Fabric Storage Boxes (per your request)

Okay, the fabric storage box tutorial is here.

(Sorry for the little tease last friday and no actual tutorial.  We were trying to get on the road for our trip to ID…..so things got crazy last week.  But we’re here.  And safe.  And enjoying Idaho.  “Hi Idahoans!!”)

I’m guessing there are probably 100 different ways to make fabric boxes though.  Square, rectangle, angled edges, stackable, etc.  And then the thickness can be super stiff, thin and foldable, thick and soft with batting, flexible, etc.  I mean, my word, once I started looking at storage boxes at the store……I was shocked at all of the variety.

(And last year, I even made storage boxes out of cardboard here, if interested.)

So for today’s fabric boxes, I kept things moderately simple……and not too costly.  Because then what’s the purpose in making them myself?  (Other than the fact that you can make them the exact color and print you want.  And that is usually enough of a reason for me!  But you know what I mean…)

Anyway, maybe some of you have made fabric storage boxes before……..but here’s my version.

(And yeah, I’ll be making a few more.  But I ran out of time before our little trip and was excited to show you them anyway.)

The boxes have side handles…….and a front window to slide in a content label.

So what kind of stuff do you need organized?  Toys?  Sewing supplies?  Cords and chargers?  Diapers and wipes?  Toilet paper?  Whatever it is……you can always switch it up with the little window that you can slide labels in and out.

But what’s keeping those bins nice and upright?  Nope, not cardboard (though I did consider that).  I slid in pieces of plastic canvas between the layers.  I was actually thinking of using thick sheets of heavy duty plastic but couldn’t find anything that worked as I walked through the craft store.  Until I came upon these.  Worked like a charm.

So make some for the kids room, for your craft room, for the storage shelves in your den, up in that one empty spot on the book shelf……..or even to throw in the car between the bucket seats.  Who doesn’t need an extra storage box or two.

Anyway, would you like to make some for yourself?

Okay, first off……I bought all of my supplies at Joann Fabric.  But you could purchase these items anywhere.  The canvas could even be purchased online, I’m sure.

But this is the type of canvas I bought.  (It’s that stuff that you can sew through with a needle and yarn and create designs and book covers and such.)  And if you click on it to enlarge it, it says that it’s ultra stiff plastic canvas.  The sturdier the better because you want your boxes to have good shape.

The fabric I chose was some home decor fabric.  So like a thick fabric that they sell for like outdoor fabrics, or to recover wooden chairs or stools with.  But not that super thick couch-like upholstery fabric.  That would be hard to work with….and too heavy.

**Each box measures ( in inches) 9.5 tall x 11 wide x 8.5 deep.**

To begin, cut out an outer piece and a lining piece of fabric that are both 40 x 14 1/4 inches.  Then cut two pieces of fusible interfacing that same size.

Then iron the interfacing to the “wrong” side of the fabrics.

Then sew both fabric pieces into tubes, sewing the two shorter ends together with right sides together.

Use a 1/2 inch seam allowance and you can either zig-zag (and trim) the raw edges or serge them.

Do the same thing with the lining piece and set aside.

Now, turn the outer fabric tube to the right side and iron the seam flat open.  Then fold this fabric tube flat, with the side seam exactly along one side.  Then place a pin along the other side, right at the top, just to mark the exact other side of the tube.  The side seam will be the exact back of the box and the pin you just placed will be the exact front of the box.

Then open up the tube just a bit and fold the tube together again, matching up the side seam with the pin (the blue pin below) that marks the “front” of the box (that you placed in the last step), right in the center.  Press the tube flat again, giving you new side edges.  Place pins at each end at the top (see the yellow pins?).  These are going to be the exact center of the sides of your box.  Essentially you just divided the tube into 4 quarters.

Next, you’ll be attaching handles on the sides.  Cut out 2 strips of fabric that are 8.5 x 3 inches.  Fold each strip together lengthwise and sew the long edges together using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Then turn each tube right side out.  (Need help turning a tube right side out?  Click here)

Iron them both flat with the seam going along the back side.

Then fold each end towards the back about 3/4 of an inch.  Pin in place.

Then turn over and place the handle about 2 inches from the top upper edge, making sure to center the middle the handle right where the pin is at the top edge.  And to make the handle bubble out, place the two edges only 6 inches apart.

Then sew each end down……making a box with an “X” through it to make it nice and sturdy.

Next cut out a piece of clear vinyl (this stuff comes on big rolls at the fabric store) that is 4 1/2 x 3 1/4 iches (or whatever size you want.

Then attach some 1/4 inch double folded bias tape to the edges.  (More on bias tape here.)

Then center it on the front side of the tube, right below the pin that you put to mark the center.  Place it about 3 1/2 inches below the top top edge.

Then sew around the outer 3 edges of the window, attaching it to the main fabric.

Now, slide the lining inside  of the outer fabric, with “wrong” sides together.  Match up the raw edges.

Line up the back seam of the outer fabric with the side seam of the lining fabric.

Now pin the edges of the outer fabric and the lining together along the top and bottom.  Now place the back of the fabric box towards you, with that seam running right down the center.  The front and back of the box will be 11 inches wide.  So place a ruler right on top of that seam and line up the 5 1/2 mark (which is half of 11) with the seam and then place a pin at each side, 11 inches apart.  (So, at the “0″ mark and the “11″ mark.)  Place several pins down the front of the box, marking this back section.

Then connect those pin marks with a chalk line, which is where you will be sewing a line later on.

Draw the 2 chalk lines down the back, that are 11 inches apart.  Then do the same to the front as well, making sure to center the 11 inch distance below the center pin that you placed on the front of the tube.  So now you have 4 vertical chalk lines running down the tube.  They are 11 inches apart in the front, which makes them 8 1/2 inches apart on the sides.  Now, sew down those chalk lines, only sewing through one layer of the outer fabric and one layer of the lining fabric with each seam.

Here’s a view from the side.   The orange arrows are pointing to the seams that are 8 1/2 inches apart on the side.

And see what you’ve created?  4 little sections that can open up.

