Halloween Costumes 2011: Accessories for Mary Poppins

Thanks for all the Mary Poppins love yesterday.  You’re all as sweet as can be.

I am so excited to show you the other 2 costumes……..eeeeeeeeh, Halloween is so fun!

. . . . . . . .

In case you missed yesterday………….here is the tutorial to make the Mary Poppins dress

My daughter asks every day if it’s Halloween yet.  Sorry little Miss.

But to finish off the outfit, let me show you the Mary Poppins accessories

She has a lot going on with her ‘Jolly Holiday’ look…….and you don’t want to forget anything.

Ready for the following??

• the hat,
  • the pettiskirt,
  • the boot covers,
  • and the umbrella

So first of all…….the hat.

I just bought a simple white hat here and then picked off the flowers that were stitched on.  Worked great.

Decorating the hat is pretty basic.  I just wrapped some tulle around the base of the hat and tied a big bow in the back.  Then I placed a strip of tulle under the chin and tied it to the tulle on both sides at the base (above the brim) of the hat.  Then I glued on some mini red silk flowers from Michael’s, and covered up part of the knots at both sides.

Pretty easy.  But Mary Poppins has to have a hat!

Next up……..the pettiskirt.

Surprise…….I didn’t make the pettiskirt this time!  Haha.

I have made some in the past (here’s my pettiskirt tutorial here) but just didn’t have time once my kiddos chose costumes.  So I bought one here (the premium pettiskirt).   And actually, because it only cost $16.50, I bought two, to make it even fuller.  The single one is actually pretty full and is a great deal for only $16.50……but I wanted some really big poof.  So for $33, we have a really full pettiskirt that would normally sell for $80+ at boutiques and such.  And we can use it for so many different costumes and dresses.  Yay!  (And just in case you’re wanting to order…..the people over at ‘Always Underpay’ were fantastic with my order.  My shipping was free with a code I used [see if "columbus" still works] and then I talked to them over the phone about quicker shipping.  I payed $5 extra for RUSH shipping and I got it in 2 days, not the 3 days that they estimated.  They are only one state away so if you’re further it could take a bit longer…….but it was sure better than waiting a few weeks for my order.  Loved them!)

And because pettiskirts are generally made to be about knee length (and I wanted mine mid calf), I took the elastic out of both pettiskirts, sewed the two skirts together along the very top……..and then added another 3 inches of fabric to the top to extend the length of my pettiskirt.  I also made sure to add enough so that I could make a new casing for the elastic so that I could re-thread it through at the top.

That was it.

Now………the umbrella.

This sweet little umbrella.  I wasn’t sure how sturdy lace fabric would hold up being pulled in all directions as umbrella fabric.  But, let’s just say I was completely shocked.  The lace holds up great and is such a sweet little touch.  I bought 1 1/2 yards of this nice lace fabric with a scalloped edge, from Joann’s.  I think it was about $8 a yard…..but then I used my 40% off coupon.  Not bad.

Anyway, I found a purple umbrella with the scoop handle on it and decided to take it apart.  All umbrella’s are a little different but here’s how I took mine apart.  I first un-picked all of the threads at the end of each umbrella spoke.

Then I un-picked the threads that secured the fabric about half way up each spoke.

Then, I couldn’t get the top off to remove the fabric nicely…….so I just cut it nice and close to the very top of the umbrella.

Then I taped over the metal parts of the umbrella and then spray painted the purple plastic parts with “Krylon Fusion for Plastic” white spray paint. (I bought it at Wal-Mart.)  I used regular spray paint first but it peeled off.  Bummer.

Then, I cut one of the triangle pieces away from the main umbrella piece to use as a pattern piece.  (I could have unpicked it to get an exact size but I knew I could add some width when cutting to be accurate.)

Then, I cut out 8 triangle pieces with the finished scalloped edge along the bottom.  I used my purple pattern piece but added a 1/4 inch to both long sides and then another inch and a half or so to the top, so that I would have enough length to fold under in the later steps.

Then I sew each piece together along the sides, creating a circle of lace pieces.  Then I serged each edge as well, to make it nice and finished and secure.  (Using a zig-zag stitch would work great too.)

