Bubble Romper for Baby (long leg style)

Looking for the Photo Shoot giveaway by Katie of KB Digital Designs (Denver, CO area)?  Katie was the talent behind the Denver Meet-Up photos from a week ago…..and she was so great to work with.  So hurry and enter………you know it’s time for a new family photo of your family.  Or new baby.  Or your sister’s getting married and needs some bridal shots.  Click here to enter.

. . . . .

I can’t even tell you how happy this recent warm Colorado weather has made me.  It has brightened up our home and has helped give these lingering colds/infections the boot.  We’ve had the windows open and have been playing outside.  It’s been so refreshing.  (I hear there’s snow in the forecast for this week……but I’m ignoring that.)

With all this warm weather, we’ve been pulling out short sleeves, twirly skirts, bermuda shorts, and sandals.

Little Baby Girl of the family doesn’t have many cooler things to wear yet……..so I made her a little bubble romper last week, to scoot around in.  The long legs keep her a little warmer and also keep her legs covered while crawling around.

And yeah, we still need a little more warmth and moisture before the grass is softer to the touch.  (But do you spy the green grass poking through?  It’s coming.  Yay.)  So the longer legs are perfect for that too.

The top of the jumper is encased elastic, for easy on/off.  With simple little bows on each shoulder.  The little legs are cinched in with elastic as well.

Pretty perfect for all this high 70′s business.

I think it will surprise you how simple this romper is.  To keep things extra sample, there is no snap crotch to deal with.  And because it’s an elastic top, taking it on and off for diaper changes is actually quicker than unsnapping/re-snapping the leg area.  (However, if you prefer a snap crotch, maybe I’ll help you tackle that another day.)

We’re so happy the sun hung out with us all last week.  We have missed him.

Speaking of this baby girl, look who is finally standing solo.  She still hasn’t mastered walking solo……but I’m kinda loving the last drippings of her immobility.  (Standing felt better to her than sitting in that weird grass stuff.  So it was good motivation to practice.)

Summer is quickly approaching.  So I’m finding every excuse to start the light and summery clothing projects.  Hooray.

Sewing for little ones is so satisfying.

Would you like to make your own bubble romper?

Let’s get started with this little romper.  I think it will surprise you how simple it is.

First of all, you’ll need to cut out 2 pattern pieces.  You need a front piece and a back piece.  Basically, the bottom half of each piece is identical to making a pair of pants…….but just stretched upwards.  So use a pair of pants as a guide to get that basic crotch shape but then cut it a bit wider, to give the romper more room and that “bubble” look.  (Here’s the basic concept of creating your own pant pattern pieces from a pair of pants you already have.  Just be sure to use a pair of pants that is looser [not fitted at all] so that the romper will bubble out.)  As for cutting the romper upward, just cut straight up (no curving or tapering), making it long enough to go from the crotch area, all the way up to the upper chest area.  But add a few inches to that because the crotch area of the romper shouldn’t hug the crotch area.  It needs to have plenty of room for comfort.  Now, curve the top of each pattern piece upward so that the neckline will scoop just a bit after sewing it together.  And then cut a little arm slot out on each side.  (It doesn’t have to be a full arm cut-out because this cutout won’t go up and around to the top of the shoulder.  It just needs to go from the armpit up to the front of the arm.  The elastic band will go up over the shoulder.)  Make sure to include seam allowances to your pattern pieces.  And add 1.5 inches to the bottom length for the leg hems.  (Important:  You don’t need a seam allowance for the arm cut out sections or the top neck line sections.  You will be adding bias tape [explained more below] to these raw edges so they won’t be hemmed or taken away from.)

The front and back piece are cut out exactly the same, except for the crotch area (the back is bigger  and slopes down a bit more because of the bum) and then I made the back piece just a tad longer at the top too……but the same shape.  You don’t even have to make the back piece taller at the top…….and to be honest, I’m not sure why I did for this project.  I’m just used to making the back neckline higher than the front for shirts and dresses…..but this little romper doesn’t need that.  So don’t waste your time! :)

**Just be sure that the chest section and the leg section will be wider than you would need to fit the child perfectly.  You want it to be larger so that you can cinch it in with elastic……and then it will bubble out.

