Tip for Sewing with Vinyl (it sticks!!)…..Making Clear Vinyl Pouches

Thanks for the camera tips from yesterday.  Hopefully my camera will be fixed right away.

. . .

But today…….we need to chat about sewing with vinyl.  Do you remember the jewelry holder I made, here?  Well……I mentioned that sometimes it’s hard to sew with the vinyl because it sticks.  And then I was given the best tip……..and had to share. (Thanks so much Carol!)

So I had to try out the new trick…….and sew up my scrap vinyl pieces, into something useful.

And then realized making your own clear pencil/marker/crayon cases for your kids in school would be so fun.

You could really customize them.  And make them for whatever little thing you want to fill them with.

Or you know, fill them with stuff that you want to keep together.  And organized.

Whatever you fill them with, having a clear case is always convenient.

And now, with a little trick unveiled……sewing with vinyl isn’t so tricky.  Yay.

Do you want to make your own vinyl cases the easy way?

First of all, I have mentioned in other vinyl sewing projects, that placing tissue paper between the presser foot and the fabric keeps the presser foot from sticking to the vinyl.  But it’s hard to see where you’re sewing when you do that.  Then I told you that I use my hands to kind of pull the vinyl along most of the time.  And that helps too.  But, a reader (Carol!) sent me a link to her post here, where she explains a great tip.  And I love her for sharing! :)

And the tip…………is scotch tape.  Yep.  I placed some all along the bottom of the presser foot…..but left a gap where the needle goes through.  (And I’m not sure if it made a difference…..but I had some matte-finish scotch tape.  I figured that made it extra non-sticky.)

And then I realized it helped a bit more……to place a bit more tape along the bottom plate of the sewing machine…..right next to the feed dogs (those pokey lines of metal), but not covering them.  It just helps the vinyl glide on through and not stick to the metal plate either.

If that was all the advice you needed…….stop here.

If you’d like to see how to make some really basic pouches…..read on.

To make the zippered pouch, I cut two pieces of vinyl that were 9 x 5.5 inches.

**I bought the clear vinyl at Joann’s.  It comes on big rolls and you cut it by the yard.

Ask your fabric store employee if you’ve never seen it before.

Then I attached a zipper in between the two, just like the zippered pouch tutorial here……just without added the lining pieces.  (Oh, and I added scotch tape to my zipper foot too.)

Then, before sewing the pouch together, I added some ric-rac to the front.  And yep, the vinyl slid right along.

And then I added some buttons to the front.  I attached them using my sewing machine (shown here)……and used the method of keeping the buttons in place with a little scotch tape, that several of you mentioned back at that post.  Thanks…..worked like a charm!

Then I pulled the tape right off.  Loved thatscotch tape trick.

Here’s the front of the pouch….all decorated.

Then I finished off the pouch, like the tutorial mentioned above………and used a 1/4 inch seam allowance.

And then trimmed the 2 bottom corners.

Then turned it right side out, poked out the corners (carefully) and then pressed the seams flat with my fingers.

Then I filled it up.

The smaller little pouches are even easier……and don’t have zippers, in case they scare you.  (Which they really shouldn’t……I’ll show you one of these days.)

Just start with a long rectangle piece (my bigger one is 4.5 x 13 inches and the smaller one is 4 x 11 inches).  Fold it into the size that you want and then add a piece of velcro to each end with your sewing machine……..

……..so that when you secure it shut, the velcro pieces match up.

Then open up that top flap again and sew all along the sides and top.  Use a decorative stitch or a double line.  Or keep it simple with a single line. Get creative.  I also added a letter to one pouch and a name to the other.  But you could always label the pouch with what you’re going to put inside.

And that’s it.  A simple little velcro pouch…..ready to be stuffed full.

Hope the tip helps you too.

Especially if sewing with vinyl has frustrated you in the past.

Thanks again Carol!

