Sewing Tips: Installing a Basic Zipper

First of all, I loved hearing about your potty stories that you shared with me here.  I kept laughing and laughing.  I love that we all have so much in common.  So many of you are going through the potty training blues with either your own kids, a grandchild, a niece/nephew, and/or a friend’s child etc.  Hang in there…..and let me know how it goes.  Especially the stories that may not be funny at the moment but you can laugh at later! Ha.

. . . . .

I know…..zippers can seem scary.

Have you been avoiding them?

And substituting buttons, snaps, hook/eye, or velcro?

If so, you just need to show those little boogers that you’re the boss.

Seriously, they’re not terribly hard…….they just take a little practice.

And they really can be pretty useful.

You can use the basic zipper for clothing, pillow openings, pouches, totes, etc.

And besides, a cheery little zipper can always perk up a project.

Also, if you only have a super long zipper on hand that’s just too long for your project…….don’t run to the store.  Use what you have.

Want to learn a bit more about  basic zippers?

First of all, you will mostly likely need a zipper foot to sew in a zipper.  They are narrow in size and have a notch on the left for the needle and a notch on the right.  This is so that the presser foot can butt up right next to the zipper, making a seam really close to that zipper.

Now, depending on you project, this construction of how you attach your zipper may be a bit different.  But here’s the basic idea.

Here are the two pieces of fabric that I am wanting to zip together.

First, I finished off the two edges that I wanted to zip together with a serged seam (zig-zag works too) and then sewed those two sides together (with right sides together), using a 5/8 inch seam allowance……and a long stitch length (basting stitch).

(Use whatever seam allowance you were given or that you allowed yourself if you made your own pattern.)

Then, turn to the ‘wrong’ side and iron the two edges open flat.

Now, you will most likely have a starting and stopping point for your zipper on the fabric.  It may be the top edge of the fabric or a 1/2 inch down, etc.  Wherever it is, place the end where it needs to begin and place your zipper face down.  Then line up the center of the zipper teeth along the center of that open seam.  Place some scotch tape along the back of the zipper and as you center your zipper, lay it down and secure with the tape.

*You can use pins to hold your zipper in place as well.  I just like tape because it’s less bulky.  Give it a try if you never have before.  :)

Gradually make your way all the way down the zipper, checking to be sure the zipper it is centered right along the seam…..and continue placing pieces of tape.

(And for using my technique [in the next few steps] don’t place a piece of tape right where the actual zipper pull is and about 2 inches below that either.  You’ll understand in the steps ahead. )

Then flip the fabric over and place a pin right above where the bottom of the zipper is.  This will just show you where the end is because you don’t want to sew over the metal (or thick plastic) piece at the end of the zipper.

I always start at the bottom of the zipper and work my way towards the top.

So first, position your needle all the way over to the left (so you don’t break your needle) and now you’re ready to begin sewing along the right side of the seam.  Slide your fabric (right side up) underneath the presser foot and find the pin you used to mark the bottom of the zipper.  Now, every zipper teeth width is different……so feel how far out your zipper teeth come and sew just to the right of them, not on them.  Whatever distance away from the teeth you use, just make it consistent as you sew along the zipper.  Back stitch a time or two and then start sewing.

Keep sewing all the way down the zipper until you are about 2 inches from the end.

Now, keep your needle down in the fabric and then lift the presser foot and lift up the fabric.

And un-zip the zipper until it’s just behind the needle and out of the way.  (This is why you didn’t use tape on the back right here where the zipper pull was.) Unzipping will get that chunky zipper pull out of the way while sewing.  It just bugs me when sewing…..but some people just sew around it.  Do what you like best.

Now, re-align the center seam of the fabric so that it’s slightly more to the left.  Then continue sewing and backstitch at the end.

**I do this to give more fabric to cover the zipper pull after it’s all zipped up.  Again, this is just preference.  If you don’t mind, just keep the seam aligned down the center of the zipper and sew to the end.

Now, switch your needle alignment all the way to the right.

Turn your fabric a quarter turn so that you can sew along the bottom of the zipper.  Sew back and forth a few times, to secure the end of the zipper section on the fabric.

Then turn the fabric again so that you can start sewing along the other side of the zipper.  Sew right along the left side of the zipper, just like you did along the right……making sure you sew the same distance from that center seam.  Stop again, 2 inches from the end, leaving your needle down in the fabric.  Then unpick that center seam until just beyond the back of the zipper foot.

Unzip the zipper so that it’s out of the way and just behind the zipper foot…….and then move the edge of the fabric just over to the right a bit, to give extra room for the zipper head on this side too.  Continue sewing to the very end and backstitch.

Now, flip the fabric over and pull up the tape.

Now unpick that center seam.

And then pull on the zipper to be sure it works.

Whew, it does!

Now, fold under the top edge and sew in place, add a band to cover the top raw edge (like shown above), or follow whatever directions you’re using.

One last tip:

Are you working on a project and need an 8 inch zipper……but only have a 22 inch zipper??

No worries…….just slide that zipper under your regular zipper foot right at the length that you need the zipper to be and use your widest zig-zag stitch (with your stitch length set to ’0′) and sew several stitches right there at that spot.  This will clamp the zipper shut right at this spot.

And now you can cut your zipper off, right below those stitches.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Featured, Sewing, Sewing Tips

Comments

193 Responses to “Sewing Tips: Installing a Basic Zipper”
    Melissa says:

Tape! GENIUS. I’ve been sewing zippers for years trying to compensate for how the pins can off-center it.

Christy says:

Thank You for giving us such an easy tutorial. I sew just about everything BUT zippers and really wanted some help. THANK YOU!!

Lynette says:

I learned this trick in a bernina class, but it’s great to see it in pictures so I can remember! Thanks!

I love the tape trick. That is awesome! I usually use a Sewline pen and do it exactly as you described!

Kira says:

I just finished my daughters Strawberry Shortcake costume for Halloween. I used your tutorial on adding a pleated skirt to a t-shirt and appliqued a stawrberry on it. Now on to the leggins with the ruffle fabric from a tutorial i saw somewhere. Oh ya, from you! You rock!

Addie says:

I would like to know how to install a hidden zipper. Do you know how?

Dolores Kern says:

I have used hidden zippers that come with instructions. They take a special foot that usually are available at the same store. So very easy even I can use them.

I’ve sewn zippers before but I have not been doing it correctly because I never had anyone teach me; I’m a sort of self-taught sewer-girl. This is so much better than how I’ve been doing it! Thank you! I am so glad I found your blog. I have learned SO much!

MelissaJo says:

I too am a self taught do it all and am also glad I found this. What a simpler way to go than what I’ve been doing. I wouldn’t say I’ve been sewing zippers wrong, just not the easiest way. This is awesome and so much quicker.

Kathy Patterson says:

This is great! I’m one who is afraid of zippers – but I’m going to give it a try! Thanks for all you do.

Taylor says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial!!! It is a blessing to have things explained in such a clear way.

In Christ Alone…

Kate C says:

Great, I just figured out how to sew a zipper for the first time last week…before you wrote this post. :( I would have loved to get the gist of it from your pictures because just seeing how to position it would have helped. However, I did learn to baste the zipper to the seam allowance before sewing on the right side of the fabric, and I think it produces a better product in the end…but I also understand that this is the “basic tutorial”. And it helped me with me with just that, the basics.

I have not read this yet, but i just wanted to say – THANK YOU SO MUCH for choosing to do this one, i have been avoiding it like the plague.

Sophia says:

Hi Ashley,

I love you clear instructions and easy way to sew in a zip. After you have sewing in the zip do you remove the tape that hold the zipper into place or do you leave it on. If you remove the tape what is the best way to do this. I am not very good at sewing in zips but thanks to your clear instructions I am sure I can achieve this goal. Thank you

Sophia says:

Are there different ways to sew in zippers and which is the easiest way.

Kimberly G says:

The tape is GENIUS!! That is going to save me so much time and frustration in sewing zippers! You rock.

Annastacia says:

I love this so much I want to go find an excuse to put a zipper on something! Once again great tutorial. Thank you.

Blanca says:

Thank You so much for the tutorial!! I’ve sewed 2 zippers so far and both I had to re-due multiple times because I did them wrong. Your way seems so much easier and definitely less intimidating. Thank You.

I’ve never seen it done this way! I am scared of zippers but this seems doable.

Tara says:

This is perfect timing, I’m sewing my daughter’s Halloween costume and have everything done but the zipper. I’ve been too intimidated up til now, so thank you so much for this!

Rachel says:

I needed this tutorial a few weeks ago! I installed my first zipper, and let’s just say there were tears, throwing things, and lots and lots of unpicking. Now I have a great tutorial for next time! :)

Nicki says:

Any good ideas on where to find super long zippers? Like, at least a yard? I want to put one on the opening of my son’s teepee, but haven’t been able to find a good source.

Jamie says:

You could check with one of the YKK authorized sellers on etsy. Maybe they can get one for your from their supplier. Or, you could upcycle one from a thrift store sleeping bag or tent?
      Good luck!
      Jamie

Wendy says:

Your local fabric store should be able to get you one, too. I used one once to make a sleeping bag out of my husband’s camo poncho liner back in the day. Still works!

Michele N says:

Check the upholstery section of your local fabric store. I recently found a long section at JoAnn’s that had multiple zipper heads on it that you can cut to length. I used it for 2 chair cushions and still have some left.

Stephanie says:

Sullivans sells a ‘Make-A-Zipper’ in 5.5 yd Reels at amazon.com and costs around $16. The zipper comes on a roll 5.5 yards long and has 12 zipper pulls attached. If you want to cut a zipper 1 yard long, you make sure that one zipper pull is attached to the first yard of zipper and all others are pushed away. Cut the zipper where desired and reinforce each cut end so the zipper pulls don’t fall off. The instructions on the roll explain how to do this easily.

However, I don’t recommend inserting the zipper horizontally and zig-zagging across the cut end (as illustrated on the roll). Your needle could insert itself into the zipper, pulling it apart. Instead, follow Ashley’s instructions above for reinforcing the end of the zipper. Adjust your zig zag position to be as wide as possible and your stitch length to be near zero. This way, your needle goes across each side of the zipper and not through it and ensures your zipper pull ain’t goin’ nowhere!

• 18.4.1
        Dolores Kern says:

I found out that at an “uphoistery shop”, you can get some zipper stops made of metal. Very easy to use. The one I went to gave me several at no cost. He said he gets them from a wholesaler for his business. It looks a little like a staple with two pointed parts on either side. You push into the zipper tape and fabric where you need and than bend the pointed prongs tightly. Works like a charm. I keep the extras that I was given in a med. bottle.

Kitkat says:

I buy duvet cover zippers at my local fabric store.

Steph says:

American Science and Surplus had long zippers for about $0.75 last time we visited!

Shelly says:

Stan’s Sewing (www.stanssewingsupplies.com) has a huge variety of zippers at great prices, including zippers by the inch.

Katherine says:

Hobby Lobby sells a zipper that you can cut to any length. They also have the slider so that you can finish making the zipper. I hope you have a Hobby Lobby close to you.

Maggie says:

Along with the other suggestions … you can find zippers at outdoors-gear sewing places such as Seattle Fabrics and Rainshed (they both have websites – just use their name with (dot)com after it.) Happy Sewing, Maggie

Andrea says:

You rock my socks off… I was totally thinking the other day that I wish you would do a tutorial on zippers because you always make everything so much easier… I have totally been avoiding zippers but I’m all in now! Thanks so much!

Sona Jacob says:

Wow! That’s neat!

Melanie says:

You know, I learned how to sew a zipper from the zipper package… but I’ve been thinking recently that a zipper with coverage on both teeth sides should be how they show it. After I pull dresses from the wash, the fabric coverage has always gone funky and I can see the zipper plain as day and have to iron it. I liked your tip of sewing the pieces together and unpicking, I usually just pin.

Monica says:

thank you very much for this little great tip… I´m also a self – taught sewer and I often use zippers in bags and totes, but I never dared to sew a zipper with coverage…
    tape is such a great idea!!!
    I love your blog and your tips, thanks again!!

anilegra says:

que gran idea ,te enlazaré la próxima vez que ponga algo que requiera cremallera

Amy W. says:

Zippers, be not proud. I’ve got this….Thanks!

Erika R. says:

THANK YOU for this tutorial!!! I am totally intimidated by zippers but want to conquer them! I’m on it!

Wani says:

Woww!Its genius! Thank you so much. I’ve always got problem with zippers.Not anymore.. hopefully :)

Jamie says:

I just wanted to post and tell you how AMAZING you are!!!!!!
    Im new to the sewing club and I came across your blog by a link of another link and I honestly visit your blog everyday! My mother was an awesome sewer herself when i was growing up and after the birth of my first…. I decided to buy a sewing machine, and of course she wouldn’t let me get just any ol’ machine it had to be a very high qualitly one. Anyhow just about everything Ive made sofar, I’ve used your advice!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Kris says:

Wow, that looks really doable! Normally if I need a zipper on something I go with an invisible zipper because I know how to put those in but regular zippers, especially where it’s neat and covered like your tutorial, have been a real mystery for me.

Emily says:

This is very helpful but I can only find tips for this kind of zipper, would it work about the same for a seperating zipper? I slapped one into my daughter’s Halloween costume all willynilly! It looks bad but it works and will be hidden by her cape and only used a couple times but I’d like to know how to do it in the future. Any suggestions oh Sewing Idol?

Michelle says:

I love the tape idea! Pins just don’t work right for zippers.

Wendy says:

Scotch Tape! Who knew!!! I’ve been sewing for, um, a while and never thought to use tape. Pins just get in the way and knock my careful placement out of whack. Thanks for a great tip!!!

Jackie says:

I have a project I want to do and it requies installing a zipper. I have never inserted a zipper before so thanks for the information. It will definitely come in very handy.

Teresa says:

Thank-you very much!

Pam says:

Nice tutorial. I like the tape trick and can’t wait to try that one. My zipper foot is chunky and I really don’t like it. I like the narrow ones much better. I am sure there must be a trick I haven’t worked out yet with this chunky foot.

Kristina Noall says:

Haha. I saw the title of this one and thought, “I already know how to do that.” And then I learned a lot about how to do it BETTER and easier. :) Great tutorial, as usual!

vIO says:

MERCIIIIIIIIIIIIII!!!!!

Jen says:

Great tutorial! Never knew this. Now…I was given a hood with a broken zipper and I want to fix it. How do I install that type?

Oksana says:

Thank you! It is great!
    What kind of tape do you use? I am afraid the needle will stick in the tape glue, no?

Tish says:

O-M-G, you must be a mind reader or something! I just put a refashion project back in the To Do Pile because it needs a zipper and I don’t know how to do one and just commented to a non-sewing friend yesterday that I REEEEAAALLLY need to learn how to sew a zipper! Thank you soooo much!

Sarah Moeri says:

!!!! This is so exciting to me! I have attempted to put a zipper in on a couple of occasions and, being a novice sewer, I never got it right. It’s been a couple of years since I’ve tried (due to a fear of failure ;0). I love these tips! The tape! “Sew” smart! And even following direction from a pattern, I didn’t get the memo on sewing the fabric together only to pick it out later! Super helpful, thank you!

Jess says:

Thank you, this was super helpful!

Melissa says:

Zippers are my achilles heel… I will have to give this a try and see if it’s any better! Thank you!

Ione says:

Thank you!!!!!!
    Ione

Thank you for this… It is true… I am a little terrifed of zippers.

aimee says:

Thank you so much! I do zippers so infrequently that I always forget how to do them – this is getting bookmarked for sure!

Helllow!!!!!

thank you! thank you !! thank you!!

As vezes na correria do dia – a – dia, a gente não lembra como deve costurar um zíper, mas, com esse DYI, está perfeito!

Thanks!!

Susie

Danae says:

I sew a fair bit, but zippers always scare me. (Also, button holes– you want to do a tutorial about those? Ugh.) I do a lot to avoid them (including making a skirt for myself 3 sizes too big so I could just use elastic and slide it over my hips– which works, but then it’s all gappy around my waist. I should have just put in the zipper the pattern called for.) My seams always get all wiggly and crooked, and I usually get fabric caught somewhere it doesn’t belong. Your way looks a lot easier, and the tape idea is genius. I may be brave enough to give zippers another try! Thanks!

jen says:

Wow- what a great tutorial. I have never come across one that is so great! I don’t think I will be afraid of zippers any longer! Thanks Again,
    Jen

Irena says:

Excellent tutorial! I’ve been always wondering how to work around that chunky part of the zipper. Using tape is awesome. Thank you very much!

