Sewing Tips: Defining & Using Interfacing, Fusible Web, Fusible Adhesive

Did you catch my most recent sewing tip for all of you just starting out on your sewing adventure? (or maybe you just need practice or a refresher??)  In case you missed it, I posted a few tips to help with your basic sewing stitches, found here.

Hopefully that was helpful for some of you trying to get the hang of (or getting reacquainted with) your machine.

And just so you know, there are many more tips found in the Sewing Tips section, found here

Have you been there in a while? (You can always find it by clicking on “Tutorials”, right under the header.)

. . . . .

As for today’s tip, it’s comes from a question I receive often.

And that is, “What in the world is interfacing and why do I need it?”  So, I figured it must be something to add to the sewing tip section.

Plus a few more similar items that I use often.

I use interfacing pretty often and always have a stock of it.  But I also always have some fusible web and adhesive.  And I use them all for different reasons.  So I’ll explain all of that.

Want to see more?

First up?

A bit about Interfacing:

• A textile attached to the “wrong” side of the fabric, which is the non-printed side or the side of the fabric you want hidden.
  • It is used to stiffen up fabric, when it’s otherwise too flimsy.
  • It comes in fusible (which means you iron it on) and sew in (which you have to hand or machine stitch in place).  I generally only use the fusible kind.  But you may need the sew-in type if you are using a very fragile or finicky fabric that shouldn’t be ironed.
  • There are many interfacing weights available at the store.  Usually you want to choose the weight of interfacing that closely matches the weight (or less) of your fabric.  So if you have a super thin fabric, choose some interfacing that’s just as thin (or slightly thinner).  A good way to do this is hold your fabric in one hand and then start feeling some interfacing in your other hand.  Try to match it up as best you can.

When do I use it?

• making purses
  • stiffening up totes
  • stiffening up a collar or neckline
  • making fabric coasters
  • to stabilize stretchy fabric and keep it from stretching
  • to help reinforce the area for a button holes
  • and more…..lots more

Need a visual of a few projects using interfacing? (Click on the photo to go there.)

Now, let me show you how interfacing works.  You’ll generally cut a piece of interfacing that’s the same as your pattern piece of fabric.

If you look at your fusible interfacing really closely (but not the sew-in kind) it has little bumps of glue on one side and is smooth on the other side.

You will place the bumpy side face down onto the “wrong” side of the fabric and iron it down in place.  (I generally don’t have luck with interfacing if my iron is too hot and if I leave it on there too long.  It kind of burns the glue off and then your layers won’t stick together.  So keep that in mind.)

Now look at the difference a little interfacing can make.

Does that make more sense now?  I hope so.

Next up?

A bit about Fusible Adhesive:

• This is a 2-sided adhesive that sort of glues two layers of fabric (or other medium) together.
  • I always buy a brand called ‘Heat n Bond’ but many people also use a brand called Wonder Under.  From what I understand about Wonder Under (because I’ve never actually used it), these 2 brands are pretty similar.
  • Be sure to purchase a SEWABLE fusible adhesive if you’re going to be sewing because a non sewable kind will gum up your needle.
  • There is adhesive on one side and then paper on the other side, so make sure you never iron directly on the adhesive side……it’ll mess up your iron.
  • I will often times iron this onto the back of fabric and then print shapes or letters as a mirror image off the computer and then trace them onto the paper backing.  And then cut them out.  Works great!

When do I use it?

• sewing on appliques
  • sewing on lettering
  • attaching designs to fabric in home decor

Need a visual of a few projects using Fusible Adhesive? (Click on the photo to go there.)

Now, let’s see how fusible adhesive works.  This brand comes in sheets but also on a roll.  So just cut what you need.

And if you look closely, you can see the adhesive on one side and the paper on the other side.