Filed under Accessory, Featured, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing, Sewing Tips

Comments

97 Responses to “Tip for Sewing with Vinyl (it sticks!!)…..Making Clear Vinyl Pouches”
    Hi says:

Thanks for all the good ideas you tell us about!

Annette says:

Thanks for the tip. I still use the scotch tape under the presser foot, but I discovered that blue painter’s tape is also great for taping the top of your sewing machine to cover the throat plate, etc. And it does not leave any residue and it can be reused as it comes off in one piece.

Annette :)

Well! This is one of those tips that you read and think “Stupid! Why didn’t I think of that!” That is such a simple solution. I’ve always stuck scraps of fabric on each side (top and bottom) of the feed dogs to get the vinyl to feed through. It sort of works, but you end up cutting scraps out of your seam, which is messy. This is SO much more simple! Thanks for sharing!

Mellisa says:

really … does it ever end??? I am always amazed by what you do and share. Seriously … gobsmacked with your talents.

This tutorial was PERFECT. Tim Holtz (scrapbooking guru if you’ve never heard of him) recently blogged about the perfect find for storing is acrylic stamping blocks – - a .69 cent vinyl case that I can not find anywhere. Now I can make my own and customize it by adding grommets.

Cant wait for the video tutorial. It’s all I need now to make my own case. Oh .. and a video tutorial would be awesome. just sayin’ …. lol

Thank you again.

Erin says:

Cute pouches and I LOVE the ric-rac! I’d never thought of using Scotch tape! I usually use masking tape for sewing with vinyl, but clear tape is always on hand in my craft studio!

Dawn Repovg says:

Ashley,
    What wonderful ideas you have and you do them so effortlessly! I enjoy your blog very much, I just wish I would actually do some of your ideas. How you get things done with 3 little kids amaze me! Thanks for sharing and keep those great ideas coming… one of these days that sewing machine of mine WILL get some use!

Kristina says:

I’m a beginner sewer and one of my first projects was with vinyl. Genius right? I ended up using tissue paper as a barrier between the vinyl and the sewing machine which worked well. I just tore it away when I was done! I think I might try the tape with these cute bags. Seems like an easy enough trick! :)

LOVE LOVE this.. goes off to organize everything in vinyl pouches…

Rachelle says:

wha? oh wow. so simple. so sweet!!!
    I’m finding some sewing time TODAY! thank you to you and Carol for sharing such a fabulous tip!

Christie says:

That is a great tip! I’ve always used a tiny bit of baby powder on my vinyl and it works fabulous, too!

Kylie says:

Thanks for te grant tips! I definetky want to try this out. But I was
    Wondering if you had a tip for sewing Velcro? I tried a project with velcro but te back was sticky and my needle got stuck. Did I just use the wrong Velcro or am I missing something? Thanks!

Jeanette says:

wrong velcro!! Don’t get the sticky kind, get the sewable kind instead!

When sewing Velcro go slowly, particularly when sewing the hook or scratchy side. Also, at the edge of all Velcro there is a skinny edge that you can sew on more easily. Use a dull needle since Velcro really wears your needle down.

Kylie says:

Thanks for the great tips! I definitely want to try this out. But I was Wondering if you had a tip for sewing Velcro? I tried a project with velcro but the back was sticky and my needle got stuck. Did I just use the wrong Velcro or am I missing something? Thanks!

Mrs.Pickles says:

What a great idea and tip. Thanks for sharing!

Melissa says:

Thank you very much for this tip. I just went and bought some vinyl yesterday to make the hanging jewelry holder. I have a very small space for sewing so I can’t wait to get started and now it’ll be even easier. Think i’ll make a couple of pouches too. :)

Ariane says:

I just wanted to tell you how much your blog means to me. It is amazing and everything you make is wonderful and fun. So, thanks for taking the time to think of new and ingenious things for us to make! Thanks again!

Erin says:

That is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing that! I tried vinyl one time and got so frustrated I haven’t done anything else with it since. Not for long though!!

