2 Legging Styles: Attached Skirt & Ruffle Bum

Okay, so I couldn’t  just stop with plain ‘ol leggings from the last post.  I had to perk them up……just a bit.

I can’t leave anything alone.  I know.

So I added a little skirt to a pair of leggings……that’s completely attached

(try different colors for the skirt and leggings. Cute!)

and some ruffles to the bum of another pair.

So there you go, in case you need another excuse to make more leggings like I did.  And with my stash of knit that I have at my house, I couldn’t help myself.

(See husband?  Buying random remnants of sale fabric is always a good idea. ;)  It comes in handy.)

(Oh, and you little boys out there…….I don’t have a baby boy to dress up but if I did, I was thinking of adding patches to the knees of a pair, pockets on the bum of another, or different colored cuffs at the ankles for another pair.  You really could spruce them up for the fellas too.  SO, get to work! Ha.)

By adding a little extra to your leggings, there’s no need to put a skirt over them.  They’re cute and ruffly all by themselves.

(And yep, I used the double needle again like I did here.  Makes all those edges look nice and fancy……and still allows the knit to stretch.)

Remember how ruffles on a bum will instantly put a smile on your face?  See?

Now smile Baby Girl and show us those ruffles……..

“Wow, that sun is bright Mom!”

“Ack, it’s getting brighter…….but I’ll smile anyway!”

Ha.  Poor baby!  (She looks like my husband at night, after his contacts are out.)

And you know, there is nothing quite as comfortable as putting soft knits on your baby.  So make them fun.

And no worries, these ruffled leggings don’t take much time at all.  And are worth every minute of time spent.

Would you like to make your own?

First of all…….the double needle made this project worth my time.  Seriously, don’t skip out on this needle.  It helps things look nice but it also allows for a really great stretch while working with knits……because the back looks like a zig-zag.  But then the front double stitchlooks so nice and clean.  As long as your machine can do a zig-zag, a double needle should fit on your machine.  And for only a couple of dollars, you will fall in love.  Read more about double needles here.

And remember, you can buy some knit at the fabric store or you can cut up some old Tshirts (make sure they’re stretchy), old stretchy pants of your own, skirts, dresses, etc.  As long as there is some stretch to it, they will work great!

To begin, you’ll be making the leggings just like the tutorial here……but we’ll add a few things.

To make the ruffle bum leggings…….put your leggings together, except for sewing up the crotch area.  And don’t add the elastic to the waist yet.  Then, cut out 3 long strips that are twice as wide as the back side of the leggings (where the bum goes).  And depending on what size of leggings you’re making will determine the width of each strip.  Mine were about 1.5 inches wide.  You can serge or zig-zag the edges of your strips or just leave them raw.  Remember, your knit won’t fray.

Then, sew a basting stitch (with your regular needle) a 1/4 inch from the edge of one of the long edges of each strip.  Now gather each strip up.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.)

Then pin each strip right to the back of the leggings, making sure to keep each row even.

Overlap the rows by just a bit.

Then slide your pants onto your machine (through the crotch area you left open) and use your double needle to secure each ruffle to the leggings.  If you don’t have a double needle, use a zig-zag stitch so that the bum area can still stretch.)  Lift the other rows out of the way to sew each row on.  (Or you can pin one row on and sew it, then pin on the next and sew it, etc.)

**If sewing is stretching your knit fabric too much (common problem with sewing on knit fabric, no worries)…….increase your stitch length so that it jumps over the fabric with bigger stitches.  This should help.  Practice on some scrap fabric if needed.

After the rows are all sewn on.

Now, finish the seam along the inner legs and put the elastic in at the top.  And that’s it.

Now, onto the leggings with the attached skirt.  You will start will you basic leggings, just like you did above……but this time, you’ll cut an inch off the top of the pants.  Then, you’ll cut a strip of fabric for the waistband that is the same length as the top of the pants (add and inch for the seam allowance) and 3 inches tall (if you’re using 3/4 inch elastic for the waist).  Then fold it in half and sew along the short ends, using a 1/2 inch seam allowance.  (Mine looks wider because it’s inside out and the seam allowance is making it wider.  Once it’s turned right side out, it’s the same width.)  And then cut a strip for the skirt section that is twice as wide as the width of the pants so that it will gather nicely and then make it as tall as the top of the leggings (without the waistband) down to the crotch.

Now, for the waistband.  Fold the strip in half  down into itself, with right sides of the fabric out.  Then sew your piece of 3/4 inch elastic into a circle.

Slide the elastic into the fold of the waistband. (It won’t fit perfectly because your elastic will probably be smaller than the casing.)