Now, you can cut the exact shape that you need or cut a piece that’s slightly bigger than you need and then cut your shape out afterwards.  (I generally just cut a square shape because it’s hard to get the exact shape you need and then match it up exactly how you need it and then iron it, etc.  Plus, the paper side gives you a nice surface to draw or trace the shape that you need.  Great for letters!)  So once you get that square (or other shape) cut out, place the adhesive side down on the “wrong” side of the fabric and iron it down, placing the hot iron on the paper side of the adhesive.

Then, draw your shape that you need on the paper side and then cut it out.

Then, peel the paper backing off………and the adhesive will stay adhered to the fabric.  See how it’s shiny?  That’s the adhesive.  (If you peel off the paper and the adhesive didn’t stick to the fabric, you need to try ironing it on again.)

Now place the shiny side down on the fabric that you want to stick it to, and iron it down.  (And as a side note, if you’re making an applique for clothing like this little heart below, you’ll then want to stitch around the edge of the heart, to secure it in place.)

Does that make better sense?  Whew, you’re a pro now!

And lastly?

A bit about Fusible Web:

• This is a 2-sided adhesive that sort of glues two layers of fabric (or other medium) together, just like the fusible adhesive above.
  • However, this webbing seems to glue things together with a bit more strength.  I feel like this webbing is more substantial than the fusible adhesive I talked about above.
  • It can really stiffen something up, so be careful what you use it with.  (It could make a lighter fabric look terrible.)
  • This variety that I use has a sticky back that holds the web in place temporarily.  (think sticky like a sticker)  So you don’t have to iron one side down first and then peel off the backing.
  • Be sure not to let the iron touch any of this stuff……it will make a mess on your iron.

When do I use it?

• when I want to fuse felt on as a backing
  • to applique thicker fabric, such as an upholstery type fabric
  • while making a sole to a baby shoe/bootie

Need a visual of a few projects using Fusible Web? (Click on the photo to go there.)

Now, let’s see how fusible web works.  Cut out the shapes that you need to fuse together (the blue fabric on the left and the felt in the middle) and then cut a piece of fusible web the same size.

Now, this variety has a sticky back on one side.  So you just have to peel the paper backing off and it exposes the temporary adhesive that’s on one side.  (Feels kinda like a sticker.)

Now, remember that this webbing stuff can be placed in the middle of your two layers without ironing one side first, like the adhesive shown above.

So just layer it between the two textiles that you want to iron together.

And then iron it together.  When fusing felt to another fabric, it takes some time and some higher heat.  So be patient.  And then you’ll end up with a nice stiff piece of fabric with a felt backing.

And that’s it.  Your rundown of interfacing and adhesive.

If you have anything I should add to each of these (or if I need to correct something), let me know.  I’d love to add more info.

Filed under Featured, Sewing, Sewing Tips

Comments

131 Responses to “Sewing Tips: Defining & Using Interfacing, Fusible Web, Fusible Adhesive”
    Bonnie says:

great post! I sew…a lot..and love this! I also much prefer heat n bond to wonder under! Thanks for sharing!

Oh my goodness, the timing could not be more perfect on this! I just bought fabric to make my mom a tote bag, and the pattern called for 2 yards of fusible interfacing, which completely stumped me. Now I feel more confident taking on this challenge. One of my resolutions for 2012 is to sew things that scare me, which this does, so thanks for making me feel more comfortable! (I also got completely sidetracked looking at the ice cream cozy and stroller bags…both of those projects rock!)

Cortney says:

Thank You soooo Much for this information. I could never figure out what weight interfacing to use! I always thought the thicker the better, totally opposite! Since I’m basically a self taught sewer, (thank you “sewing for dummies” (literally :) ) these basic sewing tips really help!

Alyssa says:

Great tips!! I use heat’n'bond on a regular basis. I like to use word on my computer to help me make shapes, objects, or letters to print then I trace them on the heat’n'bond backwards (or It is the wrong way in the end) and then I don’t have to free-hand because I am terrible at it! Then I cut outside of my object iron it on, and then cut it out once it has cooled down.