Now measure up 4 3/4 inches from the bottom and mark with pins.  Draw another chalk line (if you want) all the way around the bottom, connecting those pins that are all 4 3/4 inches up from the bottom edge.

Sew along that chalk line, all the way around, only sewing through the one layer of outer fabric and the one layer of lining fabric.  So, you are sewing one big circle and the tube should still be open.  This line just creates little compartments to slide your canvas in later.

Now, turn the tube inside out with the upper edge at the top and the exact sides right at the sides and the front and back directly in the exact center.  (The front and back vertical lines should match up at the top and bottom.)  Then sew along the bottom of the tube, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  Finish off the raw edges with a zig-zag stitch (and trim) or serger.

Now, look at the bottom corners.  Place a pin right at the side where that seam (that is 4 3/4 inch from the bottom) hits the side.

Now grab the bottom corner and pull the front side away from the back side.

Then flatten this corner down so that the finished seam is now centered along the top. Make the tip nice and pointy while lining up the seam that’s now running along the top,

Then turn the fabric over on it’s side and make the tip nice and pointy while lining up the seam that’s now running along the top, even with the pin that you placed on the back side.  Just feel it with your fingers and line them up.

See?  Here’s the pin centered on the other side.

As you’re folding and adjusting, you will see a horizontal line and a vertical line that cross one another along each side of this triangle shape.  They should intersect right along this new fold that you have made.

Then sew right along that horizontal line that is already there (which should be about 8 1/2 inches across).  If it’s not exact, don’t sweat it.  Then cut off the excess fabric and zig-zag or serge the raw edge.

Do the same with the other corner.  Now you should have a nice square looking bottom.

Now, if you found the same 12 x 18 ultra stiff canvas sheets that I did, you will need 3 sheets of it to use for one box.  But if you want to double up the thickness of each side of your box, you will need twice this amount.  (Doubling it up may work better for you, depending on what you’re using the box for.)

Now, trim your canvas down to the appropriate size, and slide down into each section.

Make sure to really slide it down into each side.  You want the canvas pieces snug so that the walls of the box have good shape and aren’t floppy.  Make sure that the canvas piece is 1/2 inch shorter than the fabric (so that you can add your bias tape).

Then, use some 1/2 inch double fold bias tape along the upper edge of the box, adjusting the canvas and really shoving down into each slot as you sew.  you will have to start and stop many times to adjust, and that’s okay.

Finally, cut 2 rectangles that fit snugly into the very bottom of the box.  Cut a piece of fabric that is a couple inches bigger around all edges.

Then use a glue gun to glue the edges around the 2 canvas sheets.

Then slide the bottom right down into the box.  You can either hot glue it down or just leave it there.  It should be snug enough to stay in place though.

And that’s it.  You are ready to make several more boxes.

(And don’t forget to print off some titles to slide into your clear window.)

Now, fill them up!

. . . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Featured, Gift Ideas, Home Decor, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

255 Responses to “Fabric Storage Boxes (per your request)”
    Christie says:

SO great! Thanks for all your hard work on these!

Great tutorial as usual..Love it.
    Thanks a bunch :)

KellyS says:

Love it! Pinned it! Genius! Can’t wait to make a ton of these!

What a GREAT tutorial!! I can never find bins i like bc they just don’t make them in fabrics my style. Now i can make my own. You’re Fabulous! thank you. :)

Erica says:

Can you let people know how much this would cost?

Emily says:

Love it!! I picked up fabric for outsides and liners, now I have to decide on totes or boxes first :) By the way, I went in search of double needles Nobody within an hours drive has them (or plastic boning). Our local Joanns closed before I got into sewing.

Jari Decker says:

You can use zipties in place of Plastic boning. I use boning for nursing covers but I read online about the zipties, I went searching through the hardware store and I’ll be……..cut off the end (where they zip together) and its basically the same thing! They are cheap and come in all different widths and lengths.

• 6.1.1
        Emily says:

Thanks! That’s great and sooo easy.

• 6.1.2
        Koboclio says:

Hi, Jari. I’ve tried to google zipties, but all I come up with is zip ties, and I can’t figure out how they would work in place of the plastic canvas. Can you give me a description so I can go hunting in my local hardware stores. Thanks.

• 6.1.2.1
          Donna says:

Koboclio, These are also called ‘cable ties.’ If you don’t find them in hardware, try electronics!

Melanie says:

Amazing! And not hard at all. I’m thoroughly blown away!

Tiffany says:

Thank you so much for putting this together!! I really don’t like the one’s from the store b/c most of them are solid colors. How awesome it’s going to be to make my daughter a whole bedroom that coordinates…curtains, bedding, etc. and the storage boxes!!!! Thanks again! p.s. I really do LOVE your blog!!

Awesome! Thanks so much for a fabulous tutorial!

suzee says:

Wow that looks simple! I need new ones.. and with a grand daughter that stays alot with me I could use them..I have a stack of those plastic canvas things stored from years ago when I did the plastic canvas crafts.. lol now I can use them up!!
    thanks for the tutorial.

Magen says:

Wow! Love it and I can’t wait to give it a try! Thanks!

Belinda says:

This is awesome! What a great idea and tutorial!

Vicki says:

I love the idea, but what was the cost for these?

Erin says:

I have Expedit shelves that are about 13h x 13w x 15d. I am going to try modifying your design to make the baskets a little larger. I’m so excited to try this!

michele says:

If they work out for the expedit, could you share the measurements? I was thinking the same thing, but I am horrible at math/measurements!

• 14.1.1
        Geet says:

These would give the measurements required for the fabric

width of fabric : 2*boxwidth + 2*boxdepth + 1″ (sa)
        height of fabric : boxheight(tall) + boxdepth/2 + 0.5″ (sa) [optional +0.5" (sa) for top if not using binding]

Jeremy says:

I also have the same shelves and I’m currently having trouble finding storage bins for them. Did you run into any problems enlarging the current instructions?

• 14.2.1
        Erin says:

I didn’t end up making any because I found some that are the perfect size from Target. They come on several colors, including black, which was my preference. They are called Itso if I remember right.