Then, fold your fabric in half with right sides together and then cut out 2 front pieces and 2 back piece.  (You fold your fabric in half so that you have 2 front pieces that mirror image each other and 2 back pieces that mirror image each other.)  I also cut a long strip of fabric to be used for the neckline.  (I’ll explain more about the measurements of the strip down below.)

Now, place the two back pieces together (pictured on the left) with right sides together and sew along the side with the scoop of the crotch, starting at the top and ending at the end of the scoop.  Do the same to the two front pieces (pictured on the right).  Use the seam allowance that you allowed yourself when cutting out your pattern pieces.  Then either zig-zag or serge your edges to finish them off.

Then open up the front and back sections and lay flat.  Then make a piece of narrow double folded bias tape out of your fabric (or use store bought bias tape) and sew it to the scoop of each arm cut out (4 total)……enclosing the raw edges of each arm cut out inside the fold of your bias tape.  (Need help with making bias tape?  Click here.)  Repeat with all 4 arm cut out sections.  (To make my narrow bias tape, I started with a strip of fabric that was an inch wide and then as long as I needed for all 4 arm cut outs.)

Then, place the front section and the back section together, with right sides together.  Sew along each side, sewing the romper together.  Then either zig-zag or serge your edges to finish them off.

Now, time for the stretchy neckline.  Essentially, you’ll be making a wide double folded piece of bias tape.  (Remember, more on making your own bias tape here.)  I started with a strip that was 3 inches wide and then long enough to go across the entire front and back of the romper plus double the amount that you would need for the shoulders.  For example, the front of my romper was 12 inches wide across the neckline and the back of the romper was 12 inches wide across the neckline too.  From measuring my little girl, I knew that I needed about 2.5 inches to go up and over one shoulder…….so to double that, I needed an extra 5 inches for each shoulder.  So, I added up 12 inches twice and 5 inches twice……which made my strip 34 inches long x 3 inches wide.)  For this width of bias tape that I made, a piece of 1/2 inch wide elastic fits perfectly.

Open up each end of your bias tape, and sew it together with right sides together, making a big circle of bias tape.

Then re-fold it (and iron again if needed), enclosing that seam.

Then lay your circle flat, with your seam at one end.  Place a pin at the one end with the seam and then place a pin at the other end too.  This will mark the center front and the center back of your neckline.

Now, you’re going to be sandwiching the bias tape around the neckline of the romper.  To make it evenly spaced, match up the the seam of the bias tape circle (where one of your pins is) with the seam along the center back of the romper neckline.  Sandwich the bias tape around the raw edge of the neckline and then pin it in place.  Then match the other pin with the center front of the romper, sandwiching it around the raw edge of neckline.

Now, work your way outwards from the two center pins, attaching the bias tape to the rest of the entire front neckline and the entire back neckline.

Then sew the bias tape right down to the romper, making sure to include all the layers of the bias tape plus the neckline of the romper……..but leave about a 2 inch opening along one of the shoulder areas.  (Sew nice and close to the bottom edge of the romper…..but be sure you’re catching all your layers in your stitches.)

Here’s the 2 inch opening at the shoulder.

Then thread your 1/2 inch elastic through this entire piece of bias tape.  (You’ll need to measure your own child to be sure it’s the right length of elastic…….but I cut mine 18 inches long.) Overlap the ends of elastic, sew them together, then sew the opening of the bias tape closed.

Now, for the legs.  Open up each leg and fold up the bottom edge a 1/2 inch and then iron in place.  Then fold up an inch and iron that in place.

Sew the very top of the fold to the pant leg, about a 1/4 inch from the top fold.  Then sew another seam, about a 1/2 inch below the first seam.

