Make a Simple Top: Dolman Style with Banded Bottom

I went to the store this past Saturday, looking for a new shirt.  Baby Girl was tagging along with me so I knew I only had a short while before nap time and then my happy little shopping companion would fizzle.  So I looked.  And looked some more. And couldn’t find a shirt that looked right/fit right/felt right.  Bummer.  (But let me tell you, I found oodles of other things that I didn’t know I “needed” until I got there, like those jeans that were actually long enough……..without letting out the hem.  Gah.  Oh, and that striped knit button-less cardigan from jcrew.  So light and breezy and perfect for spring.  Why does that happen?!!)  Anyway, my shirt hunt was cut short by a messy diaper.  So I gave up on my shirt hunt (which wasn’t going well anyway), and headed home.  And realized that I better dig through my fabric and try the homemade route.  What was I thinking……..that I was actually going to find a shirt at the store, like a normal person?!  Ha.

Once I got home, I pulled out some old striped jersey knit that I bought back when I lived in GA.  And then thought of something that would be perfect for it.

I kept it simple and cut out a very forgiving Dolman shape shirt, with a banded bottom.

The dolman style isn’t clingy but the banded bottom still flatters.  Cool.

Now I have a new shirt, no thanks to any retail store that I visited last Saturday.

And because it’s made just for me, the length is right, the sleeves are right, and the neckline is right.  Hooray.

And oh those sleeves.  So comfy.

Sometimes I don’t want to make something that I need/want.  I just want to buy it.

But then, I can’t find that “something” that I want.  So I end up making it…..and maybe loving it even more.

Want to make one of your own?

Okay, grab some jersey knit.  Nothing too stiff.  I was originally going to use an oversized knit maxi skirt that I bought a year or so ago (to use for the fabric)…..but then I remembered about this striped fabric that I had stashed away.  Just keep in mind that if you can’t find any knit at the fabric store/online, check out the clearance racks.  You may find some great large pieces of knit just hanging there, waiting to be re-purposed.

Now, the shape of this shirt is nice and big and roomy up top and then a fitted bottom band to keep it snug on the hips while the middle remains a bit baggy.  You can make it all fitted from right below the bust line if you keep the cut of the sides more narrow.  Or keep it wider and more baggy.  It’s up to you.  I used a knit shirt of mine as guide but didn’t actually cut that shape.  I used the same neckline shape but didn’t cut a different front and back piece.  Both my front and back pieces are exactly the same.  Both have the same swoop as the back of the black shirt I was using as my guide.  Then, I cut a straight (but slightly downward) line from the neck out to the end of the sleeve length that I wanted.  And then made a nice big arm and curved the under side of each sleeve to meet with the sides of the shirt.  Because knit hangs, these sleeves will kind of hang and drape nicely.  The length of the shirt is variable.  I made it a little longer than I needed because I was worried about it being too short.  Because after you add the band that sits snuggly on the hips, the part above that (where it would hit your abdomen) will kind of bunch up and look a bit more baggy.  If you don’t make the shirt extra long, you won’t have that baggy look in the middle.  And if that’s what you prefer, go for it.  (Make sure to include a little extra on all sides for a seam allowance.)

Like mentioned above, I cut my front and back pieces exactly the same.  But if you want your front neck line to swoop downward a bit more, cut accordingly. Then I sewed the front and back pieces together, with right sides together, right along the top of each sleeve and then along each side of the shirt.

(HINT: When sewing with knits, it helps me to increase the stitch length just a bit to help jump over more fabric, eliminating some of the stretching and bunching.  For the step shown below, I used a straight stitch but a zig-zag would work too.  Practice on scrap pieces of the knit you’re working with, to get a feel for it first.)

Then I cut a strip of fabric that was twice as tall as the band height that I wanted (because you fold it in half) and then long enough to go all the way around the bottom of the shirt.

Then, I cut a little bit off the width of the strip of fabric so that the band would end up slightly smaller than the bottom of the shirt.  Because you want it to slightly pull the bottom of the shirt in.  Not tons, just a bit.  And how much you cut off really depends on how stretchy your knit is so you may have to try on the shirt and then wrap the band section around you to see how much smaller to make it, to have a snugg-ish fit around your hips.

