Wearable Blanket for Baby

The weather outside is really chilly here in Colorado.

And the heater has been inching upward.

And we’re in a basement……so it’s extra cold.

The two bigger kiddos keep their blankets on…..but our littlest one (who turned 8 months old yesterday) wiggles and turns and flops all night long.  So, nope, she never keeps her blanket on.

I’m sure you have seen those little zippered blankets in the stores.  You know, the ones that the baby can sort of slip into, like a sleeping bag……….but with arm holes.

Well, you know me, I am always trying to save a few bucks and make something myself.

(okay, let’s be honest……even if I don’t save a few bucks, I still like to figure things out and make things I see in the store.  Yeah, it’s kinda thrilling.  Who’s with me?)

And since I want to make several of these (so that one can take a turn in the wash), it actually saves me some money by just making them myself.

It adds a nice layer of warmth over some jammies (yeah, that’s just a long sleeved onesie……but generally I put this on over fleece jammies).

Since it’s fleece……it’s nice and warm yet soft.   Seriously perfect for babies.

You can always find this little girl of mine zipped up in her little blanket for every nap……..and for bed at night.

And because she’s so warm and comfortable, she wakes up less.  And that is worth all the effort.

The long zipper down the front and the snap closure at the top, make this blanket easy and secure.

And this thing doesn’t keep this girl from finding her favorite little friends.  Her toes.

Would you like to make your own Wearable Blanket?

Supplies Needed:

• 1 yard of fleece (the amount will vary, depending on the size you make)
  • 22 inch zipper (the length will vary, depending on the size you make)
  • 1 snap
  • thread, scissors, etc.

I bought my fleece at Joann Fabric.  With my 40% off coupon (which anyone can get) I think it was about $7 – $8 for the full yard.

To get started, decide what size you want to make.

I grabbed a little shirt that was a little wide on my little girl (to give plenty of room for the blanket) to use as a pattern.  You just need the top of the shirt to use for the shape of the blanket.  Make sure that the shirt you pick is a high neck (adjust it if necessary).  Draw the shape of the back of the shirt first…….which will be used for the back of the sleeper.  **Make sure to add on some extra for the seam allowance.

Then, continue the sides down, angling the sides out slightly as you draw them downward.  And then curve the bottom corners and close the shape at the bottom. I made this piece about 30 inches long for my long 8 month old……but that also gives her a little room to grow.

Now, the best way to be sure that your pattern is symmetrical is to fold the pattern in half lengthwise and make sure both sides match up.  If you need to re-cut a new piece to accomodate, that’s just fine.  Or if you want to only cut half the pattern (lengthwise) and then place it on the fold to cut the whole piece of fabric, that’s just fine too.

Now, fold that back piece in half (or use it how it is if you only created a half pattern piece for the back) and place it along the straight edge of your paper……but place it about 1/2 of an inch from the edge.  You need some extra fabric here for the zipper.  Now trace around the entire thing, adding on that 1/2 of an inch along the long edge.

Now, trim down the neck line for this new piece just a bit, allowing more room for the neck in the front.

Now you have your two pattern pieces.  (Generally I wouldn’t make the back piece on the left a whole piece.  I would just create a half piece and then cut on the fold.  But I wanted to show you what these 2 pieces would look like without confusing the front from the back.  But you choose how you want to do it.)

And then cut the pieces out with fabric.

(Make sure and cut them with the stretch of the fleece going left to right, not up and down.  You want the blanket to stretch across the belly, not from head to toe.)

The back piece is on the left and the two front pieces are on the right.  (Make sure to fold your fabric together with right sides together and then place the “front” pattern piece on top.  Then cut both layers at the same time.  This will assure the right side of the fabric is facing the right way for each piece.)

Now, grab your two front pieces and place them together with right sides together.  Sew along the long straight edge using a 1/2 inch seam allowance (or whatever length you gave yourself when creating your pattern piece).

Now, open up the pieces and lay it down with the wrong side facing up.  Place your zipper face down, lining up the top of the zipper with the neck line at the top.

Sew your zipper in place.  Here’s a view from the front.  (Need help inserting a zipper?  Click here.)