With this new lace umbrella piece inside out, I found the hole at the very top and slid it onto the top spoke of my umbrella.

Then I used quilting thread (normal thread would work too……just wind it more times) and knotted one end and hooked it through the fabric.  Then I wound it tightly around and around the lace fabric and also the base of that post at the top of my umbrella.  Make sure you are winding enough of the fabric so that it doesn’t slip out when the umbrella opens.

Then I knotted the end of the thread and secured it in place.  (You can skip the needle and just wind and tie some thread……but I can get my winding and knots to stay put when I use the needle to knot the ends.  But it’s up to you.)

Then I flipped the lace down over the umbrella and then lined up each seam with a spoke.  Then I used my same needle and thread to sew the end of each seam down to the end of the spoke.  (There is a hole through the sides of each of those white ends.)  I did the same with all of the spokes.

And then after opening it up, it expanded nicely and was nice and taut.  I didn’t even bother sewing halfway up each spoke like the original umbrella was.  It really didn’t need it and I knew this umbrella wouldn’t need to hold the weight of water pouring down on it.  So, I skipped it.

That was it.  SO fun.  And so worth it.

We may need to start re-decorating all sorts of umbrellas.

And lastly……..the boot covers.

These just kind of fell together.   I may do a few things differently next time but they work and give the boot effect.

But these are just little covers that go over some white little heeled shoes that my daughter had.  I made them so that the top flap of the cover would only cover the scoop of the shoe but next time I think I would extend it to go all the way to the toe so that it would just cover everything.  Oh well, next time.  But you can choose what works best for you.

Okay, I’m really sorry but these are hard to see.  The white on white mixed with my bad lighting really produced some poor pictures.  Sorry……but hopefully you can see enough to get the idea. :)

First, I bought a half yard of that stretchy velvet-y knit at Joann’s in the Halloween Fabrics.  I don’t remember the name of it.  It’s the same stuff I used to make the bodice of Cinderella’s dress here.  You could use anything but just be sure it’s stretchy.

I cut a rectangle shape that was tall enough to extend from the heel, all the way up to a little lower than mid calf.  And then I cut it wide enough to wrap around the biggest part of her calf…..with some seam allowance added in there too.  Then I cut a scoop at the center bottom, that would fit over the top of her foot, right up against her ankle.  (Make sure that the stretch is going left to right when you’re looking at the fabric like this.  So if I were to grab the right side and left side and pull…….it would stretch.)

Then I cut a scoop piece that would fit over the top of her foot, that was long enough to cover the shoe and its buckle and such…….and also cover part of the sides of her shoe.  Then I lined it up with the main rectangle piece and cut the same scoop out of the bottom of it.  (Again, make sure the stretch goes from left to right on the little piece too.)

I cut two of each shape for each boot cover.  (So 4 of each for both boot covers.)

Then I folded the rectangle piece in half lengthwise (with right sides together) and the scoop at the bottom corner.  I sewed a seam down the side (which will be at the back of the leg/foot) that contoured the shape of her leg.  I tried to go in at the ankle but out at the heel and calf.  You may need to try this on the leg a few times to get the curve of that seam correct.  And because it’s stretchy, you want it to fit snug so that these will stay up.

Then, I sewed the other rectangle together the same way.  Then I turned one of them right side out and slid the one that was inside out inside of it.  I match up the ends and the scoop and pinned them in place.

Then I placed the two curved pieces together with wrong sides together, matching up the bottom curve, and sewed them together along the edges.

Then I matched up the bottom curve with the curve of the main boot piece and pinned the curved edges together.

Then I sewed them together.

When you flop that piece down, you can see more of a boot shape.

Trim the bottom edges just a bit and then add a bit of bias tape along the bottom edge.  (I made my own bias tape out of  the same stretchy stuff but it was a little difficult to fold.  So I didn’t fold it on the underneath side……only the top edge where you could see.  More on bias tape here.)

I did the same along the top edge of the boot cover…..but I made sure to use a zig-zag stitch so that it would still stretch when going up over the calf.

Then I bought some Cover Button Kits and used red satin to cover 10 buttons.

And then stitched them onto the outer sides of each boot cover.