Then, thread a piece of 1/4 inch wide elastic through this casing that you just made.  As you pull your elastic through, don’t let the elastic pull all the way through the first end……..and then sew it down in place.

Then pull the elastic, cinching in the fabric, then sew the elastic in place on the other end.  (You don’t want the elastic to be really tight around baby’s leg.  In fact, mine isn’t snug on her at all.  It’s just tight enough to cinch in the fabric……about 7.5 inches for each leg.)

Then fold the legs together (right sides together) and then sew the crotch area closed.  Then either zig-zag or serge your edge to finish it off.

This is optional, but you can sew a strip of fabric into a tube and then tie them into little bows and sew them onto the shoulders.  I just zig-zagged the two tails of each bow……I didn’t even worry about hemming them under.

And that’s it.

Now, make a few more.  The warmer months are on their way!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Comments

65 Responses to “Bubble Romper for Baby (long leg style)”
    Zepequeña says:

Es una cucada!

Zepequeña.

Carrie-Lousie Dixon says:

beautiful!!

Mrs A says:

Love it! I will definitely make one (or two!) of those to my LO. And your baby is sooo cute!

sharon k says:

very cute! I’ll have to give this a try.

Mandy says:

Super cute romper! I love seeing those tiny little baby teeth still. My kids get teeth way early! My 10 month old already has 16 teeth!!!!! Yikes.

Christina says:

I LOVE this and the fabric is adorable! I lack confidence in making clothing without a pattern provided though, so I am not sure I will be making one. Perhaps I can send the link to grandma to make a couple for my tiny one.

The bubble romper is super cute and so is your baby girl! So sad my youngest just turned 6. Maybe a gift for a friend? Thanks for sharing and thanks for hosting the Denver meet-up! It was SUPER FUN!

Heather

sorahart says:

What kind of fabric did you use? I thought it looked like cotton but wasn’t sure. I guess it might not matter though when it’s meant to be roomy…

Jen says:

Really cute!

Kate says:

This is ADORABLE! So is your little girl! That fabric is awesome as well. I just put a Carter’s bubble romper back on the rack at Sam’s Club yesterday and said to my husband ” I guess I could probably just make one for her” and now I’m SO glad I did!! I never even thought about one with full pants, I’ll have to give it a try. Then I think I’m gonna try one with no legs on it and a snap crotch. Thanks for sharing this tutorial!

Olivia says:

I’m new to sewing and the thought of making my own pattern scares the world out of me. Would you consider making this into a pattern like your Maddie dress and selling it? I have no idea how much fabric I need for it and I absolutely am in LOVE with these bubble rompers! Seriously, sell this as a pattern please!

Julie Snow says:

Sew cute! Yes, this weather has been loverly!

Morgan says:

Adorable. And can I mention that we used to wear these as teenagers? In the early 90s. Seriously, I’m having flashbacks.

Liz Farnsworth says:

She is just adorable Ashley! I love that fabric too. You are amazing!

Nika says:

OMG I love it! Great tutorial! Thank you! :D

Sarah says:

Ashley this is a darling romper and this tutorial is exactly what I needed for a friend’s baby! Thanks so much for posting. I have a question for you…I usually pin things like this in order to find them later, but in light of recently reading through the TOU have become far more careful about what I pin. So, would it be okay to pin one of your pictures to my “Little people fashion” board? You can see my board here: http://pinterest.com/sarahdaggett/little-people-fashion/. Please feel free to say no and I will save it with a good old bookmark. Thanks again!

molly says:

I LOVE this! You are just amazing:) Your site is definitely my favorite of all my crafting blogs! I just made my 2nd Fishy Purse today too. Do you know about how much fabric I would need to buy? I’m going to go pick out a cute pattern and make matching ones for my girls! Also, how old is your little one? She looks about the same age as my littlest (she’ll be one on April 6).