Now place the back piece of the blanket together with the front blanket piece, with right sides together.  Sew along the shoulder sections and then along the sides and around the bottom.  Now zig-zag or serge the edges to secure them.

Now turn the blanket right side out.  It’s time to finish off the arm holes and neck opening.

Cut some strips of bias-cut fabric that are about 1 1/4 inch wide.  (Need help with bias cut?  Click here

Start with the arm holes and cut your bias cut strips to the length that will measure all the way around the arm hole openings.  Add a little extra for the seam allowance then sew each strip into a circle.

Then fold the strip together with right side facing outward, and sandwich this strip around the arm hole opening.  Pin in place.

Then sew it just how it is (and don’t worry about the raw edges because they won’t fray) or you can tuck under that top raw edge and sew right next to the fold.   Either way works but folding the top edge under is a bit more tricky.  Do what’s most comfortable for you.

Then do the same thing for the neck line.  Un-zip the zipper and start at one end of the neck line and sew all the way around to the other end.  However, you will need to have a little extra room at each end by the top of the zipper to fold under and out of the way.  (And again, I folded under that top edge and sewed it in place but you can leave it how it is.  **And if you don’t fold it under, you don’t need bias cut strips that are quite as wide.  So adjust if necessary.)

Now, cut two long rectangle pieces that are rounded at one end, to make the snap tab.  Mine were about 2 x 3 inches.  Sew them together with right sides together, sewing all the way around……but leaving the bottom end open.

Turn right side out and then sew the snap tab right to the blanket, right below the neck line and next to the zipper.

Then fold the tab over and sew it down in place.

Then add your snap pieces.  For the snap piece on the actual blanket (opposite the tab) I placed an extra square of fleece on the back side, just for added strength.

(Need help with snaps?  Click here.)

Then turn your sleeper right side out, iron seams flat……..

And that’s it.

Your Wearable Blanket is all ready to be worn.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Accessory, Baby, Children, Clothing, Featured, Gift Ideas, Sewing

Comments

137 Responses to “Wearable Blanket for Baby”
    Leigh Ann says:

I love those blanket sleepers!

Dianna W says:

Ok, I know I ought to comment on the tutorial (which looks awesome) but that sweet little toothless baby grin is my favorite part! She looks so happy to be in her snuggly little blanket! Just seeing that little pose on her belly made me smile :) So now I’ll have to go back and actually pay attention to the tutorial!

Thank you! My little one just turned 8 months on the 1st and he does ok with his blanket, but I’m always concerned he’s not warm enough. We’re in Colorado too! Now I just need to purchase a sewing machine… any suggestions on a good one? I’m not a beginner to sewing I just don’t have a machine of my own.

Katie says:

How wonderful! We had a couple of these when my daughter was born (now she’s 2), but we got rid of almost all of our baby stuff when we moved. Next time we have a baby I’ll just whip some up! :)

Brook D. says:

You could also add a slit to the front and back where the car seat buckle goes to make it car seat ready!

Lynette says:

I never knew these existed! But that is the best idea ever. I’m pinning it for next year because our first kiddo will be here and just might need one of these. Oh and that fabric is absolutely adorable! I love it.

Natalija says:

This is on my to-do list for a my 5 month old girl. I have some pink fleece laid out for it and I even picked the zipper. Only I had planned to fully line mine with a knit (like I saw in some online stores), but I don’t have a suitable knit. So, I might just do it like you did without the lining. Should really get it done in the next few days.

MARIA says:

I would’ve done the same if I knew how to sew when my baby was younger. You have such great talent!

Nancy L. says:

The blanket is adorable, but the little one wearing it is even more so. :-) Thanks for the tutorial!

katie says:

This is a great idea! I’ve had these in newborn size but never really thought to use them for when they’re a bit older. My daughter is nine months and I think it would still be nice for her. We live in Northern CO. I didn’t realize you were a Coloradan yourself, fun :).

Jenessa says:

Another variation is to put the zipper upside down so if you need to change a diaper in the middle of the night you don’t have to totally undress and then you also don’t need the zipper cover at the top. Thanks for the great tutorial!!!

jami o says:

totally agree. I made one that way just b/c of that reason :)

Yeah, I considered that but I didn’t have a zipper with a starter at the bottom. It needs to fully open at the neck so you can get baby in there. But next time I would buy a zipper with a starter at the bottom (no clue what that’s really called) or one that has two zipper pulls and can open from the top and bottom. Definitely a great idea! Thanks!!!

P.S. In case someone else doesn’t have a better zipper on hand, if you leave the snap closed and just unzip, you can pull their legs out without taking their whole body out. Then diaper changes are still possible.

• 11.2.1
        Autumn says:

They’re called “separating” zippers. I made a few of these earlier this year out of jersey knit (for warmer months) and love ‘em. I use fleece or minky in the winter and jersey knit in the summer (with A.C.) and my 18-month-old is still as happy as a clam. :-)

A benefit to using them for older babies is that the kiddos can’t crawl out of a crib when they’re wearing them! Since they can’t swing a leg over the railing, I don’t have to worry quite so much about escapees.

I also angle the bottom of the blanket more triangularly, but that’s just preference based on how my little guy sleeps.

• 11.2.1.1
          Chole says:

Yeah! My 2 year old wears one for that reason! Those climbers, they keep you on your toes

• Michelle says:

Yep that is the reason my 26 month old still sleeps in hers at night and for nap time :) Also cuz it is chilly and she doesn’t keep her blanket on!

Laura says:

this is amazing!!! You are super talented! We’re here in Colorado too and my almost 4 month old could def use one of these.. i need to get a sewing machine first though. haha :)

Kara says:

This great! My little man needs these… now is the problem of actually sewing them …. How long did it take you?

Sarah H says:

I am hoping to make some of these as gifts now!!! YAY!!

Liz says:

What a cutie! Great tute! Thanks!

Deanna says:

I have been making these for my girlie since she was 3mos old. We still use one and she is not 18mos. I would suggest making it from cotton though, as it is a more breathable fabric and you don’t want your baby to overheat. For winter, I always made them one layer of cotton and one layer of flannel – still very breathable, but also warm. I used to sell these too! So, if anyone is looking to buy one, I do make them to sell :)

Diane says:

Totally agree! I’m not a fan of hot, sweaty polyester fleece either. In fact, a large men’s cotton terry sweatshirt or hoodie with a zipper already in place might work as a re-purpose. Ashley, are those wheels spinning?? :) :)

marcia says:

I would love for you to email me some pictures and pricing on your sleep blankets! Thank you Deanna!

Laurel says:

I love following your blog because we have little girls about the same age! My baby is about 2 weeks older than yours and you keep coming out with all of the things that I need right when I need them! It is just getting cold here (AZ) and I was just thinking this week that I should look into those zipper blankets!!

melany says:

awesome tutorial! we’re having baby #2 in a few months and i remember baby#1 would constantly roll out of her blankets. this is perfect and so easy! what a great baby shower gift, too. great job ashley!

Lisa says:

oh love. :-) the picture of her sitting up in it is to die for!!! I’m booking this one…

Thank you for this tutorial! My 10 month old will not sleep without her sleep sack on and she’s almost too long for it! I need to make her one that she’ll fit in for a little longer.

Danette says:

This was meant to be! i went out to buy a sleep sac yesterday and was shocked at the price they were selling them at! I thought there has to be a tutorial out there somewhere to make one! thanks!

Lisa L says:

I have always wanted to make one of these but you made this tut so simple it takes all my hesitancy away!
    These are SO expensive to buy! And up here in Saskatchewan it gets mighty cold in the wintertime so fleece is a MUST! Thank you so much!

Tif says:

I wonder if my 5 year old would sleep in one of these! I swear she wakes up at least 3 times a night in the winter because she can’t keep herself under her blankets!

Jen says:

WOW thanks for this! I was soooooooo close to buying a sleep sack at the store today for my little guy. Glad I saw this, I have some fleece here at home that is just right.

