Frame a Scene from a Children’s Book: Guest Posting over on ‘No Big Dill’ today

Did you see my post earlier this morning about the HUGE Silhouette (craft cutter) sale going on for a few days (discount codes included)??  Everything is on sale.  So stock up!  Be warned, those darn CAMEOS will sell out.  Especially since they’re discounted!  So hurry and send the link over to Santa………….or just buy your own Christmas gift this year!

. . . . .

Are you a fan of the blog No Big Dill?  Katy is a mom to 5 of the most beautiful girls you will ever see and just recently gave birth to a handsome little boy.  Such a dreamy little guy!  Funny thing about Katy…….is that she and I were neighbors before we left Georgia this past summer.  She lives in Florida and we realized we were actually only a couple hours away from each other.  We just barely missed each other before we left.  Dang.  Because this Katy is so darn talented and clever and witty and has such fun over on her blog.  And her children make such beautiful subjects in her pictures.

Anyway, she has been running a Once Upon a Thread series over on her blog.

It’s something she puts together and invites guest bloggers to sew with her and create book inspired projects.  Here are a few projects from her last Once Upon a Thread event.  SO cute and darling and imaginative. (See if you can guess any of the books.)

Anyway, Katy asked me to be a part of it this time around and I was so happy to participate.  (Last time I had a baby in my belly about to pop out.  So I’m so glad you’re doing this again Katy!)

I love children’s books.  It’s so easy to be inspired by them.  I had about 27 ideas running around in my head but I finally I chose the book The Itsy Bitsy Spider by Kate Toms for this ‘Once Upon a Thread’ series.  The story and song is a popular one……but Kate Toms gives it such a fun spin.

The story line is so silly and the flow is so easy to love.  And most likely, you’ll giggle through the whole thing.

And what I love about it, is that each image is a scene created with textured fabrics.  They’re so eye-catching.  And darling.

So, of course I fell in love.  And then decided to take an image from the book and create a piece of art work out of it…..using some textures from my stash of fabric scraps.

Don’t you think it would make a great little addition to a nursery or toddler room?  Sit it on top of a dresser or hang it from the wall.  Or hey, it would even be cute in the bathroom, hallway, playroom, etc.  (Okay, and after I made this one……I decided it would be cute to make 2 more scenes from the book and hang them all together on the wall.)

But really, you could do this with any book and any scene…….

But what a great gift it would be to give someone a book, along with a piece of artwork that corresponds.  Anyone making their Christmas gifts this year?

Would you like to create one of your own?

If you want to create a page from The Itsy Bitsy Spider like I did…….here’s what I did.

(But keep in mind, you really could do this with any book and just use this as a guide.)

First of all, decide on the size frame and matte you want to use (I bought a frame with a 11×14 opening but the matte is an 8×10 opening)…..then cut a piece of burlap that is an inch bigger than the opening of your matte on all sides.  Now place the matte on top of the burlap to see how big your opening is and mark with chalk or place pins on each side to use as your guide.

Now sew a few stitches around that edge but about a 1/4 inch in from where the matte would sit….so that you can see the stitches after the matte is in place.

Now, cut out some shapes to create the water spout.  Then add a few stitches for detail.  (The yellow fabric is duck cloth and the blue is faux leather.)

Now, you could use your sewing machine to stitch each piece on……or use the glue gun.  Since this won’t be washed or played with, using a glue gun totally works.  And is a quick short cut.  Place your water spout pieces down and glue in place.  (I always placed the matte down over top to see if my placement was good before gluing anything down.)

Then cut out the shapes for your spider, umbrella, and raindrops.  I used all different textures and materials.  Anything works though…….use up your stash!

Then place your spider down on the burlap and arrange the legs how you’d like them.  (I just bent the twine to get the bend in each leg.)

Then lift the body off carefully and glue a foot down to each end.  Then place the body down with glue, sealing in the top end of each leg with it.

Now, glue your umbrella down in place………and then add the top arms and hands, attached to the umbrella.  (I tucked the other end of each arm underneath the body fabric.)

Then add eyes, nose, and mouth out of felt.

To finish it off, I stitched out some lettering with my machine (feed dogs down) and glued it to some burlap and then down to the matte.  (You could also hand stitch some lettering or print the title off on the computer.)

It certainly makes your book come to life a bit more.  And will put a big smile on your face.

Now make another one or two from the book.  Or choose another book and make a scene to match.

But have fun………..and enjoy your favorite book scenes inside a frame.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Baby, Children, Featured, Gift Ideas, Home Decor, No Sew

Comments

40 Responses to “Frame a Scene from a Children’s Book: Guest Posting over on ‘No Big Dill’ today”

This is absolutely adorable. I so wish that I could create like this.

