It’s Octoooooober!

Can you believe it’s October?!?!

Weren’t we just slipping into swim suits? And complaining about hot afternoons? (Okay, some of you still are, I’m sure. And some of you are just beginning your warmer weather…) But, what in the world?!?! It’s October!

October begins the kick off of a string one exciting thing after another. October means crisper weather, Halloween and costumes…..which turns into November and spices and fallen leaves and, you got it, Thanksgiving………..which turns into December and talk of snow and snuggly evenings, and then hooray, Christmas time. Something starts brewing inside of me when October rolls around.

But before we get ahead of ourselves…….Halloween comes first.

Are you making costumes this year?

Hmmmm, am I? Yes.

But I’m still running a few options in my brain. Okay, the honest truth is I haven’t put much thought into it……..and just haven’t really talked to the kiddos about it. Well, and these little monkeys are more picky this year. We’ll see if I need to insert a little convincing.  3 and 4 year olds (and of course a 7 month old) can still be convinced/persuaded, right?

Looking at other costumes gets me thinking though. And then looking at the costumes I made from past years, just gets me all excited again.

Do you remember these costumes from a couple years ago?

My oldest was really into fairies and wings (okay, she still is…), so she was Tinker Bell (found here).

And then, this little guy had no opinion at all, so he was Tinker Bell’s buddy…..Peter Pan (found here).

And then last year, my little girl adored Cinderella.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen her more excited, than when this dress was finished and I slipped it over her head. It was magical.

(Cinderella dress found here and her accessories found here.)

And haha, making this Prince Charming costume had me giggling the whole time. I don’t know, there was something about making a suit for this tiny little bubble belly boy. Every time I finished a detail, I laughed. And to watch him slice the air with his sword just cracked us up every time. Prince Charming found here.

Need some really simple candy bucket ideas to match your costumes?

I turned dollar store buckets into matching candy baskets here.

And then, maybe one of the funnest costumes for myself, this pregnant skeleton.

If you want laughs and pointing fingers from strangers at the store, across a room, or while trick or treating (and you’re pregnant?)………

……….make one for yourself. (tutorial found here)

And if your husband wants in on the fun, make him one too. And fill his skeleton belly with his favorite food. Just as many laughs. (tutorial found here)

And then, I always like looking at your past costumes that you shared with me here and here.

You can always submit your handmade costumes into the Make It and Love It flickr group here.

Have you made your costume already??? If you have, go on and share. If not, you’re like me…….and may be still finalizing an idea.

(And I totally want to do a highlight of some of your costumes……maybe on October 31st. So if you’re on top of things and have a picture to share, upload it to the flickr group here. Or any time before the 31st. Can’t wait!)

Filed under Family, Featured, Sewing

Comments

28 Responses to “It’s Octoooooober!”
    Lindsay says:

My five year old daughter is set on being Master Tigress from Kung Fu Panda. Any thoughts about how I can make an easy costume for that character?

Feebie says:

You may want to try a sleeveless red shirt,a black belt,black boots and yellow “puff” pants:can’t find ‘em? get pants that are larger than her size and sew in a draw string at the bottom of each leg and one at the waist. Then just paint her face as a tiger.

Kelly says:

Speaking of pregnancy.. Have you ever done a post showing how to make regular jeans into maternity jeans? I’m so amazed with your blog. If you haven’t, would you mind showing us?

Amy says:

Wow. your costumes are way better (and more accurate) than any you could find in the stores! awsome job!
    you’ve now got me thinking perhaps I can make something. happy sewing for the upcoming halloween :D

I showed my son your skeleton costume and he said he want’s one just like the daddy’s verison. So that’s what we’re doing!

shannon says:

those are so cute! but its way too cold here at halloween time to wear anything like that, would have to have sweats and long sleeves under and a coat on top! :(

How adorable are these costumes!!!!

Suzanne says:

My daughter will be Tinkerbell this year…thanks to your wonderful tutorial!! :)

darci says:

we are going to disneyworld on the 22nd so i had my costumes started a month ago. Both costumes are made with simplicity patterns. 3yo is cinderella and 6yo is rosetta(a tinkerbell fairy). I am not done with either, but i try to work on them a little bit every couple of nights

Annastacia says:

I love the costumes that you have made in the past and I can’t wait to see what you come up with this year! I am going back and forth with my ideas and this post made me realize I better buckle down and choose something :)

Missy says:

I am so tempted to make that pregnant skeleton for me! No, I am not pregnant, but I have 6 kids – the youngest is 6 and I’m 40 – and I can just hear the riot it would cause. Love it!!

Morgan W. says:

I LOVE the pregnant skeleton! My husband and I are miraculously and surprisingly expecting our 3rd little girls in a few months. My original plan for us was to be fred and Wilma Flinstone, but I remembered this costume and actually looked it up last week. I just bought the long sleeve tshirts for us on Saturday! It is so creative and adorable!

anilegra says:

muy bonitos y desde luego el último de lo más original

Bonnie says:

I’m sewing Flynn Rider for my 5 year old son and Rapunzel for my 2 year old daughter. I’ve almost had the Rapunzel dress done for a few months, just need to add the sleeves. But the Flynn Rider costumes is proving to much more difficult. I’m in the middle of mixing and adjusting patterns and it’s hurting my sewing brain–lol! I need to finish them both soon, though, because my kids are so excited!

