Super Simple Leggings: {only 2 fabric pieces}

Chilly weather keeps creeping in.  And what does that mean for my girl’s wardrobe?

Leggings.  Lots of them.

Leggings are such a simple way to keep those little leggies warm.  So why not make like 10 pairs?

And even better………is that I’ll show you how to make them with just 2 cut out fabric pieces.  Not 4, like most pairs of pants.

Quick, easy, and super cute for girls and boys.

But if you don’t like tighter looking leggings for your baby/toddler boy, cut the leg a bit wider……but the rest is the same.

**Update:  If you want to add ruffles or a skirt to some leggings, check out the post here.**

Super Simple Leggings: {only 2 fabric pieces}

(And I know, those pink stripes aren’t matching up along the center seam.  I realized that after I cut it out.  Ack!  But then didn’t have enough fabric to re-cut.  So ignore it.  I’ll hide it under dresses or tunics. Ha.)

Leggings aren’t super pricey at the store.

But when you think about how simple the seams are, how little fabric they use………why not make your own?

And keep it cheap by using old Tshirts (make sure they’re stretchy), old stretchy pants of your own, skirts, dresses, etc.

As long as it’s a stretchy knit, you can make a great pair of leggings (or 2 or 3) out of it.

And come on…….how can you resist those snuggy little leggings on chubby baby legs?

And let me remind you about that double needle (used on a regular sewing machine).

It will make your leggings look nice and neat……and will allow for a good stretch. It’s easy and you’ll love it.  Promise.

I already know we’re going to need about 6 more pairs for my Baby Girl.  (Okay, and her big sister too.)  The chilly weather lasts a while here in Colorado.

Would you like to make a simple pair of leggings?  Or 6?

Remember…..this a good technique for boy leggings/pants too.

And can easily be altered to make a wider leg if you want.

I made my first pair and it took me about 30 minutes.  And then I made 3 more pairs, and it took like an hour.  So if you’re going to make some, make a bunch.  It goes quickly when you throw a few more into the assembly line.  You’ll love them.

. . .

First of all…….the double needle made this project worth my time.  Seriously, don’t skip out on this needle.  It helps things look nice but it also allows for a really great stretch while working with knits……because the back looks like a zig-zag.  But then the front looks so nice and clean.  As long as your machine can do a zig-zag, a double needle should fit on your machine.  And for only a couple of dollars, you will fall in love.  Read more about double needles here.

Okay…….the knits I used:

The pink and green are Michael Miller Interlock Knits (Designer: Patty Young)

The yellow is from an old Tshirt (make sure if you’re using old clothing, that the fabric has spandex or lycra in them to give it some stretch.  Mine was 95% cotton and 5% spandex.  Check the tag.)

The black polka dot was from Hancock back in Georgia, back on the clearance racks.  It’s a good stretchy knit…..more stretchy than the other 3 but all worked great!

Once you have your fabric picked out, you need to draw out a pattern piece.  You only need one pattern piece.  The front and back crotch allowance will be the same.  Since these pants are stretchy, having the front the same as the back will work just fine.  The stretch gives the extra room needed in the bum.  And besides, only having one pattern piece makes things so much simpler.  Hooray.

Grab a pair of leggings (or boy knit pants) that fit.

Then fold them in half and trace around them.  As you’re tracing, add an extra 1 1/4 inch along the top (for the elastic casing), and extra 1/4 inch along the one side, and 3/4 of an inch for the bottom.  You won’t need any extra on the other side……because this edge will be placed on the fold of the fabric.  No outer side seams on the legs.  (And if you’re wanting a wider leg for your girl or boy, just keep it wide.)

Cut out your pattern piece (mark the pattern where the top is so that you don’t confuse it later on) and place the straight edge on the fold of the fabric.

Then, cut it out…….making sure to not cut along the one long edge where the fold is.

Cut another one the same way.   Then open them up and they should both look like this.  Since these are leggings and the leg part is nice and snug, the top section will look wider than the bottom.  This will help you to distinguish between the top and bottom too.