Blanca says:

Wow!!! Great tutorial.

Would you consider this a project for a beginner, intermediate or advanced? I’d LOVE to do this as I’ve been struggling to find fabric boxes I like but don’t want to get started and then start banging my head on my table…lol

Betty says:

The boxes are wonderful and you are wonderful! Thank you for being generous with your ideas.

beth says:

Would you mind sharing what the total cost was to make this? Looks simple enough, but unless I’m re-purposing materials, my projects keep turning out more expensive at Joanns (even never paying full price there) than if I had just bought a commercial product. My crafts have recently turned into customizing commercial items at home and overall spending less.
    Thanks!

cara says:

So the cost of a project? It TOTALLY depends on the fabric you use. At many walmarts you can find fabrics for as little as 1.00p/yd. or you could spend upwards of 20p/yd for home decor fabric anywhere. Depends on your flexibility on design preference. You only need about 1/2yd +- of each fabric per box that’s considering that most fabrics come in 44/45″ widths. and the plastic canvas seems to be going for about $5 for something like 7 sheets. So it seems you could keep these under $10 a box REAL easy for a much better designer look than those surgical fabric boxes with card board bases you can buy for half that. Helpful?

• 18.1.1
        Em says:

Don’t forget remnants! You can save oodles of money on the fabric alone. I went to Joann’s got the canvas $1.49/each and found the fabric remnants for 75%!!! You can’t beat that with a stick. Many top end upholstery fabrics were $2.49 a yard or less. Way less than the ones even at Walmart. The key about this project is it is creative and personal to your flavor. Anyone can have a boring tote, but this way you can make it your own design :D!

Is there anything you can’t make? This is amazing! I have used fun foam on bags trying to get them to maintain their shape and it works pretty well, but for something like this, what a great idea to use that canvas stuff! I don’t even need any boxes right now but I want to make some now! Thank you so much.

I Love this! I definitely need to make a few of these. Thanks so much for the tutorial! :)

Shannon says:

That’s simply amazing!! Thank you for sharing :-) I would also be interested to know roughly what your costs were – like Beth, above, I find sometimes that DIY turns out to be more expensive, though I do love the idea of being able to choose my fabric!!

emii says:

I didn’t vote for this tutorial, but WOW!! You make it seem so easy as well as a beautifully designed & well thought out fabric box. Can’t wait to try my meager sewing skills out!

Leigh Anne says:

AMAZING! What a great job! Thanks for all of your hard work on the tute :) I need a TON of these around my house!

Cheryl says:

This is a well done tutorial! I have been wanting to make some boxes like this for a while but didn’t find a good tutorial for one until now. Thanks so much for putting the effort and time into sharing this.

Aleta says:

Last week we bought a new giant flat screen tv and the box it came in was this really great extra thick cardboard. I cut it up into squares and hot glued them like you did in your tutorial from last year. (I used the left overs to make my girls a doll house.) And though I LOVE them I am excited to try this one because cardboard has little or no give to it. i tend to overstuff them and had to re-glue a couple sides. I can’t wait to try the new version :)

Karie says:

Wow! I LOVE this tutorial! Thank you for taking the time to make these! I can’t wait to make some of these for my home!

Your tutorials area always so well written. Even a novice sewer like me can figure it out! Thank you for taking the time to do these. :)

Jodie says:

Wow, fabulous tutorial. I wish I had the discipline to make these for myself. I can not seem to get around to me. I am always working on gifts or sewing for grand children and children.

Heather says:

Excellent! I can’t wait to make a few! Thank you, thank you!

Sunnie says:

So cute! How much fabric, plastic, bias tape, etc. do I need to buy? You always post great instructions but there is never a supply list of how much yardage etc. to buy, unless I am totally overlooking it which is possible. When I try to figure it out I get frustrated because I either over buy or way under buy and have to make another trip to the store. I hope this doesn’t sound rude because I really love your website, you do a great job!

Marci says:

I love your blog! This is the first time I have ever commented here so I guess I have been a silent stalker for awhile! I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind including about how long it takes you to do your projects. I need to know how many nap times to set aside for these babies!! Again, we are great friends…you just don’t know me!!! But thanks for the wonderful nap times we have shared!!

Stephanie says:

Love it! a little fabric and the know-how can add a bunch of style to a room!

Deborah says:

Excellent tutorial! Thanks for posting. I found you via pinerest.

Victoria says:

Ooh.. thank you so much for the tutorial! I can’t wait to get started on mine. I also featured this on my blog today: http://vixenmade.blogspot.com/2011/09/organizing-state-of-mind.html

Michele N says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you Ashley! These are exactly what I was wanting. And if I go dig through the garage, I think I have lots of plastic canvas that was found in my grandma’s stash when they cleaned out her house to sell it. Time for another search, I just searched the garage on Saturday for fabric, that I never did find, wish I knew to look for the canvas too.

Michele N says:

For everyone asking, cost is going to depend a lot on what fabric you pick and what canvas you find locally. From what I can calculate the fabric requirements would be:
    1/2 yard of each of the 2 fabrics
    1 yard of interfacing
    40″ of 1/2″ bias tape
    11″ of 1/4″ bias tape
    3″ of fabric for handles
    3 1/2″ of vinyl for label holder
    From one pack of 1/4″ bias tape, handle fabric strip & vinyl strip you could get enough for multiple boxes.
    As Ashley stated, the canvas needed is going to depend on what size sheet you buy and how thick you want.

SewPro says:

In order to keep from poking permanent holes in the clear vinyl (which can be picked up in the remnant bin for cheap), try using double stick tape to hold it in place as you sew. OR, place your pins so that they go through the fabric NEXT to the vinyl and hang over it but NOT go THROUGH it. You will need to pin in two places on each side to keep the piece in place.

Emilee says:

Love this!!! You are amazing! Thank you!

