Holder for Charging Cell Phone (made from lotion bottle)

My husband and I both have cell phones.  And both of us have phone chargers.  And that means lots of obnoxious cords.  You never know when one of us may be moving phone cords around, to give our phones an extra charge while we’re chatting away……… or trying to charge our phones up before running errands or something. Needless to say, those phone cords seem to be everywhere…..and are generally in the way and hanging all over the floor.

(Okay, and how about when you’re in a hotel or visiting family/friends.  There’s never a perfect place to rest your phone while it’s charging.)

I was looking around on the internet for a solution and found this.  But I read some reviews and some were saying that the platform was unstable.  So I thought a holder that was more cup shape would work much better.  But then I wasn’t sure how I was going to sew some plastic into a cup shape.  And that’s when I decided to use what I have and cut an old baby lotion bottle into the shape I needed.

It made the perfect little holder for my cell phone while it’s being charged.

And no more phone hanging down from the outlet while in this room or that room……..the cord and phone are  now up off the ground, and tucked away into the little holder, while the phone drinks up a full charge.

And of course I couldn’t just leave the poor little holder alone……I had to Mod Podge some fabric right onto it for some kick.  Hey, when my cell phone is happy, then I’m happy.

If you look closely, you can see that the orange print is fabric.  There are edges of fabric along the bottom and then one line down the back where the fabric met up.  But hardly noticeable while in use.  (For a few more options……you could also spray paint it, then stencil it or use vinyl cut outs over the paint.  That would be cute too.)

And my favorite part, is that I didn’t have to buy a thing.  The entire holder was made from things I had on hand.

And turns out, it’s pretty useful.  And not one bit of an eyesore.

Would you like to make your own Cell Phone Holder?

First of all, take a look around your house?  Do you have any old plastic bottles that are just about empty?  A lotion bottle, a mustard bottle, a hairspray or shampoo bottle?  Whatever you choose, find one that’s more flattened rather than a circular bottle.  The flattened shape will keep the bottle closer to the wall and out of the way once a cell phone is placed inside.

Now, measure your cell phone against the bottle, to be sure the bottle isn’t too big or too small.

I found that this bottle of baby lotion was the perfect size for my iphone.  So I washed this out with hot water and let it air dry.

Then I held my phone up to the bottle, starting at the bottom…..and decided how high I wanted the front of the holder to be.  Then I made a line with a pen across the front at that point.  Then I turned the bottle around and continued the line to the back but curved the back upwards.

I cut the bottle out with some kitchen scissors but a box cutter (or exacto knife) would work too.  I just have more control with scissors…….so I used them for this part.  I cut along the line until I was left with my phone holder shape.

Then, I drew a curved box shape on the upper back of the bottle.  Then I cut it out.  (What worked best for me was using a box cutter/exacto knife with a cutting board underneath.  This helped my control a ton.)  Then I used sand paper to smooth out all of the edges.

Like I mentioned above……you could now try spray paining and adding vinyl or stenciling it to finish your look.  Do whatever is best for you.

But here’s how I added the fabric:

First, you want to sand the surface of the whole thing.  This will really help to rough it up so that the Mod Podge will stick really well in the next steps.  Also, I didn’t want that blue ink to show through from the other side, so I sanded most of the lettering off too.  Worked great.

Then, I cut a piece of fabric that was big enough to wrap around the phone holder and was also an inch or two taller on the top and bottom.

Then, I turned the phone holder with the front facing me, and applied a generous layer of Mod Podge to the front.

Next, place the fabric right on top, centering it where it needs to go.

Then, apply more Mod Podge around the side of the container and continue to lay the fabric down right against it, pulling tightly as you wrap.  Also, be sure to pull the fabric down around the curve of the bottom of your bottle, if needs be.  This will help keep the fabric flat and smooth.  Use plenty of Mod Podge to aide you in this process.

When you get to the back, overlap one of the edges over the other.  Make sure the fabric is smooth all the way around the bottle……and then cut a straight line up the back of the container, trimming off the excess fabric.

Then trim around the entire container, cutting off the fabric nice and close to the edge.  Now, apply a nice thick layer of Mod Podge over all of the fabric.  Be sure and seal around all of the edges of fabric with the Mod Podge, ensuring that the fabric won’t peel off.

Lastly, cut an oval shape (or whatever shape applies to you) to fit the bottom of the bottle.  Place a layer of Mod Podge on the bottom of the bottom, place the oval shape on the bottom, then apply another coat of the Mod Podge.  Now set it upside down on something tall and slender and that your container can fit on top of, so that it can dry without touching anything.  (That’s a single flower vase that I’m using.)

Once it’s dry, use a box cutter/exacto knife to cut out the square-ish opening.  You’ll probably need to apply more Mod Podge around the opening and allow it to dry again.

Now, don’t worry if your edges aren’t smooth and have little pieces of fabric sticking off.  Use your box cutter/exacto knife and run the blade right along the edge of the phone holder all the way around, to remove any stray threads or chunks of dried Mod Podge.

And that’s it.  Your phone holder is ready for use.

**Use at your own risk.  There are many controversial comments down below……a large amount supporting both sides.  Bottom line: if you’re worried about electrical/outlet issues, attach a hook right next to the outlet, to hang your holder from while it’s plugged in.  Or use the holder for other purposes. :)

Filed under Accessory, Featured, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, No Sew, Re-purposing

Comments

656 Responses to “Holder for Charging Cell Phone (made from lotion bottle)”

brilliant! I have to make these forsure! Awesome post

t hicks says:

omg – that is so cool!
      I just found a parents choice (wal-mart brand) of baby lotion for bedtime…with a purple lid
      it has easy to peel off stickers on the front and back… no need to sand letters… in fact until
      I can find material I like to match my kitchen… it is an ok look… to keep my counter a bit less
      cord cluttered : )

This is absolutely great!
      K.

Samantha says:

Also would be great to hold your phone near kitchen counters, when you need your phone close at hand but don’t want i to get messy or wet while cooking. Any ideas of something that would be big and sturdy enough to hold my e reader? I hate leaving it on the floor to charge, always afraid I will step on it.

Lizzie says:

Hi, this is random but what type of camera do you use to take photos of the steps?

Thanks! looking into buying a new dslr!

Barbara says:

Sometimes, the simplest things solve big problems. And still, we pay good money for something expensive when something created at home will do the job better. Thanks for the lesson.

HOW CUTTEE…

bambi says:

This is an absolutely awesome idea. I made one for my daughters cell phone. Its not an apple but the holder fit great none the less. thanks for sharing.

Mary says:

I made mine a with two holes, for two phone chargers. That way me and the hubby can charge both our phones at the same time. I used mod podge and scrapbook paper and it looks fantastic!

jenni says:

genius! i am off to search my house for some bottles of lotion!!! thank you!

Monica says:

Awesome! I’ve seen these in stores and thought… I bet I could make that! And now I will be able to…

Super cute idea :) i will definitely give it a try because I LOVE my iPhone :) so its necessary!!
    Thanks a bunch for sharing the how-to

Fiona says:

brilliant… I love the idea of a special holder and recycling a bottle… thanks..
    Hugz

Amy says:

This is amazing! I can’t wait to find a bottle to use!

Kerry says:

Again, you’re a genius. Thanks for the little boy tie pattern, can’t wait to make it!

I love it, When I travel its always hard to find a spot to charge my phone this is great!!

Natalie O says:

Genius! I’ve got a baby lotion bottle that’s just about empty! :)

I’d love to meet up with you and a bunch of crafters in Denver! Only, I live in Utah, and I don’t think I’ll be able to talk my hubs into the drive. With five kids. Sigh…

But, I’d totally do it if it were here! :)

Lynette says:

Um, I am making one of these babies like pronto! My phone and ipod use the same charging plug/cord, and they are always sitting on the floor somewhere. This will be wonderful. I even have a empty baby shampoo bottle to use too. And my sewing machine is in the shop, so a no-sew project is fantastic! Thanks!

Lynette says:

Made it, love it! Waiting for it to dry, and then I’ll blog about it and add it to flickr. Way excited to use it, and I’m making this for Christmas gifts as well. Thanks again!

• 11.1.1

Me too! Love mine, and will be making ones for my hubs (in manly camo print) and daughter for her Nintendo DS!

Pauline says:

love it !!!!!!

Miranda says:

Absolutely love this! Am so going to make at least one for me and one for my husband!

Leigh Ann says:

Love this! Making it soon! Thank you!