Now, turn one of the pieces over and fold the bottom edge up 3/4 of an inch (or however much extra you cut for your pattern piece).  Pin it in place.

(If you look closely, you will see that I serged the bottom edge before folding it up.  Turns out, it wasn’t worth my time.  It does make it look a little nicer but since knit doesn’t fray it just wasn’t worth it to me.  But if you want to finish your bottom edge, do so before folding up the bottom edge.)

Then insert your double needle.   (More about double needles here.  I’m not kidding…..get one!!)

Sew right along the bottom edge, matching up the right edge with your 1/2 inch marker.  Then you’ll be sure to catch the 3/4 inch that was folded underneath.

**If sewing is stretching your knit fabric too much (common problem with sewing on knit fabric, no worries)…….increase your stitch length so that it jumps over the fabric with bigger stitches.  This should help.  Practice on some scrap fabric if needed.

See how neat and tidy that is?

And the back?  A great little zig-zag-ish seam that will still allow your knit to stretch.  Perfect.

Hem the other leg the same way.

Then place the two pieces together, with right sides together.  Then sew along the two upper side slopes (1/4 inch seam allowance), still using your double needle.

See that double needle stitch?  I also really like that there are 2 seams which means it’s reinforced a but more.  Trim off any excess if desired.

Now fold in half the other way, matching up the legs.  Sew all the way along the inner legs, while still using the double needle.  Trim off excess.

Then fold upper edge down 1 1/4 inches.  Pin in place.

I’m sorry I didn’t photograph the next step but turn the pants right side out so that the double stitch is on the right side of the fabric and then sew all the way around the top edge of the pants, matching up the top edge of the pants with the 1 inch mark on your sewing machine as you’re sewing. (If you don’t have a 1 inch mark, put a piece of tape there.)  But be sure to leave a 2 inch opening along the back edge of the pants.

Then thread some 3/4 inch elastic (I use the non-roll type) through the casing you just created.  Make sure that you cut about an inch extra of the elastic.

Then overlap the elastic 1 inch, then sew into place.

Maneuver the elastic into the casing and sew the opening closed, sewing from the right side of the fabric again.

And that’s it.  Done and completely satisfying, right?

Now make more!

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Since we’re on the subject of keeping those kiddos’ legs warm and snug, you might also love checking out these other legging DIYs:

Baby Boho Leggings

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Featured, Gift Ideas, Re-purposing, Sewing

263 Responses to “Super Simple Leggings: {only 2 fabric pieces}”

wao..great tutorial :)

Wow, they´re amazing! I love the fact that they´re made from only two pieces.

Kay says:

do you think this would work for grown-up leggings too?? I love leggings for me in the winter too, but I can’t find the cute colors/prints I would like. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work, but my only concern would be the fact that I have a bigger bum than a cute toddler. :)

Yes……it would work, but be sure you are using a super stretchy fabric. Because if not, it will be snug in the bum but baggy in the crotch. You can always adjust the crotch slope in the front though and this would help with that problem. Does that make sense? I may have to do a picture tutorial to explain that. ;)

• 3.1.1
        Kay says:

makes perfect sense! thanks so much for this awesome idea!

• 3.1.2
        Dana says:

I’d love a picture tutorial….would I need to adjust that for an older child….say 6?

• 3.1.3
        Linda says:

I am a seamstress and there are patterns for leggings which fit adults. The patterns are also one piece but have the adjustment in the rear.

elle says:

This is exactly how I make leggings for my little one. Where do you get your knit and what kind do you order? The kind in the store is always too flimsy or too thick. I can’t decipher the kinds on the internet – interlock knit, jersey knit, etc. I’m trying to find a kind that’s a weight similar to what you’d find in knit pants in the store, like t-shirt knit.

I know, it’s kinda hard to buy online……I like to feel it. I usually have luck with jersey knit and interlock. But if I want just a little bit for kid stuff, I always check out the thrift store or look at WalMart/Target on their clearance racks. Hope that helps!