Wendy says:

You come up with the most wonderful ideas. A fleece sleep sack~ how great :) I wonder if my toddlers would sleep in it so I wouldn’t have to cover them up 3 times a nite… Ugh! This would be a super present too. Thank you! :)

YOU ARE AMAZING.

Nicole says:

Gosh. The blanket is nearly as cute as the baby. NEARLY! :) & yep, it’s quite cold in CO. 58 tomorrow, though!

Robin says:

I love this idea it will make a fabulous baby gift!

Vicky says:

I really enjoy your blog, but seriously, right now I love you! These last couple of nights my boy has been kicking his covers off (as usual) and because it’s cold, he’s been up about 5 or 6 times – seriously draining! You must be psychic, this is just the tutorial I need :) Guess what I’m doing this weekend? Thank you!

jan says:

awesome tutorial! I have been making these for my kids too, but they are not nearly so pretty. our toddler has one with foot holes so she can stick her feet out to walk if she needs.

I found a secondary advantage of sleep sacks: they also help prevent climbing out out the crib! My daughter couldn’t get her leg up high with the sleep sack on… perfect deterrent. i even resorted to scooping the back out and and putting it on backwards so she couldn’t undo the zipper. hehehe.. mean mommy, aren’t I?

Sarah says:

Love this! Our house gets cold and I would love to make one with sleeves… any chance you want to post a pattern with sleeves as well?
    Thanks for all the great tutorials!

Kari says:

Love this! All three of my kids have/are using these…my two oldest until they were well over two :). It definitely helps keep them in their cribs…I’ve yet to have a baby try a crib escape! One thing I would recommend, though, is to put the zipper in upside down. It makes it harder for them to undo :). And when they figure that out, put it on backwards! :).

Studio Julie Snow says:

Love it so much – so easy and so darn cute!

Kristyn says:

I swear you are a total mind reader! I was just thinking up how to make one of these for my little guy. Thanks for saving me the trouble!

Emily says:

Love the little tab. I should probably make one for my little girl who won’t keep her blankets on and cries at night b/c she’s cold.

Priscilla from California says:

Adorable…and the blanket is pretty cute, too!

Dorothee-Maria says:

I find it quite interesting, that this kind of “wearable blanket” is so unusual over there, in the USA. Here in Germany it is very common, and nearly every baby sleeps in such a sleeping sac…! :] Our daughter doesn’t, because she doesn’t like it… Unfortunately she doesn’t even like any kind of blanket on her, while she is sleeping (or falling asleep)… She does not move such a lot, but she would always immediately recognize the touch of a blanket, as soon as you will try to cover her with it… So, while I will not try to make this sleeping sac for her, the description “wearable blanket” inspired me! Why not try to make a wearable blanket, which could be hang over her shoulders, but not closed, like your version, but with the bottom left open…? Like a kind of dress, but much more wider and comfortable, made of flannel (or so)…. However: Thank you very much for sharing this tutorial! :)

Barbara says:

This is seriously cute. You forgot to add under the supplies: one grandchild. Where can I get one of those? My kids don’t seem to know. LOL

Cyndel Jones says:

I’ve been planning on making this for my boy! Thank you for figuring it out for me…I would have struggled getting up the confidence to figure it out on my own…though I know I could have once I started!

Lisa Mongiovi says:

THis is sooo cute! Thanks for sharing!
    I love your blog!

Paula says:

The blanket and tutorial are so cute but that baby is adorable. I’d love to have one of these in my size LOL

Natalie says:

It’s like you’re reading my mind : ) I was just thinking I need to make some of these for my little Leah. Back here in Georgia it’s just now getting chilly and I can whip up a few of these before it gets really cold.

noelle says:

I made two of these for my little guy when he was 18 mo. now that he’s 2 1/2 he doesn’t get to wear them anymore:( Was just looking for some cute girly ones for my 2 month old and came up empty. Thanks for the great tutorial. I will head to Joann’s asap:)

Penelope says:

You know… I have been thinking lately that I need to figure out how to make a few of these. My 5 month old is the squirmiest wormiest baby I’ve ever had. She has been popping open the snaps on all her jammas and gets her legs out just from her squirming at night. I’ve always used gowns on my newborns, but they don’t make them the right size for these older/bigger babies. Now I don’t have to spend time on brain work to figure it out, I can follow your directions. Thanks! Now if I can find the time to do it…. LOL