Allison A says:

That is darling. Great Idea!

Leigh Ann says:

This is a beautiful idea and one the children will enjoy for years!

Laura says:

I love it! That’s so cute I wish I had a room to hang it in at my house.

April in Alaska says:

this is my favorite book, and i love this author! Thanks so much for the great tutorial. I want to do this and make a few more to decorate my daughters room. She loves this book. You inspired me!

AMY says:

That is so adorable!
    I might have to make one. :)
    Yes, I am making my Christmas presents this year…..
    Maybe i’ll make this for somebody. :) too cute.

Katie says:

I love this idea! I can see it working so well with something by Eric
    Carle…..hmmmm, do I have time to add anything else to my to do list?

Elisabeth says:

This is adorable!! How did you get the shapes cut? Did you trace? I love this idea. Very creative and original!

Elisabeth says:

For some reason I didn’t see the whole post at first but once I posted my comment (above) I saw it. So you don’t have to answer any of my questions. Your post did a thorough job of it.

Thanks!

OMG- I love this idea! Even more, I LOVE this book. My son got it for his birthday this year and I fell in love love love with it!! I have even created it into a full song. Really terrible though when that song gets stuck in my head and I walk around singing it… Without the kids.. LOL!! :)

You are an inspiration!

Great idea and it looks lovely!

AJ says:

What a fantastic clever idea! I must do this for my grandson he has several favorite books. Thanks for sharing this project. AJ@queenofmynest

Shirley L says:

I absolutely love this!

louise says:

Very Cute! We have this book as well and I love it becuase of the ‘stitched’ look to it! Love what you did with it!

Jill says:

My goodness, this is one of the cutest things I’ve seen!! We don’t have this book. Oh, I’d love to do this same idea. Thank you so much for the inspiration. I’m not really sure how I got to your blog…hmmmm…

Kati says:

Great idea! My daughter LOVES that song right now too! Would be a great gift for a baby shower or first birthday too!

This idea is charming, and YES, it definitely would make a complementary addition to a nursery. It also would be a fun project for older girls or boys to make for younger ones as gifts. :)

Dominique says:

I am going to order that book! I had no idea it existed! It’s my son’s favourite song – and there’s tickling involved as Itsy climbs back up the spout again …..thanks so much Ashley!

krista says:

I LOVE this!!! I love the idea of giving art along with the book. What a fantastic idea!!! :) Thanks for the inspiration!

Justine says:

Love everything about this….going to have to make a few myself….someday!

Mindy says:

such a great idea! perfect shower/new baby gift of the book with the framed scene! pinning…

Jenny says:

So So cute! LOVE IT!!

Allie says:

How incredibly cute is this?! You did such a fabulous job. i just bought that book this year for my kindergarten students. how cute would this idea be to decorate a classroom library or a kids’ room! I just pinned it. :)

Penelope says:

Sweet. I know just the book to do this with. My little girls just adore the pictures from it and I’ve been toying with the idea of doing something with it for a while now. And yes, our entire Christmas is homemade this year. My 14 year old is getting your turtle, but I had the pattern enlarged so it is going to be a huge cushion. I can’t wait to get that one made!

Thanks for sharing so much, I’m using so many patterns/tutorials/ideas from generous people like yourself.

Cortney says:

So sweet. Never seen that book, gotta go find i for my little guys!

Amanda says:

This would be so precious in my son’s nursery! I’m so grateful for you sharing this idea! Loving decorating on a budget!!

Melissa says:

What a sweet idea! Just divine :)

Laura says:

Ashley,
    The picture you made is absolutely great! So many wonderful details! Also the book itself is impressive.
    I want since quite some time to create self made book for my little nephew and niece. Now when I see your art piece I am inspired! Thank you very much for sharing this tutorial!

Marie says:

First off, what a cute version of that book. Second, darling idea to craft a scene from a book! Love it!

Cecilia says:

This is sooo adorable! I’m going to use the same idea but instead of crafting a scene from a book, I’m going to craft a picture that my daughter has drawn and hang it in her room. She often draws pictures on such little scraps of paper and I’m always afraid they will get lost! Now I know how to preserve them forever- I think maybe I’ll put the original picture somehow in the frame, next to it, or maybe even on the back. Thanks for the idea! You’re great!

aida says:

I love this!

NoWickCandle says:

I love this book too!! If only my boy loved it as much as I do!! Very cute idea!

Kate says:

I just copied your idea with paper! SO much fun!

Kate Craig says:

I just copied this idea with paper! Thanks! My family thinks it’s the cutest thing!

XrMsDD says: