Halloween Cotsumes 2011: Penguin (from Mary Poppins)

Ha.  So many of you guessed what my third little kiddo would be,

after seeing the Marry Poppins and Bert costumes.  Smarty Pants!

Mary Poppins found here and Bert found here.

There was no other choice, right?  Our baby girl HAD to be a penguin.  Ooooh, I was so excited.

I just have to say that I laughed out loud while I was making this costume.  I just kept imagining it on her…….and would sort of giggle while sewing on the beak or stuffing the white belly full of batting.  And then, when I finally slipped the finished costume on her almost 8 month old chubby self…….I gushed.  It was just so much fun to see her turn into a little plump penguin.  And then when she flashed her little gummy smile when I finally slipped the penguin hat on her head, the whole costume seemed complete.

Even if you aren’t using the Mary Poppins theme, you have got to give this penguin suit a try.

It’ll make you smile.  Really big.

(It isn’t a super sensitive process with difficulties with fitting things perfectly.  So give it a try, even if you’re a semi-beginner.)

But come on, are you seriously looking at that face and not smiling

(If you aren’t, you better come on over and I’ll let you hold her.  That’ll fix ya.)

And everything from the head down to the toes…..is super soft fleece.

Warm and cozy for baby (or child).

And of course, every penguin needs little webbed feet.

How else is she supposed to waddle around?

I could just smooch her to pieces.

And with this little munchkin in our family now……..she made our Mary Poppins theme complete.

(Ha…..no, that’s not why we had another baby.  I wasn’t thinking ahead to Halloween.  Though, hmmm, maybe we should keep that in mind.)

There’s something about seeing a vision in your head……and then seeing it come to life. I know you know what I mean.

It makes my heart so happy when it works out (because yes, there are many sewing catastrophes in my life!!)

And just because I couldn’t help it……I made a little video.

Feel free to jump into their little make-believe chalk painting with them.  (I won’t tell your boss if you’re at work!)

Now click play and turn up that sound………

Ha.  Makes me laugh.

And makes me want a Mary Poppins costume in my size! :)

. . . . .

But back to this perfectly plump penguin…

Would you like to make your own penguin costume?

To make this in about a 9-12 month size, I purchased the following:

• 1 yard black fleece
  • 1/2 yard white fleece
  • 1/4 yard of orange fleece
  • 1/2 yard of white felt
  • 1/8 inch wide elastic (for the bodice and the feet)
  • 1/2 inch wide elastic (for the wings)
  • 7 inch black zipper
  • batting for feet, optional (I used a bit from my stash)
  • double sided fusible web (I used a few small pieces from my stash to help construct the beak)

First of all, I used a dress of my little girl as a template to create a pattern for the top shape.  There are no sleeves on this costume, so don’t worry about cutting those out.  (If you need help with using an existing dress to create a pattern, click here.)  Cut out one shape for the front piece and then 2 pieces for the back because you will add a zipper along the back.  Be sure and add an extra 1/2 inch to that center section on each side for a seam allowance for the zipper.  (I also curved the shape of the bodice outward, so it was more like an A-line shape.  Not too drastic though.  Also, I gave the bottom hem a little curve too, just so the side seams wouldn’t be pointy at the bottom because of the A-line.)

Then, along the front of front piece, place a curved white strip down the center.  Sew along each side and at the top.

Then sew the two back pieces together along the center seam with right sides together (using a 1/2 inch seam allowance) and then add your zipper to the top.  (Need help with zippers?  Click here.)

Then, place your front and back piece together, with right sides together and sew them together along the sides and both shoulders, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance (or whatever allowance you gave yourself when cutting out the pieces).  Then turn the whole thing right side out.  (And sorry, no picture for this step.)

Next, cut some strips of fleece on the bias (so that they curve) are wide enough to be sandwiched around the top and bottom edge of the neck and arm holes.  I cut my fleece about an inch wide.  I also used a strip of bias-cut white fleece along the white section of the neckline and then black for the rest.  I didn’t tuck each edge under like bias tape because the fleece doesn’t fray……and it would be really bulky for me to try and tuck all those edges under.  (Confused about cutting bias-cut strips?  Click here.)

Next, stuff batting between the white section and the top black section, from the bottom.

Then sew that bottom closed.

Then cut another strip of bias tape (mine was 2 inches wide) for the bottom of the penguin suit.

Sandwich it around the bottom edge and sew in place, leaving enough room near the fold of the strip to fit a safety pin and elastic through.

Thread some 1/8 inch elastic through the bottom until it cinches it in just enough…..and then knot the ends of the elastic tight and then sew the rest of the strip closed.

For the wings:

I just free handed a wing shape (see below) and then cut out one wing piece in black and the other in white (make sure to include a 1/4 inch seam allowance).  Then I cut 2 pieces out in felt and 1 piece out in double sided fusible web, that were 1/4 inch smaller along both sides and 1 inch shorter at the top.  (Just as a help……..I wanted my wing a few inches longer than my little girl’s arm and plenty wide enough to cover her arm and look like a substantial wing.  So take that into consideration while cutting your wing pieces.)

Place the web between the 2 felt pieces, iron them together and then place them on the “wrong” side of the black wing.  Then sew all the way around, a 1/4 inch in from the outer edge of the felt.

Next, place the white piece underneath the black piece (so that the black and white pieces are laying with right sides together) and pin them together.  Then sew along both sides of the wing, leaving the top open.  While sewing, sew right next to the white felt but don’t sew through the felt.  Only sew through the black and white layers of fleece.

Then trim off the point of the wing, turn the wing right side out, iron it flat, then attach it to the penguin bodice.  To do this, fold over the top edge of the wing a 1/2 inch, center it along the top shoulder seam of the bodice, then line up the top edge of the wing right along the neckline.  Sew it in place with 2 seams next to each other.

Along the back side of the wing, attach a piece of elastic for an arm to slide through.  (The placement of my elastic falls right above my little girl’s elbow so that the wing/elastic aren’t in the way when she bends her arm.)  Be sure that the elastic isn’t too tight on your subjects arm.