Betsy says:

I love that your little girl is about, oh, 8.5 months older than mine ;) ;) ;)… just enough time for me to actually get my stuff together and make things AHEAD for her! :-P I wanted to share though, that I have one, newborn outfit-y thing that uses the long zipper down the front, except, in order to keep mommy from pinching her chin, or it unzipping (like your snap tab does), the zipper STARTS at the neck, and zips to the feet… so you actually… zip it down. I thought it was pretty nifty and haven’t seen too many like it, but if you’re gonna make more of these, figured I’d pass that along. Seeing as my little one has a few weeks before I can try anything like that out and all :) I’m all about having less steps to a finished project ;)

Elisabeth says:

Just a few days ago I thought about sewing one of these. My DS is too large for store bought sleeping sacks and he is constantly loosing his blanket at night, waking up because he’s freezing. Your tutorial comes just in time! Thank you!
    Elisabeth

Devonay says:

Adorable! I love it! I don’t have any babies… sigh… my baby is 17! I would love to make some for gifts though. Your tutorial is awesome! Thanks!

Beth says:

This is so stinkin’ adorable and so is your little princess!!! Smiles~Beth

Jenny Richins says:

i love this. this reminds me of the woombie that is loads of money to buy. i made a similar one for my friend to test out. it fit a little more snug around the baby and the baby slept awesome in it.

Emily says:

Oooh that’s like a Woombie but warmer! I heart heart heart it!

Morgan says:

I’ve been wanting to make one of these for so long! I was just lazy and didn’t want to take the time to figure it out. Thanks for doing it for me! Do you think it would work well with knit or flannel fabric?

Bonnie Ditto says:

Such a great idea. Snuggie for babies! Hope your little love bucket stays warm and toastie!

Sarah says:

This is great! Our house gets super cold during the winter and I worry about my 2-year-old who doesn’t seem to like her blankets. I’m going to give this a try. Thanks!

Michele N says:

Okay, sure now another thing from you to make for friends with babies. My brother & sister in law are in Minnesota and expecting a baby just before Christmas. How long should I make it for a new born to 6mo old? I really, really want to make this for them!

Louise says:

I made something like your sleeper for my older grandchildren. (8 & 10). When they were lying on floor playing and it was cold they liked to wear them. They were long sleeve and at the bottom of the sleeper, instead of being completely closed like yours , I made opening at each corner and put cotton ribbing as a cuff, so when they wanted to run around they put foot through opening and pushed cuff up and they could run around. One yr. for Christmas I made several adult sizes one too. Really cozy and much better than the cheap wrap up blankets advertised on tv.

Linnellbelle says:

Thank you so much! I was going to try to figure out how to make one for my own little sweet cheeks who is 2 weeks younger than yours and also at the top of all known growth charts…meaning she’s too big for the one I got as a hand-me-down. You make my life easier!!!
    I have a question for you…. I really really really want to try the fabric dolls that were mentioned when we all got to vote on a tutorial. Love the fabric boxes, by the way. Any chance you might get a tutorial done by Christmas? Please? :)

Cameron says:

What a great idea for all the babies my friends are having/about to have – and I do get a thrill figuring out how to make stuff myself – even if it doesn’t actually save any money. It’s the sense of accomplishment! I have a question – what is your sewing machine sitting in/on – I want to have a huge flat area like that around mine!

Rachel says:

I don’t know what’s cuter, the baby or the sleeper?! She’s a little doll. Thanks for the tutorial. I’ll have to make some of these with the next one. :)

Amanda says:

Your baby is so stinkin cute. I wanna give some lovin on.
    Love the sleeper too.

Kristina Noall says:

I never thought I’d be disappointed to not deal with Idaho winters anymore, but after seeing this…maybe I’ll have to make some for #2 in flannel or knit for the mild Arizona “winter.” :) I LOVED these things when my 2 1/2 year old was a baby!

