Halloween Cotsumes 2011: Penguin (from Mary Poppins)

If you’re looking for inspiration, you can find all sorts of DIY Halloween Costume Ideas HERE.

halloween costumes

. . . . .

Ha.  So many of you guessed what my third little kiddo would be, after seeing the Marry Poppins and Bert costumes.  Smarty Pants!  Mary Poppins found here and Bert found here.

There was no other choice, right?  Our baby girl HAD to be a penguin.  Ooooh, I was so excited.

I just have to say that I laughed out loud while I was making this costume.  I just kept imagining it on her…….and would sort of giggle while sewing on the beak or stuffing the white belly full of batting.  And then, when I finally slipped the finished costume on her almost 8 month old chubby self…….I gushed.  It was just so much fun to see her turn into a little plump penguin.  And then when she flashed her little gummy smile when I finally slipped the penguin hat on her head, the whole costume seemed complete.

Even if you aren’t using the Mary Poppins theme, you have got to give this penguin suit a try.

It’ll make you smile.  Really big.

(It isn’t a super sensitive process with difficulties with fitting things perfectly.  So give it a try, even if you’re a semi-beginner.)

But come on, are you seriously looking at that face and not smiling

(If you aren’t, you better come on over and I’ll let you hold her.  That’ll fix ya.)

And everything from the head down to the toes…..is super soft fleece.

Warm and cozy for baby (or child).

And of course, every penguin needs little webbed feet.

How else is she supposed to waddle around?

I could just smooch her to pieces.

And with this little munchkin in our family now……..she made our Mary Poppins theme complete.

(Ha…..no, that’s not why we had another baby.  I wasn’t thinking ahead to Halloween.  Though, hmmm, maybe we should keep that in mind.)

There’s something about seeing a vision in your head……and then seeing it come to life. I know you know what I mean.

It makes my heart so happy when it works out (because yes, there are many sewing catastrophes in my life!!)

And just because I couldn’t help it……I made a little video.

Feel free to jump into their little make-believe chalk painting with them.  (I won’t tell your boss if you’re at work!)

Now click play and turn up that sound………

Ha.  Makes me laugh.

And makes me want a Mary Poppins costume in my size! :)

. . . . .

But back to this perfectly plump penguin…

Would you like to make your own penguin costume?

To make this in about a 9-12 month size, I purchased the following:

• 1 yard black fleece
  • 1/2 yard white fleece
  • 1/4 yard of orange fleece
  • 1/2 yard of white felt
  • 1/8 inch wide elastic (for the bodice and the feet)
  • 1/2 inch wide elastic (for the wings)
  • 7 inch black zipper
  • batting for feet, optional (I used a bit from my stash)
  • double sided fusible web (I used a few small pieces from my stash to help construct the beak)

First of all, I used a dress of my little girl as a template to create a pattern for the top shape.  There are no sleeves on this costume, so don’t worry about cutting those out.  (If you need help with using an existing dress to create a pattern, click here.)  Cut out one shape for the front piece and then 2 pieces for the back because you will add a zipper along the back.  Be sure and add an extra 1/2 inch to that center section on each side for a seam allowance for the zipper.  (I also curved the shape of the bodice outward, so it was more like an A-line shape.  Not too drastic though.  Also, I gave the bottom hem a little curve too, just so the side seams wouldn’t be pointy at the bottom because of the A-line.)

Then, along the front of front piece, place a curved white strip down the center.  Sew along each side and at the top.

Then sew the two back pieces together along the center seam with right sides together (using a 1/2 inch seam allowance) and then add your zipper to the top.  (Need help with zippers?  Click here.)

Then, place your front and back piece together, with right sides together and sew them together along the sides and both shoulders, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance (or whatever allowance you gave yourself when cutting out the pieces).  Then turn the whole thing right side out.  (And sorry, no picture for this step.)

Next, cut some strips of fleece on the bias (so that they curve) are wide enough to be sandwiched around the top and bottom edge of the neck and arm holes.  I cut my fleece about an inch wide.  I also used a strip of bias-cut white fleece along the white section of the neckline and then black for the rest.  I didn’t tuck each edge under like bias tape because the fleece doesn’t fray……and it would be really bulky for me to try and tuck all those edges under.  (Confused about cutting bias-cut strips?  Click here.)