After I’m done with those, I need to make your Cinderella costume for my daughter. She’s also her favorite :)

Kat says:

I just wanted to say thank you for posting all these in one spot! Im going to “Pin” you in my Holiday board!!! LOVE all of these (I really want another baby just so I can sport that cute Mommy skeleton shirt!!)

Kizzie says:

LOVE the pregnant skeleton, I’m using that idea for my husband and me. I’m going to attempt it on the cricut though…less cutting for me! :) We’ll see how it goes. Thanks for the idea!

Lisa says:

We did the pregnant skeleton last year (our girl are just a few days apart!) and this year she will be Tinkerbell with Daddy as Peter Pan and I will be Wendy. I used your tutorial for Tink (with a few changes like adding snaps to the bottom for easier diaper changes) and created my own Peter Pan (but used your hat) and just bought a simple blue night dress for Wendy. I’m still working on my little Tink, but the other 2 are all done, I’m so excited!

Kirsten says:

Funny you should post about this today, because after I dropped off my older two, the youngest and I headed to Joanns with my husband to find the perfect material for my baby’s halloween costume! My sister-in-law has been hand making costumes for my kids for a couple of years, but I think I’ll be putting together the youngest’s costume this year, since three costumes is a lot to make in a month (as you know!).
    I like to coordinate a theme for them to all be a part of, until they complain about it! This year will be a space theme! My oldest son asked to be an astronaut, so he set the theme this year! My daughter will be an alien, and then the youngest will be a moon, made out of paper mache with a starry outfit underneath so that if he hates the moon, he’ll still fit the theme and just be the sky/universe!!! I found the perfect fabric and now just have to start putting it all together! I’m sooooo excited:) And I still don’t know how the older two’s costumes will look, but the sister-in-law never fails us when it comes to Halloween cuteness!!!

Sandee says:

my 4 y/o, (almost) 3 y/o and 7 m/o keep changing their minds on what they want to be. and i consider that a perfectly legitimate reason why i havent started sewing yet. ok, the baby has no opinion. and that is why hes borrowing his cousins (store-bought) monkey costume.

Emily says:

I’ve been (slowly) working on little red riding hood for my three year old mainly because I want one of your full and fluffy pettiskirts under it and a nice heavy cape she can wear through the holidays on top. Everyone asks if my six yr old son will be the wolf but that’s what he would have been last year had he not been too ill to go out. This year he opted for Ninja and I opted for buying his costume :). I have a 13 month old who’s just going as a baby unless inspiration strikes soon!

Emily says:

This costume has made me decide I Never want to work with velvet again!! All the shifting. Just stay where I pin you!!

Meital says:

I have to tell you something… almost four years ago when I was pregnant I thought of some ideas for a costume and the pregnant skeleton popped into my head. I had no idea that someone already made it before me. at the end I wasn’t able to make the costume sue to a terrible inflammation in my hands.

Jodi says:

I’ll be making my kids costumes again this year as well. I don’t make them entirely from scratch the way you do (I cheated and bought cheap red leggings and long sleeve shirts to turn them into Things 1 and 2 last year) but their costumes are always put together by me and never a purchased costume.
    This year, they’ll be Dora and Boots. :-)

Jaci says:

This is the first time I’ve attempted to make costumes that require more than glue and paint and an iron~
    My youngest goes to mothers day out at a church so they have to dress as an animal so he is going to be a “lizard” but after that he will magically turn into a dragon with attachable wings! My older son doesn’t talk much so its quite easy for me at this point….no begging to be spiderman or optimus prime (thank goodness the one silver lining to speech delay!) So he will be the knight in shingin armor going out to slay the dragon…foam sword included! I’m having a friends lil girl be our damsel in distress

MJ says:

I just love all of these, especially the Cinderella one and the pregnant skeleton. Amazing :)

Shannon F says:

This year, the little guy wants to be a train engineer. So, no sewing for me there. However, my daughter wants to be a My Little Pony. We have ideas, so here’s hoping the execution succeeds! :) i love all the inspiration I find here on your blog.

Heidi says:

Well, my daughter already had a cinderella dress this year as a gift so I searched out a prince charming outfit on Pinterest and was brought to your tutorial!! I am now a follower of yours for life. I’m new to sewing but I just LOVE it. After finishing each piece of that adorable jacket my heart would race as I attached it and then stood back to look at what I’d accomplished! I posted about it today and gave you all the credit!!! Thanks so much for the tutorial, my son loves his costume :) You can see it at allthatbringsjoy at blogspot dot com

This design is steller! You definitely know how to keep a
    reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Great job.
    I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you
    presented it. Too cool!