Rachael says:

It just boggles my mind that you manage to do all this. You are my inspiration!! (while I’ll admit I got more done with my 2nd baby than I did with my first, I can’t imagine how you find the time with 3 kids)

Patty says:

THANKS for the tip!! I will definitely try it out!

Jennifer says:

I Love this! I think I will make a few for a fundraiser bake sale.

I saw this tip on pintrest, but I have not tried it out yet. So glad it works! What in the world did crafters do before the internet? Cute pouches!

Stacy Palmer says:

Something I have been using is Press and Seal. It’s like saran wrap but not sticky. I put it on the faceplate and cut a hole for the bobbin and needle to go through, but use tape on the foot before I bought a teflon coated one lol I make the I Spy bags and it has come in handy!

Emily says:

Hmm. . . I’ll have to try it. I have sewn vinyl with my walking foot and it did pretty well. :)

Kristina Noall says:

LOVE. IT. You can bet that some clear vinyl pouches will be showing up around my house soon! And I love that vinyl is cheap, to boot!

Anne says:

I love your blog. You have such wonderful sewing tips and tricks as well as great ideas. I can not wait to get some vinyl to sew with.

Thank you for sharing! You always make these sewing projects look so easy. I might have to start trying some of them. :)

Amanda says:

*smacking forehead* Geez, simplicity in it’s genius state. So making some pouches tomorrow.

Brianne says:

Great tip! I was looking for a way to organize some magnets for our upcoming road trip and these pouches were perfect! I whipped four up yesterday afternoon. The tape made it soooooooo much easier. Thanks!

Allison Rose says:

Brilliant! I have always brushed baby powder on the vinyl to help it through and then just cleaned off the vinyl but I like your idea MUCH better!

I will have to try sewing some vinyl bags for keeping art supplies in the van! I think I may try and sew a loop onto one to hang from the pegboard in our new craft closet! Thanks for the tips.

Thanks for the tips for sewing on the vinyl! That should be make it really slick! Thanks!

Emily siple says:

I am excited to try the tape trick. So simple! Darling bags.

Gerarda says:

Louisa says:

Thanks for the tip! I am excited to give it a try!

OMG!!! I want to thank you for this tip! I have been working with clear vinyl for 7 years now. I have tried everything from baby powder to oils to very expensive teflon sewing foots. but nothing works as well as plain old scotch tape….
    Thanks ever so much!

ira says:

oh thank you so much for the tips!… I was trying to make a little purse with vinyl window – but I couldn’t figured it out how to work on it without ruining the straight line.

Micael says:

Omg. That has to be the best tip ever.

And you know what else the tape trick will work for? Sewing with PUL. I’ve been sewing a lot with PUL lately and it’s really annoying how it sticks or shifts when you sew it coated side up.

Now I must go stock up on some tape!

Caca says:

This is a real great tutorial! Thanks

Bonnie says:

I am so glad I read this because I was just about to buy a teflon foot for my machine! Thanks for saving me $10 :)

Cydne says:

Thank you!

Katie says:

Thank you! I was just trying to sew a vinyl wallet for myself and this came in so handy! I’ve sewn with vinyl several times before without too many problems, but it was just extra sticky tonight and this totally helped. Thanks so much!

NSA says:

Hi, Can you tell me what type of sewing machine needle you used (size and type, did you use a leather or regular needle?) and thread type? I am sure it varies according to the vinyl but I am planning on using the same clear vinyl from Joanns so any info you could give with that would be helpful. Thanks for the tips!

Nicole G says:

Just wondering… where did you buy your vinyl?

Grace says:

Well, I tried the scotch tape trick and it still stuck like crazy to the rest of the surface on my machine, and I really didn’t feel like covering the entire thing with scotch tape. Plus it is not very clearly explained on how what to do with the ends of the pouches, so mine sucked. I threw it away.

Sorry it didn’t work out so well for you. I mentioned that sometimes it helps to use tissue paper…..and it sounds like that would have worked best for you because it was sticking to your whole machine.