Julie says:

Where has the tape trick been all my life?!? I’ve been pinning in zippers for 20 years and have hated every minute of it. It’s so hard to pin the zipper straight from the top when you can’t see if it’s still lined up. I’m making my daughter’s halloween costume and will definitely be trying the tape trick to put the zipper in. Thank you so much!!!

AndreaR says:

Thank you for posting this! I have 2 skirts that need ‘invisible’ zippers replaced and I have been DREADING it! Now I think I might be able to sit and brave sewing them in. :-)

Jackie says:

I completed my project that required installing a zipper. I kept the information from this tutorial in mind and didn’t have a problem with the zipper part, aside from sewing the first side and realized I had put the zipper on backwards, completely my fault for not paying attention. The entire project came together quickly and the zipper works, so it’s a winner! I had never put in a zipper before so I was amazed that I didn’t have any complications with it. For my first time sewing in a zipper, I was very proud of how it came out, and that it worked, and that it was fairly straight, and that I did it without a zipper foot. I’m sure with more practice it would have come out a lot better.

Kari Johnson says:

Thanks for the tutorial. I need to fix a broken one on my son’s Halloween costume before tonight! Thanks for the tips…wish me luck!

Danielle says:

awesome! Thanks so much. I need to sew a zipper this weekend and was wondering what to do. Thanks!

Janice says:

What a great tutorial! Thanks! Zippers are scary to me. Like the boogy man. But now, with a little tape and a seam ripper, I think I can take ‘em!

june gower says:

How can I Tell u after all these years I now know how to put a zip in shirts skirts etc this easy(thank u for your tutorial letter.I now know where to come if I need help again.Thank u once again.

julide says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial!!
    from Turkey

Best Zipper Tute EVER!!!!

Lisa a says:

I nevEr thought to use tape, friggin genius!

Tracey says:

Until now, I have refused to make anything with a zipper. This tutorial finally makes sense to me and I promise to try it in the near future.

Hi, Just found your blog is really nice and thanks for your sharing.. I really learn a lot from your blog.. I’m still awaiting for my first sewing machine coming on next mth, hope I can success to sew with my sewing machine. ^^
    all the best!!

Jamie says:

Fantastic! The way I was taught to do is SO much more complicated. This will save me SO much time! Thank you, thank you!

Rachel says:

Oh wow, I have been sewing for YEARS and I have never, ever seen such a great tutorial on sewing in a zipper! Thanks SO much!!!

Sara says:

This is the best zipper tutorial I’ve found! Your instructions and photos are incredibly helpful–you have a knack for sewing AND communicating instructions. Thanks so much!

daniel says:

heyyyyyy this was soooo great lol

Stacey says:

Well, this is just way too awesome not to try. Thanks for this!

bronzeb says:

OMG! If only you knew how much easier my sewing trials have become! I saw this in my Sewing For Dummies (lol) book but the picS and tutorial were especially helpful! thanks

Ciara says:

I could NOT install a zipper before this tutorial! Thanks.

Julianne says:

Does the tape tear or how does it come off?

Nichole says:

Tape? I have been sewing for 20 years and never thought of tape other than to tape the pattern with the fabric or directions for altering.

Barbara says:

Wow. You’re doing it the hard way! Try this: treat your zipper as if it was any other fabric by placing it and the fabric right sides together, then sew the seam. Turn and press. If you are not making clothing where you don’t want it to show, then edgestitch it like the pros do. It takes only seconds, literally. I used to teach sewing and making a small lined cosmetic bag using this method was my most popular class! No tape, no pins; just you, the zipper, your fabric and sewing machine. (I love my Bernina too.)

Try it. Bet you’ll love it! :-)

Claire says:

I LOVE YOU!!!!!

Hillary says:

I LOVE this tutorial, thank you! Any tips for those of us who want an exposed zipper? I am horrible at making both sides even!

