Fleece Football Hat

It was coooooold here yesterday in Colorado.  The kind of cold that kept us in all day.  Until I remembered that we were out of milk and cereal and bread and yogurt and cheese and turkey and whole wheat crackers and bananas.  Haha, no biggee.  So I was off to the store at 4:30 p.m. and after opening the front door to head outside, I was shocked to see that the freezing temps had turned into an angry blizzard of snowflakes.  So we went back inside to add more layers to our bodies, which is when I realized I couldn’t find my little guy’s hat.  He has a hood on his coat but there’s something extra cozy about a nice snug hat to keep you warm and then placing a coat hood on top of that.  Layers are good. I’m sure his other hat will be found under a couch cushion or in the back of the shoe closet one of these days…….but I couldn’t go to bed last night until I made the little mister a new hat.

So I grabbed a bit of fleece and whipped him up a new hat.

And then turned that plain hat into a football.  Just for fun.  (‘Tis the season, right?)

When I put his new hat on him this morning, he was ecstatic.  And then asked me if I made him a football too……like the one he’s been seeing at the store and asks me to buy for him EVERY SINGLE TIME we see one.  Sorry kiddo.  (But I just may have to make one.  Soon. ;) )

Since it’s fleece, it’s nice and warm and has a nice stretch to it.  Perfect for his large noggin.

No more air sneaking in to freeze those little ears.

And because he’s a boy……he does boy things while wearing his new hat.  Wooo-weeee, what would I do without a little boy?!!  HaHa.

Pretty simple construction and not much more than a dollar or two.  Not bad.

Glad you like it Little Dude.

Would you like to make one too?

First of all, I made the shape of the hat just like I made these little baby hats, found here.  Well, almost.  But it’s the same idea.

Except instead of adding so much length to the hat to create a folded up brim, I just added enough length to fold under about an inch and zig-zag in place.  (Make sure to use a zig-zag stitch so that the hat opening can still stretch.  A straight stitch won’t allow the fabric to stretch anymore.)  Just be sure to try it on the head before zig-zagging the bottom edge under.  Because you may want to not fold it under as much in the front so that it comes down a bit more over the forehead.  Just try it on to see.  **And be sure to cut your hat shape with the stretch of the fleece going left to right (not up and down) so that it stretches around the head, not up and over the head.**

(And remember, when creating the curve of the hat, it’s better if the hat fits a little snug.  This will help round out the hat to a 3D shape as it stretches.  While on the head you see that it puckers out excessively along the curved seam, turn it inside out again and take it in a little bit where it puckers and then trim off the excess fabric.  Try it on again and see how it looks.)

Then, cut narrow white strips (mine were about a 1/3 inch) of fleece to make the two white stripes on the football.  (Be sure to cut them with the stretch going with the strip so that when you pull both ends of your strip, it stretches.)  Now lay them down where you want them on the hat and pin them in place.  I placed one about a 1/2 inch from the bottom of the hat and then another one a couple inches from the top.  Since it’s a narrow (and kind of stretchy) strip, it’s pretty easy to curve the strip while still keeping it flat, so that it looks like the strips are more rounded (like a football) when on the head.  Now, zig-zag along both edges of the strip (a straight stitch will keep the hat from stretching).

Sew the strip all the way around the hat and let the two ends meet in the back.  Just sew one end right over the other or you can sew the strip into a circle before attaching to the hat.  I know it’s kind of hard to see but there are zig-zags along both edges of the white strips.

Sew the “white stitches” of the football the same way but make those strips just a bit more narrow.  Make sure to center the “white stitching” along the center front of the hat.  The number of horizontal strips will depend on the size of hat you’re making.  I was able to fit 4 in there.  Then sew the little horizontal strip on last.

Here’s a view of the stitching from the inside.

And that’s it.

You’re little football hat is ready to keep some little guy cozy.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Comments

35 Responses to “Fleece Football Hat”
    Kel in Oz says:

LOVE IT!

Kati says:

Cute! Perfect for football season!

Heather says:

I love this SO MUCH! And I have 4 boys. . . this could be fun!

this reminds me of some crochet football hats I’ve seen for sale on etsy. http://www.etsy.com/listing/77471629/football-hat-for-baby-cute-photo-prop I love it!

Annie says:

!!! Love this!

Anshu says:

So cool! I mean warm!
    What a fun hat!

Bethany says:

Very cute! I better not let my little one see these or I’ll have to drop everything and make one now! :)

Becca says:

Love these. I have a crazy obsession with hats. My boys probably have about 8 winter hats each, but who couldn’t use one (or three) more. I have an Angry Birds one planned and am finishing up an R2D2 one using my own similar pattern.

Beth says:

Super cute! My 5 year old son would LOVE this…pinning it now! Thanks for sharing. Smiles~Beth

tai says:

This is AWESOME! pinning pinning pinning!!!!

Kathleen says:

Ashley, that is so stinking cute!!!! I wonder if my husband would wear one! :)

I am loving this!! YOU, my dear, are amazing!!!
    My daughter is pregnant with quadruplets……so I will be using your ideas to
    make some preemie caps!
    Thank you!!

Mirissa says:

thank you for making cute stuff for boys!

Maureen M. says:

Ashley, once again this is genius :) I made some fleece caps to donate to a church Christmas ministry to local families and I will definitely bookmark this for next year! Thanks too for the tip about the direction the fleece stretches…I did not know that.

Sonya says:

Great idea! Wish I had this a few yrs ago! But maybe i will still find someone to make on for!

Wendy says:

First of all I love your website. You give me so much inspiration and I want to try almost every project. Secondly, I love how you can just “whip” up a hat for your little guy.

He seems so happy wearing it! And why wouldn’t he be? His mommy made him the best cap and stitched some love in it as well!

It’s time to make a ball!

Dogpackmomma says:

Very Clever! Thanks & Happy Trails!

Jan says:

I got on line to find where to buy these hats, I need two for a new baby and his toddler brother, found them for $15 each, plus shipping. This is a budget saver.

Kathy R. says:

Hi there,
    The pattern for the baby hats says 7.5 inches across. How wide did you make yours? Thanks!

I love it!! It’s such a cute idea. Visiting from Craft Gawker. :]

Shannon P says:

Love this! And it looks so easy. Definitely making one. Or five. :o)

awesome! Do you have instructions for a man’s size? My stepdad and brothers would LOVE these!

Carol P. says:

I am new to sewing and would like to make this for my 2 year old nephew. I don’t live near him so I was really hoping you could help me figure out dimensions. What measurements did you use when making your hat? Thanks for any help!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] Fleece Football Hat – Make It and Love It [...]

2. [...] it’s tall enough to cover the head and then come down to cover the ears.  (Click here and here for other hat [...]

3. [...] – NoodleheadMop Riding Horse – LightBlueGreyShapes & Colors Memory Game – DandeeFleece Football Hat – Make It and Love ItCozy Car Caddy Roll -  Homemade by JillNotebook Paper Shirt – [...]

4. [...] Make It and Love It, on Pinterest while searching for ideas for presents, and it gave me the idea to try and make a [...]

5. [...] “Hut! Hut! Hike!”  Keep those ears warm with a little Fleece Football Hat: [...]

6. [...] 4. Got a little football fan? He’ll love this fleece football hat by Make it and Love it: [...]