• 4.1.1
        Michal says:

Great tutorial. Thanks. What is the quality of the used shirts. skirts, etc. that you use? I once sewed with a used t-shirt but it was too worn and came out “ratty” looking. Not worth the effort. So now I’m cautious with used clothing. How do you do it?

Lystessa says:

This is the way I make all my baby/toddler pajama pants, they’re just wider and more straight-legged if they’re not knit fabric.

I had used a small knit top to make my daughter a pair, and I didn’t bother with finishing the top edge at all. I just left it long and it curls down a little bit. It doesn’t fall down because it is snug in the waist. :^)

Sarah Joy says:

Can I assume these would be appropriate for a baby boy too? (Mine’s about 3 weeks younger than your girl!)

Yes, totally. And if you don’t want them so narrow and snug, just cut the leg a bit wider. Use a pair of pants that he already has and cut around that. God luck! And this is such a fun stage right now with the babies, right? :)

• 6.1.1
        Sarah Joy says:

Yes it is! Thanks for the reply – I love trying your tutorials. They are wonderful with lots of detail & pictures that are perfect to follow. I just wish I had more time in my weeks!

Have you made boy pants this way? I have a 3 week old and am having a hard time finding cute pants for him,

You are amazing…I’ve tried other tutes for these and yours is SO much better! I was just about to break down a BUY a pattern for leggings, because I can’t bring myself to pay $6 each for something I know I could make for about $1.50. Thank you SOOO much!

Katie says:

Oh yay!!! You are my hero! I cannot wait to make these!!! Thank you, thank you!!!

These are so cute! Thanks for the easy to follow instructions!

Brittany says:

I LOVE these!! I am hoping to be able to get a double needle when I run to the store soon! And then I will be set! Maybe I can make a shirt that doesnt rip at the seams when i put it on!

cassie says:

saw this on pinterest. did you ever make the tutorial on how to do these for grown-up leggings?
    casserole14 at gmail dot com
    Thanks so much!

Lindsey says:

I will definitely be making some for my little girl! I already have the perfect fabric. Thanks for sharing!

This is so crazy that you did this! After reading your blog last wednesday I was feeling craft so made a pair the exact same way!! (except I used the natural hem of a t shirt for the ankles.) LOVE YOUR SITE!!
    Ps……and your kids are super cute too!

Amanda J says:

purely awesome!!

Leigh Anne says:

These are adorbs! My baby girl is just a few weeks behind yours so I’m def. gonna have to give these a try!

love it! I need to get to stitchin’ on some leggings for Nicole, I made her some earlier in the summer but she needs more. She is four years old and REFUSES to wear jeans, I have to be mean and trick her into it some days, but I have mostly given up. “Comfypants and leggings’ is all she wants. So for fall/winter for my girls I’m sticking to a palette (browns/tans/khakis/pinks/greens/creams) that all matches each other so she can get dressed easily without looking crazy, AND I’m trying to have a lot of tunics/dresses with leggings. (plus all those colors look good on both my girls, who have very different skin tones, and the older likes to match the younger)

Some fun ideas for these btw: Shirr a bit on the outside (opposite the seam) add decorative buttons in that same spot, add a ruffle, add a ruffle that is like a ‘circle skirt’ if you know what I mean, put cute patches on the knees, applique up the outside of one or both legs, reverse applique up the outside of one or both legs… Especially with the applique you could make two pairs of leggings out of one brown tshirt and have two totally different looking pairs. Great for if you’re crazy like me and aim for a ‘palette’ or ‘cohesive look’ in your kiddo’s wardrobe!

Rose D., Frenchtown, NJ says:

Oh, I LOVE these! I haven’t been able to find any leggings I like for my 4 year old lately. Thanks for the tutorial.

mandy says:

Amazing! A few months ago, I found a wonderful white and heather grey striped knit shirt at a resale shop. It’s been waiting for the perfect project, and I’m sure this is it.

