Cookie Cutter Heart Shirt (a Valentine’s shirt for me)

Be sure to check out my review of the Personal Microdermabrasion Device.  This tool is pretty cool to have so that you can exfoliate, rejuvenate, and brighten up that face (and other areas) of yours, on your own. So cool!

. . . . .

Have you seen enough Valentine clothing ideas?  I know, I know…….there has been an overload already.  Haha.  But really, hearts can be worn all year round…….this has just been a good excuse to slap a heart on everything.  Thank you St. Valentine.

Here are the other 3 ideas that I have made for the little munchkins in our house.

(Click on each image to visit tutorial.)

Anyway, only one more shirt idea.  (Unless my husband suddenly changes his mind and wants a bright pink heart tie or a heart beanie or something.  Haha……..I doubt it.)

And this one, is a quick and happy little Tshirt fix.  You know, for that plain Tee you have in your closet.

So go and grab it (or buy a basic Tee at Target/WalMart.  I really like the Target Mossimo plain tees for stuff like this.)…….and also a little bit of scrap knit from some other re-purposing-cut-up-tshirt-project.  Because you’ll need that too for the little peek-a-boo color in the background.

And no, I didn’t actually use cookie cutters to make this shirt.  But those little cut-outs of hearts, all perfectly lined up…….look like a pan of cut-out sugar cookies.  Right?

And I really did try to be the one wearing the shirt in these pictures……but you know how that goes when trying to take a picture of yourself.  (I didn’t have a husband handy to help me.)  Either your face fits in the frame or some other part of your body.  But never both.  Ha.  You get the idea though.

Good thing there’s a mannequin at my house.

If you look closely, you can see that those little soldier hearts are cut out of the main shirt……..and then they are backed with the lighter pink fabric (one big piece of light pink fabric behind there) and each little heart has stitching all the way around, securing the back fabric right to the shirt.

Maybe it seems like a lengthy project……but it all comes together pretty quickly.  And is a great little knit Tee, any time of the year.  (And really, would be great for the little girls too.)

Would you like to make your own Cookie Cutter Heart Shirt?

To begin, turn your shirt inside out and iron a piece of interfacing to the WRONG side of the front of the shirt, that is bigger than the space where you’ll be placing your hearts.  The interfacing ironed to the back will stiffen up the fabric and keep it from stretching.  (Need more help with interfacing?  Click here.)

Then turn the shirt right side out again and trace around a little cut-out paper heart 9 times, with chalk.

Then turn the shirt right side out again (being careful not to smudge your chalk) and place a piece of lighter colored knit right over the interfacing.  Make sure it’s nice and flat and smoothed out (but don’t stretch it) and pin around the edges.  You could also use a woven cotton for the backing but keep in mind that wovens don’t stretch and will change the stretchiness of the front of the shirt.  But it would still work and would be just as cute.  (Just be sure it’s not a see through woven cotton.)

Then turn it right side out one more time and then stitch right around each of your chalk tracings.  Increase your stitch length so that your stitches are more visible.  (I turned mine up to about a 4 out of 5.)

Then slide your hand to the inside of the shirt and pull the light pink knit back away from the front of the shirt….and then snip through the front shirt fabric (and interfacing).

Then cut around the entire heart, staying pretty close (1/16 – 1/8 of an inch) from the stitched seam.  (Be very careful to not cut through that attached layer of fabric on the back.)

Do the same with all 9 hearts.

Then turn your shirt inside out and peel back the excess amount of interfacing, if you had any, and trim it away.

Trim away any of the extra fabric too.

And that’s it.

Your little Cookie Cutter Heart shirt is finished.

Filed under Clothing, Featured, Holiday, Re-purposing, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

24 Responses to “Cookie Cutter Heart Shirt (a Valentine’s shirt for me)”
    Julie Snow says:

Too cute! I am going to make one today!

Christine says:

This would be adorable for a pillow, too. Quick question- can you pin the lighter fabric before tracing the hearts so you don’t have to keep turning the shirt in and out? Or does that mess something up?

Lynette says:

How fun! I should make one of these for myself…but I already bought 3 target valentines t’s for $6.00 in bigger sizes so they can be maternity tops. Waaaay cheaper than buying maternity tops. As long as they don’t say valentine I can wear them til end of April, right? :) I will maybe have to do these in stars or something. And I thought that if you really wanted them to look like cookies, you add those tiny tube beads (technical name for them is bugle beads-and no I didn’t know that beforehand I just peeked at my bead supply!) a few places, and that would be super cute. And I think a grown up could still pull it off. :)

christina says:

seriously?! I can do that!! Too cute!

kate says:

This is my favorite of your Valentine’s Shirts. Good excuse to run to Target for a t-shirt, too!

Sonia says:

Hello, I really like the idea of refreshing a t-shirt w/ the hearts. I have also read your message/demonstration about the PMD Home Microderm Abrasion Device. My favorite skin care product is Neutrogena wrinkle serum I have been using it for some time and it actually helps reduced my forehead wrinkles. At first, I thought I was just seeing things so I stopped using it and the wrinkles start to come back again so I started using it again but this time I put more attention and I can tell, it works. thanks for all your ideas.

Jodie says:

Very Cute! All your valentine projects have been precious.

bekah says:

LOVE the shirt. So cute! Where was the t-shirt from, looks so comfy and perfect. Thanks for the great idea.

Lisa Schmidt says:

Oh my goodness, what a great way to take care of a small stain on a well loved shirt!!

very cute, I think i would do hearts down the sleeves if that was possible- always loved that style

Becky says:

I’m anxiously awaiting what that husband of yours will be wearing on V’s Day!

RobyGiup says:

Lovely! Literally!

Jenny says:

I love this! I know what I will be wearing to my kids’ valentine parties at school this year!

firstmute says:

This is really cute, and I love that you could use the same technique for all sorts of festive shapes–stars for 4th of July? pumpkins for halloween?

Deece says:

Thank you for these cutout tutorials! There are so many possibilities. I can’t wait to try them out.

Erin Graves says:

Oh my gosh, I tried to do this last night and I learned that I really need to practice sewing on the line. My hearts looked more like blobs than hearts, haha! I am more of a spaz then I thought, but I still have a week to get it right. I picked out all of stitches last night, but I have some fabric with swirly lines on it, I’ll practice going over it. Thanks for all of the cute ideas!

Sarah says:

I love this! I think I will also try with a shamrock for St. Pattys day. Do you
    mind if I link this to my blog?