Ayesha says:

After browsing through several blogs with information of zippers that was vague written and used very complex terminology, I’m fortunate to have stumbled upon your brilliant blog – I really needed to conquer this formerly-dreaded area of mine, and your precise, detailed instructions made this not so daunting! Thank you very much! Would definitely recommend your site to friends! :)

Claire says:

Great tutorial! The only thing I would add is when you cut off a long zipper the end really frays like mad. I take a lighter and lightly burn the cut end and it is non-fraying. I think zipper tape is nylon which really frays unless burned at the edges. About one second of heat and it melts.

Lullabye Lady says:

Awesome! Excellent easy to follow instructions. Can’t wait to get started! Thank you for taking the time to post this!

Teri says:

I remember zippers being MUCH scarier when my mom taught me! I’m so glad you posted this tutorial! It’s making the Halloween costume-making SO much easier!! :D

julianne says:

Just found your tutorial for sewing a zipper and i can’t THANK YOU enough! I’ve tried sewing a zipper once and it was a disaster! So i thought i just couldn’t do it :( So thanks for such clear instructions this opens up SO many options of stuff i can sew now :D
    Question….is is hard to sew a zipper on a dress that has half the zipper on the bodice and the other half going down the skirt? I’d really love your thoughts on that!
    thanks again!

Stephanie says:

I’m not sure I get it. You sew over/through the tape? Then how do you get the tape off? Don’t you have to pick it out from under the stitching?

Stephennie says:

Hello, great idea. But i am having a moment, how do i open the zipper if everythingn is sewed together?

Thanks,
    from Germany

Katie R says:

I just used this tutorial to put a zipper in a fleece boppy cover! When I went to unpick the seam, I could hardly see it, but it worked out just fine, thank goodness. My boppy cover looks professional and I am so proud of myself! Thanks so much for the help. Now I get to use this method in other ways — I usually HATE to put in zippers!

Theresa Waun says:

You have explained this perfect, and what an idea to use tape, thank you so much, I have always had a hard time with zippers, gonna try this!! thanks again!!!!!

Deanna J says:

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial, I just put in my first zipper and it looks great! Love your website!

Laura says:

THANKYOU!
    I just made my first zipped cushion, I have been putting it off for a while but your tutorial was excellent, thankyou again!

Hello–

I posted a pencil case mini-tutorial on my blog, and I used your zipper installation tutorial! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, and stop by blog to check it out if you get a chance.

Wow, thanks for this tutorial! The pattern I’m using for a floor cushion/pouf doesn’t call for a zipper, but I just put one in so the cover can be removed. It came out perfect. Thank you so much.

kare says:

I like this tutorial. One addition, though, to help get a straighter sewing line, place tape the whole length of your zipper on the right side of your piece so that the seam falls exactly in the middle of the tape. This will give you a nice straight guide for sewing.

Rochelle says:

I sew my zippers like this all of the time…definitely is the best way to sew a zipper!

Janet Wood says:

HI

Will the tape not affect the needle of the sewing machine such as gum it all up ?
    Just wondering, thanks

Sewing Sarah says:

Just used this guide to sew my FIRST EVER garment…a pretty, spring A-line skirt. Thank you for your help!

With a little altering, I think I can use hand stitching for this tutorial. :)

Kelly says:

Thank you for the great tutorial. It saved my project. Just a note in response to the questions in the comments about how the tape comes off – the needle perforates the tape on both sides so you end up ripping each piece off in three pieces (left, middle, right). Comes off pretty easily. At least that’s how it worked for me. So much cleaner than other methods I’ve tried. Thanks again!

Rachael Minty says:

I forgot to unzip the zipper…

Don’t forget to unzip the zipper!!!

Stacy O says:

I used to sew ALL the time, 20 years ago. I installed my first zipper last night for the first time in all that time. And then I ripped it out. And then I googled installing a zipper. Well, maybe the problem was I have always sewn them on the back side and when I flipped them over, well sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn’t. Thank you for this so so easy solution. And the tape? New since I was sewing…getting some today ! Old dog CAN learn new tricks.

Ivy says:

I find invisible zippers easy… so I was hesitant with a regular one.. but wow, great tutorial, and my zippers look good.