Then fold the strip in half (with right sides together) and sew the two ends together.

Now you have a circle of fabric.  Next, fold down the tube down into itself, creating a double layered circle of fabric, matching up the two raw edges of fabric.  (Right side of the fabric is facing outward.)  Pin edges, to keep them together.

If you lay this folded tube down, you should see that it’s slightly smaller than the bottom width of the shirt.  That’s a good thing.

Next, slide the tube up and around the bottom of the shirt, matching up all raw edges together.  Now, you will have to stretch the band just a bit, to get it match up just raw with the bottom of the shirt.  Evenly distribute the tube around the bottom of the shirt.  Pin in place.

Now sew these 3 layers (1 layer of shirt and 2 layers of tube) together, sewing all the way around the bottom of the shirt.  Use a very narrow zig-zag stitch (or something similar) to allow the fabric to stretch even after it’s sewn.  Because you want it to stretch around your hips.

Here’s a peek of the inside.

Then fold under the sleeves and sew a straight line or two (or a zig-zag) to give each sleeve a nice finished look.  I actually used a double needle here, making a perfectly spaced double line.  (More on the double needle here.)

For the neckline, I cut a strip of the same fabric (one of the darker red stripes) and used that for my neckline.  (Make a circle out of your strip of fabric and then fold it down into itself to create the neckline piece.  The same concept as the bottom band of the shirt, shown above.)  I attached my neckline, just like I did here but no, you don’t have to have ribbing…….just pull it slightly as you are attaching it to the shirt, so that it is slightly smaller than the shirt opening.  (Once it’s in, steam flat like crazy.  This will help put your neckline lay flat and in place and not look so handmade.)

Now, here’s the basic finished shape.  The armpits are tons lower than normal, the sleeves way bigger, and the shirt is longer than you’re used to.  Perfect.

(Be sure to iron/steam all of your seams open and flat.  This will help shrink any “stretched seams” and will help your top look more professional.)

And that’s it.

Enjoy.

Comments

125 Responses to “Make a Simple Top: Dolman Style with Banded Bottom”
    Missy says:

I pinned this so that I can make it later!

Autumn says:

Can’t wait to try this one! So perfect…thanks for sharing!

Dixie says:

I LOVE this style of shirt! I have a few and always get compliments when I wear them. Plus this looks uber duper completely easy, even I can do it. Just basically straight lines!! yay! Except I like a wide neck, almost like a boat neck, that aaalmost but not quite falls off the shoulder when it slides to one side (a little 80′s flash dance, anyone?). So I think I will try this and just cut the neckline a bit different :-D Wish me luck!

Dixie says:

Then again, looking at it on the mannequin, it has a bit of a wide neck anyway… maybe as a newbie I should just stick with what you did haha.

• 3.1.1
        Sue Bredemann says:

I’ve always loved the look of a dolman sleeve too! If you like the look of “flashdance” 80′s – go ahead and do it. I’ve found out that it is are wearing, you seem to act and walk with more confidence. So go for it girl! PS I love the 80′s look too. It’s all about what you think looks good on you – not what someone is putting on a runway somewhere in the world. And isn’t that a big part about why we sew????? Good luck.

Ginger says:

I have been looking for a shirt like this everywhere and I can never find one. I am a new sewer but I JUST might be brave enough to give it a try.

Jody says:

Im looking forward to trying this! I’m nervous about the neckline (not looking homemade), but I’ll give it a try! Thank you!

Stephanie says:

Boo. Where’s a pic of you modeling it? ;)

Looks great!

Ro says:

Gorgeous shirt!

I have a double-needle question, if you have a chance to answer it. Do you do anything at the beginning and end of your rows of stitching? I find that when the material is stretched, since the “back” zigzag stitch is now a straight line, it will sometimes pull out and unravel. It’s been a particularly bad issue on waistbands for my daughter, since they stretch as we put them on.