Andrea says:

those are so cute! great tutorial as well, thanks for sharing

Jennica says:

THIS IS AWESOME!!! I cloth diaper and there is never enough room allowance for my baby girls fluff. NOW I can make them with a little more room to fit nicely over her clothed bum :)

JayBee says:

This is why I love this blog! There’s a baby on the way and though I got tons of onesies and PJs I’m sorely lacking in bottoms. This’ll help TONS!

Kate says:

This is awesome! I only went and bought two pair yesterday, but now will use them as a pattern to make more! Thanks x

Kristina Noall says:

Another great tutorial! I may try to make my little guy some pajama pants now.

Question though–I bought a double needle after you told us about it, and though I do like it, I’ve had some problems. It often jumps a stitch so that one stitch on the “nice” side is two or three times as long as it should be, even after I adjusted the tension, the stitch length, etc. Also, after I used it on some knit stuff, I’ve noticed (after a couple washings) some broken threads and seams coming apart because of it. (Maybe my thread was too cheap?)

Any idea what I’m doing wrong? Any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Ashley!

Hmmmm……that is strange. I wonder if it is the thread. But if it’s skipping stitches I wonder if it is something with the machine. I don’t really have any advice, except to get it fixed!!! Haha! ;) Because you need that double needle to work right. It’s so fun. But oh, if the thread is breaking after washing, yes, it’s probably cheap thread. I haven’t had any problems at all with the stitches coming undone. But also, if the settings aren’t right on your machine, it’s not creating a good sturdy stitch either and that could be why it’s falling apart……, ack, it could be either. Or a combination! (Maybe it’s the bobbin or how it was wound?? Or maybe rethread the two spools up top. Maybe they’re twisted??)

Good luck!

• 24.1.1
        Kim says:

I know this is a year later, but….my machine was skipping stitches too. would be ok on 2 ply non bulky material, but anything else and my machine was crazy. Turned out it needed a timing adjustment at the repair shop. if you haven’t had your machine cleaned and tuned for awhile, it’s worth it!

Sandy says:

I just made 3 pairs of these for my girls’ Christmas, and the 1st pair had this problem. I lowered my tension, and it wasn’t a problem at all afterwards. (I’m definitely a novice, but maybe that’ll help?)

With knits, a ball point double needle is better, so it won’t break the knit threads of the fabric. Sharper point for woven fabrics.

• 24.3.1
        Elaine says:

Right. Knits need the ballpoint needle to avoid those skipped or elongated stitches. Haven’t seen a ballpoint double needle but will have to look for them. You could make two rows of stitching if you can’t find a double needle.

Taryn says:

Actually, the best type of double needles for this project are pretty easy to find -I have found Schmetz “Stretch” double needles at Joanns’s; and “stretch” needles are even better than ballpoint ones on knit fabrics w/spandex (also called Lycra or elastane) that leggings require. They also fix the skipped stitches issues I’ve had. The sizes are set at either 2, 4, or 6 mm apart, and they come in 75/11, 80\12, and 90\14. The pack says Stretch at the top, and the needle spacing in mm and needle size is the last line of numbers,as in ” 4.0/ 75″ – definitely the preferable size for most lightweight knits, with the most RTW -look finish IMHO, as the very last set of numbers centered at the bottom. I do find that they don’t always carry all the sizes all the time, so when you see them, stock up! (or maybe ya’ll already do, and that’s why I never seem to be able to find the full assortment!)Hope this helps -it was definitely a life-changing discovery for me!

I had the same problem with having stitches longer in one row than the other. It looked messy. Had to go back to one needle.

Christine Felde says:

You might want to try changing your sewing machine needle. Experts say the machine needle should be changed every eight hours! Or perhaps try a ball point needle on the knits you are sewing.

Patrice says:

One word….L.O.V.E. !!!!

Magen says:

Thank You so much! I can’t wait to make some for my boys (and how I wish I had a little girl!) Thank you so much for explaining the double needle. I bought some when the fabric store in our town went out of business, but I have been too scared to try it out and I didn’t know if I could even use it on knits, but I am definitely going to go practice tonight. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Beth says:

Awesome! I have the most perfect black and purple stripe fabric to make some for my daughter, I’ve just been too much of a looser to start, now I’m excited about it again, she’s going to be so excited when I finish them!