Next, stuff batting between the white section and the top black section, from the bottom.

Then sew that bottom closed.

Then cut another strip of bias tape (mine was 2 inches wide) for the bottom of the penguin suit.

Sandwich it around the bottom edge and sew in place, leaving enough room near the fold of the strip to fit a safety pin and elastic through.

Thread some 1/8 inch elastic through the bottom until it cinches it in just enough…..and then knot the ends of the elastic tight and then sew the rest of the strip closed.

For the wings:

I just free handed a wing shape (see below) and then cut out one wing piece in black and the other in white (make sure to include a 1/4 inch seam allowance).  Then I cut 2 pieces out in felt and 1 piece out in double sided fusible web, that were 1/4 inch smaller along both sides and 1 inch shorter at the top.  (Just as a help……..I wanted my wing a few inches longer than my little girl’s arm and plenty wide enough to cover her arm and look like a substantial wing.  So take that into consideration while cutting your wing pieces.)

Place the web between the 2 felt pieces, iron them together and then place them on the “wrong” side of the black wing.  Then sew all the way around, a 1/4 inch in from the outer edge of the felt.

Next, place the white piece underneath the black piece (so that the black and white pieces are laying with right sides together) and pin them together.  Then sew along both sides of the wing, leaving the top open.  While sewing, sew right next to the white felt but don’t sew through the felt.  Only sew through the black and white layers of fleece.

Then trim off the point of the wing, turn the wing right side out, iron it flat, then attach it to the penguin bodice.  To do this, fold over the top edge of the wing a 1/2 inch, center it along the top shoulder seam of the bodice, then line up the top edge of the wing right along the neckline.  Sew it in place with 2 seams next to each other.

Along the back side of the wing, attach a piece of elastic for an arm to slide through.  (The placement of my elastic falls right above my little girl’s elbow so that the wing/elastic aren’t in the way when she bends her arm.)  Be sure that the elastic isn’t too tight on your subjects arm.

For the hat:

Start off by making a basic hat shape out of black fleece.  Be sure that the stretch of the fleece is going left to right…..so that it will stretch as you put it on your subject’s head.  I made my hat following my tutorial here…..but I didn’t make the brim of the hat.  I just made the hat long enough to cover the head, plus another 1/2 inch along the opening of the hat, to be folded under and zig-zagged closed.

Then cut two triangles for the beak, sew them together (with right sides together) along the 2 sides.  Then iron a piece of felt (that is slightly smaller) onto one side of the triangle with some more double sided fusible web.

Then trim off the point of the beak, turn it right side out, iron it flat, then zig-zag the opening closed.

Then position the beak on the front of the hat and then sew the beak down right, right next to the zig-zag stitches.  (I also hand-stitched the beak down near the base of the hat from the back side, just to keep the beak from flapping around.  But I only went through the bottom layer of the beak so that you can’t see it from the top.)

Then cut two large white circles, then zig-zag some black circle down to the white circles.  (I placed my black circles a bit down from the center of the whites.  But it’s up to you.)

Then zig-zag the eyes right down to the hat, overlapping the beak just a bit.

Now, the feet:

These little feet kind of fell together last minute.  I had a different idea in mind….but it didn’t work.  So this is what I came up with.  Keep in mind that this is for a costume so it’s not finished completely nice…..because the batting can come out.  But no worries, it’s just a costume.

First, cut out 2 large webbed feet shapes.  Cut a small hole (the size of the child’s ankle) near the bottom of the foot.  But not too low because you need to sew around the opening of the hole plus you need some seam allowance near the bottom of the foot when sewing the two feet pieces together.

Then cut a 1 inch wide piece of bias-cut fleece (just like you did for the arm and neck holes for the penguin suit up above) and start sewing it around the opening of the hole on the one foot.  Sew slowly, adjust, and make sure that you are sewing through both layers of the strip, above and below the foot piece.

Leave a 1 inch opening and thread some 1/8 inch elastic through.