Thanks!

cucicucicoo says:

looks so easy, can’t wait to try it! :) lisa

Shelley says:

This is PERFECT!!! I’ve been wanting to make one (even have the fabric) but wasn’t exactly sure how to execute it. Thank you so much for the tutorial!

Laura J. says:

This is a really great tutorial! Thanks so much!

Heidi says:

I love it and I love your site. I have’t sewn in over a month when I fixed up my son’s jeans with that awesome british flag you showed us, I’m DIEING to get back to the machine!!

Jenn A. says:

Thank you! This is so cute! I’ve wanted to try sewing with knits but haven’t yet, I think this will definitely be my first project!!

Ashlee says:

This is GREAT!! Looks pretty simple for a beginner like me!

Lynette says:

I have been looking for clothes to buy for months (maternity style so it makes it trickier!). I will probably end up making them, just like you did. That shirt ended up super cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

Henna Hands says:

You have no idea how long I’ve waited for this… I am going to make this STAT. I have a blue and white stripped knit in my stash raising its hand eagerly to be slaughtered for my style. :P

lisa says:

This is great and super cute! I love these style shirts for that post-partum belly too!

awesome….It’s a nice design :)

Michele N says:

I am loving this shirt! I have a similar shaped shirt that I love, except that it has this ruffly over sleeve and does have an extra seam across the top that is pleated just above the bust line. I noticed the other day that I spilled something on the hot pink shirt that did not come out, so I’ve been thinking about tearing it apart and trying to remake it, but this looks just as good & easier. I actually have a second shirt that is identical but printed and is temporarily mia. I would also love to see you modeling this to see what it looks like on!

heather says:

I love this so much! Thanks for the tutorial! I’m going to make some of these for my daughters. I’m not brave enough to make my own clothes… :)

Megan says:

This is great! I have some similar stripe fabric in grey.. and I was actually already thinking about making a shirt just like this, but your tutorial is really helpful and now I am ready to try it! I may try to add bands around the arms too, like a shirt I saw recently. Thanks! Your work is fantastic! :)

Daneilia says:

I love shirts like these. You did a great job :)

Beez says:

Amazing as ever! As a newbie, I just did my first ever knit hem with double needle on a shirt that was too long — scary to start, but rewarding when finished! So this is just in time for me to quite possibly have the courage to give this a shot. I am guessing as a…ahem “super well endowed” female, it might behoove me to make the front a little longer than the back when cutting?

Robyn says:

I have the same “problem” and was trying to figure how to go around that issue and still get the bottom band on right. Would the solution be to add length on the front piece, but up by the shoulder seam? Any ideas Ashley?

Eileen says:

Really love this shirt, and, once again, you’ve done a great job explaining the process…you’re one of the best with your links, pictures, etc. :)

Still a bit nervous since I haven’t worked with jersey knit.

But it’s pinned :)

OMG. This is so, so cute! I wonder if I could get away with wearing this style…I’m hippy with a small waist, so I usually go for styles that are fitted. Humm…. Also, I’ve tried sewing on knits before (wanted to make an old Tshirt of mine that fit weird into a skirt for my daughter) and I couldn’t get it to sew nice. I’ll try making my stitch longer like you suggested above. Thanks so much, I love your site! :)

Michelle B says:

Super cute! I’m going to have to give this a go!

Lauren says:

I have to make this! Looks like a great shirt post pregnancy…. 5 weeks left I’m gonna need a wardrobe lol. Thanks for sharing!

farmhousemama says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I just “pinned” it and within 5 minutes I had 35 “repins”. Wowsa! :) Very cute.

Angela says:

I never made clothes, think im not that good. I love this shirt and tutorial!! I think i give it a try, thanks for sharing!!!

greetings from holland

Lisa says:

Looks great! Wish I was brave enough to attempt this without a pattern.

Betty says:

Lisa, do it anyway. If you make a mistake or two, remember that mistakes can be a learning tool itself. Look at it as a learning experience and the worst that will happen is it does not turn out good and the best that can happen is you get a really pretty new shirt to enjoy. Take a chance is what I say. :)

Lucinda says:

So pretty! And what a great knit – wish I had stores like that around here for knits. Does that store in GA sell on-line?:)

BeQui says:

I have a serger, but I haven’t had much practice using it. Do you have tips for me? I’d like to use it for all these seams, so I don’t have to worry about stretch at the waist and all that.