Emily says:

Thank you! I’ve been making baby boots and nobody has been able to explain those differences to me. This will make things so much easier. Thank you thank you!

Nan says:

Thank you so much! I am such a visual person and although I had learned this somewhat before, seeing the pictures just helps so much in really understanding sewing tips.

Lizzie says:

Great definitions and explanation of the different products. I had problems with interfacing before I learned to use a press cloth and spray it liberally with water before pressing the interfacing. It works amazingly well and never curls up on you like it does if you use a dry iron.

Joanne says:

Hi, Wow I so needed this back in October when I had to fumble my way through learning about these to make my kids costumes, Lol. I have used the wunder under, in fact because it was way cheaper than the heat’n'bond, and mine says fusible webbing but has the paper backing. So I am a bit confused about the 2. I also have a few bolts of the Pehon (umm something with a P if thats wrong) interfacing and it too says webbing……

Sara says:

Fantastic tutorial! I have just been feeling my way through this (literally!) and am so glad to have a comparison of these materials in one spot. I am pinning this right now. :) Thank you!

Taylor says:

Such a helpful post! I have to admit I was always confused about webbing vs. fusible adhesive! Thanks so much!

Cerise says:

Fantasic post! Thanks so much for the info!

star says:

wow thanks!
    I might have to check the stamp thing out!! I love working with stamps on my cards

Ashley! I love your blog… I am sure I have told you that before, but I am so impressed at everything you do… I just pinned about 15 tutorials/tips onto my pinterest! I love your style and the way your blog is set up! Keep it up girl! You rock!
    xoxo

Sally Chiu says:

Fantasic post! I Thanks for sharing!

Tracy says:

Awesome thanks Ashley! I always have to call my mom for these questions…sometimes the sewing ladies at the store don’t even know.

Blanca says:

This is GOLD!!!!! Thank you for so long I was always confused as to which to use. Awesome

Monica says:

This is great! I have always just used another layer of material instead of interfacing and wondered what the miracle was, this sounds great :).

Thank you!!! Do you know how many times I’ve wanted to do a project with fusible web/interfacing, gone and bought it, and then never did it because I didn’t really know how to use it? Too many to count. Thank you so much for the tutorial! I’m going to tackle some of those projects this year!

Kathy says:

Thank you thank you thank you! My husband pushed me to buy a sewing machine for Christmas (I wanted to make sure I was going to use it) and now that I have it I am so glad I agreed! All of your tips are very helpful for a beginner like me and I can’t wait to get started using these things!

Edie says:

Hi there, great blog post and very helpful. Just want to point out this line…
    “If you look at your fusible interfacing really closely (the sew-in kind) it has little bumps of glue on one side and is smooth on the other side.”

I think you mean… (the iron-on kind)

Edie says:

since I can’t edit my comment, will add to it in a reply (sorry not being the grammar or spelling police, just trying to be helpful)

This line…
      “There is adhesive one one side and then paper on the other side, so make sure you never iron directly on the adhesive side……it’ll mess up your iron.”

(you have one one side… should be on one side)

If I see anything else, I will just use reply again, hope you do not mind me doing this. Again not trying to be the spelling police or anything, just trying to be helpful.

• 20.1.1

Oh my, THANK YOU for telling me! I try and read….and then re-read but I ALWAYS have errors!! ;)

So thank you for pointing that out, and I always appreciate the help. Seriously. I may have to hire you! ;)

• 20.1.1.1
          Edie says:

LOL Happy to help, just glad you were not offended. It is easy to miss things that we write ourselves, since we know what it is we want to say, that is how we tend to see it. Very easy to overlook things.

I think you are a super star. I pretty much knew most of this but it is so nice to clearly see it spelled out. Never fearyou are giving us too simple info. These posts are amazing reference.