Hootnz says:

Thankyou so much for this tutorial…. this is the best one I have seen…. perfect and I have just pinned it for future reference :)

Janelle says:

Great, great job on this tutorial! I will definitely have to try this! THANK YOU!

shelley says:

wow I love these boxes.. I must make some for my house. Thanks

patty says:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :-D

kate says:

Thank you! Oh, thank you! You took a lot of guess work out of this project for me! I can already think of 20 places in my house where I want to use these.

louise says:

Thanks! I’m re-doing my son’s room and he’s going to need some of these! I’m pinning it now!

Jona says:

This is so flippin’ ingenious! I cannot wait to make some for my IKEA shelves! Thank you for such great instructions!

sherry says:

wow! how on earth did you work out how to make something so complicated and make it so professional. you are one clever lady. i don’t think i could even do it with all of your instructions :-)

Rebekah says:

Brilliant idea to use the plastic canvas sheets. I even have some on hand!

Nanette says:

This is exactly what I need for my fabric storage, I need to change the measurements for my needs, I want the 11 X 7 X 20 inches deep. I have been racking my brain to come up with how to do them and what to use to make them rigid and durable to hold that much fabric, as I store my stash wrapped on comic book boards like mini bolts, and I want to store them in the wardrobe cabinet like drawers with the baskets. Now to find the fabric on sale!

Now who wants to come help me make them, as I have ALOT of fabric, hehe.

Katie says:

I’m totally impressed! Thanks for the idea!

Rachel says:

This is a great tutorial! These are so much cuter than the store-bought kind!

Mendy says:

Can Not Wait to make these! You are so awesome and so is your blog! Addicted

Sarnj says:

Oh thank you so much for this tutorial. I have been looking for boxes for my new craft room and these are just perfect – completely utterly! Thank you again!

Emily H says:

Serious AWESOMENESS!

Anna says:

Don’t know the price of the plastic canvas but one can also use inexpensive plastic place mats. Once you cut out the piece, round the corners just a bit to eliminate the sharp corner that may end up poking through the fabric. Found these place mats at a dollar store for $1 apiece.
    I enjoy reading your tutorials and appreciate the time and effort you put into them.

Edie says:

oh I so should have read through the comments before commenting. This is a great idea for the sides :)

Kat says:

Oh My Goodness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you Anna~!!!!!!!!!!!! I have been racking my brain to think of what else I could use because I live in Oz and getting that stuff shipped from the US is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melissa says:

What is the importance of the fusible interfacing you use so often?

Kristina N says:

I’m considering making a whole separate board on Pinterest called “Make It and Love It’ because there are so many things from your site that I want to make (not to mention a ton that I’ve already made). :)

By the way, I’m already looking forward to seeing the Halloween costumes you come up with this year!

Edie says:

I wonder how these would look with quilted sides…

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what we could use instead of plastic canvas… that would be a recycled item, so as to help reuse/recycle items. I was thinking cereal boxes, (would not be able to wash them or get them wet though) but for a small desk organizer size that type of cardboard should work… right?….

ohhhh getting ideas now LOL

Thanks for the tutorial, I think I need to do some thinking and expanding on my idea(s). :)

sdharris says:

I just posted my “yeah for this one” but here is what I used that fits your needs… recycling and waterproof too!

“Hi, I am happy to say that your pattern just save me some time in the “getting around to” in creating my own pattern! I just thought I would share what I used to make them really sturdy too. As I hate the “past the event” corner signs that just sit there cluttering every corner, I decided one day to remove a bunch of them and discovered that they are made of the light weight corrugated plastic.
      They are easy to cut and can be inserted the same way the needle point plastic is. They make one sturdy box, reduce cost and you are helping to recycle too!”

• 57.1.1
        Edie says:

Hi

I am not sure what you mean by a corner sign….

Otherwise sounds like a great way to recycle.

• 57.1.1.1
          Amanda says:

You know those political signs or the open house signs that people put out all the time and never ever pick up? I think those are the ones they are talking about. Never thought about it, but they would be perfect for this and so many other things.

• Edie says:

ohhh I know what you mean… they would be perfect wouldn’t they… never thought of those. Thanks for clarifying, and thanks for the tip

• Esther says:

This is a wonderful idea of using those lightweight corrugaed plastic! I am constantly removing these signs in the right-of-ways as they are illegal in my city….it would really clean up the neighborhood and less trash in the landfills.

• SewPro says:

You could probably pick these up off of freecycle, craigslist, or even ebay. Also, if you have a shop in town that prints these, you might stop in and see if you can make a deal for any “misprints” they might have on hand (or go through their dumpster)? If you do use the corrugated plastic that you have picked up from the side of the road, please be sure to WASH it before you stick it into your projects as they have residue and buggies on them (those ppl from the county that spray for weeds aren’t too careful about spraying around those things).

Great tip though!

Also, if you needed something sturdy and can’t find those signs hanging around (our county has an ordinance against leaving them – if they are left more than 3 days past an election there is a huge fine for each one) you could try plexiglass. It’s fairly inexpensive though you need to cut it with a jigsaw or hacksaw or have the Hulk cut it for you with a utility knife. Before you cut it though you will want to make sure it has the removable plastic coating still on it (to keep it from shattering as you cut) or use tape to reinforce your score marks.

Good Luck all!

• Terri Lee says:

In my area we have a store called SCRAP that is basicly a thrift store for craft supplies. Something usable may turn up at a place like that. It has become the first place I look for odds and ends that I don’t have on hand when I am working on a craft project.

Michelle says:

I was thinking I could machine sew the top bias tape to the outer fabric layer only, insert the canvas or cardboard, and then sew the other side of the bias to the inside by hand. This way I could remove the hand stitches and the canvas/cardboard, and throw the boxes into the washer and drier; I know mine will get dirty because of the art supplies that I plan to store in them.

• 57.2.1
        Savanna says:

Or just velcro it some how.

• 57.2.1.1
          SewPro says:

Try cutting thin strips of velcro that are just shy of the length of the width of your fabric (so that the corners of your boxes are velcro free at the top). Sew your bias tape to the right side of the outside fabric. Then sew the hook (scratchy) side of the velcro to the underside of the bias tape that would have been sewn to the inside fabric. At the top of the inside fabric, sew the loop (soft) side of the velcro down. You should be able to open and close it easily to remove the plastic canvas for washing.