Alice says:

This is adorable! I used to make these for my daughter all the time. I had to throw my first one away, though, because I used a really graphic print that came out looking whackadoo because of the center seam. Don’t be like me:)

Paige Frakes says:

So cute! As usual! I so wished I was able to come to Denver for your event.. It was mine and Jordan’s anniversary weekend. It looked like a blast! Maybe next time? I so want to make this for Harper. Your little girl is darling by the way:)

brittany says:

Why wouldn’t you cut the fabric on the fold so you can skip side seams? Or did I miss something?

Jessica says:

I made one this afternoon (Korea time!). I did it with two pieces instead of four. Nice and easy. Now, if I had remembered to leave even more room for my little Eloise’s cloth diapers that would have been good. But now I have a gift ready for someone! And now for another try …

• 20.1.1
        Jessica says:

Oh, don’t do it on the fold though. I taped my pattern pieces together (where the side seam would be) and cut two pieces.

Stacey says:

So you can put the bias tape on the arm holes. You can do it curved but it is a lot harder.

Annie says:

Ahhh, I love it!! Thanks so much for sharing! I think it will be the next piece of clothing I make my little girl.

Meaghan says:

This is gorgeous and very straight forward – we are coming into Autumn over here in Australia but I’m thinking this will be perfect with some long sleeves and socks too :) Thank you again.

amy says:

I will have to try for my grandaughter.Thank you for the tutorial:)

abbie says:

your daughter is so cute! this really a wonderful tutorial. My littlest one is a boy, but several friends of ours are having girls! thanks.

Cathy says:

Do you have a PDF of the pattern? I would love to have it if you do.

Anne says:

So cute! You are amazing! About how much fabric?

Taylor says:

Cute…so, so cute! Blessings!

Steph says:

I love, love,love it! Any chance for a pattern? (Please?) What is the fabric? I’ve searched everywhere and it’s a must have!

So cute! You have a beautiful daughter, Ashley. I missed dressing up my daughter who’s now 12 yrs old.

Tina says:

I can’t wait to try this. My little punkin has almost no summer/spring clothes yet since we were surprised with this early Spring! I am going to make at least 2 of these this week! By the way, how old is your little girl? She’s so cute and looks to be about the same age as my little one.

Tiffany says:

Hi Ashley,

This is adorable! What fabric is that. I’m thinking of about 1,000 things I could make with it!

Tiffany

Becky says:

GREAT tutorial! This was just the thing I needed to attempt making my own pattern. My stepmom and I made up a rough sketch pattern for my 6month old, who currently wears 9-12month size clothing. I whipped one up last night and after it was all done, I noticed we did not make the arm holes long enough , so her pudgy little arms aren’t going to fit, but it’s nothing a seam ripper can’t fix! Thank goodness!

For those asking about fabric, I used 1 yard, and store bought bias tape, but it depends on the graphic. I used a random small print fabric, not going in any specific direction, because I could lay out my pattern any which way and there wasn’t any obvious signs of anything upside down or sideways, but if using something directional, I would use 2 yards to ensure all 4 sides are going to match up.

Dee Reat says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t see a word you’re writing right now, because she is so cute I cannot take my eyes of her!

Lindsey - Impatiently Crafty says:

Love this outfit! most of all i am jealous of your fab weather! still cold where I live ;) I’m going to attempt to size up this pattern for my twin toddlers.. ;)

Cheryl - MA says:

Absolutely ADORABLE! I also think the fabric is perfect!! My granddaughter is in CO and I in MA so I need to go tho a thrift shop and pick up some little pants to use in helping me develop the pattern. This is a must make in a few different fabrics. Thank you sew much for sharing.
    I only recently found your site and I must say I’ll be back frequently, you have some really wonderful tutorials and ideas here. Again thanks for your generousity.

Liz says:

This is gorgeous and looks nice and roomy for my daughter’s big cloth nappy bum!

Is there a short legged version? Did i miss that?

Abigail says:

Will you please come to Texas and give me tutorials? I am sooooo scared of my sewing machine :( I finally got the courage to buy fabric for the basic pillowcase dress and I’m scared poopless!!!!