AnnOnandOn says:

LOVE this post… I put it on my “DO” Pinterest board! ThankS!

Dana says:

ADORABLE!!!! Thank you SOOOOO much for sharing….I will definitely have to try this one!

Lindsey says:

Ok, I know you’ll read this and be like “psh, not my style” BUT… I am about 5’11″ (even though I only claim 5’9″ usually) with a 36″ inseam and recently discovered the BEST.JEANS.EVER. Wrangler. No joke, they are comfy super stylish now and come as long as 38″ inseam. I have been a die hard designer jeans girl for a long time but will take Wranglers any day over them now, and they are so affordable! Give them a look (and no, I don’t own a horse or any livestock)!

Sarah says:

I love love this. I’ve been looking for shirts like this everywhere, and if I find cute or semi-cute ones, they’re always expensive. I don’t have a sewing machine anymore :( I’ll pay someone to make me one!

Brittany says:

Okay, I want to buy this shirt but I do NOT want to make one. Can you please tell us what store you purchased it at? Thanks!

Brittany says:

Oops–just read your post more thoroughly and realized you made it. If you put some of these on Etsy or somewhere I will buy one. Thanks!

Jennifer says:

This is Sooooooooooooo CuTE! I can not wait to go home and try this! Thank you.

Lisa L says:

Thank you! What an answer to my prayers – I have wanted some shirts like this but don’t own any and didn’t quite know how to make them. YOU ARE MY HERO! And it’s so stinkin easy! Now, I would also like to see you model it. Please :) Thanks again!

Dee Reat says:

The shirt looks amazing! I have to give it a try. And I totally understand you about the jeans. I also cannot find any that are long enough.

Rachel says:

You should seriously open up your own store front. That shirt is amazing.

Julie Snow says:

I love this so much – I love that you are so brave to just create a flat pattern from nothing but an idea and a basic clothing item!

Megan says:

I’ve been admiring your blog from afar, but this post made me want to comment. This is an awesome tutorial! Thanks for sharing it :) I can’t wait to try one of my own (it will be perfect for my “not big enough for maternity, too big for regular clothes pregnant belly.”)

Jessica says:

You always amaze me with the things you sew. I absolutely LOVE that shirt. I just might have to make one for myself. :) I actually just sewed my first ever t-shirt for my daughter. I’d love it if you headed on over to my blog and gave me some tips and pointers. :)

♥Michelle says:

Very cute! I would love to see a picture of you wearing it though.

Charley says:

Ooohh I (finally) began sewing a top today I made up from an old breastfeeding wrap top I had. Except I added longer sleeves. I’ve never really made anything with knit before and I cant say its been easy. Everywhere I look online, people are sewing with sergers (we can them overlockers here). I never know whether to use a zigzag or a straight stitch, and how much to stretch the fabric if I’m using a straight stitch because if you pull it too hard then the stitches are loose. Ive used bias binding for all the edges although its not very giving! I hope I dont break the stitches putting it on :( I’ll have to be gentle when I wrap it.
    Anway, i’m rambling. Your top is lovely, really like the flattering band at the bottom. Knit is sooo hard to find over here in the UK (anything other than plain colours anyway) – i’m going to search the L/XL sizes from now on in stores.
    PS you need a picture of you wearing it too!!!!

rachel says:

can you tell me how much fabric you used? love this tutorial! can’t wait to try it!!!

marisa says:

Ok I seriously screamed when I saw this! These are my fave shirts on the world. Very flattering for the waist :) I cannot wait to try this!

amy says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE this top! I’ve been wanting to make one of these for myself…just haven’t found any knit fabric to use yet.
    Very cool shirt! Thanks for the tutorial!

Beth says:

Pinned it! Thanks for the tute!
    Smiles~Beth

Cece's says:

Love it! Stupid question, is cotton knit the same as jersey knit? I mean, do you
    Think it would behave the same? I can find all sorts of cotton knit but the
    Stuff they call jersey knit all I can find is putrid colors. Any help would
    Be super.