Marie says:

While cute, it is potentially dangerous. Lotion bottles are not necessarily designed to be heat-resistant, and I kinda think that the LAST thing you might want is for it to either melt into the outlet or slip behind the “head” and hit the prongs. Pushing it forward doesn’t help, as it stresses the wires inside. Just sayin’.

LOL… you realize that plastic is non-conductive, right? if the bottle hits the prongs (gasp!) there will not be a electrical current surge through it… that’s why all plugs, connectors, etc are plastic!

And as far as stressing the wires inside… what do you mean? There are MANY products on the market that weigh much more than a phone and cord (think battery chargers, CO2 detectors and the like). You’re not going to ruin your plug and it’s “wires” from hanging an additional few ounces!

Just sayin’.

• 15.1.1

I thinks Marie means that the plastic could heat up and melt, which could be dangerous. I have seen a bunch of tutorials on this project, and lots have been deleted because it could be a safety hazard. The lotion/condiment bottles probably are not meant for this kind of use. But it is very cute!

• 15.1.1.1
          Nancy says:

I totally agree…while I was reading this I thought about it getting warm and who knows…just when you least expect it..something crazy happens right! Be safe..sounds like a nice idea but best to find something else to use.

• Anonymous says:

Ashley, I wonder, do you think that vinyl fabric would be safer or do you think that it would be the same amount of risk? I think a vinyl version of this would be very cute, too. The plastic just seems a little iffy

• Mike @HA says:

It’s *probably* not going to shock you or melt unless it’s touching both prongs at the same time. Even then it might not do anything. But I certainly wouldn’t hang anything from a live conductor in my house! The weight shouldn’t be a problem, there are extension cords that weigh more than a phone. It’s a cool idea, I’d just look for a way to hang it from something else.

• Missi says:

Ok….Let’s just brain storm just a little shall we. If you only cut the bottom 3/4 of the square cutout for the plugin then you could bend it outward and make a shelf for it to rest on top of the plugin, instead of sitting on the prongs. This would eliminate any issues others have brought up. There is usually solutions to problems if we just think and be creative!

I love this idea of cell phone charging holder!! What a creative and CUTE way to deal with this frustration! Way to go Ashley!

• Allie says:

Or, if you’re nervous about hanging up like that, stick a nail in the wall next to where you always charge your phones, and instead of cutting a square in the back, punch a hole in it with a paper punch.

I think this a FANTASTIC idea, and am going to search for some bottles as soon as I get home. I am so sick of the dang phone cords all over the place

• Anonymous says:

You could make the top edge wide enough to include a hole that you could secure the ‘basket’ to the screw that holds the wall plate to the plug. Then it wouldnt be hanging on the plug.

• Kasandra says:

Solution to your paranoia: command hook! Stick it right next to the outlet; no damage to the wall, no worries about the outlet!!

• Anonymous says:

Thanks Kendra, I was thinking Command Hook too.

• Stephanie says:

Brilliant! And the container wouldn’t be in the way if/when you didn’t have the charger plugged in.

• Dee says:

I think a self adhesive hook would be way safer than sticking a nail in the wall right beside any plug socket as you may hit the nail into the wires inside the wall,,,very dangerous and wouldn’t recommend this to anyone.

The holder is fantastic and I have already made 1 for me and several for friends and family, they also love them!

• Anitra says:

Stick a 3M hook on the wall next to the outlet and hang it.

• Jessie says:

I really don’t think it would do anything even it was touching both prongs at the same time. I have never pulled a plug out if the wall and had the prongs feel even warm to the touch ;)

• Lynn says:

What about putting electrical tape on the part that would touch…its hidden by the plug anyway. Just a thought for those concerned about the issue

• Anonymous says:

then you’ve never lived in an older(1970s) house with older aluminum-type electrical wiring. I’ve lived in one for over 20 years now & there have been many times I’ve pulled a plug & it felt warm. One of my outlets in my kitchen actually burned/melted the plate cover because the wiring inside got so hot- what alerted me to it was the smell of the smoke in the wall! We were lucky it didn’t burn our house down, some people are not so lucky! We’ve had to replace several outlets & rewire them because of this issue! I LOVE this idea, but would suggest extreme caution, especially if you live in a home built before 1980.

• AJ Drumm says:

What if you put one of those 3M hangers on the wall next to the outlet and hang the holder from it?

• Rhonda says:

You could also hange small 3M hangers in your car with this idea to hold phone or ipod in this holder!

• annie says:

exactly. my wiring is about to be redone in our 1940s home and all i could about was heat and fire.

i love this idea and i think it could be done to where it doesnt slip behind the plug and this would work really well.

• Libby says:

A house built in the 1970s is “older”? I’m gonna shoot myself. Apparently, I won’t need a nifty thing to hold my cell phone because I’ll probably drop dead any second anyway. Goodnight all you young whippersnappers!

• Anonymous says:

Hell ya, a house built in the 70′s is considered ‘older’. It is over 40 years OLD…

• Anonymous says:

Haha thats what I thought, you americans know nothing about old houses, the original part of my dads house is around 450 years old, 40 years?! Pahaha even my house is over 100 years old.

• Angela says:

If you have outlets melting or burning I would highly suggest you get your ENTIRE house re-wired. Or your toaster could blow you all up. I don’t think a cell phone charger would be the “reason” for a house fire. Its the wiring itself & sounds like a HUGE safety issue for you. Either re-wire or sell your house and move to one that is up to date electrically.

• Flower says:

Amen to this! If you’re worried about this contraption causing a fire, then you have bigger problems to worry about with your electrical system in general.

While plastic touching the prongs should pose no problem as it is non-conductive, sometimes the charger itself can heat up. I suppose there is some potential of plastic melting if in contact with a malfunctioning or overheating charger. Even then, I seriously doubt that in a house THAT IS UP TO CODE WITH WIRING that any true danger is posed.

• Deb says:

Please have your wiring checked if you have even a slight heat from your electrical plugs. There is a reason it is overheating & needs to be checked!

No reason to wait until you have a much bigger issue. Something is making that wiring HOT.

• Revolverkiller says:

People! its not going to melt PERIOD! Ever no way no how. its plastic, an insulator. completely resistant to electrical charge. no matter if its touching one or both prongs. stop being moronic worry warts and do some research before you want to start piping up about safety.

• Uh. duh. says:

The electric charge’s not the one that’s gonna cause it to melt. It’s the HEAT. o__O as for the comment about thebaby safety plugs, they don’t and won’t melt since it DOESN’T generate heat, unlike the phone charger.

o___O

• jess says:

there is also glue & fabric on there to consider. but a 3m command hook would take care of the problem

• mary masse says:

fantastic idea. I am always looking for ways to stay organized, and this is it. Thank you for the helpful tip. I love ideas that are creative and fun projects to do with my time. Sincerely Mary .

• Anonymous says:

Don’t call people that are safety conscience “morons”. Remember the “plugins” that melted? Many other consumer products that have gone through testing had issues as well. And if these bottles are made in China who knows what could be in them! I had the same thoughts and would never take chances!!!

• Revolverkiller says:

If you’re worried about it melting because of the plastic, if it was made in china or whatever, THEN DON’T MAKE IT!

I’ve gone ahead and tested this damned thing in several older houses and guess what?

NOTHING HAPPENED!

not to mention if your charger is getting hot enough that it might melt plastic, then you have a bigger problem and its the charger that is at fault. I’m calling the so called over “safety conscience” morons because thats just it, they are over thinking this, use common sense, and don’t go hanging 2 lbs of crap in it, with an over heating charger in a wall socket that is blackened with carbon and half melted because its been obviously abused and y’know what? you’ll have a great little holder that will do its job and you will have nothing to worry about.

• Kimmelbee1 says:

Are you talking about the Glade Plug Ins Scented Warmers that supposedly caused fires? If so, always check out snopes before you pass something on. I did on this one and got my butt handed to me in a pet forum, of all places. Never again! I always check snopes and I’m not afraid to use it to let people know that they’re wrong either. I think the cell phone holder is a great idea but I’m going to try it with the new patterned duct tapes that are all over the place now.

• Anonymous says:

Wow. Love the duct tape idea. They have an adorable butterfly print one. Time for me to head to Wally World :) thanks for an awesome idea :)

• minasoda says:

Very interesting comments on this really cute DIY.
                      Watch the SNOPES sight. Not all the info you get there is accurate either!!
                      Just sayin”.

• Lotska says:

Plastic isn’t a magic insulator, you moron. There are varied types of plastic with different capabilities. What exactly do you think happens when a home has an electrical fire? The plastic things just come out, virtually pristine and unscathed? Do you see people who’ve lost their homes saying, “We lost almost everything! Thank god I still have my spatula and shampoo!”

