Sewing Tips: Practicing your Sewing Stitches (including the back-stitch)

Or a serger.  Or some new sewing supplies.

Yay!!  Now, it’s time to practice.

Many of you are very new to this crazy sewing thing so let me give you a really quick pep talk.

Okay.  You are not going to be super good at this your first time.  (Well, maybe you will be.  And if so, you should sign up for Project Runway!!)  So, sew your little heart out and try a few things.  Be happy with what you make and give yourself some credit for that first project.  Sewing does take practice but it also doesn’t take years and years of sewing to get good at it.  Also, don’t feel tied down to rules.  If something works for you, go for it.  Especially if you figure out a shortcut…..go for it!  And if someone tells you that everyone’s first project should be a pillowcase and you hate the idea of making a boring ‘ol pillow case, don’t make one.  Make a case for your iPad or make a pillow for your couch.  Do something fun!  Oh, and if someone tells you what a good job you’re doing, say “thank you”.  Not, “but, did you see my crooked lines or the bunchy bobbin threads on the back?!”.  Nope, none of that hoopla.  Only positive talk, got it?  :)

One more thing, if you think something is too hard to try, then yep, it’ll always be too hard to try.  But why not just give it a try?  Use some cheap fabric and just give it a go.  I cannot tell you how many times I sit at my sewing machine and grin from ear to ear as I look at something that actually worked.  I always hop up from  my seat and go show somebody (usually that dear husband of mine) and say, “look, can you believe this actually worked out?”.

It surprises me.  Every. Time.

Okay, enough pep-talking.  Now for a few sewing practice tips.

I know this first tip is so lame and you already know it……but practice.

You may not be perfect your first time revving up your machine……but you will get better, I promise.  And if you don’t want to practice on an actual project, grab some scrap fabric and start using your machine.

Okay, first real lesson: the Back-Stitch

A back-stitch is how you secure the beginning and end of your stitch.  (Or, you can tie both ends of your thread into a square knot with your hands…..but a back-stitch on your sewing machine is MUCH easier.)  To begin, put your needle down in to your fabric where you want to being your line of stitches.  (Generally, there is a wheel on the right side of your machine.  Turn it towards you until the needle goes down into your machine.)  Then put your presser foot down (that flat metal thing that pushes down on the fabric).

Now, sew a few stitches forward, stop, push your back-stitch button (it will be some sort of knob/button/lever) and hold it down and then start sewing again.  The needle should start sewing backwards now.  Stop when you get back to the beginning of your line of stitches.  (I lifted up my presser foot just to take the picture but it should be down while sewing.)

Now, continue sewing right over that row of stitches and continue on the path that you were wanting to sew.  When you reach the end of your row of stitching, push your back-stitch button/lever/knob and sew backwards a few stitches, resume to forward stitching and return to the end of the row of stitches that you made.

Why Back-Stitch????  Well, this will knot your threads in place.  There’s no need to tie anything in knots now and your seams will not unravel.  Yay.

Next up?  Sewing STRAIGHT Lines.

Sometimes you may find that you are a bit unsteady and your lines aren’t straight enough.  Well, it’s time to practice.  I think the best way is to try and sew on top of some lines while still a beginner.  So, draw some lines with a pencil and ruler and then just sew right on top of the lines.  Try to keep right on top of the lines and keep your lines really steady.  Then practice speeding up and slowing down and see if you can stay on your lines.

And since you know how to back-stitch now, practice using your back-stitch at the beginning and end of each seam.

And if you don’t want to draw lines and you have some striped fabric, use the stripes as a guide to sew your straight lines.

Sewing Around Curves and Corners

After you get nice and comfortable with those straight lines, sew around random shapes on your fabric, or draw some on your fabric.  WIth curves, you can’t sew as fast……so ease up on that foot pedal.  And as you sew, you may have to lift up your presser foot, readjust your fabric, and then continue on.  When I sewed that cloud looking shape, I only sewed 2-3 stitches and then readjusted my fabric and then sewed 2-3 more………all around those curves.  So, take your time!

And let’s have one more quick pep-talk…….it’s okay if your lines are squiggly and you can’t quite keep your needle right on the line.  You’re just practicing.  And you’ll get better.  Promise.  (And even after you’re done practicing and you sew your first project, and it looks squiggly, promise me you’ll cherish those imperfect lines and just be so pleased with yourself for making your first sewn item.  And email me, I’ll congratulate you!!!!!)