Cinch the elastic in (so that it’s comfortable around the ankle), then knot it off and then sew the rest of the strip closed.

Then place the 2 feet pieces together (one with a hole and one without), with right sides together and sew all the way around.  Trim of the points of each toe.

Then turn the foot right side out through the circle opening, point to tips of the toes out (I know, they’re not really toes!!) and then stuff with batting.  You don’t want too much batting in there or a foot won’t fit in there……but you want enough to plump out the foot.

Keep in mind that this type of sole isn’t for heavy walking outside.  It was creating with a non-walking baby in mind.  So adapt as needed and have fun with it! :)

Lastly, I just added a quick little black bowtie shape right to the front.  Totally forgot a picture but the bowtie shape is nothing more complicated than the bow shapes that I made for these little hairbows here.  (But without the extra tails on the backs.)  Then I just hand stitched it right to the front.

And the leggings:

Oh, those are just those super thick cotton tights from Wal-Mart. Easy.

And that’s it.

A compete little penguin suit……ready for dancing with Mary Poppins and Bert.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Baby, Children, Family, Featured, Halloween Costumes, Holiday, Sewing

223 Responses to “Halloween Cotsumes 2011: Penguin (from Mary Poppins)”
    Carolyn says:

Oh my gosh! That is the cutest trio I’ve ever seen! Great costumes and beautiful kiddos!

Kati says:

SO Cute!!!!

How Cute :) Love it definitely *(*

Christie says:

You are amazing! This is the cutest ever!!!! Great job.

Claire says:

You’ll hear this a thousand times today, I am sure, but OH MY GOODNESS- SOOOO ADORABLE!!! I don’t know what I love more, the hat, the tummy, or those feet!! Ya, it’s the feet. And I am a beginner sewer… as in I can thread a machine and sew a straight line… and this totally looks doable with all your instructions and such great pis! Thank you so much for sharing :)

Jessie says:

So, so cute!! And I love in the video, where her brother and sister are running laps around her, but she just wants to check out the leaves on the grass. What a sweet baby. :) Great job, as always, on the costumes. You make such beautiful things (and people, haha).

this is cute! says:

This is sooooo cute!! I was smiling when I looked at the picture, too bad, I want to hold her! She makes the best penguin ever! I know a girl who is in love with penguins, seriously. She prays for them.

Amy says:

I have to say your video was hilarious. I loved that Bert kept throwing his cane!! It made me laugh so hard. And while all that was going on your penguin was just sitting there enjoying her blanket! What a hoot! Thanks for being an Awsome person. It helps to know there are great people in this crazy world!

Jen says:

SUPER cute! I love it. I had no idea what the little one was going to be. I guess I haven’t watched mary poppins in a while. have a fun halloween.

alisha says:

Oh my goodness…I LOVE it!!!!
    You did an awesome job on the costumes. They are adorable. I loved them so much, I had to show my husband and he thought they were awesome too.
    Happy Halloween!

These are truly amazing costumes!! You are so talented. I just watched the video and I love it! My husband does too!

Lindsay says:

I thought the other two costumes were cute but this penguin takes the cake!

Lynette says:

I love this one! I just love it.

Deborah Nowland says:

That is absolutely spectacular and your kids are phenomenal! Put a HUGE smile on my face!!!!! You are amazingly talented. I am a professional seamstress and I don’t think I have ever seen anyone as talented as you! Remarkable!

Jessica says:

I just wanted to tell you how adorable this looks. I totally get what you’re saying about the feeling when what you envisioned actually works out! It’s just ridiculously adorable, too bad Halloween is only one day a year.

Oh, that is to die for! SO CUTE!!!! This is my favorite, definitely. I love it!

christi says:

hehehe. i was right on the penguin guess! Adorable!

I’m in love with all of it–great job!!

Jamey says:

Those are ADORABLE! I wish I had the patience…maybe I will have to start next week, to make next years costumes!