Erika says:

Oh so very cute!! Can’t believe I never realized our little girlies are so close in age – mine will be 8 months on the 11th. We just broke out blanket sleepers with layers in Oregon…but now I need to get to making one of these. And SO much cuter than the ones in the stores …and the little munchkin, cuteness!!

Kendra L says:

Your little baby girl is TOO ADORABLE! And to answer your question, YES I would make a wearable blanket!!! I know so many people who use them (I want one for my baby boy) and it would be a great gift (a lot cheaper and CUTER than the store bought ones! Thanks for posting!!

Silvana says:

you read my thoughts. I wanted to do this for so long!

Janice says:

Oh, I am going to need one of these in just a couple weeks! Or maybe a dozen of them! And I have fleece! I’m so excited! Thanks so much for the fantastic tutorial!

tarutus says:

how cute she looks :) My little girl is now 17 months but she is also turning so much in her sleep that she never keeps her blanket on. But there’s another problem, she likes to touch her belly button before she falls asleep :) i’ve tried to dress her with warm clothing, but if she cannot find her belly button, she just wont fall asleep :) … probably i would need to cut a belly button hole for this model :)

ira lee says:

her is sooooo purty!!!

Jen says:

What a great tutorial! And your little model is stealing the show :) Thanks for the how-to! I’ve been wanting to make something like this for my two girls for a long time!

Lisa says:

My little girl is just 1 day younger than yours! And I was contemplating how to make these blankets last night as I snuggled her into her 1 store bought version and nursed her down for the night. Thank you so much!

Laura says:

Your little girl is just the cutest. She has a smile that brightens up your day. Thanks for the great idea.

nicole says:

add some wings and you have a swaddler!

Tricia says:

What a great idea! Your baby’s adorable. :)

Jenette says:

I love this—last year I attempted to make one but your tutorial will make it a lot easier for me this year.

Rochelle says:

Thanks for sharing this! I have wanted to make this type of wearable blanket in the past but didn’t have time or energy to sit down and figure it out. I will have to keep this handy for the next baby.

Lori Burrows says:

Thanks for coming up with such amazing tutorials! Any chance we’ll get to do the fabric dolls so I can make a few for Christmas? I have three little girls that would LOVE LOVE LOVE one! Thanks again! I love looking at your blog!

Natalie says:

This is great! I’m just finishing up my second one, thanks! I found another good way to sew the bias on. After you make the bias strip into a ring, pin it right sides together to the arm hole. Then sew all the way around 1/4″. Now all you have to do is flip the bias to the back, stitch in the ditch (just make sure you catch the back). It’s a bit easier than folding it under as you sew.

Rachel Hipps says:

Your little girl is so adorable!! great idea!

Lauren says:

I was JUST telling my husband today how I needed to buy some more of these for our daughter. Your timing is perfect!

Neelima says:

Wow that is a cool idea…. I have a craft link party at my blog http://artistneelima.blogspot.com/2011/11/crafturday-creative-mess-11-thank-you.html Do link in if it interests you.

Erica says:

That is so cute on your little baby!

Tessa says:

I was just thinking of making one of these the day before you posted this, and am so glad to have it all laid out for me so I feel confident in making one. I went and bought some fleece today. I was just rereading the post before I draft my pattern and am going to tackle cutting and sewing tomorrow. Hancock fabrics is having fleece fest so I got a yard of three different patterns (3 yards total) for a total of $15. I just looked up how much the sleep sacks are just, you know, to see how much I am saving, and the halo sacks are 20!!! dollars. For one! I am excited for the savings. I was more doing it for the fun of it because I didn’t think I would save all that much. t plan on making 3. I was thinking of making mittens from your tutorial for my 2 year old or something or another with the remaining fabric. Maybe a fleece hat? Well see. I may end of making more than three and gift a few to some new moms. Thanks for the tute!

Megan says:

Just made one of these from some ADORABLE brown fabric I picked up (well, my baby girl snagged and wouldn’t let go of) from Hancocks. I love how you instruct so simply and clearly! I LOVE that most of my kiddos clothing is made by me or re purposed, and you make it so much easier by figuring out the hard/ frustrating/ time consuming/ construction part and sharing with the rest of us! Thank you ever so much!