Penelope says:

I’ve actually been thinking about this today. Can you advise? I’m sewing a little girl’s dress coat by altering a dress pattern. So would I still want the same or less thickness, or should I go a little heavier than the material because it is a coat? (mid-lightweight wool) I’ve googled for as much time as I had available and couldn’t find anything. Maybe I didn’t use the right search parameters.

Christine says:

This is very helpful. For the fusible web, can you sew through it after you are done? Also, if you can sew through it, do you need to do that if it is a well used item, like clothing or a plaything?

P.S. I just bought some of the stamps for my girls and their cousins and a friend. So cute! Thanks for mentioning them.

Kelly says:

Great info! I’ll have to swing over and check out your whole sewing tips page. All these “little things” help a bunch so thanks for taking the time to help us all become the sewing genius within! lol.

Bonnie says:

Oh my gosh, this is so helpful! I made a mess of my iron over the weekend using the heat n bond – it never occurred to me to cut it down to size first. Also, I had no idea what the webbing was or what to do with it. Thanks for the crystal clear explanation!

Very helpful post! :)
    I love using my fusible webbing but am yet to use interfacing (I use leftover of a thick fabric I own to thicken projects!) and am now more confident to try it!! :)

I’ve used interfacing, but never the others, so I’m glad to learn what the differences are. Thanks so much!

Andrea says:

Seriously, do you have a spy in my house? You always post EXACTLY what I need at the right time! I seriously just bought interfacing for the first time today :) then came home and read your post… Thank you so much for your clear and easily understood tutorials!!

ChristineG says:

Wow! What a great article. I am a fairly experienced seamstress, so I thought I’d just skim it, but I didn’t have an understanding of fusible adhesive at all! Thanks so much for the great information. I’ll have to get some of that stuff!

Esmé says:

Thank you so much!!!

I was trying to find out which interface was which and where I could find it in Holland.
    With your explanation it will be much simpler

Katie O says:

Thank you SO much. That has never been explained so well & I feel MUCh more confident to use any of those now :)

Heather says:

Hi, my name is Heather! Please email me when you can, I have a question about your blog!

Leigh Anne says:

What a fantastic post. I’ve used interfacing and fusible adhesive, but not the web….this post helps so much!! Thanks, Ashley :)

Yono says:

Hi Jen, Your canvas bags are awmeose! Color, I love color and your bags have lots. I haven’t done much creating lately as I have been reading-lots of reading and I’m sure you know what!Have a great day, Jodi

sheilaa131 says:

After so many years thanks to your tutorial, I just hemmed a pair of pants using the hem stitch and I didn’t have the universal foot, but plan to buy one. Thanks ever so much.

Kristy says:

Thank you! thank you! I had to decide just last week which type of interfacing to get on a project…it is so overwelming at the craft store! This really helps clear things up!

Kylee says:

what is your experience with iron on letters etc and not getting it to come off in the wash? Thank you for the great tips and tutorials.

Sarah says:

Thank you so much for your information! I’m learning so much!
    I was going to make a case lined with soft fabric for my Ipad soon. Would interfacing be a good option to put between the fabric and the soft to give it some “strength”?

Anna says:

Thank you for taking the time to explain the differences. Can’t wait to try out these products.

Kristina says:

I feel like a dope. I always thought “fusible web” and “interfacing” were interchangeable terms. Yay for learning new things–which is, of course, why your blog is one of my favorite things. :)

Megan says:

I am new to sewing and often wondered the difference between all of these things. I thought they were pretty much interchangeable…..well, i learned they aren’t! Thanks for the great post and your blog is book marked in my sewing folder! Thank You!

I am so thankful you do these technique/tips posts. I was wondering what the difference was with fusible web. I just used the double sided fusible web to make my son a tie(from your pattern)-it turned out good:-).I have been dying to do appliques on some of my own clothing and children’s, and maybe add it to my baby products. I also was so glad you did the shirring one- Iv been wanting to use elastic thread for awhile now-hoping to branch out this year, along with doing my regular baby items.Hope your having a Happy New Year!