The Zig-Zag Stitch

Now, take a look at your machine and see what other things it can do. Most likely, you will find a zig-zag stitch.  It’ll probably show an image of just that, a zig-zag line.  I talk a little bit more about the zig-zag stitch and how adjusting the stitch width and the stitch length will change the look of your zig-zag, here.  So check that out too!

But here, I just changed the stitch width………see how different each row of zig-zags look?  Practice them.  And change your settings a bit.  You’ll see how cool it is to make nice and uniform little zig-zag stitches.

And there are many uses for the zig-zag stitch but one of the most common is zig-zagging a raw edge (so that it won’t unravel).  Generally, I will either zig-zag right on the edge (shown on the left) and the fabric will automatically just fold up under the stitching………or I will zig-zag a little bit away from the edge and then trim off that extra fabric right up next to the zig-zags.

Now practice sewing zig-zags along your edge of fabric.

Extra Stitches on Your Machine

Okay, now every machine is different and has different bells and whistles.  The machine I have has hundreds of different fancy stitches.  I have to plug in the number that I want it to do and then it sews that stitch over and over while the foot pedal is down.  Pretty cool.  (But honestly, I don’t use random stitches very often so don’t worry if your machine doesn’t have fancy stitches.)  So even if you have a really simple machine, take a look and see what it does have.  And then practice them.  And then adjust the stitch length and the stitch width.  And then sew it along a curve, etc.

Now, one last thing: Sewing 2 Pieces of Fabric Together.

Grab two little scraps and line up two edges that you want to sew together.  (Most often when sewing, you place 2 pieces together with the “right” sides of the fabric together.  This is because when you open it up, the raw edges are on the back.)  Start at one end and put your needle down in the fabric.

Then line up the right edges up with one of the markers on your machine.  This is called your “seam allowance”.  The line that I’m following on the right (where the arrow is pointing, is 5/8 of an inch from the needle.  So when a pattern tells me to use a 5/8″ seam allowance, I make sure my edges stay right along that line as I sew.

Take your time and use your hands as a guide.  Your machine will pull your fabric on its own so you don’t want to tug.  Just use your hands as a guide to keep the fabric straight, following the line over to the right if needs be.

Then, if you open those two pieces up that you just sewed together, you will see a nice clean line where the two pieces of fabric were joined.

And that’s enough for today.  Hopefully that will help you brand new sewists who are trying to get used to your machine.  (Or those of you who just need a bit more practice.)

Now, rev up that machine and sew your little heart out.  And then feel happy with what you’ve done.

And then challenge yourself and make something that you never thought you would even attempt.

Good luck!

Comments

113 Responses to “Sewing Tips: Practicing your Sewing Stitches (including the back-stitch)”

Thank you for this! This is a great tutorial and one I will put to good use!

Erin says:

That is a great post. I am happy to say that although I started sewing a little more than a year ago, your blog and its slow, clear tutorials have helped me advance quite a lot. I also think that when you’re practicing your stitches, it helps to do what you did in the photos–thread your machine with a thread that contrasts with the fabric you’re practicing on. That way, you can see how your stitches change and exactly what’s going on. Looking at the back of the fabric after I stitch helps, too. It’s hard not to want to race through your first projects, but I find that just sitting and thinking about the end product and visualizing what the sewing machine is doing helps a lot when I need to troubleshoot. And–reading your manual! I refer to mine all the time…so glad to have it.

Jennifer says:

This is so helpful! I get so frustrated with my machine when really it’s my lack of experience that’s the problem. I’ll slow down and work on the basics. Thank you!

Sheila Laurence says:

What a nice post! I’m not new to sewing, but this is so timely for those who did get new machines or have a new year’s resolution to learn to sew!

Christy says:

Thank you so much for this. I got a sewing machine last year for Christmas and am currently taking a sewing class to try to learn how to use my machine better and just feel more confident making more projects. Lately, I have felt very discouraged because I don’t understand everything in my class. The way you explain things is so easy and well laid-out it just makes sense to me!! Thank you!! I am excited about sewing and want to learn more. I know you are one busy little lady but I would love if you kept these sewing tutorials up and gave us ideas of beginner projects to try.
    MANY MANY THANKS!! Happy New Year!!

CaroleM says:

Great pep talk! One thing that has helped me a lot is that I received a lot of free scrap fabric through things like Freecycle in my area. You are less worried about messing up good fabric when you have scrap fabric, you probably would never use otherwise, perfect for practicing on.