Chrissy says:

Wow, these costumes are absolutely AMAZING!! I love them and your kids are so beautiful. I am obsessed with themed Halloween costumes as well. Last year my 3 were Jessie, Woody, and Bullseye at 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 7 months old. This year they are Bo Peep (Toy Story version), Woody (again–he wanted to be Buzz but didn’t like the hood part of the costume), and my 19 month old is Bo Peep’s little lost sheep–hilarious. They even won a costume contest on Saturday. But I take no credit for their costumes because they were store bought. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to sew. I will have to attempt some of your tutorials. :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Arwen says:

Now my boys want penguin costumes.

These have got to be just about the cutest costumes ever. Nice work.

liZ evans says:

Oh my goodness. THese are darling. SO so stinking cute. I just love them.

Susan says:

Best costumes ever – seriously!

Michele says:

You’ve outdone yourself! All three costumes are brilliant!

Kerri says:

This is the cutest thing I have ever seen!
    I love it!

Annie says:

WOW!!! These costumes are the absolute cutest I’ve ever seen! I have enjoyed all the costumes you’ve done throughout the years— but seriously, these take the cake!!!! I love love love them!!! You are so talented and creative! Thanks so much for sharing all the awesome things you do with us. You give such great tutorials and instructions- easy to follow and fun! Keep up the good work and have a fabulous Halloween with those three cuties of yours!!!! :)

aimee says:

Super cute! My kids loved watching the video. They got such a kick out of it! Amazing job!

Heather says:

I was sooo looking forward to this update today! Cutest trio ever!! In fact, if I wasn’t almost done with my 10 month old daughter’s lion costume, she would totally be a penquin! I may have to make her a penquin costume anyway. Love, love, love all your ideas and tutorials-but your halloween costumes are my favorite!!

I just found your website and am in LOVE. I wish you could come be my mom!!! You make amazing things and that little penguin of yours is adorable. Thanks for sharing your gift:)

Kristina Noall says:

Ha! My husband was right! I showed him what you were doing and told him I couldn’t imagine what the baby was going to be, and this was his immediate guess. You are so talented and I’m so glad you share it with us. I think you should share this link with Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews. :) P.S. Your kids must have the most awesome dress-up box EVER!

Christine says:

Seriously cute! I turned on the video and my little one crawled right over and smiled at it. When it was done, she said “Yeah!”

Chanelle says:

That video is fantastic. I LOVE Mary Poppins and your costumes are unbelievable. I want a Jolly Holiday costume for myself now! If only I could convince my macho hubby to be Bert…

Elisabeth says:

These costumes are unbelievable! You are truly an artist! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, these costumes are the CUTEST ever! I love the video of them dancing to Jolly Holiday too!

Emily says:

Cutest thing ever!!!

Liz says:

LOVE!!!!! That video was so cute I almost cried:) Super duper cute!

Amber C says:

Super Cute!

Lisa W. says:

These are amazing! I love it!

Brittney says:

you are amazingly talented! Thanks for sharing your awesome abilities and creativity with us all!

amy c says:

oh my goodness!! the costume is fantastic but your baby is sooooooooo cute!! just darling. want to squeeze her little cheeks. :) again, amazing costumes. you are outrageously talented.

megan says:

These are truly some of the most amazing costumes. And the baby penguin completes the ensemble. I love it!

noemy says:

OMG!!!! simple amazing, agree with everybody you are so talented, and your kids are very cute, thank you for sharing…

Jennifer says:

Your costumes are ADORABLE, AMAZING, MAGNIFICIENT!!!!!! Your little models are DARLING in their outfits. You are truely amazing!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

beth says:

Oh, Ashley, you just made my day!! As I was watching and singing along ( yes, I know all the words ! I’m 56 and watched a gazillion times ) my previously bad day became all new. How can you be sad while singing that song? Your precious , adorable children are truly blessed with a mother like you. Not just for your sewing skills but for the fun and love of life that you give them. Thanks so much , I’m not missing my grandson quite as much right now , instead, looking forward to when I will see him again.

Erica says:

Amazing costumes — truly. What a talent you have (and very lucky kids!)

Janny says:

This is perhaps the best group costume idea I’ve ever seen. EVER. I love it! And they turned out so well. Amazing.

Jessica says:

Wow! You are amazing. Your kids look so cute in their costumes. I love that you made them all with a theme. I still have no idea what my daughter is going to be. She keeps changing her mind.