And then slide this under the sewing machine needle.  Sew the two edges closed, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  (You’ll use a 1/2 inch seam allowance later when attaching this to the pants, which will hide this seam.)  You’ll have to pull and adjust the elastic as you’re sewing around the whole circle.

This is what it should look like when you’re done.

Now, sew the two short ends of the skirt section together.  Then hem the bottom edge of the skirt.

Now, place a basting stitch along the front half of the skirt and another one on the back half of the skirt…….a 1/4 inch from the top edge.  Making the 2 sections of basting stitches just makes it easier to gather evenly.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.)  Pin this skirt section to the top of the leggings, matching up the top edges.

Now sew in place, using your double needle (or serger or zig-zag stitch).

Now, with the waistband upside down (raw edges up), slide the waistband over the top of the skirt, matching up the raw edges.  Pin in place.

And then sew in place with a 1/2 inch seam allowance, using your double needle (or serger or zig-zag stitch).  Trim off any extra material.

Then iron and steam this sewn edge down, towards the inside of the pant legs of the leggings.

And that it.  Both pairs are equally fun and equally as cozy.

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Featured, Gift Ideas, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

55 Responses to “2 Legging Styles: Attached Skirt & Ruffle Bum”
    Megan W. says:

These are so stinkin’ cute! I need to make them for my daughter! I so need to build up my knit stash!

Meagan says:

ADORABLE!!!!!!!! You are so freaking talented!!!!

Heather says:

You are seriously a genius! These are so sweet! I love ruffled diaper bums, they are the best! :)

sherry says:

i love these so much. i just don’t know how to sew with knit fabric successfully, or make my own patterns. i might actually give it another go because i really want some of these leggings for my girls!

abby says:

I love these!!

This is so cute. I really love the new look of your blog. My girl is 5 so I dont know about adding ruffles to her booty any more but lucky me I have a niece on the way due it January. I am adding this to the list of stuff to make for her!

Beth says:

Those are rediculously adorable! Too bad I don’t have a little girl!
    Smiles~Beth

My thoughts exactly for the boy version! I want to do the different colored cuff idea! I actually bought some huge t-shirts on clearance at wal-mart yesterday, but forgot about the “stretchy” aspect, so I guess I will have to either just make some cotton pants OR save them for another project! Your above leggings are making me want to have a little girl NOW….so stop making such cute girl stuff! JK!

Michelle says:

I just want to tell you that you by far have the best tutorial website/blog ever. I am inspired everytime I visit. Thank you for being detailed and economical with the ideas. I can’t tell you how much I appreciate it. Crafting along, michelle

mary young says:

ashley these are sooooo adorable! can’t wait to try them- now can you make them in “big girl” sizes cuz i think i want that skirt for myself! great job.

Debbie Gisle says:

There is a chance you have mentioned this at some point, but where do you find your cute jersey fabric? I live in Salt Lake, UT, so not necessarily a small town, and just can’t find anything cute. It is rare you find jersey…and when you do, it isn’t always the cutest. Thanks!

Alyssa says:

K, not only do I LOVE everything you do, but your baby girl is just DARLING! I have two girls, a 4 month old and 2 1/2 year old, and we love the girlie stuff! Keep it coming :)

Lystessa says:

Gah, those are so cute! I bought a teal “t-shirt” sheet set just for the knit fabric, I bet it would be perfect for this.

stef says:

OOOOOOO I wanna make them… they probably wont come out near as cute as yours tho.

Patty says:

OOOOhhh my gosh!! I am in LOVE LOVE LOVE. I will for sure be making some soon!!!!!

Elizabeth says:

Thank you so much for posting these legging directions–I have been sewing leggings ever since! LOL I’ve made several pairs from recycled shirts and sweaters and I’m having a blast!

Magen says:

Now I really REALLY wish I had a little girl to make these for! I LOVE the ruffles and skirt! Thanks again!

So cute, i totally want one of these. Hmm, need to make one, thanks for the tutorial :)

Denise says:

I wonder if my 21 year old daughter would wear these….they are so darn cute!

Claudine says:

What an adorable tutorial, thank you!! I’ve been looking for some fun new sewing projects to work on, and this looks so easy and doable! I love your blog, it’s so helpful and inspiring!

Hi says:

cute! It would be easier and quicker to just buy leggings and make a skirt and sew it to the leggings. I know. I am a slacker. ;)
    You should show a picture of the skirted leggings.

Juliya says:

AAAHHH!!! These are just tooo cute!! cant wait to try!

Julia says:

These are so super cute! Everyone in my family has boys, I am dying for a girl! I would love to make these for her :). Maybe someday…..sigh! Your baby model is super adorable too! Love her cheesing face!