Sarah says:

I am so excited to bust out my new machine this weekend! My grandmother tried to get me into sewing when I was young, but I got so frustrated, I lost interest quickly. Now that I’m a grown woman with 2 kids, I now see the value in such an art. I think if I’d have had this sort of easy step by step as a kid, I’d have been better off. Thanks so much!

Melissa says:

Thank you so much – you have no idea how much I needed this today! I got a machine for Christmas and I just began practicing stitches yesterday. My first project is making an t-shirt with applique numbers on back (like a jersey). This tutorial was exactly the pep I needed!

Sarah says:

Thank you!! I just got a machine for Christmas. Now I’m going to grab some scraps and practice!! I can’t wait to see more tips and projects!

Jennifer says:

Great post! Even though i got my sewing machine almost 5 years ago, I am only now starting to sew, and got a serger for Christmas.I did some pajama pants for Christmas and the first one kicked my butt! But taking my time and finishing the other two helped me feel so accomplished!

My daughter, who just turned 9, has asked me to teach her to sew. It’s been so long since I learned I didn’t know where to start. I’m going to follow your steps for her. She’ll be sewing in no time. Thanks!

Zerique says:

great tutorial!!! i got my sewing machine for christmas last year and I absolutely would have loved loved loved this – so those with the new machine this year are probably ecstatic about this post!!! you are awesome!!!

Laura says:

I will definitely be using these techniques as I teach my children to sew (and they are great practice for me as well, as I never really mastered curves when I was learning in my youth).

Edie says:

great post thank you. my challenge to myself is an attic window quilt make from a panel. I am nervous about cutting up the panel, as it is very pretty, but excited about the attic window. I just hope I can do it correctly.
    Do you have any tips or how-tos for attic window quilts?

Amy says:

I remember sewing straight lines and curvy lines in home ec on paper the teacher had shapes printed out on. a good way to save on material or if you don’t have scraps. I don’t evern think we used thread! hope all those begginer sewers are having fun! sewing can be so rewarding :)

Edie says:

I have seen this suggested on a quilting forum as well. A great way for anyone to practice their stitches without using up the thread and fabric. (use an old needle so you don’t dull the good one)

Jess Z says:

I want to thank you for this post! My husband bought me a sewing machine a few months ago and I have made a few things, but feel so frustrated with my final product because it’s not “perfect”. I self taught myself to use it with the manual and video it came with it. I’ve made a few things here and there over the past few months, but this helped! I knew there was an easier way to secure the beginning of a stitch! :)

Sarah Lou says:

This is great, i will be forwarding this on to a few newbie sewers i know. One tip that helped me greatly was Not to watch the needle – keep my eyes on guiding the fabric – i was much straighter after that.

Lisa says:

Thanks! I needed that. I have a little sewing machine that I think only does straight lines. I figured I would start off with a small machine that was inexpensive to see how it goes. I’m going to be working on some pillows for the couch.

Michelle says:

Thanks for the pep talk! We are always our worst critic…paying too much attention to the little “mistakes” instead of taking in the whole finished product and knowing that you did a good job. If you think something is too hard…break it down piece by piece…my first quilt project was a twin size quilt…started with just doing one block at a time and eventually I had 72. By that point, sewing some sashing and borders didn’t seem so hard either. That was 9 years ago, and it’s still on my son’s bed.

HW says:

When I first started sewing as a kid, I sewed without any thread in the machine and sewed on a piece of paper to practice different designs. You can see the holes where the needle to to see if you’re going where you want to or not. I used photocopies out of a sewing book for kids, but you could draw designs on paper or even use a coloring book page. It’s a cheap easy way to practice and if you mess up real bad, just recycle!

eliza joy says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I just received a sewing machine for Christmas and it is still sitting on the counter in my craft room because I just didn’t know where to start. As soon as the kiddos are in bed tonight, I’m going to begin!

Sarah K. says:

I love your pep talk! I’ve been sewing for a few years, but I’m a dabbler, and I’ve only taken on more challenging (to me) projects in the past year or two because of fabulous tutorials like yours that make sewing so much more approachable. I need to practice the special stitches on my machine, and I need to learn to sew a curvy shape (on purpose)!

Natalie says:

Thank you so much for this. I love your site and hope to be up to beginners status soon. I just got my first sewing machine and am not really sure where to start. All the project tutorials I see seem to be for people much more advanced then me.

MariaC says:

What a great tutorial, everyone has to start somewhere, I’ve been sewing since I was about 6 yrs old but can still learn a thing or two from your tutorials I get all excited when I see that you have a new blog post :). Today I will be attempting your drawstring bags,my littlies can use some storage containers!! Happy New Year!!