For the hat:

Start off by making a basic hat shape out of black fleece.  Be sure that the stretch of the fleece is going left to right…..so that it will stretch as you put it on your subject’s head.  I made my hat following my tutorial here…..but I didn’t make the brim of the hat.  I just made the hat long enough to cover the head, plus another 1/2 inch along the opening of the hat, to be folded under and zig-zagged closed.

Then cut two triangles for the beak, sew them together (with right sides together) along the 2 sides.  Then iron a piece of felt (that is slightly smaller) onto one side of the triangle with some more double sided fusible web.

Then trim off the point of the beak, turn it right side out, iron it flat, then zig-zag the opening closed.

Then position the beak on the front of the hat and then sew the beak down right, right next to the zig-zag stitches.  (I also hand-stitched the beak down near the base of the hat from the back side, just to keep the beak from flapping around.  But I only went through the bottom layer of the beak so that you can’t see it from the top.)

Then cut two large white circles, then zig-zag some black circle down to the white circles.  (I placed my black circles a bit down from the center of the whites.  But it’s up to you.)

Then zig-zag the eyes right down to the hat, overlapping the beak just a bit.

Now, the feet:

These little feet kind of fell together last minute.  I had a different idea in mind….but it didn’t work.  So this is what I came up with.  Keep in mind that this is for a costume so it’s not finished completely nice…..because the batting can come out.  But no worries, it’s just a costume.

First, cut out 2 large webbed feet shapes.  Cut a small hole (the size of the child’s ankle) near the bottom of the foot.  But not too low because you need to sew around the opening of the hole plus you need some seam allowance near the bottom of the foot when sewing the two feet pieces together.

Then cut a 1 inch wide piece of bias-cut fleece (just like you did for the arm and neck holes for the penguin suit up above) and start sewing it around the opening of the hole on the one foot.  Sew slowly, adjust, and make sure that you are sewing through both layers of the strip, above and below the foot piece.

Leave a 1 inch opening and thread some 1/8 inch elastic through.

Cinch the elastic in (so that it’s comfortable around the ankle), then knot it off and then sew the rest of the strip closed.

Then place the 2 feet pieces together (one with a hole and one without), with right sides together and sew all the way around.  Trim of the points of each toe.

Then turn the foot right side out through the circle opening, point to tips of the toes out (I know, they’re not really toes!!) and then stuff with batting.  You don’t want too much batting in there or a foot won’t fit in there……but you want enough to plump out the foot.

Keep in mind that this type of sole isn’t for heavy walking outside.  It was creating with a non-walking baby in mind.  So adapt as needed and have fun with it! :)

Lastly, I just added a quick little black bowtie shape right to the front.  Totally forgot a picture but the bowtie shape is nothing more complicated than the bow shapes that I made for these little hairbows here.  (But without the extra tails on the backs.)  Then I just hand stitched it right to the front.

And the leggings:

Oh, those are just those super thick cotton tights from Wal-Mart. Easy.

And that’s it.

A compete little penguin suit……ready for dancing with Mary Poppins and Bert.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Comments

251 Responses to “Halloween Cotsumes 2011: Penguin (from Mary Poppins)”
    Carolyn says:

Oh my gosh! That is the cutest trio I’ve ever seen! Great costumes and beautiful kiddos!

How Cute :) Love it definitely *(*

Christie says:

You are amazing! This is the cutest ever!!!! Great job.

Claire says:

You’ll hear this a thousand times today, I am sure, but OH MY GOODNESS- SOOOO ADORABLE!!! I don’t know what I love more, the hat, the tummy, or those feet!! Ya, it’s the feet. And I am a beginner sewer… as in I can thread a machine and sew a straight line… and this totally looks doable with all your instructions and such great pis! Thank you so much for sharing :)

Jessie says:

So, so cute!! And I love in the video, where her brother and sister are running laps around her, but she just wants to check out the leaves on the grass. What a sweet baby. :) Great job, as always, on the costumes. You make such beautiful things (and people, haha).

this is cute! says:

This is sooooo cute!! I was smiling when I looked at the picture, too bad, I want to hold her! She makes the best penguin ever! I know a girl who is in love with penguins, seriously. She prays for them.

Amy says:

I have to say your video was hilarious. I loved that Bert kept throwing his cane!! It made me laugh so hard. And while all that was going on your penguin was just sitting there enjoying her blanket! What a hoot! Thanks for being an Awsome person. It helps to know there are great people in this crazy world!

Jen says:

SUPER cute! I love it. I had no idea what the little one was going to be. I guess I haven’t watched mary poppins in a while. have a fun halloween.

alisha says:

Oh my goodness…I LOVE it!!!!
    You did an awesome job on the costumes. They are adorable. I loved them so much, I had to show my husband and he thought they were awesome too.
    Happy Halloween!

These are truly amazing costumes!! You are so talented. I just watched the video and I love it! My husband does too!

Lindsay says:

I thought the other two costumes were cute but this penguin takes the cake!

Lynette says:

I love this one! I just love it.

Deborah Nowland says:

That is absolutely spectacular and your kids are phenomenal! Put a HUGE smile on my face!!!!! You are amazingly talented. I am a professional seamstress and I don’t think I have ever seen anyone as talented as you! Remarkable!

Jessica says:

I just wanted to tell you how adorable this looks. I totally get what you’re saying about the feeling when what you envisioned actually works out! It’s just ridiculously adorable, too bad Halloween is only one day a year.

Oh, that is to die for! SO CUTE!!!! This is my favorite, definitely. I love it!

christi says:

hehehe. i was right on the penguin guess! Adorable!

I’m in love with all of it–great job!!

Jamey says:

Those are ADORABLE! I wish I had the patience…maybe I will have to start next week, to make next years costumes!