An idea: if you simply removed the insert for the bottom, it should fold down flat enough to make it through the washer just fine. If you have an washer with an agitator (the spindle in the center that twists back and forth during the wash cycle), you could just fold it flatter and then place it around the outside of the wash barrel (stack the bottom insert next to it) and then set the cycle to a more gentle agitation setting or pack the barrel with pillows or towels to keep it from striking the agitator. It should go throught the wash just fine. I wouldn’t put it through the dryer though.

Maja Marci says:

you’re such a great sewing teacher!! thanks so much! :)

Hayley says:

I hot glued some velcro on to the bottom inside and the little bottom piece so that it holds in place. LOVE THESE!

Sandy says:

Your tutorial is right on time! I wanted to update the toilet paper storage in my bathroom! Thank you so much!

For Edie, you can try recycling an electoral panel. Remember to round up the corners to prevent poking in the fabric.

Bobbie says:

Your timing is IMMpeccable! I was bouncing around an idea to make over my niece and nephews toy area for a Christmas gift to my sister and was having trouble with exactly What to put the toys in…and along comes this tutorial! I am going to make each basket with fabric to match the toys that should go in it! I am soo oo EXCITIED (so excited that I cant spell excited correctly) :O) Thank YOU

Laura says:

oooh reading your comment i immediately thought baby gift basket with matching outfit, bib, bath towel. So many possibilities!

What a great project and terrific tutorial! You make it look so easy. I have been seriously looking for ideas to control my craft clutter, so I just started a link party for people to link craft organizing rooms & storage. I would love it if you would come link up to my party! http://kitchenfunk.blogspot.com/2011/09/mid-week-chaos-clean-up-link-party-1.html

Laura says:

Made my first fabric box this weekend from the tutorial and it turned out awesome! Very easy to understand step by step instructions, i will be making many more :) Thanks so much!

Kay says:

All my friends are getting these for Christmas! Thanks so much.

Marie says:

I’m really excited to try this out! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

Kay says:

I just finished my first box. I used plastic placemats and it turned out great. I decorated it with a fabric flower next to the name box. It was lovely and my daughter plans to use it in her closet to store her treasures.

Ali says:

These are great! Thanks for the tutorial and all your hard work! I can’t wait to make some for myself. I need them badly!

sdharris says:

Hi, I am happy to say that your pattern just save me some time in the “getting around to” in creating my own pattern! I just thought I would share what I used to make them really sturdy too. As I hate the “past the event” corner signs that just sit there cluttering every corner, I decided one day to remove a bunch of them and discovered that they are made of the corrugated plastic.

Erin says:

Very awesome! Never knew they would be so simple to make, so I never considered it before, but now…I am so making these for my baby’s nursery! Thanks so much!

Marie says:

I’m really excited to make these but I’m so nervous about sewing. It’s like learning a new language and it challenges me a lot. But I keep dreaming about all the uses for these storage boxes and how I want to learn how to make them in different sizes. Thanks for the inspiration.

Um says:

Adorable and wonderful. Thank you. And I actually Love the white quilt you are working on top of.

Danielle says:

Love, love, LOVE these! I have decorated my house with these cabinets and would love to make some custom fabric boxes. Seeing as I have some of this needleworking plastic that I inherited, and more fabric than I know what to do with, I’m sure my husband would prefer if I made them too.

Do you have any suggestions for using fabric other than the home decor fabric?

Cathleen Moses says:

Love these!!! I just bought a few to go into a book shelf– now I can make the rest!! Thanks for the pattern and tutorial. Great job–so much cuter and personal than store bought.

Cyn says:

What is the name of the green and white fabric? I just love these.

Kay says:

I cut up a sheet protector for the vinyl name box. It works great.

Stacy says:

brilliant! many cute things on here.

Margarita says:

I’ve seen more complicated boxes and thought that I wouldn’t find the time to make them (plastic canvas is just genius since it can be washed and air dried– toddlers and a juice box– always a messy combo!) but this one is defintely going on my must make list!

Have you thought about the bottom insert made like a envelope pillowcase? Just bending the plastic canvas a tiny bit to insert so no glue gun is required? (I havent’ seen my glue gun in ages– again– toddlers make crafting certainly more inventive! especially since everything has to be up high or hidden away.)

SewPro says:

To make your box more stain resistant, try spraying on a good layer of ScotchGuard onto each fabric PRIOR to sewing up the project. Let it dry for 24 hours before washing the box/fabric so that it can set completely. If done properly, it can withstand regular washing (in a washing machine and dryer) for 2 years before needing to be reapplied.

I use it on all of my kid’s clothes (expecially the bibs and burp rags)- formula and food just wash right out!

• 77.1.1
        Lauren says:

No offense, but have you ever researched the chemicals that are in ScotchGuard? It’s pretty nasty stuff…

Brandi says:

Looove this tutorial! I cannot wait to make these, I’m a bit banned from the craft store at the moment until I finish some projects, but soo tempted to go and get some things to make these. Can’t wait :)

Luna says:

This is probably a stupid question… But how did you sew the seams to stitch the inner and outer layers together and make the vertical corners. I just can’t picture how to do this on a machine without the fabric being all bunched up? I really love this pattern and want to try it out, but I just can’t figure it out.

Amy says:

I have this question, too, but only realized it mid-project. Anyone know how to solve it? I’d like to finish, having made it so far… Thanks!

Deborah says:

Thanks Ashley. These instruction are some of most Consice, clearly detailed and illustrated I’ve seen; apart from the professionals that have editors. Being a visual person I enjoyed the pictures for each step. I’m going to enjoy putting all my strewn papers, among other things (being a crafter your might understand), and getting them in these boxes and organized. I give you 5 ☆ for your pattern.

Wow, I just made one with cardboard a couple weeks ago and I loved it…bad part about it is, I have a little boy who will be one in a week and he LOVES boxes. He has this desire to climb on and crush all his diaper boxes so this would be perfect…stability + flexibility = Win/Win :) Thank you!

