Pin Cushion Jars (fill with buttons, notions……..or candy!!)

Need a simple little project that will make you happy?  And will also brighten up your sewing table?

Turn a regular old canning jar (or any other kind of a jar) into a pin cushion.  And then fill it with buttons, pins, bobbins, clothing labels, or whatever little things that need a cozy home in your sewing space.  Perfectly cute.

And then when sewing with friends, why not fill that jar up with candy and munch on some treats while you have a little craft night together.  Or always keep it filled with candy so that you always have something sweet while sewing.  (Warning: If you’re anything like me, having a jar of candy permanently next to your sewing machine may cause rapid weight gain.  If you have no control, only fill with candy when having a sewing party!)

These little beauties are coming with me to the Denver Meet-Up tomorrow.  (Are you coming?  It’s not too late to get a $1 ticket.)

They’ll be scattered around the Meet-Up.  So if you’re there, open them up and feel free to munch on your favorite candies.  (And then each one will be given away at the end of the Meet-Up.  I couldn’t possibly use 12 pin cushions.)

Great for storage.  Fun to look at.  And perfect for sewing parties {especially when candy-filled}.

Also, can you image how happy someone would be to get one as a gift?  Hurry and whip up a few!

P.S.  I bought the straight pins at Wal-Mart.

Need a quick HOW TO?

You’ll need a regular ‘ol canning jar for this.  Any size works.  Take the lid apart and lay the flat piece down on some fabric and cut around it, with plenty of room around all sides.

Then, grab a handful of batting and stuff it under the lid (make sure the top of the lid is facing down at this point.  Then add a touch of hot glue on the top edge of the fabric and fold it over to the back side of the lid, securing it in place.  Then do the same on both sides.

Now, add a line of glue under your flaps of fabric and gradually pull the fabric down and glue in place.  Try to avoid too much folding or clumping of the fabric by trying to smooth it out evenly as you go……but a little bit won’t hurt anything.

Then, do the same thing to the other side of the lid.  Before gluing the last bit of fabric down, you can add a bit more batting if you need to.  You want the pin cushion section to be a little firm but it doesn’t have to be super tight and packed in there.

Finish gluing the rest of the fabric down then trim off any excess bulk.  (You don’t want to trim too much off though because you want it tucked under the felt in the next step.)

Now cut out a circle of felt that is smaller than the circle and won’t add to the bulk of the lid when trying to screw it down.  Hot glue the felt circle down and press firmly, making this extra fabric as flat as possible.  Then place the outer ring on top of the fabric and allow the little puff of fabric to poke right out.

Then screw the lid on top of your button/notions/candy filled jar……..and add your pins to the top.

And enjoy.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Featured, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, No Sew

Comments

78 Responses to “Pin Cushion Jars (fill with buttons, notions……..or candy!!)”

What a cute idea!

Brittney says:

LOVE IT!!

Brycie says:

I love these! How cute! Such fun colors!
    And the PINS stuck in them are sooooo cute! I need them in every color! Where did you find them! LOVE!

Tracy says:

I just found a cute little something to give my sister who has started sewing (and is pregnant!) Thanks Ashley! I wish I wasn’t two states over… I would totally come!

Victoria says:

So cute! You have such clever ideas! :)

Edie says:

what if you don’t have a glue gun, can they be sewn? (and very cute, have fun at the meetup)

I made some of these a couple years ago and absolutely love them! They are so pretty.

Ashlee says:

Love it! Have someone in mind who would like this : ) Maybe a good ladies meeting/play group craft idea, too.

Wow, those are so cute and look so easy to make! I’m going to whip some up for friends and of course myself.
    I wish I was closer, I’d love to come to the Denver meet up, but I”m all the way over in Tennessee. :)
    Have fun, all you crafty ladies!!

Kylie P. says:

I saw another similar tutorial on Pinterest, and they used the jar part as a mini sewing kit! They filled it with little sewing tools like needles, a small spool of thread, thimbles, tiny scissors, etc. I love these :)

Zoe says:

These are so lovely and the quality of your photography is excellent!

Cari says:

Excellent (and CUTE!) idea!

You rock!
    A friend is coming over to sew next week. This would be fun!

Great tutorial! Thank you for sharing this.

Anna says:

these are adorable and would be so cute done up in an antique jar or even one of those little pot bellied jam jars. I also think I would love to store my pins in the jar and use the pincushion part when sewing.

Holly says:

Those are really cute! What a great way to store all of my sewing items! :)

Meghan says:

These are adorable!

I’ve been looking for a cute pincushion to make (i already have a couple, but those aren’t cute handmade ones!). I don’t have a working sewing machine now so I was looking for a no sew one! This is perfect!! And I’ve lately been on the cute jar kick!! Thanks!!! And do you have any tips for what sewing machine to get?! The one I have works sometimes and other times it doesn’t.