• 15.1.1.2
          AnonymousToo says:

Um… haven’t any of you ever put a child safety plug in an outlet?

• 15.1.1.3

You do know that extension cord, and light coverings are made
          From plastic right?

• 15.1.2
        Amy says:

When baby proofing my house, I bought outlet plugins that go directly into each receptical. These plastic plugs have two plastic prongs that you push into the socket. Again…. 2 plastic prongs that go directly into the plug at the same time. It then has a cap on the end to keep fingers safe. So I’m thinking a small lightweight plastic hanger on a plug isn’t a big deal or a safety issue If they sell these for child safety.

• 15.1.3
        Mary says:

Just wondering what your charger is made out of. Because mine is made out of plastic. If your charger is getting hot enough to melt plastic something is really wrong with it. On that note, your plastic charger would melt first not this hanger. I made mine out of a plastic Johnsons baby soap bottle and scrapbook paper. Never had any issues and works fantastic. If I went by your line of thinking, I would be up all night paranoid that my plastic and paper were going to get so hot they would burst into flames and kill us all in our sleep. Yes all chargers get warm, but hot enough to melt through 1/8″ heavy duty plastic? No I don’t think so….

• 15.1.3.1
          Lotska says:

Why does everyone keep talking like plastic is plastic is plastic? Toiletries are put into very different kinds of plastics to phone chargers, which are made to be heat resistant. It’s not useful to say, “oh, that didn’t melt so this won’t,” obviously. The guy up there calling everyone morons doesn’t seem to grasp this either.

That’s the reason that not all plastics are recyclable, why plastic cutlery are weak but computer cases are strong. I’m not commenting on the safety issue, I just don’t understand why people keep saying a lotion bottle wouldn’t melt because a charger wouldn’t.

What do you think baby safety plugs are?

Brooke says:

If it’s potentially dangerous because it’s plastic and will melt then why in the world did people make baby safety outlet plugs plastic???

• 15.3.1
        Tesstarosa says:

The plastic safety plugs aren’t sitting on top of metal prongs that are plugged in and actively conducting electricity. Personally, I think all this worry is for naught. There is a product being sold that works using the same principle. I wouldn’t worry about it being a hazard.

Kylir Horton says:

Please be assured that this is safe to do.

Here’s a brief explanation why:

Electrical components heat up due to the amount of electricity going through them and the resistance of the material inside of them. Plastic and rubber are excellent insulators – meaning they do not conduct electricity. This is why the metal (conducting) portion of cables are wrapped in these materials. So, because the plastic phone holder doesn’t conduct electricity, it won’t heat up, and it won’t melt.

Now the phone charger itself may get very warm, but it is highly unlikely to get hot enough to melt the plastic. In the event that it did get hot enough, the plastic casing around the charger would probably melt too. This is something that just doesn’t happen.

Finally, if you made the holder out of metal, you would probably trip a breaker switch before any real damage could occur. In this instance, the metal holder would create a short and pass the electricity directly between the two prongs on the plug.

In my opinion, there’s nothing to be worried about here.

Aikku says:

That is not dangerous, not in my culture, anyway. Although it depends on a wall plugs but hardly even in US you have anything that doesn’t match with plastic bottle.

This is absolutely brilliant idea and so wonderful tutoring.
      I need to make one for myself asap, and few more for family.
      Thank you for sharing this.
      I send hugs to you. :-)

Michelle says:

How do you figure anything will ‘melt’ the holder? Have you held your hand to the outlet while it was charging to be sure it’s overheating the phone causing a potential hazard? I have an actual holder I purchased from a phone store just for this purpose and in 8 years, nothing has happened and no ‘melting’ or potential hazards have occurred.
      Just sayin!

Lauren says:

I LOVE this. Thank you so very much for sharing! I think I need to make up a bunch of these to gift the family for Christmas, we all have iPhones and get sick of having to set them in awkward spots just to get a good charge lol. <3 it!

Danielle says:

OH, I love this idea!

What a great idea! I’m currently staring my phone on the floor near the outlet in this room. Might need to do this ASAP.

danielle says:

That is awesome!

Beth says:

It’s amazing your head doesn’t explode with all of these fabulous ideas! Love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Smiles~Beth

Emily Bucher says:

Do you need to use the REAL Mod Podge or have you ever used a homemade concoction? I love the fabric, by the way! :)

Chelsea says:

Genius!! Now I’m wondering how many lotion bottle I have that are almost empty. I’m thinking everyone in my family needs one of these.

katie s says:

100% brilliant!!! I have a lotion bottle ready to be converted!

Lisa Casey says:

You are a Genius!!!

Elizabeth says:

You are so clever. I love your site!

Audrey says:

Amazing!!! Thanks for sharing! Love it!

Belinda says:

Two words….PURE GENIUS. The end.

brookie says:

Your mind is amazing….This is the best diy idea ever…Thanks …:)

You are SO clever! I would never have thought of this! I have a couple of those bottles hanging around already. I may even make one of these as a gift. :)

lm says:

fantastic! it seems we have a device on every windowledge in my house…

Cortney says:

AMAZING! You seriously are a crafting genius. LOVE this idea!

Krista Hansen says:

Seriously brilliant!!! I will be saving those baby lotion/wash bottles. Great idea!

Dink says:

Am looking forward to making this :) Thanks for sharing!
    Happy Holidays to you.

Maridith says:

Unbelievably smart. Wow!! Apple should hirer you to make phone holders for them. Great idea and thanks for the inspiration!!

Found this on Pinterest, and I can’t wait to make one! This is absolutely genius…one of those things that you need to run out and brand! I think I’ll make a camo one for my husband too!

Ashlee says:

Love this! I plan on making this for the hubby ASAP!

Erin M. says:

You are so creative. This is a great idea. I hate cords and dangely phones.

euniceq says:

I’m amazed! U are so good. Must try this one. Thanks for the tutorial.

Marci says:

I need to start using up more lotion! I don’t have a sewing machine, so projects like these are ideal for me so I don’t have to bug a friend to borrow theirs! Also, I know about 6 family members who probably need these as well for Christmas; I may just start dumping out lotion/shampoo to be able to make these soon!

You. Are. A genius.

I saw the title on my blog list and thought “how could that possibly not be ugly?” (Forgive my lapse in loyalty. :( ;)) I am so impressed, as usual, and now I have another DIY item added to my Christmas list for the hubby! AND I still need to make stuff for a baby shower Saturday. AUGH! Okay, I need to go craft now. Thanks for another great, cheap idea!

Paige says:

I was thinking to make one for my son’s Nintendo DS….probably work out okay! :)

Rose Lauing says:

This is awesome! And now I’m thinking of other types of things that could use a little holder! These would be great for small tools, etc. if I hang them on the peg board in my craft room! Great tutorial – THANKS!!

Rose L. says:

OH! and if you make the back part (the “neck”) a little longer, you could wrap the extra cord around it so it isn’t hanging down :~D

Katarinka says:

Гениально !!!!!!! Я восхищаюсь твоими изделиями !
    Катя из Сибири

Kim says:

Love it, love it, love it!! Thanks again for an amazingly simple, ingenious idea :)

MaryAnn says:

Seriously brilliant. I’m not super crafty but I can definitely make this one.

Nicki says:

This is cool! I need to file this away in my brain for future use. We’re in an old apartment right now, with about one outlet to each room, so we have power strips behind all our furniture…. but when we’re actually in a nice place, this idea is being put to use!

texmex says:

I can not tell you how much I like this trick, it is simply genius. I had seen something similar in fabric but yours combines recycling and fabrics and elegance, the top. I relay your idea on my blog this morning.

Silvana says:

Wuaw wuaw wuaw!..incleible ideas, me encata!!..

Carol says:

Brilliant! Do these ideas keep you up at night? Very talented. P.S. Looking forward to Denver dates.

Simple and genius!! Pinning, tweeting, and stumbling this idea right now. Love, love, love it!

Lisa says:

This is GENIUS!! I found you on pinterest! I have so many of these from the kids that I haven’t thrown out so I will definitely be busting at least 2 of these out! Maybe even add a vinyl monogram…”D” for dad & “M” for mom maybe? Hmmmm…thanks again for the awesome idea!!!!

I love this idea! It looks great and I love that it involves recycling! Thanks!