Moi je dis bravo, je ne sais pas si je vais me lancer, mais en tout cas c’est magnifique!!!

annie says:

I live in Australia and went for a hunt through Spotlight to find the plastic canvas after being inspired by this article – it’s something like $3+ per A4 sheet which makes one box a pretty expensive prospect. As I’ve been inspired by Ana White and doing a lot of woodworking lately, I came up with the idea of buying a sheet of 3mm MDF from Bunnings (about $5 for 1200x900mm size – that is not a typo!) and cutting it into A4/custom size for my box sheets. Even a cheapo $5 handsaw can do this, or a few scores with a craft knife and you don’t have to be exact because the fabric will cover it. Hope this helps!

clayre says:

That is so pretty! so amazing! Nice tutorial, thanks! :) I can’t wait to make a lot of those pretty fabric storage bins. Love it a lot. :)

Bobbi says:

Love it!! great instructions. Can’t wait to try it. Thanks again!!

Jane says:

Wow…great tutorial. I’ve seen lots of fabric boxes, but I really want to try your pattern…thanks.

Suzanne says:

Thanks for sharing your idea. I love the binding tape along the top to encase the canvas. It’s a clever solution.

Kirsten says:

I just wanted to let you know, I added this project to AllFreeSewing.com and our readers LOVED it! I’m sure you’ve seen an increase in traffic. The Fabric Boxes were at the top of our most popular sewing projects list for a few weeks.

We always enjoy your projects. Thanks for sharing with us.

Kirsten
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

Brandi says:

These are awesome! I love the colors you picked out too! :) Thanks for sharing your tutorial!!!

Allix says:

You truly think of everything. I am just finding your site, and I cannot believe the amount of stuff you have here! I cannot wait to try all these projects!

Jocelyn Lim says:

I love your blog! And had shared with some friends… but i guess most of my peers are not crafty enough :)
    i happened to come across a website http://sewmamasew.com/blog2/2010/07/magic-tube-turning-trick/ sharing on trick to turn a tube. Find it useful and do hope it is useful for you too!

Deborah says:

I was wondering, can you use the same method, only with shorter sides, for a top/cover? I would really like to have a cover for these boxes

melissa says:

I love ALL your tutorials! i just received my sewing machine as an early christmas present and I keep coming back because your tutorials are so easy to follow. thank you for sharing all your awesomeness :)

Jessica says:

Awesome! You could even use chipboard and make it even cheaper! Definitely going to make these…thank you!

Sofia says:

I know you have over 100 posts but I must tell you thank you for sharing and great design

Semalina says:

I found your post via Craftgawker, and I love this tutorial! Featured it here: http://bluegreenorange.blogspot.com/2012/01/ideas-for-decorating-your-bedroom.html

Just found this. By far the easiest to follow tutorial like this that I’ve found. Thanks

Jess P says:

How do you sew down the 4 veritcal chalk lines running down the short side of the tube? I’m just having trouble figuring how to get the frabric through my sewing machine without sewing together both sides of the tube. Is there lots of clumping up of the tube in front of your machine?

MariaH says:

Jess, I popped back on here for that Exact Issue!! Did you ever get it figured out?
      I wish someone had given a solution. Several comments down someone says it works, just go for it. I’m here to say — Not w/o a little more instruction; my sides are apparently too stiff!!
      Oh Well. Guess I’ll keep working on it on my own!!

Dana says:

I’ve been wanting to make some boxes like this but didn’t have an idea where to start. Can think of all sorts of uses for them.

Dawn says:

Hi! Love your tutorial. Actually a friend of mine found it and wants me to help her make bins for her new nursery. But she wants her bins to be 10″ x 10″…is there an easy way for be to calculate the dimensions for the size she wants?

Thank you!!

patti says:

Dawn, I’m trying to figure out how to do it as well. I made the box per directions and it turned out GREAT! But I can’t figure out how to reduce the size

Yvette says:

Great tutorial! I like your way of doing it. I just found a sewing book by Anna Horner that has a tutorial on fabric boxes but I think I’m going to use your way. Thanks for posting this, I know what it’s like to make a tutorial, very time consuming. I’m linking you to my blog, btw!

kat says:

HI: I wanted to make one 24in wide… do you think that the plastic canvas would be strong enough… or have other suggestions that would help. PLEASE??

Mdmsamm says:

Hi Ashley, delightful tut, love to invite you to share ar sewwequilt.com for May, You sew inspire me with you r lovely blog nd creativity. Mdm Samm

Sam says:

Hey, I was wondering if you know the name of the pattern/designer of the fabric you used on the outside of the box! I love that green, it’s so fresh!

Tiffany says:

I’ve had my eye on these adorable boxes for a while now, and I’ve just been waiting to find the “perfect fabric” for them. Hopefully I find it soon, because I could really use some of these and don’t want to have to settle for something I don’t love. Thanks for sharing such an awesome tutorial.
    This week I had a post with some things that were giving me inspiration for the play area I’m trying to set up for my son, and included this project. :)

Cheryl Ulmer says:

Thanks for the great instructions on how to do this. I’d been trying to think of how to make these but couldn’t figure out how to stiffen the panels. Very creative.

@pril says:

I came across this tutorial and love it! So I featured/shared it on my blog with a linkback to the tutorial: http://koolbeenz-blog.blogspot.com/2012/04/featured-crafter-make-it-love-it-blog.html

Feel free to grab my featured button if you like.

@pril
    KoolBeenz-blog.blogspot.com
    For-the-Love-of-Pie.blogspot.com

April says:

Just finished making my first box using your tutorial. Great tutorial and I love the box. I will definitely be making more! Thanks!

Danielle says:

Just came across your site as I am about to decorate our daughter’s room w/some storage boxes. And I love that I can make these boxes out of fabric to coordinate with the rest of the fabric I will be using for her room. Looking forward to making these. Thanks for the instructions.

What do i Label them. any ideas?

Sarah says:

This is by far the best box tutorial I have ever found. Thank you for for sharing.

Lola rx8 says:

I just finished mine following your tutorial exactly and it came out perfect. Thank you for the pictures, they really helped me understand.