Audrey says:

Great tips, and I would like to add that like anything new you want to learn, it doesn’t hurt to take a class from your local sewing/quilt shop. And if you bought your machine from a dealer, take the classes they offer. I cannot stress that enough! One thing about classes is they teach you a lot and also motivate you to finish your project. Make sure your machine is in good working order (if you have had it for a while, get it serviced) and put a NEW needle in it!! LOL. Good luck to all the new sewers, you will not regret learning to sew.

Maria says:

Thank you so much for this! My mom found me a $10 sewing machine at a tag sale (circa 1965 or something like that) but old Bessie is doing well…and I’m learning!!

EVERY tip helps too – so these were great!!
    THANKS!!!!!!!!

Sharon Thomas says:

I just sent this link to my 11 year old granddaughter. I gave her a sewing machine last summer. I think your hints and how-to’s will help her immensely.

Kiersten says:

I know this sounds a little too basic, but don’t forget to lower the presser foot. I was trying to walk my very non-sewer sister through a project and didn’t even think to tell her to lower the presser foot. She didn’t do it and got all flustered and may never see again!

Cerise says:

I wish I had, had a tutorial like this when I was first starting. Looks great and super easy!

J says:

This is soooo helpful. I’m waiting for my new machine to come in the mail. I can’t wait to start practicing, thanks for the motivation.
    -J

wingsto.blogspot.com

Vickie says:

Thanks for the pep talk it has me wanting to pull out the machine and give it another try. I have a small machine a New Home it has nothing fancy on it and is just a plain simple machine. Well I say simple BUT it’s not so simple for me. lol We bought this machine for our daughter 7 or 8 years ago because she just had to have one for her birthday because her friend had gotten one for hers. I didn’t sew and never had so we thought if she was wanting to learn to do this GREAT. That lasted maybe a month! I have tried off and on to teach myself and have made a few different projects but the machine will act up or I will make a huge mistake and the machine gets put up. I have made some rice pads and my most achieved project was a cover for the machine. I couldn’t believe I actually did it. Hmmmm… that was the last thing that turned out right and I got frustrated and put the machine away. If you go here http://scpepccee.blogspot.com/2010/09/sewing-machine-cover-and-happening-of.html you can see a picture of it. Anyway now that you have given me inspiration I think I will get that machine out and give it another shot. Please keep giving sewing tips every so often.

KathyH says:

Excellent! I got a new machine, too, and this will be very handy! Thanks so much!

thanks so much for this! you totally read my mind- i’m way insecure about my wiggly lines and threads hanging out all over the place. but you’re right, the sense of accomplishment i got from sewing that wonky stocking was intense :)

Catrina says:

On your next tutorial, would you mind talking about how to properly cut fabric? I’ve made several little projects, but I never get my fabric cut straight and then the seam allowance doesn’t quite work if the fabric is crooked to begin with!! The whole bias, selvage, etc. thing doesn’t make sense to me, either! Thanks!! Your tutorials are fabulous, by the way!!

Ms Kate says:

Oh I’ve been sewing for a while now, but hadn’t thought of just zigzagging the ends like that! I normally fold over, and then sew, but I might try that next time!

Office Girl says:

I just found your blog from She’s Crafty blog. I have been contemplating learning to sew but have been a little reluctant. This pep talk was just what I needed to gather my courage and just have fun and do it! I can’t wait!

Katie says:

Thank you SO much for this post! I took Home Ec in jr. high but promptly forgot everything I learned in that class. My husband told me I could get a sewing machine if I wanted, but I’ve been too intimidated because every time I sit down at my mom’s machine to try something (not many) I get frustrated and give up. I’m so glad I found your blog through Pinterest, I’ll be coming back when I get my machine for sure!

Andrea says:

Thank you! I got a sewing machine for Christmas but know nothing about sewing. This gives me a few tips on how to start out.

Amy K. says:

What a great pep talk!!! I am a fairly experienced sewist (sounds pretentious, but better than sewer!), but this post reminded me of that great feeling the first time something turns out how you pictured it, and also made me giddy for all the new sewists out there! =)

kelly says:

my daughter just got her 1st machine-what a perfect place to start!!!