Niki says:

Most useful sewing tutorial I have ever used. I put in my very first zipper. It turned out perfect, so TJANK YOU!!!

Joanna says:

Thank you thank you thank you. I just sewed my first zip. It was a success!!!! I’m changing a fabulous maxi dress into a maxi skirt as The dress is too big for me now. All I have to do now is some darts…

Melzeem says:

Being a new sew-er, can I do the “pre-stitch” on satin without leaving holes? I’m making a pillow cover and I’m still wary, even after reading your tutorial.

Icecreamforpudding says:

Thanks, your photos help to make it really clear. I have a question though. My zip doesn’t have an end or a top, if you know what I mean. I can just sew over the bottom, to close it off, but what do I do at the top, to stop the zipper head disappearing off the end?

Thanks

Narinder kaur sohi says:

I like your method of sewing

Celia says:

Thank you so much. That is a beautiful tutorial.

omg i have to do gcse design technology and you have just saved my life!!! i might even get an A. Thank you soo much :) xxxx

B(r)ouillon says:

thanks! this is exactly what I was looking for!

Meari says:

I learned how to do zippers the same way in high school sewing classes. Great job on the tutorial. And thanks for the tape tip. I may have to try that one.

Mae says:

Thanks so much for this tutorial! I have never sewed a zipper on before, and though the stitching lines ended up a bit crooked and I didn’t have a zipper foot the result is still really good! Can’t even tell it’s my first zipper ;)

liz bryenton says:

Good afternoon – I came across your EXTREMELY HELPFUL hints and tutorial for inserting a zip. I have not sewn a garment for almost 37yrs and, I confess, in the past I had to literally psyche myself up to inserting a zip – it either went in first go or took several goes – and not a few deleted expletives! I have just followed your method and am a very happy stitcher – thank you. Now, if I can find the same idea for inserting sleeves (which, in the past followed the same vein as my zips), I will be even happier. In this my 68th year I hope to get back to making my own clothes which stand some chance of fitting. Thank you once again – Regards – LIZ

Elisabeth says:

Fantastic tutorial…can you do buttonholes next? :)

yalla says:

thanks this worked heaps good with the tape

eryena says:

kamarlowete says:

I did it! You were right, it’s simple. Oh my stars! I didn’t argue with my beloved machine at all!

Reb says:

Thank-you sooooo much for making these extremely easy to follow instructions, I would never attempted a zipper if you hadn’t made it look so easy!
    Thanks a bunch.

MelissaJo says:

Oh thank you thank you! I am right in the middle of a skirt for my daughter and usually opt for buttons or hooks, but now that I know I can do zippers much easier than usual, well, this girl is puttin’ in a zipper on this skirt! My daughter will love it! Thanks again, for the tutorial. Oh, you’re just awesome for sharing the know how.

Ruby says:

Thanks…. Just did my first zipper since 8th grade… Hint… a very long time ago, when the girls took home economics and the boys took shop… and it went very smoothly.

Extremely clear instructions and photos!

makalove says:

Oh my goodness!! My mom tried to teach me to sew when I was a kid but I never paid much attention. I didn’t really start sewing until I was in my 30s. I have avoided zippers almost entirely!! I came here on a Google search for clear zipper installation instructions because I’m making a set of meditation cushions with removable covers and a zipper seemed nicest. You made it so easy, I’ve decided to make some more to sell!

Merollet says:

Just wondering, when sewing the zipper with the tape, does the tape get stitched with the zipper?

Michelle B. says:

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Trazy says:

I just did my first zipper, thanks to you! It turned out perfect!

Bettie Rage says:

Thank you for this tutorial! I stopped using patterns long ago and now design my own clothes, and I use a lot of knits that don’t really require fasteners. A friend gave me some gorgeous purple fabric, which is turning into a lovely dress, but I haven’t installed a zipper in a good five years. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me to just sew the pieces together then rip the stitch. You’ve saved me a huge headache!

Nessa Jay says:

A great tutorial, thank you for sharing. I’ve done a little bit of sewing here and there these past few years but I’ve never attempted adding zippers. I might just try it now. :D

Kim says:

I’m that girl…adding buttons and Velcro, but this time I NEED a zipper. Thanks for making it look less scary! Off to give it a go! :)