Thanks so much for sharing

Melissa B says:

I am just in love with the way that you write tutorials, and this one is particularly fantastic. You’re inspiring me to be more daring in developing my own! Keep up the great work! :)

Fabulous! What a gift you have.

Katie says:

Last night as I was having a difficult time falling asleep–trying to get on an earlier sleep schedule, so I just lay there until I fall asleep when I used to climb into bed, grrr!–and I was trying to figure out how to make a shirt like this!

I have a shirt like this, and I still have post-pregnancy body (even though my baby is 21 months) and this top is quite flattering. I thought it would just make me look heavier, but it doesn’t!

Thank you for your kindness in sharing all of these fabulous tutorials with us. It is SOOOO generous of you!!!

Leslie says:

I love it…can’t wait to try this one…I am pregnant so I can make it big enough for my belly and long enough to cover my jeans…thanks!

Deanna says:

I am absolutely in love with this. I wish I could find this exact fabric. Instead I went to Joann’s within an hour of seeing your post and bought some sweater knit in a deep peacock and some navy and lacy cream striped fabric. Can’t wait to make some shirts!! I might add cuffs on the sleeves to be more like a shirt I always get compliments on that is store bought. But we’ll see. I’ll start with this exact design first. Thanks for sharing! I always love your work!

heather says:

How much fabric did you buy?

• 56.1.1
        Deanna says:

Good question. It’s been awhile now. I think I bought a yard but because I had to fold it in half, the sleeves were shorter than I would have liked. I then bought 1.5 yards so I can use the full width for each piece to do long sleeves. For reference, I wear a size small in shirts.

Dawn says:

Thank you for this tutorial! My daughter loves this shirt and we are going to try making one for her!

Jenna says:

Thanks so much for this. I love the bagginess for my post-baby body, but it’s still feminine!

RobyGiup says:

Wonderful!
    I’m ALWAYS looking for something to buy can’t find that “something” that I want, at least not EXACTLY as I want it to be (I know I’m a nitpicker!!)
    So I always feel tempted to make it by myself, but never have time enough…..

Sarah says:

I can’t wait to try to make one of these shirts! I love it!
    TheWinthropChronicles.com

Mummy to M, C & S says:

going to try this right now! i have tons of knit and in desperate need of new tops. what doesn’t have holes is too small or too big…i love this! thanks for a great tutorial!

annah says:

Nice outfits !!

PinUp your Interest !! At: pinup3.blogspot.com

Carolyn P. says:

Great shirt. I had questions about cutting it out. How did you get both sides exactly the same? This is where this ALWAYS go wrong for me.

Gina says:

Love your site-love this shirt. How would you go about determining measurements to make it. I could make a practice one from muslin but it wouldn’t drape/fit the same. Even just the points of your body to measure and amounts to add for ease would be helpful.

Lisa says:

Try long tall sally online for tall jeans.

Jenn says:

Do not know how I got here :) but so happy I did…..I actually have some of this fabric in my stash, and now I know what I am going to do with it….thank you thank you……

So fabulous!! I have some black and grey striped jersey, narrower stripes than yours, that is perfect for this. Dare It try it myself, newbie sewist that I am?! I say YES but I am only sharing with my much better sewist sister and mother if it works well. Otherwise, no way!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this. (I’ll let you know how mine turns out!)

Kendra L says:

I have been looking for a tutorial on this style of top! I had no idea what it was called though. :) I want to make this so bad! I just need to get some material. Is knit fabric not readily available in fabric stores?? Online I couldn’t find any in Joann’s…

Melanie Millen says:

oh my word! i have been looking for a tutorial like this for a long time! this is amazing thanks so much!