Brenda says:

My little boy turned 8 months on the 3rd!! I actually have a sleeper like this for him but he hates it, because he can’t crawl in it..(He crawls alll over his bed in his sleep) I WISH he would wear it, because I am in SLC Utah and it seems like my house is ALWAYS cold at night and I too worry that he isn’t warm enough due to being such a wiggle worm.. Maybe I need to make this and put it on him during the day so he can figure out how to move in it…. Hmmmm….. Very cute tutorial and especially cute baby girl!!

wendy says:

What a fantastic tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing, my brother has a baby on the way (well OK, so it’s not actually him that’s carrying the baby!) and this will make a wonderful present. So generous, thanks!

Like so many other people have said, that baby is SOOO gorgeous!! I want to just pinch those adorable cheeks!!! Oh yeah, the tutorial is great too!! I haven’t yet learned how to do a zipper, but I might have to try, so I can make a friend one of these blankets!!

Mindy says:

My baby is almost 2 so I don’t plan on making this. But I wanted to tell you that the pics you took of your baby girl are gorgeous! You should do a pull back so we can see your photography set up! ;)

Coleen says:

Great tutorial. My kids are past this stage too but of course, there are always littles around to make this for. I had purchased them for my twins and paid around $18 a piece but they were worth it. We had knit ones for summer too. Had I had the time then to make them myself, I would have wanted this tutorial! I have a ton of fleece in my stash so I think I’ll be making some for gifts! Thanks!

Dez says:

Such a great tutorial! Your baby is so adorable; my son just turn 8 months as well.

Penelope says:

Well, Miss Ashley, I’ve got it done! Thanks again for this. I used my Dear Husband’s old flannel PJ’s that had shrunk and worn out at a couple of seams and made my little girl one of these. Now I’ll have to make another one, a bigger one. And more girly. Love it!

Heidi says:

Made it. Loved it. :)

These are pretty common in Australia, too. Please consider making a comment at the “Neckline” part that it’s important they can’t get their head into it. This is a sudden infant death syndrome concern to ensure they don’t scoot down “inside” the sleeping bag.
    Many of the ones sold here are longer than needed and have fold up ends with snaps to shorten them to the right length until your baby is tall enough to leave the pops undone.
    The safest zippers for these are the open ended jackets (think: hoodie) put in with the zipper starting at the top and zipping downwards. That way you don’t need to worry about the tab as the zip is at the bottom, and as Jenessa said, you can unzip for nappy/diaper changes. But I find the nappy change using normal zip is no problem.

Erin says:

I made one today for my little guy. This was so quick and simple! The hardest part was putting the snaps on. Thanks for sharing your process and making it so simple.

Melissa says:

I picked up fleece blankets at Dollar Tree on the baby row. It takes one and a half to make one zipper blanket. You can’t beat $1.50 for each one! Thanks for a great tutorial!

nicolle says:

Thanks for posting I need to make some of these! Side note, did you move? I live in CO too!

Greta says:

I just adore this tutorial. I just found out my brother and sister-in-law are due in April and I have been trying to figure out something good to make for them as a baby gift for the shower! This is the perfect thing! It is snuggly and adorable! I love the baby in the picture too!

Megan says:

Made one for my baby for Christmas and it turned out great! http://thehomesihavemade.blogspot.com/2011/12/santa-baby-jammies.html
    I also give a big shout-out to you and your brilliance!
    Have a very Merry Christmas!

Chas says:

Hi,
    Would you have any interest in making one of these for sale? I absolutely love the fabric you used and have no sewing ability at all. Lol I would love one for my 9 month old daughter. Thanks :)

Debbie says:

I love this! I decided to do the zipper upside down to diaper changing would be easier and you would have to undress to do it – thanks for posting :-)

Frances says:

I just finished 2 for my little man and I am so excited! They turned out fabulous thanks to your amazing tutorial!!! Thank you!!!

Olivia says:

Do you think you could scan in this pattern onto your blog so I can use your pattern?

