gave me for Christmas! LOL

Beth says:

This is so awesome! I really need to make one for myself. Thank you for sharing!!

Thank you, thank you for this tutorial!! I am so psyched to have my own personalized camera bag, for half the price of a retail one..hooray for putting my sewing skills to use!

zendeb says:

This is just about the coolest idea ever, I love it! Thank you for posting this – especially since it is so well laid out and detailed with step by step instructions and photos. AWESOME! Thank you, thank you!!

PJ says:

I will be doing something like this with an old duffle bag. As a man, I don’t have a lot of purses laying around, but I do have some old backpacks, gym bags, etc that are in great shape but don’t get used. I’m starting to end up with more and more gear, slowly but surely of course, and I need different sized bags for different shoots so this idea is great. Why should I spend 100′s on a pre-made bag that really isn’t any higher quality than what I can make myself? Exactly, I shouldn’t. :) thanks for this great idea.

sara says:

Grrr.. getting so frustrated, I’m trying to make one right now but when I bought my foam from my fabric store it was by the yard so the lady cut it. Needless to say she cut it uneven and I can’t get it even to get a correct measurement all around (on the 8 inch high piece) and unfortunately they charged an arm and a leg for the foam ($18 a meter!! )which is now cut up in pieces that can’t be used :( HELP!!!!

Michele says:

I used a leather bag that I carry every day for this project. My camera was getting beat up in that bag until I made this. I sewed a small pocket on the outside of this liner to hold my lens cap and lens cloth. LOVE IT!

I also made a camera strap (from your tutorial) from the same materials so my camera matches my bag liner.

deepa says:

A great post and explanation. You should consider starting a store. Shared on all sites.

Kim W. says:

Thank you for the inspiration! Mine turned out beautiful! My 1st ever sewing project and I DID IT!! Woo-Hoo!!

Tanya says:

perfect! I have boon looking for a detailed tutorial like this! thanks for sharing and for your detailed instructions and photos!

Michelle says:

Has anyone tried this with 1″ foam? I cannot fine 1/2″ foam anywhere local and have had a hard time finding it online anywhere without spending a ton on it. I bought some 1″ foam the other day at the store thinking I had finally found the right stuff! But then I came home and checked the instructions and realized I had remembered wrong. Wondering if it might still work…

Savannah says:

This is awesome and really helpful, but for your hand stitching do you think a ladder (hidden) stitch would work just the same?

Eileen says:

Great tutorial. I can’t wait to make this. Thank you.