Sunnie says:

Cute baby! Are these mostly for girls, do you think you could make one in a boys fabric? (Im not asking for you to make one, Im just wondering if boys can also wear these)

Fatimazahra says:

Hello, can you please make one for me I need 12 months for my baby girl thanks

Great tutorial! You’ve been featured on the Quality Sewing Tutorials blog.

We hand select only the best free tutorials and patterns for the home sewist.

Grab a brag button!

Violette says:

This is so cute! My baby girl is no more a baby, she’s two tomorrow. But still, she’ ll get a romper for this summer. Thanks for this DIY. May be I’ll do it with shorter and larger legs. It shoul look nice too!

cassie says:

Love this I made it by using two folded pieces instead of four single ones. Arm holes came out big bit super cute and perfect for our weather in Italy! Thanks!!

Amber says:

I am new to sewing so struggled a little with making my own pattern. But i did it!! I added bias and snaps around the inner part of the legs for easy diaper changes! Super cute!!

Kelley says:

How would you suggest measuring the length all-together without measuring the child? I have the pair of pants but my daughter is sleeping. I want to use this time to make it for her without having to “guess” how long to make it from neck to ankle.

shirley says:

you should teach people how to make tutes.. thank you and my granddaughter will be sporting alot of these this summer… were going to the beach so I will make some a bit shorter..

Kristy says:

So adorable! Can’t wait to sew this one, thanks for sharing! :)

juli says:

where can i find a pattern to make this romper?? it’s so cute!!

Honey Mae Mainwaring says:

hi

Carrots says:

I just made this! It was so easy! Thanks!!! I made it out of three navy blue bandanas for my baby’s first bday on the 4th of July. It turned out super cute!! Yay!

Rosa says:

I going try to make one today!

Dana says:

Bought fabric for this! Hoping itsaseasy as it looks!

Anna says:

Wow, great tutorial! And I love your pictures. will definitely be my next project.
    Thank you.
    Love from sweden

Kara says:

I used this to make my 7 month old daughter’s Halloween costume with a remnant of Dalmatian print fabric I found at Joann’s! It’s perfect for her to wear to daycare for their harvest party without being a big bulky infant costume like so many of them are. With a black or white onesie underneath she’s ready to go, and she’s still able to crawl and climb!

So cute! You are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing! I think it will be the next piece of clothing I make my little girl.

Ana says:

I am going to try to make it I am a starter any tips

polinka says:

GREAT tutorial!!!
    I loved sewing this bubble romper for my daughter and she loves wearing it… :)
    you can watch it here: http://polinka.canalblog.com/archives/2014/03/19/29473705.html

THANKS a lot!!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] on the topic of babies here is my first pick from this weeks reading. I really do love this bubble romper from over at Make it and Love [...]

2. [...] girl………I knew there was an even easier way to make a baby romper.  (Even though this one is pretty simple.  Give it a try too.) But I wanted to show you a way to make a romper without [...]

3. [...] Sweater Pants by Prudent BabyOnesie with Binding by omi createsKimono Onesie by Nefertari CreationsBubble Romper (long leg style) by Make It and Love ItBaby Sunsuit by Made By RaeBaby Sunhat by merriment designBaby Hats by [...]

4. [...] So here is my inspiration A very sweet little girl who needs new clothing desperately. She is always a challenge. She is a tiny little thing so finding Ready to Wear clothing that fits her properly is always hard. I’m always thankful when I can whip something up for her that is fun and functional and that fits her properly. Today’s inspiration from Ashley at Make It And Love It. [...]

5. [...] and as I’m a wee bit obsessed with rompers I chose a fairly simple looking tutorial from Make it & Love it. How cute is that baby girl?! So [...]

6. […] you’re exceptionally crafty, sew it up. Create a simple bubble romper in a festive fabric and have your baby decked out in 70s flair for a funky night out. Make sure the […]