Pumpkin Jars: Add treats, candles, or nothing at all…

I have finally admitted that October is here to stay.

I can’t believe it crept up so fast.  But, now that it is 1/3 over……I have been forced to say it’s October.  I need to get cutting and sewing some Halloween costumes.  Like, pronto.   I really want to get them all finished this week……………so that means they’ll be done by next week. Ha.

In the mean time, I saw some really cute pumpkin jars on Martha Stewart, here.  And had to make them faster than fast.  My process was just a bit different……but they turned out great!

Hmmmmm………which neighbor/friend of mine needs some Halloween-y goodness?

Can you just imagine all the things you could stuff these with?

Or leave them plain and use them for Halloween decor.  Either way…….they’re just simple and cute.

The paint did take a looooong time to dry…..but other than that, they only took a few easy steps.

What a fun time of year…

Would you like to make your own Pumpkin Jars?

Remember, these jars originated on Martha Stewart here.  I just adapted it a bit for me.

Okay, I’m going to try and remember to add supply lists at the top of each project from now on.

I probably won’t be able to go back and add them to past posts……but onward and upward, right?

Supplies needed:

• small glass jars, varying is shape and size (baby food, mustard, artichoke hearts, etc.)
  • Goo Gone (or other product to remove the sticky labels)
  • acrylic paint
  • wire
  • black vinyl (or masking tape and black sharpie)
  • vinyl cutter or exacto knife or scissors

Note: My jars took 2 days to dry completely.  Allow for enough time to let your jars dry before filling with anything.

First of all, empty out and thoroughly wash each glass jar.  Use your Goo Gone (or similar product) to remove the sticky label from the outside of each jar.  Allow each jar to dry completely.

I purchased an orange and a yellow color acrylic paint, to give variety to my shades of orange.  Whatever color you choose, you’ll need to add a little water to your paint, to thin it down just a bit.  You don’t want it watery or it will look clear-ish on your jar.  Leave it just thick enough to be able to spread around the insides of the jar.

Mix your paint color with the water until well blended.

Next, pour a good portion of the thinned paint into your empty jar.

Roll the jar around until the paint has completely covered the inside of the jar.

Then pour the excess paint back into your bowl, turning the jar as you pour…..coating the inner neck of the jar as well.

Next, gently shake the extra drippings of paint back into the bowl.  The more you get out, the less time it will take to dry.

(Mine took 2 days to completely dry.  I should have shaken more!!)

Then use a paper towel to wipe any paint that may have dripped onto the outside of the jar.  Use a wet paper towel as well to get it extra clean.

Then allow your jars to dry completely.  This may take a day or two (2 for me)……or more, I suppose (it just depends on how thick the paint was inside).

Now…..for the faces.  If you have a vinyl cutter (i.e. Silhouette) then you can use some jack o’ lantern images and cut them out for your jars.  If you don’t, you could always free hand some faces with a pair of scissors…….which would work just fine since jack ‘o lantern faces are always imperfect.  Or you can follow the technique shown by Martha.

For me, I used my Silhouette and cut out my face shapes.  I peeled away the negative space (shown on left) and then applied some transfer paper (which is just like masking tape….just not as sticky) and stuck it to the top side (the non-sticky side) of my vinyl face.  Then I peeled back the transfer paper, which pulled the face with it.

Then I centered the face on one side of the jar and pressed it down firmly with my fingers.  Then I peeled back the transfer paper, leaving the face behind.

Use whatever method works best for you to apply your jack o’ lantern face.

Then, cut a piece of wire that was long enough for a handle, plus an extra 1/2 inch on each end.  Fold up each end a half inch and leave a little opening at the ends……and then twist the rest around the main part of the wire. (shown on the left)

Then cut another piece that will fit around the neck of the jar…..plus a few extra inches so that you can twist the ends together. (shown on the right)

Slide the handle piece onto the other piece, through the little holes at each end of the handle piece.

Then wrap the other piece around the neck of the jar and twist the two ends closed.  Use pliers to get it twisted nice and tight, trim off the excess, then bend the ends toward the jar.

Now make a few more.

And enjoy.

Filed under Featured, Gift Ideas, Holiday, Home Decor, No Sew, Re-purposing, Silhouette Craft Cutter

Comments

44 Responses to “Pumpkin Jars: Add treats, candles, or nothing at all…”

Oh, my! It´s mind blowing, I love them!!! I´m onto it before Halloween is here!

Nancy says:

Wow, that easy!?! No wonder you didn’t have any paint streaks, I like your method of painting your jars! Thanks for sharing.

brittany says:

cute! I have so many baby food jars that I have been saving for a craft project like this to come up. Thanks for sharing. I like your version.

Katie says:

Cute! And just curious…am I still considered a neighbor? ;o) We are neighboring states I guess!

Lynnae says:

Too cute! I bet you could put the jars in an oven on the lowest setting and get them to dry quicker that way!

