Little Boy Football Tshirt (with mock shoulder pads)

First of all, I have a fantastic new sponsor to share with you today.  Fashionable Fabrics (found here) has fabric, fabric, and more fabric.  Okay and trim, notions and patterns too…….but my goodness, they have a gorgeous selection of gotta-have-it designer fabrics.  (I am kind of a fabric junkie, so of course, I fell in love.) So I dare you to go over there and check out their prices for their beautiful designer prints.  You’ll be happy you did. Welcome Fashionable Fabrics……glad to have you!

(Fashionable Fabrics can always be found on my sidebar as well.)

. . .

Okay, before getting into the shirt, I have to share a super find.  Over at Pick Your Plum (you know, that fantastic Deal-A-Day site) they are selling gorgeous teal buttons, with burnt edges.  Can you just imagine the possibilities with these beauties?!!  And not just cheapy ones………they are made from vegetable material, which are super hard and high heat resistant.   I figured you’d all want to know about them too…….because they’re only $4.50 for 12 buttons.  Such a good deal.

Go here before they sell out.  (And then try back tomorrow for their next good deal.)

. . . . .

Our 4 year old girl and our 3 year old boy play really well together.  Well, they fight really well too.  But for the most part, they’re buddies.  And when our 4 year old daughter started a ballet class, he wanted to go with her.  We told him that when he’s 4, he can take a class……whatever kind of class he wants.

He asked if he could take a basketball class.  We said sure.  So he asked if he could take a baseball class.  We said sure.  Then he thought and thought and then asked with big excited eyes……….”Can I take a footbal class??“  Sure buddy.

So he talks a lot about this football class he wants to take when he’s 4.    And since he reminds me about 17 times a day about this class he’s going to take (my gosh, his lips need a zipper sometimes)……..football has been on the brain lately.

So when I was turning a plain long sleeve T into a sports-like shirt, with the number 03 (because he’s 3) on the front……I decided to make it look more football-ish, and add mock shoulder pads.

It was quick and he likes it.

And it only made him mention football like 5 more times than the usual 17.  So that’s not too bad.  ;)

When he put it on……he was giggly.  Really giggly.

Maybe he just really likes it.  (But it’s not hard to impress this 3 year old.)

I bought the plain Tee and then used old blue knit scraps for the details.  Worked great.

And something this quick and easy that makes him smile…….I don’t mind making 6 more for this little guy.

Would you like to make your own little Football Tee?

First of all, I bought the Tee at Target for about $5, I think.  If you can’t find any plain long sleeved Tshirts for this cooler weather, add long sleeves to a short sleeved Tee, like I did here.

Now, cut 4 oval shapes (2 for each shoulder pad) that are a good size for the tshirt size you’re using.

Now, place 2 of the ovals together at a time, and sew diagonal lines across the oval……and then sew ones going the other way, perpendicular to the first set.

(But then, I changed my mind and used a light grey thread and re-traced all of my lines.)  Do the same thing to the other should pad.

Next, turn them over and iron some same oval shaped double sided fusible web to the back……and then pull the paper backing off.

(What is this fusible stuff?  Click here to see an example.)

Then place them right where you want them on the shoulders of the Tee and iron them down.

Then zig zag around the edges, to keep them in place.

Do the same to both sides.

Then apply some fusible web to the back of more of your knit scraps and then draw your numbers onto the paper back, but make sure they are mirror image.  (I did this on my knit baby blankets here.)  Cut out and iron onto the front of the shirt and then zig-zag, just like the shoulder pads.

And that’s it.

A new little football Tee.

Comments

25 Responses to “Little Boy Football Tshirt (with mock shoulder pads)”
    tai says:

very cute great job!

That is so cute. I have to make one for my son.

Ali says:

I love love love this! My 2 1/2 year old will love it too. He loves all sorts of “ball” sports. Thanks for sharing this neat idea!

Angela says:

my litte cousins would love this!

Shiv says:

Thank you so much for the heads up and intro to pick your plum. I bought some of those swank buttons and am excited to see what deals they’ve got coming. love your site too!

Katie says:

Where were the buttons from? They aren’t listed on the pick your plum website anymore and I want some!!

Kaylan says:

So cute! I have to make one asap!!

Meaghan says:

Love it….I’m so used to doing flowers and girly things that this would even be nice for one of my girls for a change….just use bright colours and floral fabrics.

Jill says:

Cute shirt! I love how kids get stuck on something and that’s all they talk about:)! Fun times! Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!

Hailey says:

This is so cute! I am a 15 year old girl, and this is even something I would wear!!!

Kim V says:

Just have to say– that little boy is so cute! My little boys are 17 and 19–not so little any more! Enjoy that little guy. They get big fast.

I’m loving these last couple posts on boy stuff! I love girl stuff, but sewing for boys is just too fun, too! AND BTW…I ended up figuring out the hoodie thing…not sure if you saw that I had emailed you, but I got it worked out! Thanks for the inspiring stuff you do! :) I love it! :)

Vanessa

Louise says:

You just helped me check off another Christmas gift for my 3-y.o. grandson!!! Thank you. This is a great idea!!!!!

~Louise

Karen says:

Thanks for another boy project! Actually I’ve been looking for an idea of something to sew for my 10 year old nephew for Christmas and I think this fits the bill! Also thanks for the link to your previous tutorial about adding long sleeves to summer shirts. While we actually probably have enough long sleeve shirts for my 18 month old now he has some t-shirts that I just love and he will definitely outgrow them by next spring. Now we can use them for a few months more! Especially since I’ll be lengthening them with the added piece on the bottom.

Chelsea says:

Oh my gosh, this is so cute! And he is ADORABLE! I love it!

Whitney says:

I love his. So cute how you came up with this idea. did you use stencils for the numbers?

Hilal Timur says:

so cute.. i love it

kendascrafts says:

Such a neat idea! Looks great!

Violeta says:

Hi Ashley!
    Hello from Bulgaria :) I’ve been reading your blog for months and I love both the blog itself and your brilliant ideas!
    I would like to pick your brains about something that has been bothering me for a while :) I have a pair of not so old jeans that got worn out bethween the tights. Today i’ve shearched the google and guess what – seems like it is a world wide problem and nobody knows how to recycle/repair them so that they can stil be wearable and look nice. So i thought that if there is anybody who can do something about it, this is you! Come on, help the poor people around the world to save their beloved jeans, Alshey :)))
    PS. By the way, the only tip I read on the internet is “Lose weight!”, which is not my case though (I am 172 cm, 62kg (136.4 lbs)) I quess it is just a really widespread problem that needs to be solved and the one who do it should be awarded the Nobel prize :)))

Kirsten says:

Love the idea! I’ll be adding it to the site and linking to your designer profile soon.

Thanks for sharing!

Kirsten
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

Sanne says:

Hi.

This is so CUTE. I’m gonna make it for my son.
    But than a baby shirt. My son is 6.5 months old.
    But i think it look great.

Greetz from the Netherlands.

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...