Then I placed 2 strips of elastic along the bottom of each cover to keep them in place.  I sewed each piece of elastic to each side of the boot cover.

And then I slid the boot cover on her foot first, then the shoe, then slid it down over the shoe and adjusted.

They worked great.

Whew.  And that’s everything.

And completes the Mary Poppins ‘Jolly Holiday’ look.

Remember, click here for the dress tutorial.

And let me know how it works out for you!

Enjoy.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Children, Clothing, Featured, Halloween Costumes, Holiday, Sewing

Comments

55 Responses to “Halloween Costumes 2011: Accessories for Mary Poppins”
    Wendy says:

You are AMAZING! Such fun things you make- so beautiful. Your daughter is a very lucky girl to have such a clever momma!

Jodi says:

This turned out so cute!!!! Love the umbrella. Where were you when my girls were little? Oh yeah, middle school. Lol

Kel says:

Love love love! It’s awesome how you break it down to simple steps. Thank you!

Kristina Noall says:

Ooh, I’m right near the top :) HOLY MOLEY! I can’t believe how talented you are! Not only being able to actually make all of these things, but to figure it out and design them, too! I’m dying to see Bert and to see how you incorporate the baby into all of this.

Stacia says:

You make me tired. :) Thanks for the boot cover tutorial-I think I’ll give it a shot for spiderman! :)

Brittany says:

I wish I knew you! I would love to see her on Halloween!

Smriti says:

You’re an uberly talented lady! I’m a subscriber of your blog and have always silently read and admired all your creations; but I just couldn’t stop myself from applauding you on these! Your attention to detail is amazing!

Aleta LeBlanc says:

I literally just saw some lace vinyl at walmart yesterday. This umbrella could actually be functional as an umbrella with lace vinyl!! The whole costume is amazing! Because of you my daughter’s will get to wear some fabulous costumes. I should have them write you a thank you card :)

Oh my word……what a great idea! I’ll have to check that out and see if it’s strong enough to be sewn through and stretched. Thank you!!

And haha……I’ll be watching the mail! ;)

Brooke says:

Oh my goodness!!! This makes me feel like a 5 year old again. You are SO talented!!
    I absolutely love the umbrella picture of your sweet daughter. So stinkin adorable.

Angela says:

WOW. Just…wow. I feel totally inferior now. :)
    But holy schniekes, you must have some SERIOUS can-do attitude, because i wouldn’t in a million years look at an umbrella (of all things) and think to myself, “oh, sure, I can re-make that…”
    You. Rock.

Tiffany H. says:

i absolutely L.O.V.E. this costume! You have done a phenomenal job! What wonderful memories your children will have!!! You’re AMAZING!

Angela says:

Oh, and I forgot to tell you–I ended up singing “Jolly Holiday” all afternoon yesterday. :)

Nicki says:

This is amazing. Loving the whole outfit. Going to use the boot covers idea to finish my son’s Buzz Lightyear costume.

Every time I read one of your posts, I am left feeling a sense of awe, inspiration, and admiration. Wow, you are so creative and so motivated and I am just too pregnant and tired to do any of these awesome crafts, but boy one day when I have energy again!!! Thanks for the inspiration. :-)

Kristen says:

Would never have thought to re-do the umbrella – love it!

And that looks like maybe crushed velvet that you used for the boot covers?

delia says:

That umbrella rocks my world! I love it! How fun to customize any umbrella. Thanks for the great inspiration!

karomanah says:

oh! amazing umbrella ….love the idea very much
    Ashly you r amazing

Stephanie says:

Thank you for the shoe covering idea!! I have been trying to figure out how I was going to make pirate boots for my 2 year old’s costume.

Jenny Riddle says:

I mean, seriously? I totally want to make one for myself! There’s still a little girl in me that loves to twirl in dresses ;)

Leslie says:

This is absolutely fab! The boot covers really pull the whole outfit together. The umbrella is also super cute! Great great great great costume :)

Wendy F says:

There you go! Making an umbrella! I think you have set the standard for the rest of us a bit too high! You work, Ashley, is beautiful and your attention to detail is amazing. Congrats on an adorable costume!