You are honestly my favorite sewing blog! I want to be like you when I grow up! HaHa! I was trying to make your braided neck dress for my niece and I was so mad at my knit t-shirt. I don’t think I am completely confident with sewing with knits! I feel like I haven’t figured out the secret yet, but I may have to try these! I saw the most adorable little knit hoodie jacket in the baby Boden catalog for a boy and I really want to attempt it, so maybe these would be my “warmers” to that project! Thanks for your clear cut tutorials and awesome sewing advice! I’m a better seamstress, because of you!

Hi says:

What if I don’t have a pair that fits? How do I make a pattern? Jeans would be too wide.
    when ever I sew with knits they stretch way to much. I tried making a tank top and it fell
    right off. Not good.
    Your baby girl looks good with leggings on. It’s those chubby legs!

Lovin' the Leggins says:

I love this tutorial! I really appreciate the wonderful ideas that you post every week and I should comment way more often than I do.

Christin says:

The fabric store where i live just got in the ruffle fabric, and the woman at the store was making leggings with it …so stinkin cute but i am thinking, there is no way i could make leggings. Can i just say you are amazing, i am so excited to try these!

You TOTALLY could make them with the ruffles. Don’t be scared. In fact, I should hurry and make some out of ruffles. Cute!

• 31.1.1
        Christin says:

Well Ashely I made them in the ruffles and they are very cute i even made a cute pillowcase top to go with them for my 4 month old twins now if i can find the time to make the other outfit we will be set! Thanks, I am having a blast with all this fun stuff you post.

Silvana says:

Super simple y bueno bravo, Me encanto!!! …

Gracias adoro tu blog es fantastico”!

Rosie says:

I swear you are a mind reader. I was just thinking today that my little girl needed some leggings to go under her dresses now that it’s cold. I’ll have to give these a whirl!

Hi says:

I am wondering if it would be possible to make a dress, like with braided straps or something like that, out of that material that has a big row of elastic at the top (know what I’m talking about?). I am sure it’s possible and that is what the cloth is made for, but I would like to know how to do it. Thanks so much for all the tutorials you do!

Danielle says:

I am SO in LOVE with these! I bought some knit to make your cute baby hats and of course got carried away with quantity! I love that I can now have leggings and hat that could match! THANKS!!!!

I love them. so cute! I know that the weather stays chilly for a while in CO cause I also live there. I love that part though LOL

Elizabeth says:

You seriously read my mind. I have a 5 month old girl and was just thinking she needs some leggings for the upcoming cooler weather. I have a stack of jersey t’s from Walmart that I’ve picked up whenever they are on sale and they will be perfect for this.

it’s awesome, This article is very helpful and gave me inspiration, thanks for sharing….love it n make it;)

Amanda says:

Woo Hoo!!!! I was just pondering cleaning out our dresser drawers & was wondering what to do with all of the old t’s… now I know! :)

Okie Girl says:

I love this tutorial! I’m addicted to Old Navy and we don’t have a store in Mexico, which is where I live right now. I am going to buy a double needle and whip up some of these for my little girl! Thanks Ashley!

RobyGiup says:

I LOVE double needle!!!

Lindsay says:

Love it! These will be great for my daughter! I need to try out that double needle!

Irina says:

Lovely idea, my girl loves legging and I find them so useful as they cover the knees and minimise bruises after a fall. Thank you for the great tutorial and explanation, I will try them especially as I have a double middle in my needle box. One question- I only recently got into sewing stretchy fabrics, I realised I have a special stitch on my sewing machine for stretch fabrics but it shows kind of zig zag on the right side, but I would prefer straight stitch. Do you have any suggestions? May thanks, Irina

Fifi says:

these are too cute!!

Just blog hopping this afternoon and came across yours…looking forward to more of your posts!!

your newest follower!