Hannah S says:

Thank you for the refresher. I use these all the time but to be totally honest, I still have to check out the Pellon numbers and feel them with my hands to make sure they are the right thickness. I accidentally used a fusible adhesive that was way too thick on a shirt for my son, it looked pretty lame :( Can you clarify which of these are machine washable? I assumed they all are. Again, I always have to read the labels and make sure they are both machine sewable and machine washable. Also, do you follow their guidelines and pre-shrink it? I never have and have only noticed a bit of wrinkling with one clothing item, otherwise I haven’t noticed a huge problem with shrinkage.
    Thanks!

shawn says:

Hi there….thanks for this….great pics and info. I mentioned your post on my blog :)

monica says:

This was soo helpful. I think I have bought all of the above and Im not sure if I have used them correctly. I also have used a tiny bit of fabric glue to hold applique in place before I sew. I dont know if that works long term, but it did the trick in a pinch.

Bernadette says:

Thanks for this. Great clarification with all products. I often get confused because so many of the tutorials I read are from USA bloggers and often the brand names differ here in Australia.

Kandi Lauzara says:

I have finally found a sewing site I can understand. I am a multi media artist , who doesn’t sew.
    Though I have a sewing machine, I just seem to get overwhelmed. But I have understood
    everything I have read here. Awesome. Putting you on speed dile ( my favorites) sew I can keep
    you handy. Thanks a lot for being so easy to understand.
    Kandi

Peggy says:

Another tip is to cut away most of the seam allowance when using interfacing so you diminish the bulk in a seam. It makes a huge difference in the finished product. I usually cut away either the entire seam allowance or 1/8″ less. I love to see people sewing again!

Grace says:

Thanx for the post! I’m researching options to make blackout shades for my apartment without any sewing experience or a sewing machine. This information was fantastic!

I love your tips including the one about the stamps at the top of this page!!! I order them and can’t wait for them to arrive. Could you tell me what diameter ther are?

Debbie C says:

Thank you so, so much for this info! Such a great primer for a sometimes-sewer like me that knows how to sew the basics but wants to do more. Can’t wait to try the applique technique. :D

Thankyou for this great little tutorial! Everything is explained so well :)

dana says:

This is great! But what about fusible fleece? I have seen it used in a lot of patterns for purses and things. Where does it fit in? When I used it, it seemed to just be a think kind of interfacing. Is that correct?

Lindsay says:

What an invaluable post! I’ve featured your tips today at http://www.craftbuds.com/winter-warmers-fresh-picks-for-1-21-11/

Shirley Lupton says:

I enjoyed your blog. Is there a way that you can put each of them separate so I can print each explanation to file in my sewing notions?

Thanks

Cathy says:

WOW, this helped so much! I had a tutorial call for interfacing and I had Heat N Bond on hand. I was researching if they were the same and you answered that question plus so many more. Big help!

Erin says:

Thanks for the great tips! Just came across your website and am learning so much! I am VERY new to the world of sewing and applique. With machine embrodery/applique do you use stabilizer as well as fusable adhesive?

Katie says:

Thank you!!! Just finished a project using these instructions (for a special birthday girl!)

Very helpful! I almost used fusible adhesive when I really need to use interfacing!!!!

Danielle says:

Thank you so much for these explanations! I am a new, self-learner to sewing and realized I almost used Heat&Bond when I should have been using interfacing. I thought it was the same thing! Again, thank you very much! You saved my project :)

Euodia Roets says:

The way you explain things are so different from anywhere else on the web. It’s simple and you don’t assume we know anything – so thats great for a newbie like me. You really are a very good teacher.

SaBrina says:

Thank you for informative and very clear! Very. very nice.

Runt says:

Wow this post was really helpful. I JUST started sewing and heard some things about interfacing and got curious. This really helped me out. Thanks so much!