Michele T says:

This is such a cute idea – love the fabric you used!! I would add steel wool so it would sharpen the needles (saw that idea on pinterest!) Thanks for sharing.

Jessica says:

Love it!nThese would make awesome teachers gifts too!!

Jen says:

What a great idea! If I ever do a craft night I will be making these! Thanks for sharing: )

Shas says:

What a great idea… They r sooo cute!!

Jen says:

So cute! Wish I lived by you, Michigan seems so far away now.

Irene says:

Fantastic idea, and they are so cute. I am just like you, I won’t be filling mine with candy because I have NO self control when it comes to goodies!

Jennifer J says:

I made these in Girl Scouts – many, many years ago. But we used a Brillo pad for the stuffing – it removed rust and burrs from the pins and needles, and made them glide through the fabric really nicely. Great tutorial! Great photos!!

Marnae says:

I’ve made a few before and love mine!! I also store extra pins in the bottom..one other thing I did was rather than glue one piece of felt on to cover the folded over fabric, I sewed 2 pieces of felt together, then glued it on (putting the glue around the outside only) and then used it as a needle holder to hold my extra needles. Works great!

Andi S says:

These are so cute and with them being on the jar there are so many possible uses! I love them!

i made one, but it didn’t turn out as good as yours. :/ I think I used the wrong kind of cotton. it was stiff. when are you
    going to post about the meet up?!

Diane says:

I absolutely love these! So, of course I had to make one for myself. I linked to your blog for the credit. :D

so gutted that we don’t have these kinds of jars in Australia!! Did you know too that if you fill it with sand it keeps the pins sharp (so I heard!!)

Kira W says:

Just finished! Have drooled over the little “jar pincushions” at walmart … of course never thought bout makin my own. But it totally rocks! Cheaper and no doubt cuter too. Thanks!

Sarah says:

Thank you for such a great idea and tutorial! I made one this morning and filled it with buttons. I think I put too much stuffing in it but I still love it! http://thepurplehound.blogspot.com/2012/03/canning-jar-pin-cushion.html

Dee Reat says:

These pin cushion jars are great, but I’m on such an eating spree that I think that I’d empty them as soon as I finish making them :(

tt says:

I put this on Pinterest and plan to make it–thank you so much for thinking of it!!!

Anna says:

Love this project. So great. Possibility for its use is endless.

Mary says:

I just made one for myself and my friend who just started sewing too. I LOVE these!! So adorable and easy! BTW all your crafts are amazing!

Cheryl Ulmer says:

How did you think of this? I love the idea of having a pincushion on top of a jar that I can use for the notions that go with a particular sewing project. Currently keeping my pins in containers as Jack the Cat cannot resist round objects, but I imagine the jar will be more cat-resistant. Fingers crossed, I’ll give it a try.

Neha jain says:

how did u cut the circle inner part from main lid to fit that pin cushion in a lid??? do let me know

Kim says:

They are made with mason jars, or canning jars. They already have a cut out inner circle part of the lid.

Megan says:

I don’t get the jars…?! How do they look before you made them to these cute things?

Kim says:

They look like glass jars and the screw on lid is 2 pieces. The inner circle fits inside the outer screw on ring of the lid.

Claire says:

These are brilliant. I would love to make these but we don’t have those kind of jars here in he UK. A real shame.n

lenie says:

ik lees je speldenkussenpot met snoep hoe je die maakt en hij is wel heel erg leuk maar het is jammer dat je die niet in nederland kunt kopen want ik had het zeker een paar keer gemaakt ook voor vriendinnen hartelijke groet van lenie

Becky says:

Fantastic! Just made mine, thanks for the tutorial :-)

Rita Kate says:

When ever I see directions for pin cushion using batting its like fingernails on a blackboard. Polyester dulls pins and needles. Cotton holds moisture and rusts needles. And wool is just right and if the wool has lanolin — its even better. A lot of yarn stores will have unspun wool. I learned this when I got my degree in art ed with an emphasis on fiber/weaving/spinning..

Rosalind says:

GENIUS!!!! Super cute, love it :)

any1 knws if v get these jars in middle east?

Amanda says:

I made one of these jars and put a picture on my bunting Facebook page. I thought they were so easy to do that I put a link to your website for my likers to have a go themselves. https://www.facebook.com/Amanda.prettybuntinggifts

Lizzy says:

Cute, but I would end up sewing nothing due to just eating all the sweets.

June says:

I cannot get mine to screw closed once I get them finished…. somebody help!!

Texette says:

Awesome idea. I made them for my table mates at this years Quilt Retreat. Can’t wait to give them to my girls.

Ginger says:

I love this idea. I am working on a sewing theme party for my mother. This is going to be a perfect accent filled with her favorite candy! I am also going to make these as sewing kits for the girls at work as Christmas presents.

laura says:

love it! my mom always steal my pins and pin cushion! christmas present idea! :)