Jill says:

LOVE this! I found you on Pinterest & I’m your newest subscriber. I’ve tried several times to make fabric “boxes” but this seems to solve all issues I’ve had. Thanks!

Mapas22 says:

wondering if you sell these on etsy or something. i am not a sewer really but would purchase these in a heartbeat! i have been looking online for cute storage boxes and i have found nothing i like until running across your blog. you are very talented. please let me know if you sell these online somewhere :)

Bonnie Peyton says:

Wow, finally found some great sewing thinkers as interesting as myself. THis is like sitting in your sewing room and watching you construct a great product to use in your home. This is one that I will make a zillion times. Thanks for
    caring so much as to sharing this great pattern to us all. I also paint and my stuff always needs new containers to store paper, brushes, photos to use for projects and this could fill the bill for all of them. Way to go, lady and keep up the great work.

NikkiD says:

Ashley,
    Thanks so much for this tutorial – I have just finished making my first box and it has turned out really well, I am very pleased with it! I followed the instructions to the letter, except for the glue on the base board fabric – I just made a fabric envelope as suggested in a previous comment. To the lady who couldn’t envisage how to sew the vertical lines without the fabric bunching up: well, I had wondered that myself! However, the pattern is big enough so that this isn’t a problem at all, the fabric went through my machine with ease, so I’d say have a go yourself and try it. Now, onto box number two . . .

Kaylee says:

Thanks so much for the Tutorial! Going to try and tackle this during my toddlers nap time! :)

Betty Grove says:

I used to make amazing things with plastic canvas, but quilting and sewing have replaced my passion. Your idea and tutorial is the best! Now I have a use for all the plastic canvas I have stored away and the bonus is I get storage boxes and I also can use my sewing skills. Win win all the way. Thanks you for sharing your ideas and talents.

Great tutorial! You always make it looks so easy! :)

~Kim

Patricia says:

Great way to make those boxes! But I’d really like to see the quilt you used as a background!

nehns says:

Hmm…can you do a lid pattern for this box? I’m thinking…Christmas gift boxes of all sizes and patterns that could store inside themselves. I could re-use them each year and just tie them all closed with pretty ribbon bows. Save on paper and waste and tedious gift wrapping time???

Grace says:

I wish there was a way to do it without a sewing machine x) haven’t got one:/

Blanca says:

wow you are really talented!
    I bought my sewing machine a couple months ago, but do not where to start! =(
    thanks for the tutorial,totally love it!

Linda King says:

I love this tutorial! Is there a way to print this tutorial? I would like to have this tutorial at my cutting table so I can follow each step. ,

How is the bottom attached? Did I miss it?

M says:

wow that is amazing

Jen says:

What a fantastic tutorial, love that you included so much detail and step, really easy to follow and looks great!

Jessica says:

Love your tutorial! I made my boxes larger than this. I tried the material you did for between the layers but it wasn’t as sturdy as I had hoped because they are pretty big. So instead I used foam board and I love it! The foam board is so sturdy!!! Thanks for the tutorial!!

Donna Y says:

I love these boxes. Now I can make them myself. And you make it look so easy. And FUN!!!. I think I would do the bottom a bit differently. I would like to my pillow slip and just slide the plastic into it, instead of all that gluing. Can’t wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

Helen says:

You make these look super simple! Would love to make tem up for my daughter’s room. Thanks for sharing!

Joy says:

Just finished my super-cute fabric bin! Thanks for your easy-to-follow tutorial! I plan on making several more for all the toys that have appeared after Christmas. :)

Joy says:

Thanks for the easy-to-follow tutorial! I made one today and plan to make several more for all the toys that need a place to go.

Nanette says:

what a great tutorial! Can you tell me how many yards of fabric and interfacing it takes to make 1 bin please? Thanks so much!

GREAT IDEA . I wanted 9 baskets or storage boxes for a bookshelf but couldnt find a store that had 9 of the same size and I didnt want decreasing sizes. Plus at 14.95 eah it would cost more than I wanted to spend. Now I can choose my fabric or choose coordinating ones. Like your simple directions too. Thanks fo sharing!!

Save alot money to sew. Remind simlar to thirty-ones company says:

I love this and thank you for share with all of us, I would to make many storage boxes and this storages and bags remind me of thirty-one company make all this simlar so I can do make myself than order cost etc. I have alot of old fabrics to use up and alot of threads, too and alot of materials, too. I can sew anything. I love it.

Terry Jobin says:

I am going to be making fabric storage containers, but are going to be 8″ wide for the top, sides and bottom. Can you help me with how to do small ones like that?

Alana says:

Late to the party and I haven’t read all of the comments, but another possibility for sturdy sides: thin plastic cutting boards. They sell them at IKEA and at many dollar stores usually at least two to a pack. You can cut them to size fairly easily and they’re usually the perfect thickness/sturdiness for many craft projects (templates, etc.). Love your site!

Andaira says:

Fantástico tutorial!!!!!!
    Te ha quedado perfecto!!!!
    Thanks for sharing

Debbie C says:

Thanks for this great tutorial! I’m finishing up my box and it looks nice! Simple enough, although I’m a little winded from ironing on all that interfacing! Maybe next time I’ll try using a canvas fabric and skip the interfacing? Also, a tip…Hobby Lobby sells plastic canvas in a larger size that Joann’s, in case you want to make a bigger box. :)

stephanie says:

thank you. now i know what to do with all that canvas in received and what to do for storage boxes as I redo my sewing/craft room. great idea!! I am just getting starting with all this soo this was very helpful!!

Patty says:

I Love you Fabric Storage Boxes. I’ve been trying to find the right ones to store my Sewing Materials in but the cost is way to high for my budget.
    I would like to be able to print out the directions but can’t find a area to print them. It would make it so much easy’er if they could be printed out.

Cristina says:

You probably already figured this out -
      You can always copy & paste on to a word document — it works most of the time.

I don’t know if you have a video tutorial on this, but I think it would be a great idea if you did especially because some of us are new to sewing.