Amanda says:

Thanks! I am new at sewing and I love crafts. One pattern called for this on a doll’s hat brim…I had no idea how to work it. I appreciate you time to help newbies like me!

Suzanne says:

Thank you for this! When patterns talk about interfacing, fleece interfacing, iron interfacing and fuse-able interfacing i now have a much needed reference to what they are actually talking about!

Sally says:

We just recently started making T-shirt quilts and have 6-7 to make before Christmas. The process of ironing on the interface is the part that seems to take the longest. We currently use a steam iron, but wonder if you could advise more of a commercial iron press to use to put the interfacing on the back of the shirts to take some time out of the whole process. Thank you!

Je ne connaissais pas du tout ce projet. Merci 1000 fois ! bonne continuation.

formation seo http://referencementinternetwiki.wordpress.com prix référencement google

D Early says:

Thank you so much… very informative and simply stated for my understanding… Thanks

Ethelyn says:

My question is? Is heat n bond as good an interfacing as pellon? I sew lots of dresses.

Dana says:

Thanks! This was so helpful and informative. I am about to machine applique letters onto a project and was wondering if I should use my fusible interfacing when all the examples online are using Heat ‘n Bond. Now I understand the latter would work much better since it fused on both sides. Fantastic!

Alysha says:

P.S. I thought I would let you know, your with/without interfacing photo in this tutorial was featured in my sewing class last night! (Intermediate Clothing Construction at BYU Provo) You were credited, of course, otherwise I wouldn’t have known it was you. A girl sitting behind me goes “Ooooh that fabric is so pretty!!” :) Thought you’d get a kick out of it!

Nicole says:

Thank you so much for posting this! I am trying to make hospital gowns for my baby girl’s arrival in the next few weeks and the pattern called for fuseable interfacing. As a self-taught sewer, I didn’t have a CLUE what that was or what it was for. You presented the information in such a clear manner than now I want to go tackle some OTHER projects just so I can try out the other stuff too!

Fiona says:

Thank you so much! I am making purses right now and have a variety of interfacing and fusible web in my craft room. I wasn’t sure which to use, but after reading your post, it cleared it up for me. I will use the interfacing. I don’t want it to be too stiff.

Also…. I learned (the hard way) of removing any sticky residue from your iron very easily. If you end up accidently getting some adhesive on your iron, you can remove it by simply ironing a dryer sheet.

Laci says:

I am new to sewing. So the fusible adhesive prevents the fabric from fraying once applied?? I want to add an applique to a dress I made, but it is a circle that would be impossible to hem. Would this work? Like I said I am new to all this, thanks!

tiffany. says:

Since I’ve looked up this post at least 3 times while at the store, I figured I should let you know. Using the wrong product creates such nightmares. (Fusible web was almost the end of me.) Thanks for breaking it down with examples, brand names, and explanations.

mandy says:

Hi, i saw this on pinterest and I just had to share it with my readers!! thank you for this awesome post!

Brienne says:

This tutorial was so incredibly helpful! I’m doing my first appliqued onsie and I wasn’t sure which of these adhesives to use. Your tutorials are so well done, thank you!

dunkey says:

Brilliantly clear and simple. Thanks very much.

Phyllis May says:

I HaveAn 18 Inch Square I NeedToUsePellonwonderUnderOn. SinEe My Sheet isOnly 15 Inches Wide Will oTheExtra3 InchPiece LeaveASeamOnTheFrontSideOfMyMaterial.Sorry I Don’tKnOw WhyMyWords Are RunningTogether.