Jenny Fugler says:

Cute idea. Have you seen this one from pinterest?? http://pinterest.com/pin/140878294563326094/

Tricia says:

Love it! Love it! Love it!

I like how the rounded square mimics the iPhone charger! Btw, love your blog and clever ideas!

Dianne says:

Probably smells nice like lotion too! What a great upcycle. Repinned on Pintrest. Love your creativity. Will be a new follower.

One word – Genius! Well actually two – Stylish Genius!!!

I am going to link to this on my DIY page on my blog.

Taylor says:

I swear your creativity knows no bounds! It’s insane how good you are!

Lindsay says:

If you were standing next to me I would jump up and down yelling…..THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!! I am making this today thanks for sharing. The fabric is totally cute! you are very creative and smart I have been looking for some cute way to hide cell cords, this is prefect! :)
    Lindsay

shaheen says:

I was just about to throw the empty lotion bottle , now iam holding it for such a wonderful project . All Thanks to you .

bobbie says:

I am sitting in the office looking around at everyone’s desks for lotion bottles…..Hmmmm! I am so LOVING this! gotta go find a bottle now!

Mindy says:

so innovative, thrifty and cute! I think this could be adapted to hold children’s things (crayons, etc) too! pinning!

Emily P says:

Um… wow! I TOTALLY have to make this. You’re genius!!

Diana says:

Brilliant! So much so that I just dug through my recycling for the bottle I emptied last night. Thanks for the tutorial. I would have never thought to use fabric and modge podge.

Lindsay says:

This is such a great idea. I featured it on my Friday Finds post on my blog.

Now I need to go fish out the baby soap bottle from the trash can…

Gena says:

what a neat idea–can’t wait to try to make one. you are so clever!!

GENIUS!!!! Just-love-it. This would be a great Christmas gift too! Everyone I know has iphones .)

Hovawart says:

Awesome! I’m going to make one of these for my husband, who travels, and modpodge stable fabric printed with his name, address, and email addy on the back, in case he forgets his charger anywhere.

SeiCreativ says:

I found this genius too! I like it!!!

Adribel says:

Amazing! Good idea!

Holly says:

This is grrrreat! I love this idea! You are ever so clever Ashley!

Valerie Nelson says:

Pretty much amazing! :) thanks!

Kelly R. says:

This is so perfect!! No more cell phones etc all over the kitchen counter!!! Such a great tutorial, thanks so much

Miranda Taylor says:

Wow!!!!! You are a freakin’ genius!!!!! If I could only find an empty lotion bottle. I may have to dump some out ;). I’m so sick of not having a place for my hubby’s phone. This is the best idea EVER!!!

Kristin says:

Oh. Ehm. GENIUS. Seriously.

My jaw hurts from dropping so hard! :)

Christine says:

that is pretty genius. Always wonder what could be done with all those plastic bottles in our house. Great solution and just a great jumping off board for other ideas.

Shiree says:

Amazing. Amazing. Amazing. Making this. Then loving it.

Jessica S says:

This is genious! The charging cords around the house drive hubby crazy. This is a great solution!

janna says:

I had to pin this to Pinterest!

Carol says:

Love this idea! You are so very clever. Thanks for sharing the idea and the how-to!

Alice says:

I am making one for every cell phone using person in my family. Thanks so much for the tutorial and sharing your great talent with us.

Jodi says:

Brilliant as usual. Love ya.

April says:

This is a great idea! It looked so easy I dove right in and made one of my own. Even my husband (who is so anti crafty) liked it. Thanks again for sharing.

You are a genius. I have been looking at those same cell holders forever but never got one. This is amazing! I am SO doing this!!!

Melissa says:

Oh wow, I’d love to try this!! Love the idea of using fabric as the covering

Jamie says:

I just wanted to let you know that I love your project and I featured it today at “You Sew Rock Me Fridays” on my blog. You can see it here: http://www.sewrockin.com/2011/12/02/you-sew-rock-me-fridays-7/

Awesome job, I can’t wait to see what else you come up with!

Jamie @ sewrockin.com

Nandini says:

Wow! Admire your creativity!

Tarey Azbell says:

Whoever thought of this is a genius!! I plan to make several of them for throughout my house. I love the idea! Kudos to you for making this blog and making it look so easy! Love it!!

**Idea for these when not in use…hang them on the outlet with baby safety electric plugs. They will hold the basket still if your charger is being used in one of these in another room. =)

Tarey Azbell says:

For all of those who aren’t sure if they have an empty lotion bottle…try a shampoo bottle..ketchup bottle…or even a half gallon milk jug could be used. =)

will you marry me?

dawn says:

If you have safety concerns about hanging it off the outlet, you could just hang the bottle/holder thingy on a hook next to the outlet – like one of those 3m removable hooks or a cup hook or other decorative doojobby. This would also let you unplug the cord when not in use.

Great idea!

Angie says:

You could also just attach it with the bottom screw on the plate cover. Make just a small hole, small enough for the screw to fit in, then it hangs below the receptacle.

louise says:

I do have that one that linked to and it actually does work. But I like this so much better, especially having a little one around that could bang right into it and knock it off!! Thanks for sharing!

a says:

This is a brilliant idea! Just shared a link on my Facebook page :)

Paula says:

I love this. I will be making these for gifts for sure!

Maria Trader says:

genius. thank you!

Robbon says:

Can I just say that this is ONE AWESOME IDEA! This is by far one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time! How amazing! I can’t wait to try to make one. Then I’m going to need to make one for um…let’s see…..the hairdryer, the curling iron, the laptop…… LOL

Really amazing ! I just happened to make a stand for my broadband modem inspired by a mobile phone charger holder. And then I stumbled upon this in Pintrest… Stunned by your creativeness ! Couldn’t help but link back to your post !!!

kyle says:

absolutely brilliant. Do you mind if I post it on my blog?

Brilliant! I found this on Pinterest.

Roshanda says:

Oh my crafty goodness!!! This is so neat, yep this is someones christmas gift. Thank you!!!!

Beth says:

That is AWESOME. Also great for a gift idea!! Thanks!

Shelly says:

Oh My Gosh!!!! I need to make 3 of these for Christmas!!! I need to spread the word…. gonna have to post this on my blog. Not even gonna take the time to create my own version. I am supposed to go to sleep now… how am I going to with this really fun idea in my head? Ha, ha!!!

Melanie says:

If you’re truly worried about the plastic melting, just hang it from a command adhesive hook beside or under the outlet.
    A great idea!

Sara says:

This is such a cute idea! Great way to go green. I’m a big lover of mod-podge too!

Amy says:

This is genius!

Mandy says:

I love it! Great Idea!

Laura says:

I bought a set of the platform types from my daughter’s school fundraiser and they don’t work very well at all! So I am totally making one of these! I have a question though…do you have a problem with it feeling tacky? I can never make my modge podge not tacky?

Melissa says:

I shared this at http://thestoragegeek.com (With full credit and link back of course) and people loved it. Over 4K notes (Meaning likes, reblogs and comments.) Way to create something amazing from something destined for the recycling bin.

Jessica says:

Love this idea – how creative! Sometimes I feel like I don’t have a creative bone in my body when I come across people who come up with ideas like this. Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Darcie says:

Perfect. I’m doing this. I’m tired of having to pick up all the cords to vacuum in our bedroom without sucking up a cord into the vacuum. Thanks!

Patricia says:

This is a Great Idea! And I can think it would be good for other things too!!!

Maddie C says:

I don’t care…I will empty a bottle right now!

Jenny B says:

Ashley, I’m continually amazed at your creativity! I gotta find some empty bottles so I can make some just in time Christmas gifts (after I make one for myself!). Thanks for posting!

bobbie says:

I saw this post the other day and looked around the office for bottles but didnt find any- so when I got home I searched, and didnt see anything promising and Sunday morning I checked the lotion bottles in the nursery at church- too big but Sunday afternoon I found a Mr Clean Bottle that was close so I used it- I think the plastic on a lotion bottle would be better but I am pretty happy with the one I made- you can see on my blog ( i dont know how to add a picture here or add my link- Ashley HELP!!!! :)

bobbie says:

well if my camera was working -you could see it on my blog. you can see the Mr CLean bottle and some gray pix but my camera is malfunctioning – the pictures look great on the camera and as thumbnails but try to upload them and you get a beautiful grey (or gray) blob Grrr Snarl Spit :O)

Luciana says:

Que ótima idéia, parabéns!!!

Myla says:

I just made this right now for my Blackberry and I love it! I’m not very good at crafts but thanks to your very clear instructions and pictures, even I could do it. Because the BB charger is so large, I used hook next to the outlet to hang it (as someone suggested to someone else) while phone charges. Brilliant idea and thank you so much for sharing!