Lindsey says:

Oh my word, you are killing me with cuteness!!! I was in love the the plain legging tutorial and now the added the ruffle and skirt, AMAZING! These are exactly what I am wanting for my little 13 month old right now. Thank you, thank you!!

Liz Iman says:

Can you make me a pari fo the grey ruffle butt leggings for my (almost) 3 year old daughter?? I wish you sold these. I’m a working mom and would love to make these, but sadly I don’t have the time. You truly inspire me. :)

I just love the ruffle butt leggings! and the cutie modeling them!

Vanessa says:

I just love you updated version! Super cute! Thank you for sharing.

PS: Your little is too sweet!

June says:

What size twin needle are you using? I am interested in trying the twin needle for hems, but not sure what size to attempt first? I found a 2/80 on Fabric.com but not sure if I should start with that one. Appreciate your tutorials and clear directions. Keep them coming. Thanks in advance.

Lizzie says:

Just made a stripey pair for my wee bub, soooo cute, thanks for the fantastic tutorials!

I just read your tut for the leggings with the attached skirt and thought it as a super cute idea. I wanted to make them for my daughter right away! I was walking through Target yesterday and saw your leggings with the attached skirt! Target was selling them for $15. They stole your idea! lol!! Thanks for the great tut, cuz now I can make then for a whole lot less! Love all your ideas!

Natalie says:

I cannot find a double needle for my machine. Is there anything specific I should be looking for? Is it a different foot or just a needle? Thanks for the tutorial. LOVE IT!!!

Christine Dalimore says:

thank you for this wonderful pattern I can’t wait to sew them tomorrow.

So cute! i will make it for my kids, thanks for sharing.

pkae says:

I have a new great niece, just 2 1/2 mos. I can’t afford buying all the gifts I want to give her, but I have plenty of stash! These are soooo adorable!

However, I made her a preemi sweater for her shower but it was too small! Thus, I am concerned about sizes. Maybe you noted that on your site and I’m blind, but could you tell me the age these would fit? I noticed you haven’t answered other questions, so maybe with your chillens and sewing you don’t have time.

Still, thanks for sharing! You are amazing!

Thanks for this tutorial. The leggings are adorable. I didn’t follow your instructions exactly, but used them as a guide to make leggings with a skirt for my daughter and niece. So cute!

Kimberly says:

You are so KIND to share ALL of these tutorials on what you make. I love it all. I am making my grandkids some of these. Thank you so much. R U LDS? When I was in YW I would go to the RS to help my mom with their craft projects instead of staying with the YW. I had more fun and 26yrs later I still make some of those crafts we did in there. LOL!!!

Nicole Hale says:

I LOVE ALL YOUR IDEAS!!!!! I found your blog through ALL FREE SEWING.COM – and it was God-inspired!!! Thank you!!!!! I’m now a devoted follower!!!

I absolutely love your tutorials!!! Can’t wait to try the baby leggings!

Libby H says:

I need to make some swim leggings for my waif-baby to keep her warm…and just yesterday I was thinking, Hmmm, a ruffle bum would be cute. Thank you!!

Jenn says:

I have to tell you that I bought a pair of the skirt-variety ones at the store a little while ago…they were just plain black, so I figured they’d go with lots of stuff (I’ve since misplaced them…DOH!!!) But anyway, did you know that the ones with the skirt attached are actually called “Skeggings?” Yep. Skeggings. That has to be the dumbest name for an article of clothing I’ve ever heard. It sounds like the name of nasty invasive bug! LOL Couldn’t they have called them “Skirtings” or something? LOL!! Anyway, yours are gorgeous! Can’t wait to try!!

Smiles, Jenn

Proud Mommy Sewing Beginner says:

I cannot wait to try this with my 10 month old daughter!!!! I love seeing her in leggings and adding the skirt is just my favorite!!!
    Thank you!!!

Jen says:

Hi! I have been dabbling in sewing since my baby girl was born, and have tried out a few of your tutorials with success. Your tutorials are clear and darling. I tried the intimidating looking double needle after your recommendation, and it is too cool! This attached skirt leggings will be my next go, I found a cute double sided knit at Joann’s, hot pink and white with stripes on one side and polka dots on the other! Thank you for taking the time to make such fantastic tutorials, I will continue to refer to your blog!

katiasafia says:

adorable j’ai beaucoup aimer merci pour l’explication -thanks-

Lynette says:

Thanks for the awesome tutorial! Pinning for later, and definitely going to squeeze in some sewing time to make the skirt version for my newborn who owns only 1 skirt. I was thinking I needed to figure out how to attach a skirt to leggings, so thanks for figuring it out for me!