Chrissy says:

Wow, these costumes are absolutely AMAZING!! I love them and your kids are so beautiful. I am obsessed with themed Halloween costumes as well. Last year my 3 were Jessie, Woody, and Bullseye at 5 yrs, 3 yrs, and 7 months old. This year they are Bo Peep (Toy Story version), Woody (again–he wanted to be Buzz but didn’t like the hood part of the costume), and my 19 month old is Bo Peep’s little lost sheep–hilarious. They even won a costume contest on Saturday. But I take no credit for their costumes because they were store bought. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to sew. I will have to attempt some of your tutorials. :) Thank you so much for sharing!

Arwen says:

Now my boys want penguin costumes.

These have got to be just about the cutest costumes ever. Nice work.

liZ evans says:

Oh my goodness. THese are darling. SO so stinking cute. I just love them.
    liZ
    (simplesimonandco)

Susan says:

Best costumes ever – seriously!

Michele says:

You’ve outdone yourself! All three costumes are brilliant!

Kerri says:

This is the cutest thing I have ever seen!
    I love it!
    xoxo

Annie says:

WOW!!! These costumes are the absolute cutest I’ve ever seen! I have enjoyed all the costumes you’ve done throughout the years— but seriously, these take the cake!!!! I love love love them!!! You are so talented and creative! Thanks so much for sharing all the awesome things you do with us. You give such great tutorials and instructions- easy to follow and fun! Keep up the good work and have a fabulous Halloween with those three cuties of yours!!!! :)

aimee says:

Super cute! My kids loved watching the video. They got such a kick out of it! Amazing job!

Heather says:

I was sooo looking forward to this update today! Cutest trio ever!! In fact, if I wasn’t almost done with my 10 month old daughter’s lion costume, she would totally be a penquin! I may have to make her a penquin costume anyway. Love, love, love all your ideas and tutorials-but your halloween costumes are my favorite!!

I just found your website and am in LOVE. I wish you could come be my mom!!! You make amazing things and that little penguin of yours is adorable. Thanks for sharing your gift:)

Kristina Noall says:

Ha! My husband was right! I showed him what you were doing and told him I couldn’t imagine what the baby was going to be, and this was his immediate guess. You are so talented and I’m so glad you share it with us. I think you should share this link with Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews. :) P.S. Your kids must have the most awesome dress-up box EVER!

Christine says:

Seriously cute! I turned on the video and my little one crawled right over and smiled at it. When it was done, she said “Yeah!”

Chanelle says:

That video is fantastic. I LOVE Mary Poppins and your costumes are unbelievable. I want a Jolly Holiday costume for myself now! If only I could convince my macho hubby to be Bert…

Elisabeth says:

These costumes are unbelievable! You are truly an artist! Thanks for sharing!

Wow, these costumes are the CUTEST ever! I love the video of them dancing to Jolly Holiday too!

Emily says:

Cutest thing ever!!!

Liz says:

LOVE!!!!! That video was so cute I almost cried:) Super duper cute!

Amber C says:

Super Cute!

Lisa W. says:

These are amazing! I love it!

Brittney says:

you are amazingly talented! Thanks for sharing your awesome abilities and creativity with us all!

amy c says:

oh my goodness!! the costume is fantastic but your baby is sooooooooo cute!! just darling. want to squeeze her little cheeks. :) again, amazing costumes. you are outrageously talented.

megan says:

These are truly some of the most amazing costumes. And the baby penguin completes the ensemble. I love it!

noemy says:

OMG!!!! simple amazing, agree with everybody you are so talented, and your kids are very cute, thank you for sharing…

Jennifer says:

Your costumes are ADORABLE, AMAZING, MAGNIFICIENT!!!!!! Your little models are DARLING in their outfits. You are truely amazing!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing with us.

beth says:

Oh, Ashley, you just made my day!! As I was watching and singing along ( yes, I know all the words ! I’m 56 and watched a gazillion times ) my previously bad day became all new. How can you be sad while singing that song? Your precious , adorable children are truly blessed with a mother like you. Not just for your sewing skills but for the fun and love of life that you give them. Thanks so much , I’m not missing my grandson quite as much right now , instead, looking forward to when I will see him again.

Erica says:

Amazing costumes — truly. What a talent you have (and very lucky kids!)

Janny says:

This is perhaps the best group costume idea I’ve ever seen. EVER. I love it! And they turned out so well. Amazing.

Jessica says:

Wow! You are amazing. Your kids look so cute in their costumes. I love that you made them all with a theme. I still have no idea what my daughter is going to be. She keeps changing her mind.

justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

Kristie says:

So stinking cute! I can’t help but giggle to my self about how darn cute that chubby little penguin is! All 3 costumes are darling! Can’t wait to see what you come up with for next year! Your Halloween costume posts are my favorite every year!

Amie says:

Ashley – That video… They are so cute! They’re going to love looking back on these pics. Beautiful costumes.

Trevivo says:

Maybe the cutest thing I have ever seen.
    Thanks for making me smile.
    And, yes, I would love to hold her :-)

Evelyn says:

you are seriously too much. Nothing could posibly top that.

Elizabeth says:

Oh my goodness Ashley, that is one of the cutest things I have ever seen! Love your blog, I’ve already made one of your dresses, the diaper holder, amongst others, and have the stuffed turtle pattern printed to make for my friend’s new baby (due today!). Thanks so much for all your sharing x

Beth says:

The. Cutest. Costumes. Ever!

Annie says:

You’re KILLING me Smalls! This is such a sweet little outfit!

Lindsay says:

Oh my gosh I think I just melted!! HOW CUTE!!! I love all 3 of the costumes! The penguin is for sure the icing on the cake!

Nicole says:

Adorable… you kids are going to have SO much fun! (and that penguin makes me want to re-think my entire Halloween idea!)

Thanks for sharing!!

XO,
    Nicole

Rachel Hipps says:

AW!! She is so adorable!! Love the costume!!

Emilie says:

WOWZA!
    Seriously amazing!