Lisa says:

Very cute…as always. Can’t wait to use my coupons and buy some knit. I saw a shirt similar to this in the Carsons ad made with ruffle fabric that was super cute and springy. Thanks so much for your beautifully inspiring ideas! Will you happen to make a circle top/butterfly sleeve top soon? Looking for a good tutorial for that one. :o)

Erin says:

You made that look so easy! I may have to get brave and try it myself :-)

Ari says:

Instant fan of your sewing projects and blog! I have not touched a sewing machine since I had my Little Holly Hobby sewing machine! Now I am gonna play with my big girl sewing machine

Lisa says:

I love this style of top. Thanks for the great tutorial, you make it look really simple.

Stacy says:

I found you through One Pretty Thing this morning. I’ve pinned this idea and will be try this out. Great step by step, I think I will actually be successful with this idea. Thanks for sharing.

Ch says:

Great tutorial.
    I think it can be used to make a jersey mini dress (or even knee-length). You know, with a curve-hugging bottom, something like this http://www.victoriassecret.com/ss/Satellite?ProductID=1265724249302&c=Page&cid=1327029210571&pagename=vsdWrapper&search=true

I’ll try to make something like that when I have some free time :)

This is such a great idea. It’s amazing how some people have all the ideas……and the rest of us just have to sit back and copy them!! Love it!

lexmallabooks.com

Christina says:

I like you buy pants if they are long enough, regardless of whether I actually “need” them because it is rare to find a well made, 36″ inseam, that fits too. I get a lot of my non jean type pants from the banana republic outlet! (They have jeans too!) But, don’t forget its the banana republic factory outlet store NOT the regular banana republic regular store. They make different stuff for their factory stores, and in my opinion it is cuter and fits better…and its cheaper! I know how tall girl problems go though so I though I would share this little gem!

Ashley Erdmann says:

Can’t I just buy one from you? Lol I can’t sew

shamrock2981 says:

Love love love your site! Do you know the amount of fabric you used for this shirt?! I really want to attempt it…even though I know it will not turn out as nice as yours did! =) Practice makes perfect I guess…(Im new to sewing!)

Jill says:

Wonderful tutorial! Thank you.

Marianne says:

Hi!

Great top! Where do you buy your fabrics? Some webstore? I’ve been looking for wide stripped knit but haven’t found it anywhere. I’m from Finland so some webstore tips would be nice :)

MR says:

You have made my day!! I was looking thru Pinterest ( who isn’t ) and came across this great tutorial. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. Going to make a few of these for sure.

Hey, it looks very chic! Thanks for sharing.
    Happy sewing :D

Kristin says:

I’m going to try to make this for my cousin’s american girl doll, hopefuly it turns out good :)

Lilly says:

How wonderful. How pretty! Love, love, love this top & the tutorial. Your blog is great and a real inspiration for a sewing addict like myself ;-) You are very welcome to visit me at my little blog http://www.stillesbunt.at. I will definately be a frequent guest of yours!

Best, Lilly

Gloria says:

Great shirt! I will be making this…..may even try making a dress in this style. Thanks for the tutorial. You have so many good tuts on your blog that I’m spending way too much time here browsing and saving some tuts to my “favs” so I can use them later. 8)

devonlynne says:

Thanks for the tutorial! I am a beginner to sewing and it was easy to follow. Not only was it my first time sewing my own shirt, it was also my first time using my double needle.

Ashley Freitag says:

I want to try this so bad! I’ve been itching to get back to the sewing machine! Do you know about how much fabric would be needed? I’m a mediume sized girl…so maybe 2 or 3 yards?

Lovaine says:

Absolutely brilliant!! I made this in a couple of hours and I’m only a beginner. Your tutorials are so easy to understand with great pics. This cost me £3.50!!

Naomi says:

Thanks so much for your tutorials! They are wonderful

I have been trying to find good patterns and tutorials to sew myself some cute clothes – this is fantastic!!! Going to go fabric shopping now!!

Casey Luther says:

I am SOOO thankful for this pattern! Thank you for putting it out there; I have looked for months in the retail world for shirst that worked for me. Because I am having a love affair with this style of shirt, I have made several. To change things up some I have adjusted the banded bottom to be a little like a baseball jersey hemline and used other fabrics that still have a little stretch to them but are not jersey knit too. I have made some that are long sleeved with cute details (same banding method as waist band but add buttons for a faux cuff of the sleeve or some petite ruffles for jazzing things up a bit. AWESOME Pattern to get my needs met! Thank You!!