Natalie says:

Um … definitely going to try and do these for my kiddos at school. So cute!! Now … to find the jars …

Kel in Oz says:

We don’t really do Halloween here in Oz, but I think I could adapt them! I love them! I knew I’d been hoarding those jars for a reason!!! :-)

And how clever of you to have a .gif showing how you poor the paint back out :-)

Wendy says:

These are adorable & I just can’t believe how easy they’ll be to make!! I NEED to try these :) Thank you for sharing

Shirley says:

Oh my gosh these are so cute!!!

Patty says:

Too cute! I love them!

Robyn says:

They also have a craft idea very similar (and more kid-friendly) to this in Family Fun magazine this month. I plan to do it with all the kids I nanny for! Here’s the link: http://familyfun.go.com/crafts/holiday-seasonal-crafts/halloween-crafts-decorations-pumpkin-carving/halloween-decorations/jar-o-lanterns-1024695/

Heidi Ceto says:

Aww CUTE!!! I have also been saving baby food jars and this is perfect!!! My son and I made some today and he really enjoyed making them! He wanted to sleep with one tonight! haha (no I didn’t let him)

A couple weeks back my son and I made some really cute felt pumpkins and I put them on my blog! You should check it out!

Ginger says:

What’s not to love about October? This is my favorite month of the year. I just love the weather!! (I’m in Texas, so we’re still in t-shirts but not hot anymore. What a thing!)

Megan says:

These turned out so cute! I am thinking that a bunch of these hung at various heights on my front porch would look great, maybe with the battery powered lights. Thank you for sharing, love it!

Hayley says:

oh my goodness! I have these!!! I made some last year, almost exactly the same! I was going to post the tut I did for it and put it up on my blog, maybe i’ll just send them your way :] your pictures are much better! I just used black felt and hot glued it on because I don’t have the fancy machine.

These are great! I think I will try them tonight! Thanks for sharing.

Annie says:

Can you just mix the paint in one of the jars and save yourself a bowl?

I really love these. Seems pretty simple except I don’t have a vinly cutter. Man oh man I wish I hada silhouette!

Silvana says:

Super original y bonito!!! muchas gracias.

Farida says:

Superb Idea………I love the jars…they are good for everything…. thanks for the tutorial!

sandy says:

When I took an acrylic painting class the teacher had us bring a hairdryer to class to dry areas so we could go on with the next area of our painting or go over the top of an area we’d painted to shade it. Perhaps this would work with the jars. Sandy

sandy says:

I forgot to mention it might be nice to put a votive candle in these. We made these lanterns without paint to hang on an arbor in the sumer and the candle light was beautiful on a summer evening. Sandy

Lori says:

These are adorable. Quick question: About how much (in ounces) acrylic paint did it take for each jar? I was thinking of ordering larger bottles online than those shown in the pic, and was wondering about how many jars I might be able to get from them. Thanks! :)

Peggy says:

Oh, so cute! I added a link to my Easy Halloween Crafts article. I’d love to add a photo too. May I?

Sarah says:

Love these! My youngest turns 1 on October 29, so we are having a Halloween themed party. I was looking for a great craft for my older kids and the nieces/nephews (age range from 2 – 11) to do, and this will be great for such a wide range of kids. The younger ones can get adult help and the older ones can do it on their own. I’ll paint the bottles this weekend with my eleven year old, and we’ll be good to go!

Allison says:

I’m gonna make these and the paper mache pumkins on the Martha Stuart webpage that you have the link to.

kids dresses says:

That’s good for Halloween giveaways. That’s so cool and very impressive. Nice artworks !

Cami says:

I totally made these and blogged about it (and you)! You are truly an inspiration. Thank you!

creatingbycami.blogspot.com

Helena says:

Awww, they look so cute and simple! I’ll make sure to make some to my children :)

Kate says:

Couldn’t you put the vinel cutouts on the inside, and then paint? Also I think a hair dryer might reduce dry time. This project would look great for any season, Snowflakes and translucent paint, fire works cut outs for 4th of july, dog bones, kids names. I just would rather put the stickers on the inside so they could be easily dusted. Man I miss my moms house full of stuff to make cooler stuff with!!!

Teena says:

I am new to this Silhouette Cameo…Do you have to purchase a template or file to cut these jackolantern faces or is there a free download somewhere? Is there a way to convert all the SVG files that I have saved on my computer to be able to cut with the Cameo Silhouette? I hate to lose all those files and never be able to use some of my favorites again! Also, is there a place or a certain file that you can download that is compatable with the Silhouette? Sorry for all the questions, I am kinda lost with the purchase so far :(

Darcy says:

Thought I would share this cute DIY on my Facebook page!

Jess says:

What type of wire did you use and where did you get it?

LOVE IT! Super fun and a great way to share treats or just to decorate a space :) Thanks for sharing.

vanditha bhat says:

really good ones i liked this creativity….

Just wanted to say thank you for the easy tutorial. I made some jars for my sis-in-laws baby shower (minus the faces!) and they were adorable! Thanks :) http://christyscustoms.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-little-pumpkin-baby-shower-cute-fall.html