Kristie says:

So stinking cute! I can’t help but giggle to my self about how darn cute that chubby little penguin is! All 3 costumes are darling! Can’t wait to see what you come up with for next year! Your Halloween costume posts are my favorite every year!

Amie says:

Ashley – That video… They are so cute! They’re going to love looking back on these pics. Beautiful costumes.

Trevivo says:

Maybe the cutest thing I have ever seen.
    Thanks for making me smile.
    And, yes, I would love to hold her :-)

Evelyn says:

you are seriously too much. Nothing could posibly top that.

Elizabeth says:

Oh my goodness Ashley, that is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! Love your blog, I’ve already made one of your dresses, the diaper holder, amongst others, and have the stuffed turtle pattern printed to make for my friend’s new baby (due today!). Thanks so much for all your sharing x

Beth says:

The. Cutest. Costumes. Ever!

Annie says:

You’re KILLING me Smalls! This is such a sweet little outfit!

Lindsay says:

Oh my gosh I think I just melted!! HOW CUTE!!! I love all 3 of the costumes! The penguin is for sure the icing on the cake!

Nicole says:

Adorable… you kids are going to have SO much fun! (and that penguin makes me want to re-think my entire Halloween idea!)

Thanks for sharing!!

Rachel Hipps says:

AW!! She is so adorable!! Love the costume!!

Emilie says:

Seriously amazing!

I shared with my readers here…

danielle says:

Amazing! Loved the video at the end!

Catherine says:

I love it your kids are so cute.

alicia says:

Ash–that was so ADORABLE!! I can’t believe how big your baby girl is already–what a doll! LOVE the theme! Great job!

Amy says:

I was really hoping for a penguin- so adorable!!

Sarah says:

That made me laugh! How adorable! You’ve outdone yourself again!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next year! The pressure is on!!

becky says:

you did such an amazing job. They are all adorable. Wonderful Wonderful!

Diane Durfee says:

Cutest costumes ever! So very adorable! You should win a prize!! (movie was fun too! Now it’s time to watch Mary Poppins!)

bethany says:

I love the video and so very very very cute! that little penguin is just to die for!

Claire says:

WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! You know that commandment about not coveting? I am totally coveting right now. Fabulous job on those costumes and kids. They are so squeezable!

Mika says:

These costumes are ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT and ADORABLE! and yes, that has got to be the cutest penguin I’ve ever seen. You are so talented, thanks for sharing your talent!

Kathy Patterson says:

DARLING! You are SO talented.

Samantha says:

That video was adorable. Maybe I can convince the kids next year to be Mary Poppins and Bert, but I love the penguin so much, maybe I will fill that role…hmmm. Thank you so much for sharing these amazing costumes and for your great blog. I don’t think your efforts are wasted.

Donya says:

LOVE IT! That is the cutest ever! Splendid job! My kids wanted me to tell you they love it too!

Holly says:

Oh my word these are absolutely AMAZING! Is there a contest you can enter somewhere because you’d seriously HAVE TO WIN!!! One day your grandkids are going to have a box of some AWESOME dress up clothes! I’m afraid that you have now set the bar too high though. I can’t imagine how you’ll outdo this next year, but I’ll be waiting! LOL

Jeannie says:

That has to be the most precious thing I have ever seen!! If I lie and tell you it didn’t make me smile, can I come over and hold that sweet muffin….um….I mean, penguin? You did a great job, as always. So precious! Thanks for sharing!

Taylor says:

Every costume turned our perfect!!! Simply lovely!!!

Many blessings to you and your family!

Jackie says:

Oh my gosh! They are all so cute. I understand why you laughed out loud while making the penguin. Too cute. Your son looks so happy to be Bert. And the older girl is just lovely. So fun.

Coley says:

Um… this might be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! SOOO SOOOO CUTE!

Sandra Davidson says:

Wow what a wonderful Mommie for all of that work, the costumes and the children are adorable and that little penguin you could just gobble up she is such a sweetie. Have a Happy Halloween!! Blessings Sandra

Seriously I can’t get over how cute all those outfits are. The Mary Poppins dress is to die for. Your kids look absolutely adorable in their outfits.

so adorable, so creative…. and you do these really fast, how late do you stay up?;-).. i love them!