Ceci says:

I am so excited to see so many great *modest* but not frumpy tutorials on your blog. Thanks a million for the inspiration!

nonnie says:

Hi, i hope you don’t mind but i love this post so i’d made a pin of it on pinterest. <3 thanks for sharing!

Greetz Nonnie

Mel says:

Ok, I used an existing t-shirt for my measurements, eased it out a bit for seam allowance, and it turned out soooo tight and unflattering. Any ideas on how to properly measure?? :(

Natalie says:

I saw something simliar when I was shopping but it wasn’t in my size so I just might have to trie this.

Cindy Orman says:

I love, love, love the yoga style skirt but had a terrible time sewing the knit fabric, and my gathers don’t look very nice. I intend to deconstruct the skirt and try resewing the top to the bottom. Any tips to make this process easier?

What is the trick for perfect necklines?

Thanks,
    Allison

Machelle Z says:

I made this this weekend. It took me about 30 minutes to cut out and sew. I spilt nail polish on a maxi dress aout 3 years ago. I refused to toss it. I did not have a lot of the fabric to work with so my sleeves are not as long. I love it. It is my first knit sewing project so I am going to redo it and stretch the fabric a tiny bit as I sew, but other than that. I will be making more. Thanks for your tutorials. keep them coming.

Machelle Z says:

I had a cream and brown zebra print maxi dress that I spilled nail polish on. I could not bear throughing it away. So I saw your tutorial and decided to go for it. I made this and love it. I am going to be making several more.

Sara says:

I have been scouring for the perfect shirt for family photos to wear with boots and jeans/you are my savior!!!

Patricia Garcia says:

me encanto el modelo incluso en ves de la pretina de cadera podemos dejarla asi para una camisa ponerle cuello de tortuga y botones escondidos

Monique says:

I love this style of top. I’ve been trying to find one to buy but I think I’ll just make my own. Thanks for the tutorial.

Jacquie says:

Thanx for the tutorial, the instructions were very clear i made mine in under 30mins

Edwige says:

Seems so easy…Look forward to making mine. Thanks for sharing

Nancy says:

Wow, nice pattern! Not to hard to make!
    Thanks!
    Greats Nancy

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] chip nutella cheesecake bar from Bakers Royale. Other: DIY library totes from Ucreate and dolman top from Make It and Love It. (function(d, s, id) {var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0];if [...]

2. [...] Make it and Love it Dolman Style top – shows you how to trace a dolman style top from one of your tshirts. [...]

3. [...] Click here for Ashley’s Dolman Style Top tutorial. April 20, 2012 by Erika Mulvenna UA:F [1.9.10_1130]please wait…Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast) Rate this post: [...]

4. [...] found this tutorial and this was my guide.  It’s from Make it-Love it, which has a ton of great ideas and tutorials.  Her directions are much better and more detailed [...]

5. [...] Shirt by MakeBabyStuff.comTwo-Seam Top by Elegant MusingsShirt Lining by cola cola islandDolman Style Top with Banded Bottom by Make It and Love ItEasy Peasy Shirt by Lemon Squeezy Home for Sewing in No Mans LandVintage [...]

6. [...] 15 minute fashion is a Dolman style top, based on THIS tutorial from Make it and Love it!  On Thursday, I realized I had nothing green to wear to Sunday’s St. Patrick’s Day [...]

7. [...] out this Dolman Style Top DIY from Make It & Love It! It’s such a casual and comfortable looking top and so easy to put [...]

8. […] Make a Simple Top: Dolman Style with Banded Bottom | Make It and … […]

9. […] – clockwise from left: Color block skirt on TheClassyCubicle.com // Kimono sleeves top on MakeIt-LoveIt.com - aici aveti si tutorial// Cozy top on Sewing.Patternreview.com // Skirt on GlamourMagazine.co.uk […]

10. […] top is made up the same way as this top by Ashley from Make It Love It. If you need a step-by-step, check out her […]