I shared with my readers here…

danielle says:

Amazing! Loved the video at the end!

Catherine says:

I love it your kids are so cute.

alicia says:

Ash–that was so ADORABLE!! I can’t believe how big your baby girl is already–what a doll! LOVE the theme! Great job!

Amy says:

I was really hoping for a penguin- so adorable!!

Sarah says:

That made me laugh! How adorable! You’ve outdone yourself again!! Can’t wait to see what you come up with next year! The pressure is on!!

becky says:

you did such an amazing job. They are all adorable. Wonderful Wonderful!

Diane Durfee says:

Cutest costumes ever! So very adorable! You should win a prize!! (movie was fun too! Now it’s time to watch Mary Poppins!)

bethany says:

I love the video and so very very very cute! that little penguin is just to die for!

Claire says:

WOWOWOWOWOW!!!!! You know that commandment about not coveting? I am totally coveting right now. Fabulous job on those costumes and kids. They are so squeezable!

Mika says:

These costumes are ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT and ADORABLE! and yes, that has got to be the cutest penguin I’ve ever seen. You are so talented, thanks for sharing your talent!

Kathy Patterson says:

DARLING! You are SO talented.

Samantha says:

That video was adorable. Maybe I can convince the kids next year to be Mary Poppins and Bert, but I love the penguin so much, maybe I will fill that role…hmmm. Thank you so much for sharing these amazing costumes and for your great blog. I don’t think your efforts are wasted.

Donya says:

LOVE IT! That is the cutest ever! Splendid job! My kids wanted me to tell you they love it too!

Holly says:

Oh my word these are absolutely AMAZING! Is there a contest you can enter somewhere because you’d seriously HAVE TO WIN!!! One day your grandkids are going to have a box of some AWESOME dress up clothes! I’m afraid that you have now set the bar too high though. I can’t imagine how you’ll outdo this next year, but I’ll be waiting! LOL

Jeannie says:

That has to be the most precious thing I have ever seen!! If I lie and tell you it didn’t make me smile, can I come over and hold that sweet muffin….um….I mean, penguin? You did a great job, as always. So precious! Thanks for sharing!

Taylor says:

Every costume turned our perfect!!! Simply lovely!!!

Many blessings to you and your family!

Jackie says:

Oh my gosh! They are all so cute. I understand why you laughed out loud while making the penguin. Too cute. Your son looks so happy to be Bert. And the older girl is just lovely. So fun.

Coley says:

Um… this might be the cutest thing I’ve ever seen! SOOO SOOOO CUTE!

Sandra Davidson says:

Wow what a wonderful Mommie for all of that work, the costumes and the children are adorable and that little penguin you could just gobble up she is such a sweetie. Have a Happy Halloween!! Blessings Sandra

Seriously I can’t get over how cute all those outfits are. The Mary Poppins dress is to die for. Your kids look absolutely adorable in their outfits.

so adorable, so creative…. and you do these really fast, how late do you stay up?;-).. i love them!

So cute and original!! (and done before October 31st!!! Great accomplishment, since I am a terrible procrastinator!) You have such cute kids and their costumes are just so great! Are you going to bring a recording of the song along with you for Trick or Treating? (Ok, is it sad that I totally just thought of you or your husband walking around with a boom box on your shoulder, 80′s style? LOL!)
    Awesome job!

Laurel says:

Oh my gosh. The penguin is adorable. All 3 costumes are awesome. I love it. Your baby is so precious. Our baby turned 3 a few weeks ago. Time just flies. Have fun trick or treating.

Heather says:

I LOVE Mary Poppins. My business name is Expealidocious! I have always wanted to be Mary Poppins for Halloween! I have 2 girls; I was hoping for a boy! I wanted to Mary Poppins, my husband, Bert, and then my kids would be Jane and Michael. Maybe we can try a third time for a boy and then I can make a penguin too! You totally ROCKED these costumes. Fantastic job!

Beth says:

That might be the most adorable thing I’ve ever seen. I want to pinch all their cheeks and give them all mounds of candy! Have a blast trick or treating!

Melissa says:

Now I can’t stop singing, “It’s a Jolly Holiday with Mary!” My goodness, those costumes look too good, even better than store bought. I bet your neighbors look forward to seeing the amazingness you come up with each year. I know I do!

Amber D. says:

I think all their costumes are super cala fragalistic expialidoshus!

Jodi says:

Here on this site you can enter a photo of your kiddos in costume to be featured on disney.com . If yours don’t make it, then it is RIGGED!!!! :) Seriously, cutest thing I have ever seen in my life. You are crazy talented. :)

Amy K. says:

Now, I *love* Mary Poppins the movie, and yesterday, I would have denied that anything could ever take its place in my heart, but that video of your adorable children in their costumes are providing some serious competition. Thanks so much for sharing – it made my day!

Aimee says:

Oh. My. God. That last picture is priceless. She is so stinkin’ cute! And you did such a great job on all three costumes!

Rebekah says:

Too Too Cute! :) What an amazingly cute little penguin!
    Your three will be the best dressed in the neighbourhood for sure! :) Enjoy your trick or treating! :)

Dawn says:

Oh my GOODNESS thank you! I check into your blog all the time but never comment, but today I HAD to tell you that this just saved me! I have been slacking on a Super Mario turtle costume for my almost 4 year old and now, well, he’s getting a turtle hat and a nice little body (just adding lines on the front of your penguin belly). Luckily I’ve already sewn a shell to stick on his back so hopefully we’ll be done in time for school on Thursday. THANKS!

Becky says:

OH MY GOSH. The pics of the three of them are to DIE FOR. You did a fantastic job.

Zerique says:

so incredibly awesome and creative!!! thanks for the tutorial!!!

Erin says:

So adorable! The whole trio is so precious. You did a wonderful job and put a great smile on my face tonight.

Jackie says:

OH MY GOSH…that is the most adorable penguin ever! The Mary Poppins theme was a totally fabulous idea. Your costumes are such an inspiration!