So cute and original!! (and done before October 31st!!! Great accomplishment, since I am a terrible procrastinator!) You have such cute kids and their costumes are just so great! Are you going to bring a recording of the song along with you for Trick or Treating? (Ok, is it sad that I totally just thought of you or your husband walking around with a boom box on your shoulder, 80’s style? LOL!)
    Awesome job!

Laurel says:

Oh my gosh. The penguin is adorable. All 3 costumes are awesome. I love it. Your baby is so precious. Our baby turned 3 a few weeks ago. Time just flies. Have fun trick or treating.

Heather says:

I LOVE Mary Poppins. My business name is Expealidocious! I have always wanted to be Mary Poppins for Halloween! I have 2 girls; I was hoping for a boy! I wanted to Mary Poppins, my husband, Bert, and then my kids would be Jane and Michael. Maybe we can try a third time for a boy and then I can make a penguin too! You totally ROCKED these costumes. Fantastic job!

Beth says:

That might be the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. I want to pinch all their cheeks and give them all mounds of candy! Have a blast trick or treating!

Melissa says:

Now I can’t stop singing, “It’s a Jolly Holiday with Mary!” My goodness, those costumes look too good, even better than store bought. I bet your neighbors look forward to seeing the amazingness you come up with each year. I know I do!

Amber D. says:

I think all their costumes are super cala fragalistic expialidoshus!

Jodi says:

Here on this site you can enter a photo of your kiddos in costume to be featured on disney.com . If yours don’t make it, then it is RIGGED!!!! :) Seriously, cutest thing I have ever seen in my life. You are crazy talented. :)

Amy K. says:

Now, I *love* Mary Poppins the movie, and yesterday, I would have denied that anything could ever take its place in my heart, but that video of your adorable children in their costumes are providing some serious competition. Thanks so much for sharing – it made my day!

Aimee says:

Oh. My. God. That last picture is priceless. She is so stinkin’ cute! And you did such a great job on all three costumes!

Rebekah says:

Too Too Cute! :) What an amazingly cute little penguin!
    Your three will be the best dressed in the neighbourhood for sure! :) Enjoy your trick or treating! :)

Dawn says:

Oh my GOODNESS thank you! I check into your blog all the time but never comment, but today I HAD to tell you that this just saved me! I have been slacking on a Super Mario turtle costume for my almost 4 year old and now, well, he’s getting a turtle hat and a nice little body (just adding lines on the front of your penguin belly). Luckily I’ve already sewn a shell to stick on his back so hopefully we’ll be done in time for school on Thursday. THANKS!

Becky says:

OH MY GOSH. The pics of the three of them are to DIE FOR. You did a fantastic job.

Zerique says:

so incredibly awesome and creative!!! thanks for the tutorial!!!

Erin says:

So adorable! The whole trio is so precious. You did a wonderful job and put a great smile on my face tonight.

Jackie says:

OH MY GOSH…that is the most adorable penguin ever! The Mary Poppins theme was a totally fabulous idea. Your costumes are such an inspiration!

This is the cutest theme I have ever seen! I love it! What great photos..memories..thank you for sharing! Truly amazing!

These are just adorable! What a great idea. I just love your blog and I love that you share so many great tutorials! Keep it up. You’re awesome!

jessw says:

Oooo…I want a frilly, fluffy mary poppins dress!! They look like they enjoy their costumes so much! And your roly poly penguin is so well behaved; just sitting there! Props girl, they look amazing.

Beth says:

Are you kidding me?! I absolutey LOVE all the costumes and Ruby is almost cute enough to make me want another (ya know, to try for the girl. I have 3 boys!)…almost! Fabulous costumes! Smiles~Beth

Juli says:

Oh my goodness!! I love all the costumes!! And the video was hilarious, although I have to admit that the whole time they were running around, I kept thinking, ‘Don’t fall!! No grass stains on white clothing…ahh!!’ It’s the mom in me! Good job on the costumes! You are amazing! -Juli @ ahenandherchicks.blogspot.com