Nueyer says:

Very pretty! I used corrugated plastic for my fabric boxes

Delynn says:

So i have been following your blog four about 2 years now and when I first saw this post I was like “cool boxes” and never really thought I would get to such a thing. After hours (I mean a lot of hours) scouring the web for boxes to fit the changing table hutch for our nursery I finally gave up and then remembered you had this on here. They are the perfect size and I can make them yellow! I am so excited to start these in the morning! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Haley says:

I shared this awesome tutorial with my readers today. Thanks for the detailed instructions and awesome pictures here is the link if you would like to check it out :http://littlebitsofeverythingqce.blogspot.com/2013/08/pinned-it-friday-with-haley_23.html

Daisey says:

Love, loved ,loved the instructions. What attention to detail. You left nothing to chance. Appreciate this very much!

Amaya says:

Hello,
    I love your boxes! I have done my own following your instructions, and made a tutorial in Spanish for Spanish community (http://costureranovatilla.blogspot.com.es/2013/09/tutorial-para-hacer-caja-de-tela.html), so thank you so much for your information, was really really helpful!

I’ll explore your blog in detail… Thanks and regards!

raajia says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you so much for this tutorial I must make some for my house.

Florence says:

why only 3 pcs of the plastic? shouldn’t there be a pc on all 4 sides?

Pam says:

Best pattern I’ve seen on the web! I want to make boxes in several different sizes. What is the “formula” for making these boxes. Would you share?

Robin says:

I first want to say I totally love your site!!!! So many projects that I can’t resist. The one thing that would be helpful for me would be to have your project in pdf format so it can be printed to take to my sewing room. I’ve tried every method know to me [and hubby who is IT] and cannot find a way to get it adequately in a printable format. I’d bet dollars to donuts that whatever program you put this together in it would have a save as pdf or exports as pdf option. I’ve spent hours trying to do it with this tutorial to no avail.

Can you post a pdf file of this tutorial? I’d be happy to pay a download fee just to be able to print these out.

PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE?

Heather says:

This is the first tutorial of yours that I’ve read. I’m very impressed AND inspired to make these. I will have to figure out how to make measurements for custom fit in closets. I’m hooked :)

Laura says:

I LOVE IT!!! I made these ln a Flicker swap earlier this year having used a different tutorial, (more like bits from several different tutes) as I needed to mail it internationally a collapsible box was a must and the plastic inserts my dear hubby had suggested and I couldn’t get over how fabulous they work out! Perfect for washability instead of cardboard type things others had used! My swap partner loved her boox/basket and asked how I made it. I wish I had your tute then to forward to her! I will be doing so now that I found this.

To ANY READERS on the fence about making these I say DO IT and you’ll never want to try any other way!!!

Patty says:

OK everyone. I don’t know if anyone is reading this that needs help, BUT TO PRINT…….Highlight the tutorial, copy, and then paste to Word. I checked, and absolutely no problem.

Becky says:

I read this tutorial and wonder about getting thin Plexiglas and cutting it to size. I need larger boxes than what this shows. I think the only problem would be when it came to sewing on the top tape.

wendira says:

Wonderful tutorial!!! Easy to follow instructions! Thank you!

Stephanie says:

I’ve already made one of these. And now that i’m expecting I’d like to make a diaper caddy using your tutorial but i’m not great at math. Any ideas on how to adapt for different sizes? I’m thinking of 17 x 8.5 x 8. Any help is appreciated.

Sheila says:

Made one of these today and it came out great love them. I will be making more for presents!

Gloria Butler says:

Thank you so much for these great fabric box directions! I can hardly wait to start on them..Will make several for my craft supplies, so they are not only neater but more easy to find things and not have them spillled and scattered! With these basic directions I can use to make bigger ones also! Again, thank you so much!!

Louise says:

Love this!!! Was wondering if anyone has an easy way of calculating the measurements for a slightly large box 12″H x 15″W x 18″D?

Brooke says:

Thank you for posting this! I altered your pattern slightly, so that I could make the boxes in other sizes for my nursery and sewing room. If anyone is up for a bit of math, they can find instructions for making boxes in their own custom sizes here: http://patchworktree.blogspot.com/2014/05/diy-fabric-storage-boxes.html

Suschi says:

Thank you, Brooke, for figuring out (and posting!) how to adapt this pattern for boxes of any size. Now I can get started!

Jana says:

What a great tutorial! As someone who suffers from Adult ADHD, I wanted to make a cute box to serve as an interim kitchen counter “drop spot” or “organization station” to corral all the magazines, bills, coupons, ads, receipts, and other paper clutter until I can deal with, file, or dispose of it. You know, all the stuff that winds up covering every flat surface because you can’t tackle it when it first hits the house.

The finished size is approximately 12″ wide x 6 1/2″ deep x 8 1/2″ high, and since it needed to be sturdy enough to hold five or six 8 1/2 x 11″ labelled file folders and their contents, the corrugated plastic (CoroPlast) that I bought at Home Depot was perfect for the side & bottom inserts.

The downside – due to the thickness (.157″) and stiffness of the CoroPlast I’m unable to attach double bias tape and sew around the top 1/2″ to enclose the four sides. I tried hand-basted the tape over the edges first, and using a narrow zipper foot, but the box is just TOO sturdy to bend around the corners. How did those of you who used thicker or sturdier material manage this last step? Did you machine-sew the outer side of the tape to the outer fabric layer before you inserted your “stiffener,” and then hand-sew or Velcro the inner side?

Toni says:

Do you have a youtube account? A video tutorial on this would be very helpful.

164. 163.1
    Linda says:

What kind of “fusible interfacing” did you use? I am challenged in this area.

165. 163.1
    Maggie Lea says:

Have you created a top for the fabric storage box? Thinking with all the concern about storing fabric in solid plastic bins, this would be a great alternative if there were covers for stacking. You already have the tag holder. I am finding that smaller bins in which I could sort by color could be more helpful than big bins. I am hoping not to have so much that I am not turning what I have into projects before too much time passes, but I am sensitive to light and air circulation. Your box seems like a fabulous alternative. I could probably figure out top construction but wondered if you already had a tutorial.

Thanks so much for all the great ideas!