Allison says:

Hooray! We can never get enough of these during the fall/winter/early spring. It hadn’t occurred to me to make them. Thanks so much for posting! So excited. :)

kim m. says:

Yes, leggings inexpensive to purchase, but the fabric prints available are SO darling! I also need a striped pair for a witches costume and haven’t been able to find what I’m looking for. Now I can just make them. Thanks for another great tutorial!

Yes, this will make making leggings and maybe shorts a ton easier. Do you recommend this for shorts?

Thanks so much for breaking it down!

abby says:

Thos are perfectly fantastic. i am going to use this to make my daughter some for the cold months. maybe myself too. love leggings!

mich m says:

love the leggins – did you make the cute top too? would LOVE to make that (or something simular) its fab!

Jensa says:

Random question – did you buy your lil’ sweetie’s shirt or did you make it? I have family pics coming up and gray & yellow is the theme I’m going with…I absolutely love her teeny shirt! Thanks!

Shannon says:

Love these I think I’m going to have to try this. I found you through Pinterest with your Abigail booties and have already made multiple pairs for my girl. Now for leggings to go with! I was wondering though if/how you could a little lace cuff to the bottom of the legs? And if you could what kind of lacy would you use?

Erika says:

THANK YOU! I was just unsuccessfully shopping online for some more manly leggings for my 2 yr old son’s halloween costume. This is just what I need! ;-)

Michelle says:

She is a doll and the leggings are adorable. I love all the patterns!

Kristy says:

I don’t know if I’ll make them for everyday but I love this because I can NEVER find what I want when I want it! Thankyou!

Maribeth says:

Love your leggings! Just wondering–did you make that cute flower in the picture? I love it! Any tips on how to would be great!!

Jess K. says:

I love this legging design. I featured them!

rachel says:

Does the double needle need to be one made for knits? thanks!

leah says:

any pointers on getting the elastic not to roll after many washings? Or maybe it’s really the casing that’s rolling, but either way it’s not comfy!

darlene says:

hi .. i’m not ashley, but i do sew … to keep the waist band from rolling, do what is called *stitch in the ditch* … the *ditch* is (in this case) the front and back seam … stitch in the middle of seam after you’ve made the leggings just through the elastic … that will keep the waistband from rolling …. if there were side seams, like on some clothing you make, stitch in the ditch in all four seams — two sides, back and front … hope this was clear ….

Sarah says:

Thanks so much for this! I had never made anything like that before but you were right, it was really really easy! I used an old shirt of mine. What made it even easier is that I lined up the bottom hem of the shirt to the bottom hem of the pants so I didn’t have to do that part. And something else you were right about, I want to make more! I didn’t think I had anymore fabric to use but I just looked in my fabric stash and found 4 more kinds of stretchy knit fabric to use, plus another cotton/spandex shirt I was getting rid of! I may have to go look for some matching tops for some of them, but I can get them cheap at Once Upon a Child. Thanks again!

This is such a cute idea! One question tho! I have never made anything like this before and I am pregnant with my first! I am not sure how big/ small to make the pattern. Can you give me an idea for measurements?

Lara says:

These are darling! I have a pile of cute knit fabric and haven’t had any plans for it.. I love these and my little girl looks so cute in leggings! Thank you for the wonderful tutorial and darling pictures. Those double needles are so amazing.. I need to get sewing!

Lindsey says:

I am so excited to make some of these!!! I am due in 3 weeks and all my baby girl clothes are not the right season…This will be perfect for making those clothes work this winter!

Clover says:

I just finished the prototype and they are so cute. I need to find a baby to try them on I want to make a bunch for my niece to come:-). Thanks! I just used my stretch stitch and it doesn’t look as professional it worked great!

Mary says:

Thanks for this tutorial! I just whipped up a pair in about 20 minutes using my serger. Love it!

Kim Norstedt says:

Thank you so much for this project. I made my 3 year old a pair with the hounds tooth print…GO ALABAMA…ROLL TIDE!