Jennifer says:

I have been sewing for a year now, but this is a great refresher! I never even thought about trying those fancy stitches on my machine! I am going to go try it now. hehe :0)

Michele N says:

Thank you Ashley for reminding us that our lines don’t have to be perfectly straight. I’ve had a sewing machine of one sort or another for the last 16 years, all were handed down or bought used until almost 2 years ago when we broke down & I got a brand new sewing/embroidery machine. I must say I love it, I still don’t sew the straightest lines, one of things I like is that I don’t have to use the foot pedal, I have a button that will start & stop sewing the stitches. 3 years ago I got my grandmothers 1942 Singer which I still have never used because I don’t know how to. The shop that I had service it & that I bought my other machine from will show me how to use it, I just haven’t had the time. This summer we bought my 11 year old daughter an older dressmaker machine, the thing is heavy & appears to be indestructible. A friend of mine tried to help teach her to sew a couple of weeks ago. She made a Barbie pillow & was so excited. Especially with that machine I think practicing on the lines will be a great help to her. As people mentioned it, I now remember sewing on the paper in high school too. We might try that also. She now wants to make herself a tote bag. I don’t think she’s ready for that yet. Keep the hints & simple tutorials coming!

DMC says:

I love these back to basic tutorials. Could you (or have you) do one on needles? How to pick the right one? Types for different fabrics? Also a basics about thread? Maybe it’s not as complex as it seems, but these basics seem to be missing from a lot of places, and your instructions are so understandable.

vicki says:

Just got a sewing machine a couple days ago!! I’ve had one in the past ( like 13 yrs ago!!!) but this is great for getting re started. I hated my last machine because it was sooo hard to thread so hopefully this one is much simplier. I’m going to bookmark this because I will probably need all your help!!

Jenn says:

This is too perfect! My mom gave me her 4H book, and I can’t help but laugh at some of the stuff they say is important, like making sure your nails are always clipped and rounded. It also says to practice on paper and gives the same sorts of lines to practice with as you did above. Thanks again… can’t wait to get started on that bad boy!

Megan says:

Great tutorial! I received a fancy machine for Christmas, which seemed a bit much for my novice experience and first sewing machine. I’m really enjoying it, now that I’ve conquered getting thread on the bobbin and straight lines without bird nesting the bobbin. I’m learning from my mistakes and have a better understanding of how my machine works because of those mistakes. Staying positive really is the key to success! Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Anna says:

I still have my ancient Singer machine with just the basics, but it does the job. The only thing I wish I knew how to do is to sew on quilt binding on the machine. I tried it recently on my first quilt and it looked so bad I had to tear it all up and redo it by hand…which was definitely not fun. I know there has to be a trick or something to make it easier, but I’ve yet to figure it out.

Kendra L says:

Thanks!! I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I’m STOKED to use it! I was pleasantly surprised to read this post and already know everything you wrote….so that makes me feel pretty confident that I’m not AS “beginner” as i thought! :)

Elizabeth says:

Yay! Love you the way you present things in simple easy steps. I am a newbie to this thing called sewing. After struggling to get my machine’s thread tension for a few hours, I finally produced a few perfect stitches. I seriously nearly gave up. After practicing my lines and curves, I can start on a project I’ve been putting off hand stitching. Wondering though, what are all the different feet for? (Internet isn’t giving me much solid info, yet.)

mary says:

ohmygosh this is so great!!
    i just have to say i always love your projects and sewing advice. Your website was the first sewing website I visited and definitely one of the most helpful!

Robyn says:

I just did my first invisible hem the other day thanks to a tutorial of yours. I feel so empowered I’m going to go make a ton of skirts! :)
    Thanks! :)

Annette says:

Amazing! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I bought myself a machine for my birthday this month, and had no idea how to get started. I don’t have any “spare fabric” around, but I’m about to raid the goodwill bin for some practice materials. :-) Thanks, again, for making such an easy-to-follow tutorial!

Jolynn says:

Thanks for this tutorial! It’s nice to find some things that are for beginners :)

jess says:

love love love! i have a machine that i barely use because i’m not comfortable with it. so happy!!! thank you so much!

Becky says:

Thanks so much for this blog post! I got my first sewing machine for Christmas and a week after the big day I’m still to try it out. I’ve been petrified to get started, and despite getting a book to help me and reading the manual, I’ve been completely baffled. Now I’ve read this I feel so much more confident and actually excited to get going. I think it’ll probably take me a while, but I will show you what I manage to make. :-D

Ellen says:

I just got a call yesterday from a friend about buying her first machine. When I read this post I immediately posted it t her FB page and then immediately posted it to a crafters page that I belong to. My children know how to sew, but I think some of the tips on here can enhance their skills so much.
    Also – I use Google Reader and only read titles to see which ones I’m actually going to open and read. Loved how specific your title was so that I knew exactly what your post was about. Keep up the great journalistic work!