Mareike says:

This is so cute… I did it with zebra-stripes and a red zipper. It turned out great! Thank you so much for this tutorial!

Michelle says:

First – your daughter is adorable!
    Second – thank you so much for sharing this awesome tutorial. I have a bought one that my daughter sleeps in every night, but I will be making a couple of these now!

cj hallford says:

These are really a good idea. When mine were little, we had the drawstring bottom gowns for little babies, and I made a variation of them for my kids when they got older for what I called sleep sacks then using 2 zippers. I used about a 10″ or 12″ length one at the top to pull them on for dressing, and then at the bottom of the sack, I put one to zip up toward the top for changing diaper. This is alot cheaper than buying separating zippers, and if you drop them down from the top and “tab it” like this one or just low enough to add a hook and eye, it’s just as effective. You can even put button tab tops at the shoulder like the little rompers for summer time if you are going to use them over jammies anyway, and just forego the top zipper. I repurposed sweat shirts, sweaters, fleece or flannel jackets from my husband, my younger sisters, and all the relatives! Once you get them in the habit of remembering you will take things that they would otherwise put in the trash bin, you wind up with all kinds of treasures! And all the relatives loved seeing what I had come up with out of their old stuff.

Amanda says:

Hi! I’m attempting to make this and for the life of me I can’t seem to figure out how you require the two front pieces sewed together :-/

Darillyn Lamb Starr says:

We lived in Germany in the late 80s. The heating oil there was quite costly so we really couldn’t keep the house very warm and those armless blanket sleepers were great! It those days, they were made out of pre-quilted fabric and were quite wide, especially at the bottom and children could actually stand and walk a little bit in them. Our third child was born there and I had one for his first year and brought another back with me for when he got a little old. My last three kids wore them, too.

Lalalemur says:

I just found, buried in the bottom of my closet, one of these baby bags. Unfortunately, it’s newborn sized and my lil turtle is 4 months. She still fits, but it’s getting tight. I really want to make this. I’m a lot like you in that, it’s a thrill to try to achieve these things. This pattern seems so simple, I’m glad you posted. I have one suggestion :)……
    On the baby bag I found, the zipper starts up at the neck and zips down towards the feet. If you applied the zipper in this fashion, it would eliminate the need for the zipper cover and the snap (which are a pain sometimes). Also with this backwards zipper, I have found that on those cold nights, I don’t have to unzip baby all the way (we cloth diaper, so she needs a changing 2+ times a night…a pain in my butt…but it is what it is). Anyway, I hope this helps. And thanks again for the easy to read and follow pattern :)

Just wondering, I thought that was a good idea, having the zipper the other way round but does it mean it opens at the bottom completely? Otherwise it wouldnt go over the baby’s head? Sorry I am only a beginner and would love to make this but am terrified so any advice is really appreciated:)

Hannah says:

Wonderful Tutorial! I Love those sleeping sacks, and I think my daughter is growing out of hers, so I’ll be making one of these for her sometime soon!

I linked to it on my blog post on the best baby tutorials, here:

<3 Hannah

Tulisa says:

Awww definitely looks nice and toasty. My cousins just had a baby so I think I’m going to give this one a go. Got to make it extra small though shes tiny
    Thanks

alicia says:

I live in FL by the beach where the night starts warm/humid and then cools nicely thank to the ocean breeze. I will be trying this but with a lighter weight fabric for our climate. My kiddo is 17 months but gets cold toes and it takes a toll on his sleep. I was so bummed when he outgrew his sleepsac at a year. This will definitely help us out!!!

Kirsty says:

I love this – I am getting a new machine at Christmas and am going to ask for some lovely fleece fabric to go with it as my little boy (one) never keeps his blanket on but these are £20+ in the shops (he does keep them on though) so will be having a go very soon x

Sarah says:

I love your tutorials!! Thank you so much for sharing them!! Love, love, love!!

Mehnaz says:

Just a little confused on the zipper step. The previous step sewed the two front pieces together. Doesnt thezipper get stuck then? How does that work?

Mehnaz says:

Nevermind, read your other tutorial. You just remove that seam at the end. Got it, gonna try now.