This is the cutest theme I have ever seen! I love it! What great photos..memories..thank you for sharing! Truly amazing!

These are just adorable! What a great idea. I just love your blog and I love that you share so many great tutorials! Keep it up. You’re awesome!

Sarah
    creating-sarah.blogspot.com

jessw says:

Oooo…I want a frilly, fluffy mary poppins dress!! They look like they enjoy their costumes so much! And your roly poly penguin is so well behaved; just sitting there! Props girl, they look amazing.

Beth says:

Are you kidding me?! I absolutey LOVE all the costumes and Ruby is almost cute enough to make me want another (ya know, to try for the girl. I have 3 boys!)…almost! Fabulous costumes! Smiles~Beth

Juli says:

Oh my goodness!! I love all the costumes!! And the video was hilarious, although I have to admit that the whole time they were running around, I kept thinking, ‘Don’t fall!! No grass stains on white clothing…ahh!!’ It’s the mom in me! Good job on the costumes! You are amazing! -Juli @ ahenandherchicks.blogspot.com

heidi s. says:

I don’t comment often, but I just have to say….you are amazing! So incredibly talented, and your children are beautiful!

Jen says:

You are amazing.

Frédérique says:

Absolutely beautiful! You are so talented!

kristie says:

seriously adorable!!!!!

made my day!!!!

Fabulous halloween costumes, you have a fabulous gift!

Wendy says:

Oh my goodness! I am smiling SO BIG! I just watched your video. It’s a fantastic start to my otherwise boring morning. Beautiful job on the costumes, the video, and making your children’s Halloween so very special.

Michele N says:

Little one is way ADORABLE as a penguin & the 3 of them together so very cute. Way to go Ashley! Hope my Wizard of Oz costumes come out half as cute.

:o) mg says:

I love you for making my Wednesday morning so filled with joy – the video was precious!! And the kids look absolutely amazing in their costumes. I don’t see how you can out-do this one. You are SO blessed in many ways!

These costumes are adorable and so are the kids!

Marianne says:

That is the best video EVER!! So cute. You are an amazing seamstress and Mommy!! LOVE the costumes and your adorable children!!

Baker4Boys says:

Adorable!!! I love the video! =)

Shea says:

I’m not sure I’ve seen anything cuter!!

Anneline says:

I love love love your Mary Poppins outfits but this little penguin just melts my heart. So SO cute!!! Thanks for all your great tutorials. xx

karomanah says:

hi Ashley I added your site to my blog
    you’re amazing :D

Natalie says:

I’ve been singing ‘Jolly Holiday’ since you posted the first costume. So cute, your family is beautiful, costumes are perfect. Love your blog.

brittany says:

that is the cutest thing I have ever seen! I love you little video too. They are going to look back on that and will be amazes at their mama’s skills! I also think the next time you make costumes you should make double since my kids are the same size. My daughter is 5, my son is 3, and my baby girl is 7 months. They would work perfectly! Just a thought :)

Kelly says:

This is so stinken cute. I love it! How could that not make you smile & laugh. She really hams it up for the camera too.

kendascrafts says:

Those costumes are so adorable! The penguin is the icing on the cake. Reminds me of when I dressed my son (then 8 month) up as a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Amanda s. says:

That may be the cutest penguin I have ever seen! What a great idea!

Ginger says:

That is so freaking cute! Thanks for sharing, they are darling!

MariJo says:

So cute. I am a regular reader and I have made so many things following your tutorials, but I never have commented. But this post was priceless. Mary Poppins costume with matching umbrella ~ $30; Bert costume with matching candy cane cane ~ $30; three beautiful happy children with the most precious smiles – priceless blessing.
    God bless.

Wendy F says:

Ashley,

You just made my DAY!!!! It’s a gloomy New England day here (with that dreaded s-word in the forecast!) and I definitely needed a pick-me-up!

Your kids are adorable. Of course, you know that already. (I keep thinking that the I’ll grin even bigger when they become teenagers like mine!)

The penguin is just too cute, but I had to laugh out loud at the fact that she kept falling over during the video. When the ‘animals’ started singing and you zoomed in on that gummy smile, I just lost it! I’m still giggling!!!

Thanks so very much for sharing.

Paula says:

I love it! Pictures and memories you’ll treasure forever. <3

michelle says:

Omg soooo cute I was just telling my hubby about the other two costumes i will def have to show him this one! You are awesome at sewing!!!!! And your babies are just adorable!!! Great job!

Linda R says:

This is just too cute!

ira lee says:

oh girl!!! this is so great!! and what fun too!!! you have done a fantastic job!!!

edie says:

cute costumes. beautiful children and as usual totally awesome pictures.
    I love looking at your site and especially your pictures. thank you for the smiles

Anna says:

Ohmy!!! I can’t contain myself; these are the most adorable things EVER!

Carrie C says:

You amaze and inspire me. I LOVE your blog. It is my very favorite. Thank you so much for sharing your talents and gifts with me. I sing your praises for the inspiration in gives me.

Jenny says:

Incredible! Everyone that they trick or treat will be blown away :)

Becca says:

Ho.Ly. Awesome! You are amazing. I especially love the silly video! Awesome, awesome job! Happy Halloween!!

delia says:

Brilliant Ashley! This could be adapted for so many other types of baby costumes. Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Marin D says:

Those are soooo awesome. I wish I had the skills and the time to do something like that! Gorgeous!!!

Melanie Birch says:

So Cute Ashley! I love your blog and read it all of the time. I wish I had known you when you were in Rexburg, I think we would have been good friends :) The costumes all turned out darling!!

Molly A. says:

Just watched your super cute video with my three year old. Every time she saw your son she would say “Oh, he’s so cute!” and giggle. Made me laugh.

I’m sure that after 136 comments you have heard it all, but I can’t not comment too. That video was adorable!!! You are amazing.

HouseElf says:

Amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your talents! What lucky children, what wonderful costumes!