Vicki says:

So perfect! I stumbled onto your blog when I was working on a magnetic paper doll project for Christmas and I just had to sew a cover just like the one you did….so I went and bought a little sewing machine to do it! Now I’ve been reading up on sewing and bought a couple of beginner’s books. I can’t wait to do some more projects on my new machine. Thanks for the excellent (but basic enough for us newbies) tips. You should make your own crafting/sewing book – you’re projects are so creative! I’d be first in line to buy it!

I’m going to be getting a serger this year. I’ve been researching a few but wanted to see which one you recommended. My price range would be 200-500, and since I’m a newbie I don’t need too many gadgets. I’ll be making wool diapers. Thanks :)

Debbie says:

Thank you so much for posting this. Santa brought me a sewing machine for Xmas and I was a little overwhelmed at where to start!

Kimber says:

Ach! My husband went an bought me a new sewing machine and it came with a DVD that will put you to sleep lol so I’m so thankful I have your blog to simplify things a little better. I was intending on getting a basic Singer, but he got me a digital Fashion Mate Singer and I’m a little scared. OK a LOT scared. I’ve never touched a sewing machine in my life. So thankful for Mr Awesome and my spiffy new machine. I will be perusing your tutorials in just a minute ;D

Katharine says:

What a great post! I’ve had my sewing machine for a little under a year now and have done a few projects, but it helps to think about practicing the basics. Thanks for being so encouraging! Happy new year!

Jana says:

Maybe you could do a blog post on sewing essencials and stuff that is just nice to have. Like, I noticed you have a table that your sewing machine drops into. I wish I had one of those. What type of thread do you love to use? Do you use weights to hold down your pattern pieces or do you pin the pattern to the fabric? What are your favorite scissors to use and how many different types do you have? Help us be more efficient in our sewing skills!

Melissa says:

I happened upon your website when searching for beginner sewing projects. I was so EXCITED to read this post because it is exactly what I am looking for! I picked up a Dress Maker sewing machine at a garage sale this fall and have had a few ladies tell me I got a very nice machine and here I sit… thinking… wish I knew how to use it! Your pep talk is very encouraging, just like you are sitting here beside me telling me it doesn’t have to be perfect. Well, that’s the first thing to get past I guess. Thank you and please keep the tips coming!!! Wondering what should be my first project? What do you recommend? I also appreciate the helpful comments everyone else made before me! Thanks and Happy New Sewing Year!

Amanda says:

Thanks for the great starting tips. I received a sewing machine for Christmas and have what is probably a very stupid question. Do you sew the decorative stitches (daisy, turkey feet,Greek keys, leaves, etc.) on the wrong side of the fabric or the right side? I know this is probably a silly question, but all the sewing tutorials on the web jump right into how you can use the decorative stitching without explaining this. My operation manual doesn’t explain it either. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Ellie says:

One of the best beginning sewing tutorial I’ve seen. Since I get inquiries about learning to sew, I’ve posted a link to your blog. It shows clearly and concisely with great pics how to get started.
    Thanks.

Allison says:

This is such a good tutorial…it would’ve come in handy when I was first learning lol. I’m still fairly new at sewing though so I’m still going to put some of your advice to work like practicing more. You’re the person that gave me the courage to try to sew my first pair of baby leggings for my daughter(my first successful project). So, thank you for that.

Ashley Williams says:

This was so wonderful and helpful! Thank you for taking the time to post it!! I would love if you made more of these. I got my first sewing machine about a year ago and I’ve made a couple of things, but I always get so discouraged. Being a perfectionist, the crooked lines and messed up edges drive me CRAZY, but reading this gave me a little hope. Thanks so much again! I can’t wait to see what more “sewing classes” you post in the future!

Meagan says:

Thank you so much for this little guide! I got a sewing machine for Christmas and I am completely intimidated seeing as how I have never so much as sewed a button on. But this gives me encouragement! Thanks again!

Ashlee says:

So my machine has decided to poop out on me. It’s just a cheep one I got to learn on, and now that I”m doing more I want to get something a little nicer… but I have NO idea what to look for! I don’t really want to spend a ton, maybe $300? HELP!

Alexandra says:

Thank you so much for this post. I wish I had it yesterday. I did my first project ever on my new sewing machine. It was a whale stuffie for my 5 month old son and I could not get the tail right and I was almost in tears. My mom said it didn’t have to be perfect and he ended up loving it.