Mary says:

Would you please tell me how to get the (really) stuckon stuff off my iron from interface/stabilizer? Like pellon? HELP!
    Thanks, mary

June says:

Hi there, please could you help me, I have hand sewn an applique on to a baby t shirt and I am concerned the stitches on the inside will rub against baby’s skin, please could you suggest what I could iron onto the inside of the tshirt to cover up the stitches, it needs to be soft, and I think normal interfacing may be too rough, thanks

catrina says:

Thanks you so much for the detailed explanations of the various products and “how-to’s”. I have pinned this page so I don’t lose the link, and so others can learn as well. :)

Wade says:

Thank you so much for this brilliant post!!! Over the years I have watched various sewing programs on PBS (I am new to sewing!), and I have wondered what the difference between these items is! Personally, I am dismayed that, each time they use one or the other, they do not insert a brief snip or interview explaining what the differences and what each is used for. Far more “slick” reality shows frequently do this when defining something on the SciFi Channel.

Nicki says:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this. I am soon to be leaving the state, where I constantly ask my mother for advice on sewing, so I am trying to be more self-sufficient. This really helps.

bree says:

Hi Ashley!! Please I’m hoping you can help me lol. I do customized baby blankets with name on them…..I have using steam a seam (the blue permaneatn package though not the green temporary one) and than joannes stopped carrying that and used the pellon Ez steam. Which worked fine for a while. But now, I have bought 5 packages of it and am having a mess of it! The easy peel off comes off easily. But the other side no matter what I do is not coming off. Do you think that the fusible adhesive would work just as well? Please help, I don’t know what to do, and I’m getting soooooo behind on orders :(

Martha Dawson says:

This was great and thank you for the information! i am doing research and trying to figure out the best Fusible Adhesive out there- any suggestions? Also, with so many sewing machines out in the market, what should I be looking into if I want to add letters, shapes etc and stitch around the edge?
    Any suggestions would be helpful- thank you!
    Martha

Shelley says:

Soooo helpful!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

gladz says:

very helpful, i see interfacing in fabric stores but never realy knew what they were for..thanks for the info!

geni says:

Great post! I am very familiar with fusibles, but recently I found a pattern that calls for “bonding 2 fabrics together” …Can you tell me if I understand your synopsis correctly in that the Fusible Web is the best choice for this? The designer whose pattern/tutorial I am working with is from the UK so her words are a bit different and she calls the product she uses “applique paper”
    My need is for a permanent bond.
    Thanks!

Evie says:

Great tutorial :)

I made owl:) and I love it :)

Rhonda says:

I’m new to sewiing and have so much to learn and I wonder “Where do I get answers to all my questions? Is this one of those places? Can you tell me the difference between a facing and an interfacing? I’ve come across it in a pattern for scrubs (the top) and this pattern is supposed to be very easy…WOW! Not to me!
    I did a little sewing in my teens but with work and all I gave it up, there was so little extra time. But, I’ve recently retired, my girls are all grown with kids of their own and I’ve taken it up seriously just since I retired a few months ago. I’ve forgotten anything I learned in high school Homemaking Class. I really want to get good at it, I’m having so much fun but frequently I feel lost.
    Also, can you tell me the difference between fusble interfacings….why some adhere on both sides and some on one side only and when do I uswe one or the other?
    Thank you for your time. I’m looking forward to reading lots of your helpful hints.

Sincerely,

Rhonda Thomson
    Grass Valley, CA

Tessa says:

Thumbs up. Thanks for the info :)

I’m not a sewer at all – this is really helpful. I need to patch my jeans and wondered which would be better – fusible adhesive or web? I’ll be cutting shapes out of old jeans to patch the ripped jeans. Is it best to sew around both adhesive & web to keep in place? And do these prevent fraying of the patch piece? Thank you so much if you can help me with answers!!

Mary says:

Thanks for this article, it was what I needed. I do still have one question… I am making a bag and have use a fusible adhesive that was as thick as my fabric. I ironed it on and it was stuck. As I began sewing its seemed to come up in some spots. Is this normal that it should come up after the project is sewn? And also it its supposed to stay on will it separate when its washed and dried? I hope these questions make sense, thanks for any help.

mel says:

thanks this helped so much!