Bonnie Ditto says:

You are so talented. Your kiddos will have such wonderful memories. I was laughing out loud during the video when the penguin fell over!!! Your children are so precious. Wanted to take you up on the offer to come over and hold the baby!

Tamara says:

The video was fabulous! I love the costumes! Fantastic job!

Paula says:

O.K., Your Mary Poppins and your Bert are just too cute for words and their costumes are magnificent but your Penguin, OMG! I just want to pick her up and squeeze and hug her. Seriously, you are an amazing seamstress and photographer and these pictures of your costumes and children belong on the cover of a magazine.

Tracy says:

My FAVORITE movie…and my 5 yo is loving it too! I laughed with joy at the cute little video. Such happy memories you’re helping your kids make! Love the idea!

This turned out absolutely darling!

Sarah jane says:

Oh Ashley! Your movie made me cry! All of it is just amazing! I am the proudest sister-in-law and Aunt ever! You truely have an amazing gift! WOW!

I already loved the two other costumes but this one really is amazing! so cute! I’m so gonna make this for my daughter!

Beth D. says:

So, so cute! Next year you can be Little Bo Peep and make 3 sheep :)

Lorlianne says:

You. Are. Brilliant.

Nuff said.

Have you ever checked out Animoto.com for making video clips?? This website consumes a bit too much of my time, but I can’t seem to be able to reason that I have enough amazing videos and slideshows of my 3 amazing kids (incidentally girl, boy, girl…. :) )

Tera says:

I don’t think there was a single thing about this post (or from the two early posts) that I didn’t LOVE! That penguin costume is absolutely adorable and your little munchkin is perfect for it! Awesome job at putting it all together! That video made me laugh so hard. That’s seriously one of the cutest things I’ve ever watched!!

Teri says:

Aaaah! I think my brain is going to explode from the cuteness of your kids!!

Also, I’m totally going to confess that I love all your costume ideas! I’m going as a pregnant skeleton this year and I think I might do this with my family for next year, only with adult costumes for Mary and Bert! You are so creative! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Jenn says:

Cutest idea ever. I love the video! Great job Ashley!

Christy says:

You did such a great job on these costumes! It makes me want to have 3 kids so I can also do a Mary Poppins theme :)

Bobbie says:

I love Penguins and the video just made my day- I am sure that our Acct payable clerk thought it was odd to hear Jolly Holiday playing in the office! :)

Rocio Estrada says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the costumes and the kids! You really put store bought costumes to shame! You are so talented and creative. Thanks for sharing…I loved the video!

Kimberly says:

Oh, I was so hoping she’d be a penguin! She is absolutely adorable!! You’re kids are all just adorable and that video . . . so cute!!

Sandee says:

we’re back to watch the video again at the request of my 2 y/o.

You’ve given your children a memory they’ll treasure all their lives through (and one which their own children will tease them about, I’m sure. Utterly charming. God bless you and your lovely little family, Ashley,
    Judith Ann

Shanda says:

OH MY WORD! That video MADE MY DAY! Your costumes are always AMAZING!!! I SO love your theme this year! Feel proud they are SO FANTASTIC!!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LOVE IT!!!

Rachel says:

I clicked on the video and my 15 month old came running into my office and giggled on my lap the whole time while watching it! What cute kiddos and what a fun theme! Great job! Oh, the patience all of that bias tape must have taken on Bert’s jacket!!!

Melissa says:

I stumbled upon this by accident and am so glad! This is seriously the cutest thing I have ever seen!! My daughter (3) and I watched the video twice!
    Love it!

Jennifer says:

I loved this so much I made my little three month old boy a penguin costume!! You make things so easy to understand and was so easy to follow the steps. I absolutely am in love!! I made some penguin hats for me and my husband for a family Halloween party to match our son. Love love love this!!! thanks so much you are simply amazing!

amy smart says:

This is the cutest trio of costumes I have ever seen. SO well done.

dana says:

very cute ensemble Ashley!

Amy says:

You seriously never cease to amaze me!!! I wish I had half your sewing talent. Awesome costumes!

These are seriously the most adorable costumes I have ever seen! I just stumbled across your blog and am HOOKED! We just got started in the craft blogging world and if you don’t mind I would love to link back to your blog and share this with our readers.

Lisa says:

WOW! You are amazing! I love the video and Mary Poppins themed costumes! Absolutely adorable…especially the penguin. ;o)

Jensa says:

Your little baby’s chubby face in that penguin costume made my day! They’re so lucky to have such a talented mommy!

Kelly says:

ohh so cute. my kids and i loved watching the video and we’re thinking it might be a possibility for next year (4.5 yr old girl, 2.5 yr old boy, and 5 mo. old boy). i only discovered your website a few weeks ago when i was looking for a tutorial for a princess dress. thank you! thank you!

LOVE this! What a great idea!!! :) Each of the costumes looks awesome by the way! Happy Halloween!!!

Rachel says:

THANK YOU! My son wanted to be a penguin and this showed up at just the right time! Monday morning was busy as I made this costume for him–he LOVED it. Actually he still loves it, he’s wearing it right now!

adva says:

the pinguin is so cute! and a great tutorial, thank you.

Naomi says:

You are totally AMAZING! I can not believe how incredibly unique and awesome those costumes are!!! I am in love with your blog, you are my favorite blog on the web, and with how many there are to choose from, that’s saying something!!! You really inspire me to pull the dust cover off my sewing machine and get creative!!!

Jennifer says:

This costume is absolutely adorable! I am going to a penguin themed 1st birthday party this weekend and I used your tutorial to make the hat for the little guy. I sure hope it fits him :-/ Thanks for putting the tutorial together, your daughter (well all your kids) look great!

Critic says:

COTSUMES?

Antonia says:

Wow, il mio bambino adora “Pingu” e quindi l’ho realizzato grazie alle vostre immagini!!!! E’ stato molto semplice ed il risultato è ottimo, lo indosserà a Carnevale e poi vi dirò i commenti!!!! Grazieeeeeeee

doro K. says:

these costumes are the very best i’ve ever seen! i totally love them!!!