This is just what I’ve been looking for! I bought my 4 (well almost 5 year old) a sewing machine for Christmas. .. a real one because the toy ones all had HORRIBLE reviews. She’s already been practicing and can you believe she can thread it all by herself? That’s my determined Little M! Anyway, I taught her the back-stitch (tying a knot) but wasn’t really sure where to go from there. I love the idea of drawing on the fabric to practice!

Angela says:

I need help!! My sewing machine will not pull the fabric thru, (the machine is used, was given to me by a friend), I have to pull the fabric. Do you have any suggestions, everything else seems to be working fine?

Thank you so much for this! i just saw this on craft gawker and it was perfect timing, as I got my first ever sewing machine yesterday! I was very intimidated and didn’t know where to start, and this is PERFECT! I will try to remember to email pictures when I complete my first project. YAY!

Cynthia says:

Thanks so much for these tips! I did get a sewing machine for Christmas, and I just now got back to my RSS feed after all the holiday clean-up. Want to share my first sewing project with you (and it’s not a pillow case!) I posted it on my blog http://cyndicated.wordpress.com/2012/01/06/a-sewing-machine-makes-all-the-difference/

Eileen Kovalchik says:

Can you help me with the manual buttonhole feature, No 9, and the keyhole buttonhole, No.10 on the Bernina 150? I have practiced, but can’t figure out how to use the memory for two exact buttonholes and how to use the reverse button when making the buttonholes.

Thanks, Eileen

Neha says:

Thanks so much for this great cheat sheet!! I’m so new to my sewing machine that I didn’t even realize there was a back-stitch button! …I just kept turning the fabric around to go over my stitches a second time.. Thank you!!

Mariya says:

I received a sewing machine years ago for Christmas. I’ve been embarassed to tell the giver that I’ve been to scared to actually use it. Thanks for the motivation!

Corra says:

I came to thank you for the sewing tips, and found out about you raising fund to help Dylan. I have bought all 7 patterns though I am a complete beginner in sewing. I truly appreciate what you have contributed so far, you are such a kind artist, mother and as friend.

I’ve broadcasted and blogged about it too so many more people could contribute. Best wishes to Dylan and his family! And may you and your family well blessed!

Corra @ de Cor’s Handmades

Jessica says:

Hi there!
    Your blog is amazing! I wish I would’ve seen the patterns for sale yesterday to help Mr. Dylan! But regardless, i just got a Brother CS-6000i for Christmas and this post has given me the courage to start using it! Thanks again!!!!!

Emily says:

Loved reading this! Great info to know. I got a sewing machine for my 11th birthday- I used it for a while, then it’s been sitting around for the last 9 years! Now I have a 1-year-old and I am loving making clothes for her. Question about bobbin and elastic- my bobbin starts acting weird every time I try to sew elastic. It bunches up and just stops sewing all together. Any idea how to fix it? I had friends tell me that it might be the tension, but I am kinda afraid to mess with it! I’m definitely a beginner, but I’m pretty proud of all of my projects! My daughter actually rocked your “Old sweater into sweater dress” today! Turned out great, and took me less than an hour last night!

Shelby says:

Thanks for tutorial!! It’s great to see that there are so many other ppl out there who are just getting started like I am. I have been starting slow and getting to know the ins and outs of my machine before doing anything. What can I say, I’ve always been a studier.

Anyway, I’m not sure if anyone else has mentioned this because I started reading through comments and then saw how many there were, but I got a tip to start practicing straight lines on lined school paper! The lines are already there (more than 20 on each sheet!) and I don’t feel bad going through paper that I can recycle afterwards. I have been doing it w/o threading the machine, though, just to get used to “driving”. Just thought it might be a helpful tip for others getting started as well.

Katie says:

Thanks for the tutorial. So much to go through. It was really helpful.

Jessica says:

Thank so much for your tips and detailed pictures! My machine gets delivered tomorrow and I can’t wait to get started. I’ll be checking your blog frequently for tutorials.

Great post! I’m teaching myself how to sew and this was so helpful! Thanks!

Candy says:

What a wonderful post! I am a teacher (math) so I appreciate a good lesson. I am going to go home and start practicing my sewing skills tonight. Thank you (:

Nicole says:

I also want to thank you for this excellent post! My mother recently passed away and I inherited 3 of her sewing machines, but have been too intimidated to use any of them (lots more bells and whistles than the kenmore machine she taught me to sew on!). Your tutorial gave me the idea to not only practice the different stitches they have, but to keep my practice pieces in a notebook with a tag stating the stitch, length and width. That way, I have a visual reference to turn to (instead of the black and white line drawings in the manual) when I need a new stitch to use.

