Home Decor: Leafy Foliage Wreath

Any Cyber Monday shoppers out there?  In case you need some supplies to create some of your Christmas gifts (or stock up), Pick Your Plum (a great deal-a-day site) has 9 different deals going on today……instead of just one.  So in case you need some dry erase vinyl sheets, some wood scrabble tiles, some jewelry blanks, and several more…….go on over and check out all the deals going on today.

The prices will not disappoint.  Promise.  Go here.

Also, the big sale on all Silhouette products ends tonight at midnight.  Hurry and stock up on all the extras.  Also, make sure and follow the link from this post to find the special link for the new Silhouette CAMEO too.

. . . . . . .

How was your Thanksgiving weekend?  Ours was full of family, good food, board games, plenty of chatting and lots of resting.  It was much needed.  (Oh, and only like 5 sick people out of the 35 of us who got together.  All those people with different germs in 1 space for a week?  Sickness is inevitable.)  I hope yours (if you celebrated) was restful too.

Anyway, I know it’s time for Christmas stuff to start rolling in……but I’m still trying to finish up our basement apartment we’re living in (more on that here).

Remember how I’m trying to spruce it up?

Last week I showed you this old dresser that I rescued and painted.

Well, I wanted a little wreath to hang from my mirror that sits on top……and decided to make one.

Out of leafy foliage.

I didn’t want flowers or something too busy or bulky.  I just wanted a bit of color and texture.  Done.

The leaves on the wreath are small and are a waxy/plastic texture……so they seem more real than just silk leaves.

It gives a nice simple punch to this space.

Would you like to make your own leafy wreath?

To make your own leafy wreath, you will need to decide what size wreath to make.  Then plan accordingly as you purchase your supplies.

You will need:

• a grapevine wreath (I bought a 12 inch wreath for a few dollars at Michael’s Craft Store…..don’t forget your coupon!)
  • 2 or more stems of leaves……you’ll need enough length to go around your wreath and enough to overlap each end a bit. (I bought mine at Hobby Lobby for $5-$6 a stem, after they were on sale for 40%-50% off.  I can’t remember the original price.  They weren’t silk leaves…they were more waxy/plasticy.  They look more real looking than the silk variety.  I’m sure they have some at Michael’s too.  I didn’t look though because I already had mine.)
  • floral wire
  • scissors
  • ribbon for hanging your wreath (optional)

Begin by attaching one stem end to the front of the wreath with some floral wire.

If your wreath only needs two stems…….attach the second stem end on the other side of the wreath.  (If more stems are needed, space out your stems evenly around the wreath.)

Then start curving one of the stems of leaves around the wreath, attaching it down to the wreath with pieces of floral wire.

Continue tacking the leaves down here and there, creating a nice circular shape to your wreath.

Make sure to tuck the ends of your wire down into the leaves, hiding them from view.

And that’s it.  A nice and full leafy wreath.

. . . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Featured, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

18 Responses to “Home Decor: Leafy Foliage Wreath”
    Angela says:

I love that! I may try that and throw on a bright pink bow to go in my daughter’s room!

Malinda Sieg says:

I love how this turned out! I am on the brink of making my yearly Christmas wreaths so it is happy to see that I am in good company. I love your blog. So cheerful!

Susan Krauss says:

Awesome wreath idea! But, how do you attach it to the mirror?

Thanks…..I forgot that info. I just added what I did.

**If you want to attach it to a mirror like I did, loop some ribbon through the wreath and then use a tack or push pin to secure the very ends of the ribbon to the back side of the mirror.**

Valerie Nelson says:

Holy Hot dogs!! Thanks soooooooooooo much for the the pick your plum tip!! Never seen that site before and just scored an AWESOME deal on crafty things! THANK YOU!! and the wreath is amazing! Can’t wait to get home from the NL and make one of my own!!

Lynette says:

That is so pretty! I’m excited to try this one sometime.

Julie Snow says:

Love it! (sew much!). It is so simple and sooooooooooo elegant!

Jeni says:

Love this wreath, and I don’t usually love wreaths! Think I’ll make one with some red berries for Christmas!

Whitney says:

Love this wreath! So super excited to make it that I rushed to HL for the supplies–whoa! The stems/leaves at my store were $15.99 – $17.99 and I couldn’t find one exactly like the ones you used. I was certainly willing to use something else but the price was prohibitive. I looked and looked even asked the sales lady and she said they didn’t have anything for that price. In my small town, HL is the only craft store. I’m going to check back but I don’t have high hopes. Thanks for the great tutorial though! Beautiful! Has anyone else had any luck finding these stems for a reasonable price?

Oh woah……mine weren’t that much. However, I forgot to mention that mine were $5 (maybe $6) after the sale they were running. They had all their stems on sale for 40%-50% and so they were originally like $10. Maybe $12. I can’t remember. (I added this info to the tutorial…..thank you for pointing that out.) Maybe they have another variety there that would work?? A different color, or leaf shape, etc? Anyway, another option is looking online. Bet of luck and hope you can find something!

• 8.1.1
        whitney says:

I know! Sticker shock–that was before the 50% off but still high. I’m going to look around–I was even carrying your tutorial on my phone and showed the pic to the sales lady:) We had no luck. All of the leaves were that high but the floral stems were much lower–there were some things that would have worked but the branches weren’t as full and would have taken many more to cover the wreath and I would have ended up overspending. I’m going to look online. Great idea! Thanks again, Ashley!

Annie says:

So pretty and perfect for the space. Love it!

delia says:

So pretty and simple. Nice job. I like that it just takes two floral stems.

Jackie B says:

Hi there, Just found your blog. I love the greenery at Hobby Lobby. I have done this numerous times, but I leave out the willow wreath thing and just wire it back to itself. Another great place to check in where they keep the floral “garland” in the store. The garlands are long and the flower are spaced correctly so you could just wind it up to the diameter that you wish and tie it down with floral wire. I usually put a bow where the ends meet. The garland is almost always fifty percent off and, if it is not, I just wait a week. Very pretty.

Wow! I love the wreath. I also prefer design that’s not overburdened with details. I think that its rich texture is quite enough. Very elegant!

Michalina says:

Beautiful wreath. I’ve just finished my wreath but it’s a advent calendar too. I used matches boxes and a paper wreath to create an advent calendar for my kid. She loves to open each everyday and look for little surprises. Not only sweets but also little ponies or small bubble bath gel for kids etc. If you find some time – please come and have a look.
    Best regards,
    Michalina

Megan says:

Hi Ashley! I just wanted to pop over and thank you for this tutorial/inspiration. I just used it as the foundation for my holiday wreath: http://thehomesihavemade.blogspot.com/2011/12/decking-halls.html
    I absolutely love your blog – it’s one of my favorites and am constantly inspired by your creations!
    Happy Holidays!
    Megan
    P.S. I also used your baby cap tutorial for my son’s Halloween costume! http://thehomesihavemade.blogspot.com/2011/10/wheres-baby-waldo.html