Deb Williams says:

I am gonna make one of these for my car….I never have a place to lay my phone & I can hook it on the cigarette lighter!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynn says:

You are really thinking out of the box. This looks smart and so functional. Thanks for sharing.

Heather says:

I love it! I have a post out for everyone to save their empty bottles! I can’t wait to make one for mine :)

carl says:

can i just use a regular Elmer’s glue instead of the recommended one? I don’t think it’s available in our country..Thanks! :)

Kelli says:

I don’t sew, so I don’t have any good fabric scraps around … but I do scrapbook. Perhaps I could cover one with pretty paper and seal it with Modge Podge? Anyone think that could work?

LeAnn says:

That’s what I was thinking. Use some type of paper to cover it.

Jan says:

Walmart has “fat quarters” of fabric for 97 cents. THey are 18×24 inches and have lots of stinkin cute prints. they are folded in little rectangles and are in teh aisle with the buttons. Great option for non sewers!

Trang says:

Genial!! Danke für die schöne Anleitung!

Lizz says:

Thanks so much! I work at a store that sells these, and have been intrigued! In theory, such a great idea, but I didn’t feel like spending money. WOO thank you!

Danelle says:

Holder for cell phone made from lotion bottle.
    GENIUS GENIUS GENIUS!

I love this idea and will be making these for my friends and family for presents!! I have lots of random fabric that I have left over from projects that I have done from my custom made babies and kids clothing line. AWESOME!!!

Shannon says:

Brilliant! I’m going to make one for every phone in the house!

Maristela says:

Hey Ashley, I’m brazilian and a handcrafting lover!! I came to your blog through the link of the holder for charging mobiles made from lotion bottle that I found in Tumblr and I loved all the things I had found here. It amazes and inspires me… I love things we can reuse instead of recycling. And it fits perfectly to everyone’s needs.
    Congrats for your nice job in this website. I not just only turned it into my favourites as it is now, the first page that opens in my Google Chrome.
    Tks for doing such a pretty blog that we can enjoy. I hope you keep doing and wish you success with it. :)

Pandoraarte says:

SUPERRRRR GOOD İDEA.

Denise says:

This is the coolest idea ever!!! Who knew a lotion bottle could be that handy? Evidently you Ashley lol I’m so going to try this out! Thanks :)

Yvette says:

Love this idea (but hate baby lotion)…so I’m now keeping my eye open for similar bottles ….I have four young adult kids and they have tons of chargers (as do I) so I think this is a great idea and would be appreciated.

Cristy says:

Just found a photo on pinterest… BRILLIANT!!! As a mom of 3 I definitely have plenty of baby soap bottles lying around! I have a friend who I need to make a Christmas gift for, and this will be GREAT for her to keep in her office. Thank you!

heather says:

I love the idea! I did it but it is not working as well as I had hoped, partially because the electrical outlet does not run horizontally like yours but instead is vertical. So, plug is sliding out with the weight of the container. Did anyone else have this problem and find a solution cause I can’t stand the cords on the counter.

april says:

i want to make these for all my i-phone-loving friends! thanks!

Kala says:

I made something similar and poked a hole to have the switch plate screw to go through and connect it to the all instead of hanging it by the charger. I have an ipod and that charger is huge so it was the only way to make it work without having it hang from the prongs. I like it that way so I can unplug the charger when not in use and it stays where I want it! Great idea- thank you!

a'lamode says:

I shared your awesomeness on my blog today! FAB job!!!! xo Shelli

avital says:

This is so cute, and I got very excited about it and then showed it to my husband, who is an electrician, and he told me I’m not allowed to do it. He said that if our plugs were mounted horizontally as the plug in the tutorial picture it would be okay, because the weight wouldn’t be able to pull the plug out from the wall at all, but if it the plug was mounted vertically, as most plugs are, the weight of the holder and phone could pull the plug away from the wall a bit and the holder could slip back and rest on the prongs of the plug and the plastic could melt or catch on fire. Which would be bad. However, after I whined that it was SOOOOO cute and would stop my complaints about messy bedside table and wanting to throw his phone out the window, he conceded that some strong double sided tape to keep it firmly mounted on the socket, it might be okay. I told him if he’s such a hotshot electrician he should just turn my plug horizontally to solve the problem, but that’s unlikely to happen! (doctor’s wives die young, shoemakers children go barefoot and electrician’s wives can’t get lightbulbs changed, let alone sockets moved!)

LeAnn says:

all you would have to do is hang the holder on a command hook beside or right under the outlet, then there would be no extra weight on the outlet. I was thinking the weight would be bad for an outlet to so I figured i would just hang it to the side or under the outlet if I make one. I plan on looping the excess cord on the hook so I don’t have to worry about any weight weighing the plug down. My father was an electrician..

Tori says:

Love This! I’m making one a little bit larger to hold my daughters walkie talkies as they charge. Soon as a lotion bottle is empty I’ll make one for my cell phone.

nicci says:

This is brilliant, with four phones charging in our house I think I will color coordinate them!

Julia says:

I did this with newspaper instead of fabric and it looks SO good! What a great fun project :)

Sofia says:

GENIUS!

I liked it and I will try make one!

doro K. says:

very great and green idea! i love it!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

Jem says:

So smart! Thanks for the tutorial!

Milagro says:

You are amaizing! i love it!

linda says:

I made this, but ran out of mod podge, so I used leftover contact paper.

Peggy says:

I saw this on Pinterest. What a GREAT idea!

bean yuliant says:

u are briliant…
    thank’s alot miss

Fantastic idea. Can’t wait to try it, just waiting until I finish my bottle of lotion! Found you via “One Pretty Thing” and very pleased to have done so.

Aretusa says:

Hi Ashey! I’m Aretusa fron the blog “Petit Pooh Mon Amour”.
    I loved your idea and made a post about it on my blog.
    Here is the link “http://petitepoohmonamour.blogspot.com/2012/01/rientro-e-idee-creative.html”
    I hope you’ll enjoy it, if not, write me back a comment and I will immediatly delete it.
    Kisses from Italy
    Hugs!

Making one of these pronto!! This is amazing, I’m constantly plugging my phone in.. Now having a little 6 month rolling around, this would be perfect

What a brilliant idea. I’m going to have to make one as soon as the bottle of lotion in my son’s bathroom is empty… I think I will find some fabric that matches the kitchen since that is where my phone usually ends up on a charger.

BeautifulDestruction says:

Thank you for sharing this project. Since several people shared concerns about the hang factor, I’m thinking of just sticking mine directly onto the outlet plate with some double stick tape. Thanks again and happy new year!!

Sandy says:

Brilliant! I’ve printed out the instructions and will start on it tonight! We always have phones all over benches and on floors (in the kids rooms) which are just asking to be stepped on or water poured on accidentally! Thanks! You should have patent your idea! :)

SewTara says:

Wow, easy peasy.
    And useful and pretty too. Love it!

Jennifer says:

Whos the genius that thought this up? It makes me want to go buy an Iphone!!!!!!

jane mcardle says:

i do this some thing with empty 2 liter soda bottles but i hang them on the bedroom door knobs for the things boys leave in there pockets when i do laundry..with 4 of them i have a lot of treasures in the laundry

Adoreiiiiiii a dica :)
    Gostaria de saber ser vc pode me enviar um convite para o pinterest???
    Bjo

Robyn S. says:

I went to a Pinterest party last night and made 4 of these. Thanks for sharing your great idea!

Hollybobbs says:

Wha a fantastic idea! Wish I was this original!

Heidi says:

Love, love, love it. Just made one out of a turquoise antacid bottle. (Hope no one notices I dumped that maalox into another flavored maalox bottle – different flavors. I am ruthless and dangerous when crafting.) I think the turqoise bottle is pretty enough on it’t own. Also, I put a hole in the side to put all the extra wire through,

Brittany says:

This idea is GREAT!! Why can’t I be more creative?? **sigh** oh wells lol I’ll def be trying this!!

Jrain says:

Omg I love this

Virginia says:

I love projects like this; useful, creative, and uses recycled items. awesome

Kris says:

This is soo cool!!! Definitely have to try to make one!

Mare says:

This is an amazing idea… only issue I don’t have a empty lotion bottle… Can some send one to me? LOL
    I will have to make this for my daughter she has cords, phones, and iTouch all laying on the floor.