Thanks again!

Angela says:

Thank you for your tips. I bought my machine a few years ago and have tried to sew off and on. I loved your ideas about making straight lines on the cloth to help sew a straight line. Another tip is to take a piece of masking/blue painters tape and put it on the 5/8 seam allowance line of your machine to help sew a straight line. I saw this tip on youtube.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I got my very first sewing machine a few months ago and I have been so lost! I have no one to teach me and all the tutorials I have found online don’t seem very beginner to me. I am so happy to have found these! I can’t wait to try them out when the kiddos go to sleep tonight!

Alex says:

I just came across your website looking for what stitch to use for a hem and I just want to say thank you for all of your great and very simplified tutorials for beginners like myself who as of 2 weeks ago didn’t even know what a bobbin was. I just used a sewing machine for the first time in my entire life never mind adult life – entire life) this past week and last night managed to make a simple pillowcase skirt and I laughed at your comment of what it looks like on the inside because I can relate to that. Your tutorials that I browsed over now for the day have been so helpful. I really appreciate this one though as I am having a tough time sewing in curved areas. Do you by any chance have one on how to get re-started in the middle of a stitch if you run out of thread or the bobbin get jammed? I’m finding so far that is a bit tricky. I realize that may seem like an obvious easy answer to a professional sewer but when you’re a newbie, I am wondering if there are any tricks to restarting? Many thanks!

sonia says:

excellent guide for newbies like me plus its so inspiring.

rena says:

this really work n im taken sewing classes

Bridget says:

Thank you! Trying to teach myself and getting discouraged because I cannot sew a straight line or thread bunches up etc…still figuring it out, but really liked this turtorial/ pep talk. Thanks!! :)

Leila says:

I had an old sewign machine I haven’t used for a long time. The fabric goes the opposite way when I started sewing.

Nicky says:

Thanks for the great tips. My hubby just bought me my first sewing machine for our wedding anniversary (yes romantic I know :/) but I always sew by hand and things take me so long to make. So I couldn’t wait to get started and quickly realised that people make it look so easy. I will practice your tips and see how I go. I had real trouble going round the bends!! Thank you.

CandyAngel says:

This may have given me the courage to try ;)* great tutorial!

Thank you fantastic tutorial. I’ve seen lots of sewing ideas and want to learn. I’ve bought a small sewing machine so will give it a try. Jenny x

Tamara says:

THANK YOU!!! This is perfect for what I was looking for! So helpful. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Rosailee says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial and especially the pep talk!
    This past week, I’ve been working with some especially advanced patterns and got a little discouraged at having cut them too small. I, being my teenager self, started beating myself up over it and saying I couldn’t sew worth a crap. After reading this and having some encouragement from my friends, I think I’ll get back to making my lovely lolita dresses! Thanks for the tips and encouragement~

April says:

If my back stiches seem to not lock the stiches in place what am I doing wrong?? Also, how do you back stich a zig zag?? Thanks!!

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww, this is sooooo awesomly helpful!! :)

This was simple and helpful thanks so much!!

Becky says:

I just found your page and I LOVE it! I have sewed my whole life but because of busy family, work and church life, I have not done much lately. Now that the church job is done, I have more time and your page is definitely a place I plan on spending some time to find great sewing ideas and tips on how to freshen up my skills. Thanks!

Melanie C says:

Thank you for the tutorial, I’ve just set up a super old Jones machine I was given. It doesn’t have the zig zag stitches and all that fancy stuff but it sews (yippee!) so I’ll be practising straight lines and back stitch all week :) x

Norma says:

Very nice post. I’m learning to quilt all by myself and this post on how to practice is perfect.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] In case you missed it, I posted a few tips to help with your basic sewing stitches, found here. [...]

2. [...] Sewing Tips: Practicing your Sewing Stitches (including the back-stitch) | Make It and Love It Ooooh, okay, so many more of you told me that you received a new sewing machine for Christmas . [...]

3. [...] before you start your first project you’ll want to practice stitching on some scrap fabric. Here are some great tips to help [...]

4. [...] before you start your first project you’ll want to practice stitching on some scrap fabric. Here are some great tips to help [...]

5. [...] soon pay for themselves in the time and money that you save. Once you have the machine, you can practice sewing basic stitches in straight lines by doing a simple project such as cloth napkins, potholders, or curtains. Straight lines will be [...]