Eli says:

These look great, but is there any way to make them without a double needle? :( Would a zigzag stitch work maybe?

Megan says:

Love it! what would be the best way to make a pair a size bigger than what you currently have? I cloth diaper and so my LO is quickly filling out her current size. I would love to just make bigger ones instead of buying. Would you just add an additional inch on the three sides that are not cut on the fold?

Hey Megan……I would add another 2 inches to the top. That way, they can stretch and fill out if needed but you won’t be adding width to the leg area. Hope that helps!

Beth says:

Just used the tute on fleece the results are soo cute! Thanks!

Abby says:

So cute! Just made a pair of jeggings for my almost 3-year old daughter with some stretchy knit denim… love! Thanks for giving me the courage to try out my twin needle!

Nancy says:

Do you have a tutorial for the cute yellow flower headband that your daughter is wearing in this tutorial?

darlene says:

these are so darling and easy … i just wanted to add that if you had an older child with a longer crouch area, you can always add an inch or two to the back so it rides higher on the back … i’m making these for granddaughters who are almost 8 and 6 … i know they will be so cutie ….

Erin says:

So I learned a couple of things making these, and I thought I’d share in case it helps someone else: 1) Most of the knit you can find at fabric stores (I went to Joann) are just two-way stretch, whereas the leggings sold in stores have four-way stretch and some built-in goodness like Lycra, etc. If you want a truly snug fitting legging, these knits won’t do it. I’m currently looking for fabric like what I’m looking for (tips accepted!). 2) Wash and dry your fabric first! Agh. This is a beginner’s mistake, I know. But I often make non-clothing items for which the washing/drying doesn’t make a huge difference. So I didn’t, and now I have four pairs of floods for my little girl. This is especially true given the fact that I think these knits were pretty much cotton. So of course, lots of shrinkage!

3) I had a lot of trouble with the thread tangling and then eventually breaking–often. Like several times per step. I’d re-thread and start over. Not sure what the trouble was. Any idea why this happens? Is this normal with double needles? Mine was a smaller size. I use a Janome, not a digital.

Other than these little things, the project was great! And given the fact that they no longer fit my daughter, I’ll be making several more. Very simple. Thanks!

Melanie says:

I used this to make my little one a pair of leggings for dance class. I posted pics and details of how it went on my blog today!

They turned out great- thanks for the tutorial!

Tara says:

Your tut is the bomb-diggity! I’m made a pair for my daughter from an orange top I have so now I want to add a pumpkin on the butt or something, but just so you know, I am totally doing a blog post and linking back to your tut. Can I use the group pic of the ones you made along with mine? Also, I didn’t have a double needle. I don’t even own a sewing machine. I have a friend’s on loan while taking a sewing class, but they still came out better than expected. Thanks, I love them!

Juli W. says:

I made a pair of these for my boy (I left them narrow and tight because I LIKE them like that) out of a brown and grey striped shirt. I absolutely love them! Thank you so much for this awesome tutorial.

Holly says:

I absolutely love your blog! I went and bought a double needle and started making a pair of these pants. When I started sewing, my needle broke. I took the needle back to the store, and they told me I can only use a 2-mm needle with my machine. Does that sound right, and will that work for this project? I have a Janome machine. Thanks for your help!

Andrea says:

Just made these! Thanks so much for the great tutorials… you make everything seem actually do-able :) They look amazingly sweet on my baby girl :)

Joolez says:

What a great tutorial… this was the first piece of clothing I ever made and thanks to your great tutorial it worked out :) Thanks a lot!

Brittney says:

these are incredible!! i’m a totally sewing newb but i’m thinking this might not be too complicated. lol…then again it may be harder than i think! :P frankly, i don’t even know how to switch out needles yet…nor have i tried any other needle or anything! it’s getting warm here anyways but i will bookmark it for this fall! hopefully i’ll be past beginner by then!

Sooo cute! Can’t wait to try sewing these!

julie cruz says:

Where do you get the little Square with an “M” on it?