Jessa says:

What a great idea! I found you on pintrest, tried it, loved, it and blogged about it! I also made one for my baby monitor. Thanks so much for the idea!

This is such a smart idea, I think I might have to make a set of them! :)

Trish says:

I think this idea is not only BRILLIANT but CUTE!!! I would never hang anything on the prongs anyway, so of course the only solution would be to hang it next to it with a 3M hook….not rocket science after all…..I don’t have small children, so I will need to ask around at work for a lotion bottle. I love the “smell” of baby lotion, so that will be a nice lingering smell for a little while anyway!!

Thank you Ashley for the great idea!!

eros says:

Fantastico!!!!!!

Natasha says:

I used the Garnier Fructis shampoo bottle. I love the green color.

Leesa says:

What about using a command adhesive hook next to the outlet to hang it on…..? Just a thought

Going to the dollar store to find bottles of lotion and shampoo asap! Can anyone use some ‘zip-lock’ bags of lotion or shampoo? LOL!

ashley says:

genious!

Wow – what a creative awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing. I’m off to find a handy plastic bottle and some fabric or paint ….

Marion says:

Brilliant!!! Thanx from Amsterdam (The Netherlands)

silvia says:

this is so cool, def making it!! thank you:)

Kim says:

LOVE IT – that is a genius idea. I’m going to be lathering my baby up like crazy so I can use up all of the lotion :).

Amy says:

Brilliant!!

Blezka says:

I’ve just done one with a hair gel bottle and it fits my blackberry charger and phone, no more stepping into the cable while charging it , thanks!! :3

Erin Sears says:

I love this! I’m going to make one of these today!! Wonderful Idea!!

johannah says:

I added this in blog after finding this on Pinterest http://jolynnshobbyshop.blogspot.com/2012/02/tuesday-likes.html

Love this idea thank you!

Sammi says:

This is such a great idea! I’m definitely going to try it. I might mix it up and use an old t-shirt that has I pattern that I like so I can reuse my t-shirts without throwing them away. Awesome idea. I’m going to get on it ASAP

Shelly Feltman says:

I know what I am making for everyone at work for their Birthday!!!!

Sue says:

I made one from a milk carton. Not so stylish but does the job and quite discrete.

Becky says:

Found this on PInterest and I LOVE it!!!!! Can’t wait to make some, so very useful!!

Lana says:

Thanks!! Your tutorial is great! I can’t wait to make one!!

spinndiva says:

BRILLIANT!!!!!

Katie says:

This is a very creative idea. Awesome job! :)

~Katie

you are so crafty, i would neve thought that. thanks for sharing.

Christina says:

I loooovvvveeee this!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to make this. This will solve the pain in the butt ways I have to charge my stuff. Thank-You! ~Christina

Haley says:

Absolutely wonderful idea! Now just have to find a bottle!

Paula Gale says:

this is a fantastic idea… for those worried about it melting etc, I doubt it would be there long enough to heat to the melting point. There are always ways round this ‘problem’ – think about it rather than dissing a great idea – that is so rude.

I think its a genius idea and can’t wait to make one… only this evening I had a problem with my husbands phone dangling from the bedroom socket – it ended up on the floor of course…

Thanks for sharing.

Paula x

HOW do you get the mod pod off the front of the Fabric.

Love it! I stumbled upon this and the tutorial is great.

Nicole says:

GENIUS!!!!! THANK YOU for the step by step instructions… I am definitely beginning this project today!!!!

nayana says:

what an idea!……..i’ll definitely try it out…

Lucidfury says:

omg….totally worked lol Awsome idea, I used my empty bottle of Dove soap & the labels peel right off :)

Wordsmith says:

This is pretty cool.. I’m gonna try it one of these days. thanks for the idea!

Hey Ashley! Thanks for the great tutorial. I made this yesterday and posted about it today – so you are in my post http://somewhatquirkydesign.blogspot.com/2012/03/pinterest-schminterest-im-bad.html (is it possible to put live links in a comment?)

Katie says:

Oh my gosh! This is the coolest idea ever! I can’t wait to make one (or two) and a few as gifties! Thank you so much for sharing!

Awesome idea……gonna try making one

Theresa says:

What a creative idea. I have four 16-month old babies…so I have lotion bottles. This would be a great solution to the phone getting knocked off the counter. Thank you for sharing.

: 0 ) Theresa

Calli Bradley says:

Congratulations on getting your wonderful idea featured in the April 2012 MAKING magazine. http://www.makingmagazine.com/.

Love your ideas.
    Calli

marie says:

This is so genius! I love coming up with ideas like this – and using what I have on hand. I’m gonna do this and post it to my blog and give you the credit of course.

Just such a great idea and what a great job on the tutorial as well.

alyssa says:

not gonna make this, but your directions are very thorough, i appreciate that (; good work!

Anna says:

Can we see the model that you use for the step by step?
    How well was that?

This is the coolest thing I have seen all day! I love it! I’m almost done my lotion, must remember to keep the bottle :)

Kay says:

I have seen this on Pinterest several times and decided to feature it in a Hub I published! I gave you full credit, and you can view it here….

CindysIdeas says:

Love this project and what a wonderful way to recycle a lotion bottle. I must try this soon.

8Bit says:

The weight of the phone will actually bend the plug, damaging the structural integrity of said plug. Which will do 2 things.

Damage the outlet.
    The damaged plug is now a fire hazard.. and a popped spark into that plastic holder.. well you get the point.

Great idea. But very dangerous. Just an fyi.

Osnat Fuchs says:

brilliant! Love your idea
    Osnat

Becky Conley says:

what a lovely project! I too have been plagued with this problem and your project inspired me to just sew a little pouch to hang on a nearby coat rack in our home. I blogged about it and linked back to your post. As a professional artists and Craft Designer, I like to give the credit where due when someone else inspires me. The post will be live tomorrow if you’d like to view it: http://www.beckyconley.blogspot.com THANK YOU!

Awesome idea! I love it when you can upcycle things instead of adding to the landfills..Great pattern you put on it..Very cool looking too.

Nadia says:

I’m so going to do this :)

Vickie Cook says:

Great idea! You should look at patterning. Walmart is also looking for new green innovative ideas and inventions. Here is the link for more info. http://inventorspot.com/articles/call_inventors_walmarts_innovative_green_product_search_28466

I would difinately buy one of these!

Vickie

Vickie Cook says:

Sorry last link was older. Her is newer one with Gideon on yahoo news. http://news.yahoo.com/video/business-15749628/wal-mart-starts-inventors-contest-28836684.html

Have a great day!

Vickie

Serena says:

OMG! This is SO freakin’ cute! =D Amazing idea! =DDD

Carrie says:

Such a FABULOUS idea! I loved it so much that you were featured on our blog!
    We would love for you to check it out

We just launched this site on April 1st and are trying to build up our reader base. Feel free to drop by and add a button to you website.

Thanks again for the great tutorial!

Carrie

Jen says:

GENIUS….now I have to use a TON of lotion on the kiddos tonight so I can steal the bottle – LOVE THIS….THANKS! :)

Barbara says:

Brilliant! I found this on Pinterest. Made it and love it. Greetings from Germany!

Ampi says:

I love it! I have had all sorts of charger organizers and have been frustrated at how much room they take up. This is a perfect solution…and it’s free (if you already have a bottle).

Thanks for sharing.

This is AMAZING! I need to make about 4 of these. One for me, my husband, and my teenage daughters…and heck, maybe an extra large ketchup one will hold my kindle! Thanks so much for sharing!

So cool! I really had to repost this on my website! Here’s the link:
    Thanks for sharing! Cheers!
    Marie-Eve

Heather Husted says:

I LOVE this idea and just made one. I’m not sure how I want to decorate it yet, but I’ve been looking for something to get our phones off the counter when they are charging and this is perfect! Not only because it fits any size phone and looks great, but it’s FREE and re-uses something that would otherwise be recycled or thrown away! Thanks so much and keep the great ideas coming :)

Ginger says:

Wow what a great idea…love it…

Laila says:

Loved this project and how it is such an easy idea of how to recycle a lotion bottle. I am definitely going to make this!!
    Kudos on having such a great inspirational page!!

susan lopez says:

Excellent idea, you should Pantent it if you can..Kudos to you

9eef says:

فكره رائعه جدااا

Lilli says:

Wow, great thought you came up with! I work in a recycling project and this was a good idea for us.
    Regards from Greece (originally Germany) !!=)

Tres cool! I love the fabric that you have chosen – and how brilliant is it that you have just repurposed what you already have in the house. Love it!