I linked to your tutorials on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

Christine says:

I absolutely could not stop grinning the entire time I watched your video. My cheeks hurt now! Those costumes could not be ANY cuter! Thanks for sharing!

Mrs. Rogers says:

Wow!!!! These are amazing and I don’t know how you had the time to not only sew them but then take pics and blog about!!! Kudos! They look fabulous!

your kids are so adorable, especially in their outfits! these are great- i might consider trying it, it’s hard not to :)

Elaine says:

This is so adorable! It would be perfect to do with my kids. My four year old would need a lot of convincing to not be a fireman, but it would be so cute. I can not stop smiling thinking about your cute video. Thank you SO much for all the work that goes into your tutorials. I’ve read a bunch of your sewing tips and I’ve been well educated-they are so easy to understand. Thanks again for sharing you love of sewing with the rest of us.

yac says:

me gusto mucho esta chevere todas las indicaciones

ourhaunt says:

Awesome costume, thank you

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!!!! They are SOOOOOOO cute!! loved the video! CAN’T imagine not smiling at Cloe’s sweet cheeks grin!

And you, by the way, are VERY talented!

Molly says:

So glad I stumbled on this little video of you cute kids and their lovely costumes this morning! I really needed a little lift and this made my heart light! They are so adorable, the costumes are amazing and the love for one another just pours out…truly beautiful!

Penguin Costum is AWESOME!!!!

Love this tutorial and so far the outcome is great and I’ve learned a few new tricks along the way. Thank you for inspiring me! http://peachstitches.blogspot.com/2012/09/halloween-costumes-2012-penguin.html

Halsey says:

I am dying. These are A-dorable!! I only wish my brain was as smart as your since I’m trying to figure out a Max costume (Where the Wild Things Are) for my little three-year-old. Hopefully I’ll get better with practice!

Stephanie says:

This is the cutest idea ever! I saw it on Pinterest and did some DIY no-sew versions. I used the classic Mary in a coat & chimney sweep Bert, but I gave you credit for the idea. :)

Arica says:

I made the penguin feet last night since I had the costume but not the feet and your directions were great..thank you so much for sharing.

Afrika says:

fantastico tutorial

Oh my gosh! I love penguins! This is adorable! Thanks for sharing :)

Tiffany L says:

OMG SOO CUTE! (BTW, I love Penguins <3)

Amanda says:

I just made this. I am exhausted. You make it look so easy!! Great job :)

maggy says:

i wish you could make one for me

Kathleen says:

I love this penguin costume! Thank you for the tutorial. I would like to point out that your material list is a bit incomplete. I wish I had read all the instructions first and then went to the fabric store. I did not l purchase mesh or wider elastic for the wing bands. I do not mean to complain though. My costumes came out great and I will have 2 cute little penguins for halloween this year! Thanks again!

Lindsey says:

I just wanted to say thank you. I’ve loved this set of costumes since you posted them last year and remembered it when I was trying to figure out what my son would be for Halloween this year. I’m not a sewer. I can remember sewing two things with my mother when I was little (both of which she had to take over and fix/finish because I was so frustrated), and I’ve sewn two things in the past 10 years (with my sister’s help on basically every step). Thanks to your easy-to-follow instructions, detailed pictures, and a few of your other sewing tip tutorials, I just barely finished my son’s penguin costume. I cannot thank you enough! I’m so excited for him to wear it, and I can’t wait to tackle another one of your sewing tutorials.

Melanie says:

Just finished making this for my 2 year old! We love penguins in this house. Amazing tutorials for people (like me) who are learning as they go! Thank you!

Sally says:

I love this costume and I’m right in the middle of making it. I hope you don’t think I’m rude for posting this, because I’m not trying to be, but you are missing a few steps from your tutorial. First, on the list of things you need, you don’t include batting, double sided fusible web or the elastic for the wings. And then you don’t ever show sewing the front and back pieces of the body together. I’m a beginner sewer and that took me several minutes to figure out. I promise I’m not trying to be rude at all. Just hoping to be helpful to others out there making this adorable costume. Thank you so very, very much for this tutorial!!

Sorry about that Sally. I never even noticed that I left those things out from last year and you’re the first to mention it……….but I’m sure I wrote this up very late at night, trying to add the instructions to the post in a hurry for those who were so anxious for the tutorial. Ack! And oh shoot, I am not surprised that I left out a few things in the supply list. If I didn’t have to buy it for the project, sometimes I forget to add it to the list because if an idea comes up while I’m making something, I just grab it from my stash. But I know, I need to be better about that. So sorry! I hope you didn’t have to take too many trips to the store. :) But I’m gad you were still able to figure it out. And I hope it turned out well for you!! :)

And I added the corrections to the post……thanks so much for letting me know!

-Ashley

A thomas says:

This is excellent and easy to follow.

RobyGiup says:

I LOVE this penguin!!!!! I want to make it for my little nephiew!
    Thanks for the tutorial! :)

Margie says:

THIS IS AWESOME. I LOVE IT. I LOVE PENGUINS. You are a very talented lady and God has blessed you with 3 beautiful children. They are so precious. Keep up the good work. Have you thought of making pattern packets for your costumes. Again, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TALENTS.

Lisa says:

This tutorial is awesome (your children are wonderful, compliments!!!) and you are so great in sewing!!!! I followed your tutorial trying to sew the costume for my baby. Thank you very much!!! :) He liked a lot!!

Patricia says:

I hope my munchkin look as cute as yours!!! the three of them are so cute!!!

Veronica says:

After finding out that my 13 month old grandson was going to be a penguin for Halloween this year. I told his Mommy I wanted to start making his costume’s and started to Google penguin costumes and came across this web site! I am HOOKED! love this site and your babies are sooo adorable, I cannot wait to see what they are going to be for this year? Thank you so much for this adorable costume. Hopefully I will be able to post a Picture of the final costume ~ Veronica!