Wendy F says:

Oh and this is why God gave me boys (2)! Otherwise I’d spend all my time making adorable girl-y outfits like these!!! The guys are aobut all grown up now so, who knows? Girl-y grandchildren might be in my way-off future! :)

Reg says:

Are you sure you have 3 children? Your work is just amazing…..you have so much ambition yet you still take care of your family. Whenever I make something for someone that has taken me a long time….I tell they have to wear it every day for the rest of their lives. I think your daughter needs to wear her M.P. costume at least until she starts college. Beautiful beautiful work.

It looks really wonderfull. All I can do now is sitting and being totalle amazed.

Katie says:

This is beautiful! What an amazingly talented person you are, your children will LOVE looking back on these pictures knowing how much their mom loves them. Thank you for sharing, I’m planning on a Mary Poppins Halloween next year!!

Sandye says:

I dare not let my daughters see this post–they’d be begging for a dress just like this! (and I would not be able to deliver ;)) Thank you so much for posting the accessories tutorials! I will be sewing up some pirate boot covers for my boys soon and this is, by far, the best tutorial I’ve found! I will definitely be using it! Your daughter is so lucky to have a mom like you to sew her up such a gorgeous costume!! :)

Hillary says:

so awesome! My almost 4 year old daughter just fell in love with Mary Poppins for the first time, only 2 weeks ago. So funny. She is already planning to be her NEXT Halloween because of this site. I already made her a costume for this year, so she has to wait. I’m in the process of making your Prince Charming costume for my little boy and I have to say, it is my favorite thing I have ever sewn. You make me a better sewer and I might just have to start on this one early, cause I love it and I have always loved Mary Poppins. Can’t wait to see the rest, cause I have one year old twins (boy and girl) that will have to match their sister.

Robin says:

Uhhhh bring on Bert’s costume. I want to see his striped blazer and hat on the little man.

Bonnie says:

I agree, thank you for going over how to make the boots. I’ve made boots for two Halloweens in a row (Robin Hood and then Pirate) and this year will be a third. I’m determined to get them perfect (for my Flynn Rider) this year with your tute! Thanks so much–you rock!!

Michal says:

Stunning! About the pettiskirt – ha – I was wondering what you did. Just thinking about it makes me tired! Ha. And I also made boot covers last year – pirate style – for my son! Enjoy!

Melissa says:

Thanks for the boot cover tutorial! It may be just what I need for the Flynn Rider costume I’m making. I can’t find brown boot!

Rhonda says:

This is absolutely adorable and amazing! I want a Mary Poppins costume now!

mandy says:

Ashley, you’ve saved me again. Mary Poppins is out of our league, but my 4-year old son is insisting on being a motocross rider. I’ve been trying to work it out in my head, and this is just what I was looking for.

Laura says:

This is the cutest costume I’ve ever seen! Thank you so much for sharing it with us! I love the Bert as well.

Christina says:

That is awesome! I’ve always want to own a lacey parasol but never find one in any stores I’ve visited, now I can try to make it! hanks for the tutorial! :D

Jill says:

A little girl’s dream costume…at least one of them, anyway. Thanks so much.

MSR says:

My 3 1/2 year old just gave me advanced notice that she wants to be Mary Poppins for Halloween this year…not the blue dress, but the red and white one, she says. Thank you for this. I have a summer project on my hands for this summer.

OMG I just love that tutorial for that umbrella I have been looking at those lace umbrellas at stores and they get so expensive! AND i just got an umbrella laying arround thats got part of the cover broken so I perfectly could use that! Thank you so much!

Polly says:

Where did you find the hat.?

Miss Maydra says:

So I have to laugh! Looking up ideas and yours popped up! I thinks it’s funny that we were just talking about this! Thinking that maybe you should have my table for the 3rd!! Your incredible!! Have a happy day friend!

serena says:

Link to the hat is gone! where did u buy it?

Traci says:

So, I’m needing white pettiskirts. The link that you listed is sold out of them- any other sites where I can get them cheep?
    Thanks!

AliyaJ says:

I believe the velvet you found was Crushed Panne. :) I love the umbrella though. Much better than others I’ve seen. :)