I made it but i didnt have mod podge so i used wrapping paper instead of fabric. worked great! you can see some tape, but only in the back so it looks amazing! thanks!

Love this idea. Truly creative. I am excited to try this b/c they never make cell phone plugs long enough and my son is always stepping on my phone when it’s on the floor.

Micha says:

I FINALLY did this! Mine didn’t turn out as pretty as yours, but I like it. I would have done it sooner, but I didn’t know I could make my modge podge to do it with! I love it!!!! I had to use a baby Shampoo all in one container becaue my iPhone has an otter box on it.

Moira says:

I even love this idea to organize my crafts. Make a whole set and hang on a peg board for smaller items. Love it!

Stephanie says:

You have got to be kidding me. This idea could be put on the market. Thank you for such a wonderful idea. I would like to pick your brain one day and learn how you have come up with this idea. And you are saving the environment. I am amazed.

Rachel says:

My husband and I just made these they came out really good. Thanks it gave us some qt and there adorable

Lily says:

This is an amazing idea! I absolutely love it! By the way, most iPhones really don’t get that hot while charging. Unless they’re old, or broken. But even if they do, you could always use an insulated case.

Brilliant! I must do this!!!!

GiGi says:

I just wanted to say thank you for the awesome tutorial! This is such a great idea! I made one too and referenced back here. Here is the link if you would like to see.

Aja` says:

Wow! That is so cool. I have tons of fat quarters that i could use for this project. I did not realize that was fabric until you took a close up picture. I worry about leaving my phone on the floor due to sanitary reasons. This will dissolve my fears ^_^. I too worry about me or others tripping over the phone charger cord.

Brit says:

Maybe I’m weak, but I was not able to cut through the bottle. It was very difficult. I tried kitchen scissors AND an exacto knife.

Steffie says:

Thank you for this inspiration!
    This is my version: http://steffieshexenhaus.blogspot.de/2012/05/handy-lade-tasche.html
    Best wishes from Germany!
    Steffie

receipemum says:

Awesome Idea! I love to recycle things. This is a great one. Gonna try it tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Paris says:

That’s great

Dorothy-Clare says:

I’m going to try this with a dish detergent botttle and since I don’t have fabric but I do have many beautiful pictures of food, I am going to Modpodge the pictures on the bottle. I amalso going to cut a smaller hanger hole since my plug is small. I will hang it on one of the 3M removable hook. It’ll be great!

deepa B pokharia says:

oh !!! really nice . Thanku I was searching for this.

Arin says:

What a nice idea! I have the exact same lotion, and it is about to finish. I will definitely try this out using spray paint instead of fabric. Thanks for sharing!

Judy says:

What a brilliant idea!

Claudia says:

hi,
    we actually have such a kikkerland charging holder and its quite good. my husband uses it and i love your idea and already got the bottle i will use for my holder…

great idea!!!!!!!!
    thank you!

KANGA says:

excellent ,i’ll make some in the morning.many thanks

musings says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful idea! It’s exactly what I need!

Lorrie says:

So clever! I love ideas like this! thanks for sharing!!!

Lisa Ladrido says:

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing! Just shared out too! Lisa

WOW! You have our attention!

Vedette says:

Amazing. I actually made those to put in my keys and pens aswell. Thank you for this diy.

Soumya says:

Thanks a ton.
    We made these Lotion bottle phone charger holders in our class for Fathersday. Decorated with Paper mache.
    Kids enjoyed making them & Dads loved it too.

Kendra says:

Oh my gosh! This is a GREAT tutorial!
    I just used this tutorial to make one for my Droid & it’s awesome!!!
    Obviously it didn’t turn out as good as yours but pretty darn close…
    Thanks for sharing…. SUCH a GREAT idea!

Gina says:

This is genius. Ridiculous. Fabulous!

Tracy says:

Hi there,

I am writing to see if you would consider listing this (Which we think is great!) on our new open design reuse portal.

We are a new organisation based in the UK called Co-oproduct, who are passionate about packaging reuse. We have just launched an Open Design, Make-It-Yourself (MIY) web portal at : http://www.co-oproduct.org.

We love this product which is made from plastic bottles, and think that it is one of very few exemplary examples of creative reuse which is well refined which has a very clear set of instructions. We also see that you appear to be very open on how this product is made, and have already published and shared this idea on your site. We encourage anyone submitting their work to provide links to there own websites and work and hope that having a listing on our site will help promote you and your work more.

If you are ok with this I am more than happy to put this product on our site for you if you give me the OK, and obviously credit the idea to you under your name/details.

We hope to hear from you soon regarding this.

Thanks alot

Lucas says:

i loved it! good idea!

Cheryl says:

Genius idea!

What a great concept! I love the fabric that you’ve chosen.

Monique says:

Definitely going to use this for a few other things besides my phone. Thank you so much for this great idea :)

Elyna says:

i love it. brilliant idea. easy to make and still looks fantastic.

very cool beans idea, thanks

Susan says:

Love the combination of repurposing AND crafting. I adapted the idea a little to come up with a key holder. You can see my adaptation at http://organized31.blogspot.com/2012/08/repurposed-plastic-bottle-into-key.html. Thanks for the inspiration!

Shira says:

I made it ! It turned out so cute :)
    First time i actually made a DIY i saw on the internet :P
    I just loved the idea and I had to do this !
    here’s a picture of mine – http://up351.siz.co.il/up3/jrqzygox5kml.jpg
    Great guide and idea thank you :)

Kelsey says:

Awesome idea! I have a loft bed so I modified it a bit to make a hanging version where the charger is strung up through the bottom : ) The directions were super easy to follow. Thanks!

Anne says:

This is so cute!

patti steward says:

Cute as can be! Thank you for sharing!

Katy says:

I haven’t finished this yet and I think it’s awesome and everything but I don’t necessarily think an exactoknife needs to be used because of safety reason because the only it got me yesterday was a trip to the ER, 6 stitches, a shot in the butt, and a tetanus shot. Maybe scissor can be used for it all? I mean I’m just looking out for others you know. Don’t want anyone else to get cut like I did. I am still going to finish it but I will never use an exactoknife ever again. Lol.

Linsey says:

amazing!!!! thank you!!!! just made mine and already love that my phone isn’t filled with water since I always charge it by the sink! ha ha! THANK YOU!

Jersey says:

Very cool idea, will be my next project… :-)

depro says:

This is a great idea! I’m making one to hold my glasses, too (will pin it to the corkboard next to the wall so it doesn’t “migrate”). Maybe another one to tuck those extra long cords into, and….this is simple and awesome!

ann says:

Hi,
    in the last step you covered all of the fabric in that glue-like substance (not sure it’s sold here in Australia)… and then – it looks like you left it on? Did you forget the last step where you wash it off? The fabric looks dirty with the stuff on… and your original orange fabric container does not seem to have any of the Podge stuff on it… What am I missing?

Wanda says:

was able to clue with elmers clear clue. it came out great.

claudine says:

can i make this with the use of glue? thanks! i need your answer quickly. God bless!

jrachelle says:

Not a quick answer but yes, white glue, like Elmers, will work. Water it down a little so it’s not so thick and it takes a long time to dry. But it will dry.

LOOOOVE this project! So creative and pretty – looks like something you’d pay lots of money for! Just wanted to let you know I featured you in my roundup of plastic bottle crafts here. Feel free to check it out if you want and hope you like it! : )

-Mel the Crafty Scientist

mmmm says:

I showed this to my mom. And she asked where can we buy that?? Then we saw your pattern on how to make it.
    And now will buy 3 bottles of Johnson! and make our own too! Thanks to your invention! Clever idea! :D

Lizzie says:

this is brill i will be doing a few of these for the family

Lea says:

well done :D my scissors broke

gebrichi says:

Great idea and so simple. I’m posting this on my blog with a link back to you.

Jhoana says:

Hola, me gustaría saber que pegamento usaron para pegar la tela en el reciclaje? soy de colombia

Never Nola says:

Thanks for the inspiration! We are a company who makes headbands but in the mean time we love to blog about the things we come across and love!! This will be up on our site tomorrow for all of our readers to see if you want to check it out!!

chelsea says:

This is realy great! i never expected it to be a lotion bottle either. too cute. thanks!!!

Katelyn says:

I made one of these out of an old shampoo bottle to hold my laptop charger because I didn’t like it laying on the floor. I love it! Best idea ever!

Brooke says:

What does it hang on? How does it stay up there?