Megan says:

I just finished making this costume for my five month old, and you’re so right… I giggled throughout the whole process and laughed out loud when I had it all put on her! Thank you so much for the well written, easy tutorial! :)

Rose says:

Great tutorial! I borrowed it and made a few tweaks to make a duckling costume for my little girl. Thanks for sharing!

Kelly m says:

Thank you so much for posting this. I made this costume and adapted it for “Pingu,” a penguin show on netflix streaming that my daughter adores. She’s 2.5 yo and loved her costume so much, she still begs me to wear it. Your diagrams and instructions were so easy to follow, I (an amateur who hasn’t sewn since middle school home ec class) was able to make an awesome costume. Thanks!!!

Dorottya says:

I’m a mom of three and this is the first thing I have ever sewn in my life. Thanks for the great and detailed tutorial my daughter was the cutest of all kids at the playschool. Further, I found out that sewing is fun and not that difficult at all. Many thanks for the new hobby!!!!!

Caudissou says:

Thanks a lot for this so lovely penguin. I just made one for my son, and I love to see him wearing this costume… I just did some little changes for the feet because I did not want him to ead the batting… He loves to eat everything that he shouldn’t… I also used your tutorial for the charming prince, thanks again for sharing!

Tina says:

Thanks a bunch for this. My first sewing project successfully completed. My 11-months old will be wearing this tomorrow. I messed up the hat a bit and changed the feet, I hope it will ‘work’.

209. 208.1
    george wue says:

true. im using this costume for my school talent show because my friend and i are doing a penguin skit. super funny and cute. Hollywood, here I come!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] tutorial from makeit-loveit.com.  There are also some other great free tutorials on this site including Mary Poppins & [...]

2. [...] her daughter and son. Can’t wait to see what she comes up with when she has her third child. Mary Poppins. Ashley from Make It and Love It is another one that is so creative with her children’s [...]

3. [...] We had such great weather last weekend.  That’s when I photographed the kiddos in their Mary Poppins costumes.  [...]

4. [...] The body of the parrot was constructed the same way as this adorable penguin costume. Just using different [...]

5. [...] would make E a costume from just a black track suit with some white for the tummy. But then I found this site and it had a great tutorial for a penguin costume so I made that. It was pretty easy, especially [...]

6. [...]  I really love all her tutorials. Her sewing out does mine to Mars and back, but I try. I have made a couple of her things, my fav being the penguin Halloween costume!  [...]

7. [...] flux RSS, sur Twitter ou sur FacebookVous pourrez vous désinscrire à tout moment. crédit photo Make It and Love It Ashley du blog Make It and Love It s’est lancé dans la confection de [...]

8. [...]  Mary Poppins ~ Let’s go fly a kite with the Mary Poppin’s gang!  There’s a tutorial for Bert, [...]

9. [...] Penguin from Make It and Love It [...]

10. [...] Penguin from Make It and Love It [...]

11. [...] Follow the instructions at Make It Love it [...]

12. [...] not telling them otherwise! ;)  In fact, this theme was in the running last year.  But we did Mary Poppins instead.  (Remember that? Oooh, those were darn fun to make [...]

13. [...] Mary Poppins trio via Make It and Love It [...]

14. [...] cute ideas on Pinterest.  By far my favorite for a group of three was this adorable idea from Make It and Love It. (Those are home-sewn and she has tutorials for all of [...]

15. [...] Mary Poppins Costumes from Make It And Love It [...]

16. [...] got the pattern/idea here and used dresses they had in their closet to draft patterns.  Everything got done but the feet. [...]

17. [...] Food: jell-o, cake, cupcakes, olives, igloo cake pan, penguin cheese, cake2, penguin cake pops Drink: penguin drink bottle Activity: penguin pinata, snow play dough, penguin party game, musical ice-bergs Favors: wind-up toy, penguin pillow Decor: penguin table decor Attire: dress, penguin shirt, penguin costume [...]

18. [...] tutorial aquí [...]

19. [...] Feet This penguin was originally a part of the Mary Poppins’ trio, but who’s to say your tot can’t [...]

20. [...] Penguin Costume DIY from Make It and Love It. [...]

21. [...] Can you tell I like Mary Poppins?! These adorable costumes can be found on the awesome site Make It and Love It! There’s even tutorials!Found via Duet Press on [...]

22. […] P.S. tutorial on the penguin costume here. […]

23. […] Le bébé pingouin: Parce que c’est cute! Pis ça dit: Coucou, l’hiver! (voit tutoriel ici) […]

24. […]  Mary Poppins ~ Let’s go fly a kite with the Mary Poppin’s gang!  There’s a tutorial for Bert, […]

25. […] Halloween Penguin Costume Tutorial from Make It & Love It – Ashley made this costume for her youngest daughter who was almost 8 month old at the time […]

26. […] Blueberry – An outfit from Simplicity 1813, I haven’t picked which yet. – Blueberry’s Halloween costume. She’s going to be a parrot but I’m using this tutorial as the jumping off […]

27. […] little elastic.  (Oh wait….look a little familiar?  Yep, the bodice is very similar to the Penguin Costume from a few years […]

28. […] DIY project and photo credit to makeit-loveit.com […]

29. […] around for a good child’s DIY penguin costume tutorial as a jumping off point and came across this. It is absolutely adorable but, because my child is so much older I felt I needed to alter it a […]

30. […] Grandma Jean made this, using a darth vader costume, a stocking cap, some booties (all bought at a baby consignment store) and some new fleece, and hours of love. She created the costume using the inspiration from this pinterest find. […]

31. […] Pink and Purple Penguin Cookies by Glorious Treats; Little Penguin Cupcake Toppers by Paperspice; Penguin Costume DIY by Make It and Love It; Penguin Birthday Cake by […]

32. […] bodice for the pig is almost identical to the Penguin Costume and similar to the Pascal Costume I have made previously.  A simple shape with a cinched in […]