These are super cute! What a great tutorial, now I have to go find some fabric.

Winnie says:

These are so cute, I love all your stuff and tutorials. Is there a tutorial for the cute top your baby girl is wearing as well?

Teena says:

How do I know how much Elastic to use?

Dri says:

Just wondering the same thing!

• 85.1.1

I’ve not made the leggings yet, but when I make tutus with elastic, the general rule is to measure the waist of the one your making this for, then subtract about 1-2 inches, (probably closer to the 2inch), then I sew the elastic with about a 1″ overlap. You might even subtract 3 inches if your child is a skinny minny. The exact subtraction is just something you will figure out from experience, but this is how others have explained it to me. Hope this helps. :)

Krysti says:

I just made a pair of leggings out of a stretchy dress I don’t wear anymore. They turned out great and I am so impressed with myself :)

Heidi says:

Thank you so much for the awesome tutorial! I have been looking for these for my little boy and all I can find are the big baggy ones. He looks so much cuter in the fitted one. I can’t wait to make them. I hope you don’t mind, I posted this to my blog (and gave you credit of course because I am not a thief or a jerk).

Maureen says:

Thanks for the detailed instruction — a beginning sewer like me appreciates that!

Jordan says:

Thanks so much for the tutorial! I just made a pair of these for my daughter and they turned out great! So easy and I finally got to use my double needle that I have been too scared to even try! love Love LOVE this!

Heidi says:

I tried them and they turned out adorable!! Please take a look at the pics if you get a chance, I also included a few tips on snags that I ran into (mostly just due to being a novice sewer). Thank you so much for posting this! Here is a link to the photos and tips.

cara says:

I finally made thses and used an upcycled tshirt..they turned out so cute I posted them on my blog! thanks for the tutorial

Yogamama says:

I love these leggings! They are officially the first article of clothing I have sewed for my 20 months old. :) I blogged about it:
    I made a few changes – I didn’t want to buy a double needle so I just used a zig zag stitch and since I was making it from a used shirt I just cut it with the bottom hem of the shirt at the bottom so I could skip stitching the bottom and get it done faster! Naptime is only so long.

Am really impressed and encouraged cos have been wanting to learn how to make leggings and here i have a tutorial. I will try it out but my challenge will be the double needle machine which i dont have nor have i seen before. I will try and ask those that sell around my neigbourhood. Thanks and God bless from Nigeria

Katrina says:

These came out so cute! Thanks for the great inspiration! At first I used all plain old t shirts, but then started using ones with logos from my husbands throw away pile! People keep asking where I got Hurley and Volcom baby leggings!!

safiya says:

thanx a lot for this tuto!! i could have done it myself but i’m more confident with explanations, just to be sure i do it well!lol

Thank you so much!! I am one of those mommas that tries to keep my girls atleast semi-modest. I have been having trouble finding “bike shorts” or anything to go under their skirts and dresses (at 2 & 6 they do not remember to keep them down). I used your tute to make them some capri leggings for early fall, THANK YOU!! I whipped up the first pair in about an hour, including making the pattern and finding fabric from my stash :)
    I stilll consider myself a newbie, I learned to follow a bought pattern and how to alter to fit when I was 12 but this is the first time I have made a pattern from something else.
    I can’t wait to make my girls a bunch of these for each season as they get bigger, and hopefully some for myself too??
    Thank you so much for giving me more confidence in my ability to make exactly what my daughters want :)

Natalie says:

Thanks for the great tutorial. I conquered my fear of knits with this project and learned a few things along the way. I made 2 pairs of stretch denim leggings for my almost 5 year old. I stitched the waistband in rather than using a casing, just a personal preference, but everything else was wonderful.

Jean says:

I kinda want to make some…. for me. : )

Adriana says:

Just finish 6 leggings for my two year old girl, she looks so cute and they are very comfortable. Thank you so much for sharing :)

Gia says:

I made 4 pair of these yesterday for my 4 & 6 year-old girls. It was SOOO easy, and they are adorable! Awesome tutorial.