Sayantani Das says:

Made it!! Loving it!! Going to make many more for friends!! Why didn’t i keep the old bottles?? You are too good!!

jrachelle says:

BRILLIANT IDEA! GREAT CRAFTING! and EXCELLENT TUTORIAL! but PLEASE PLEASE also take her advice, put a hook next to the outlet to hang your new phone holder. It is definitely NOT WORTH THE RISK to hang it on the outlet. Just fore-go finding out if it’s dangerous or not. Better things in life to do.

Loved it! I have taken the liberty of posting this on Facebook – http://www.facebook.com/thelittlegreenpage – an online community to spread eco-awareness. Trust this is fine with you. Thanks, Pravin Amudan.

chrishtina says:

awesome

GABBS ONYEJIAKA says:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT :-) WOOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosalind says:

I love this!!!! Solves SOOO many problems (;

Herbs or fragrances are then blended into the soaking resolution, each to make the skin softer and to loosen
    up the foot muscular tissues.
    This fast can also be presently intensely discounted which tends to make this
    a fantastic time to get this outstanding piece.

Ki says:

Love the idea of using the COMMAND brand named hooks to wall mount this genius idea. Maybe using strong adhesive vinyl, contact or book covering rolls would help waterproof and easy to clean concern. JUST A THOUGHT!!!!! :)

Jack says:

Hi..
    Thank you for making the only actual tutorial that I’ve been able to find. Other ‘tutorials’ haven’a actually explained how to do things, but you did so, very clearly…
    Thanks..

Roxanne says:

Side Note: People in general, meaning, average people, really don’t understand anything. MOST people. MOST. These types of people will always worry and not believe basic things, even after they have been explained. The plastic won’t melt. The others that have talked about baby safety plugs are right. They get plugged into the supposedly “dangerous” outlet. The weight is no issue either, as other chargers that are huge black blocks that get plugged into outlets are way heavier than an iPhone.

I digress.. :D

This is a fantastic idea and I absolutely need to make a few of these for my son, husband, aunt.. :) And I LOVE the idea of the patterned duct tapes! Yey!

Jenn says:

Well, this is just BRILLIANT!! And now I know what the proper use for Mod Podge is. (Here I thought you crafty ladies were all just standing around in a room sniffing fumes…hehee!!) I understand people’s concern about the whole “electrical” aspect of it…my husband is a computer engineer who works in the lighting industry. He’d know right away if this would cause any sort of danger at all. I should ask him. Personally, I don’t think it’s going to be a problem…and obviously, the whole situation could be solved by just attaching the hanger NEXT to the outlet instead of hanging it over the plug. Problem solved. Or you could attach a cute little decorative “knob” on your faceplate that would be out of the way of anything else you’d be plugging in there, but would hold the cell phone charger just fine.

Well, I’m headed off to make one of these pronto. I can’t stand the cables hanging everywhere, and I can never remember where I put my darn phone anyway! The hardest decision is going to be deciding what fabric to use! :-) Thanks for posting this!

Meghana says:

Very brillient…I made my own…thank u

Nora says:

Awesome! Thanks for your effort and sharing – such a neat idea!

Nora

Charity says:

This is a good idea! Might use for school project.

Wow that was odd. I just wrote an incredibly long comment but after I clicked
    submit my comment didn’t appear. Grrrr… well I’m not writing all that over again.
    Anyway, just wanted to say superb blog!

Ellie says:

I love this am I’m definitely making one! I do have two cats that love to chew on any cord they can find, so I’ll try to make some sort of top to protect it. Can’t wait!

MJF17 says:

OMG – did you see this made it onto Huffington Post??

Congrats – i Made one, and while it was hard to cut the center hold, i love it. And i made it with craft paper not, fabric..

Adrienne says:

I think the idea is cute. Instead of hanging it on the outlet, what about using the command hooks? Like the ones used for hanging decorations for christmas and pictures on walls without messing up the wall?? Sounds practical to me, and it’ll still be off of the floor/ out of the way of hazards.

WriteBrain96 says:

Clearly, you are a genius! Wonderful idea!!!

Fatima says:

Wonderful idea. One holder coming up soon

Annalisa says:

Love this i made a bigger one from the big lotion bottles so my tablet and ipod etc can fit :-D

vonda foster says:

This a wonderful idea and plans for making this.

Fresh Trash says:

Hi! This idea is great, so I linked it on my recycle-upcycle blog! Feel free to stop by and check it out!

Have a nice day!

If you do not have material around, and you don’t have glue, you can also use contact paper, pre decorated, pre glued. Just a thought enjoy!!

gaynel says:

Listen, this is a great little invention. I especially could use this when I’m at the airport or visiting someone else. The colors are great and it “just works.” Thanks for the detailed instructions! Awesome job.
    Gaynel

billy says:

you can use tons of things past expiration dates. a lot of bottles dont even bother to put the expire date on the bottles at all. expirations apply to things you eat and drink and anything else pretty much is still good. companies spread rumors so people buy more stuff

Tiffany says:

So I tried this with a baby powder bottle…only empty one I had. I’d like to give as a prize for a baby shower I am having this weekend. Used dark pink fabric & you can still see the word but I am in hopes tht when it dries i will be ok because it is cute & CHEAP seeing how I’m not working.Thank you for sharig your idea.

Thank you so much for this wonderful handy tip! Serious problem with me; poor cellphone always in the way. Definitely gonna make me one. Brilliant idea.

Betty says:

This is soooo cool, my phone is the one that is always dangling down from the outlet. I will be making this awesome phone caddy this weekend.

Fred says:

Great idea! Thanks for sharing!

LOL at people says:

Was laughing at the talk regarding ‘potentially hazardous’ above.

For everyone that is “concerned” about “plastic” being so close to an outlet (or even touching the prongs of the charger), I offer two small points of common sense, and an alternative mounting suggestion.

1. Do you have any child-proofing outlet covers? (You know, the PLASTIC ones that plug into the outlet?)
    If so, aren’t you concerned that they too will “melt”?
    2. If your iPhone charger plug gets hot enough to melt this, then it had to have been hot enough to melt itself, and you have bigger issues, IMHO.

Suggestion:
    If you’re THAT worried about the ‘potential hazard’ of this project, then suspend this holder from one of those aforementioned (that means previously) child-proof outlet covers (idea: instead of cutting a large square, cut two small slots for the child-proof prongs to slide through), and plug that into the bottom outlet. Then plug your charger into the top outlet. Sure it takes up both slots, but now you don’t have to worry that this will burn down your house.

…Unless you use some sort of conductive coating (gold leaf paint, for instance), a metal bottle/can instead of a plastic one, or fabric that has metallic threads in it (conductive cloth is becoming more readily available).

Plasti-dip (tool-dip to some) is a rubber-like alternative (spray or brush-on) coating you may consider as well. If it works on tools and entire cars, it would probably hold up to the abuse of an iPhone junkie.

nanti aq nak buat la / I am going to make it

kim says:

I made this today and used Duck Tape instead of fabric. I had camo on hand which my son loves. Thanks for the fabulous idea!!

Thanks for sharing the useful information

Tarun says:

This is pure genius. I am going to make many using my b&b body wash bottles.

i made it and its handy

Donna says:

I love it. Just wht I need for my iPhone, brilliant idea. Thank y so much. Have made one for myself and one for my boyfriend. We love it.

Jacki says:

I didn’t read all comments, but this could also be done and hung from radio dial in your car.

Narmadhaa says:

Awesome idea! As for the heating, why not poke holes in it?

Julie says:

I’ve made a plain version of these, which I posted on my blog (with what I hope is a proper link back here) They came out great. I love them. Thanks. And they don’t get even a little bit warm when in use, so I’m a happy bunny! sumoftheirstories

Tesstarosa says:

I believe you could use nail polish remover with acetone (or acetone) to remove the print from the lotion bottle if you like the color or don’t want the print to “bleed” through.

T~ says:

STICK PIN it to the wall if you are that concerned. :)

I like the command hook idea myself

Jodene says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial. Just finished making one for my son-in-law for Christmas. Turned out super nice. What a great idea!

Love this idea. I think I’ll decorate with a few different colors of electrical tape.

ladi_33 says:

To the blog administrator: Since you are such a crafty person and you illustrate your blog so nicely. I am wondering if you could make a version of this the way that one of the person missi @ 15.1.1.1 who commented, suggest this be made. I think this is a wonderful idea that takes no extra effort just a bit more precise cutting and that would end the debate on the issue of it getting too warm. Thanks, this is a great Idea!

335. 334.1

also excellent for sponge holders brillant.

336. 334.1