And as for clarifying what to do with the ends of the pouch, I have already written out an entire tutorial on how to make these pouches with regular fabric……….so I just linked over to that other post for further instructions. This post was just about trying it with clear vinyl.

Better luck next time around! :)

Audrey says:

Awesome sewing tip! Thanks for sharing. It will take my frustration away!LOL

Jennifer says:

I absolutely I’ve your blog!!!! I check it at least once a week and wish I had half the talent you do!! Quick question…what gauge of vinyl do you use to sew with. I bought some but I think it is too thick because my needle broke :( anyway I was wondering if you could answer that question when you get a chance. My little cousin is getting some Polly pockets for Christmas and I was thinking it would be fun to make her a bag and a zippered pouch to go with it! Gotta love those last minute holiday ideas! Thanks for everything you share!!!

Lauren says:

Hi Ashley! I have recently discovered your site and am loving it! I have been so inspired by your nifty ideas and am proceeding to work my way through the projects you have on here :) Thanks to you I have discovered sewing with vinyl and think it is great! I’m just sewing up one of the clear storage bags for my little girl (7months) who got a little plastic tea set for Christmas.

I just thought I’d let you know I have been using my machine’s walking foot (the quilting foot that has the feed dogs on top too) and the vinyl just glides through!

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful ideas!

Lauren

Val says:

Love the sticky tape tip. Now I will sew even more with vinyl. Thanks

deb says:

I bet wax paper would work

Schaefli says:

Great tip! Thank you so much indeed!

Thank you so much for the tip about sewing with vinyl! I have been making a lot of baby things lately that have vinyl and have just been dragging the vinyl thru my machine, I cant wait to get home and put tape on the machine and see how much easier it makes my life right now!!!!

Jill says:

Very helpful!

gaby says:

My mom gave me another advice to seam with vinyl, you can use hand cream, putting a little between the vinyl and the seamer, in that way the vinyl doesn’t stick.

SJC says:

I can’t thank you enough for posting the tape tips.

Kalysha says:

Hi! This may be a silly question, but do you think these would be okay as reusable snack bags? I know most people use interfacing with fabric but I love the idea of the clear vinyl so you can see what’s in the bags and this seems much easier. Comments? Suggestions?

Sharon says:

THIS WORKED SOOOOOO WELL!!!! Thanks so much for the tip!!!
    We are making pockets for a bulletin board in my classroom and were struggling big-time!

Debbie says:

Hi!
    I sewed with vinyl this week and found that if I switched off the little light bulb on my sewing machine, the sewing got easier. The heat made the vinyl stick, too.
    Thanks for a great blog!
    D.

Jessica says:

You are a life saver with this tip! Thank you (and Carol) SO MUCH!

Jennie_hi says:

Oh thank you so much….that last one is exactly what I want to make. :) My daughter has so many little toys I want to keep them together and the plastic bags don’t last very long.

annie says:

Thanks for the great tutorial! I am working on some bags for my son’s toys. I put fabric for the back and vinyl for the front. I got one done today and when he came down from nap I turned around to get the baby and he ripped the vinyl right out of the seam (so much for all my hard work!) any tips? Would this not have happened if the vinyl was a heavier weight? any ideas would be so appreciated! thanks!

Rachel Dean says:

Hello, this is a wonderful tutorial, just wondering have you ever tried using the vinyl and a pretty fabric (clear vinyl on top of course of finished product)? Finished with some bias around the outside?

Prabha says:

That is a fantastic tip . Good to know people share it so selflessly. Thanks.

Pfaff sewing machines have a Teflon foot and a dual feed system that make sewing on vinyl a breeze!

margie says:

Try a walking foot.It worked for me.But Iam trying the tape on bottom of foot. Thanks

Amy Walker says:

Thank you SO much and GOD BLESS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am doing a light weight vinyl cover for over a 3 seated glider on my deck putting velcro in marked areas to hold the bars….I hope it comes out ….Thanks for your tips..Nancy

Pkae says:

Love your fab tuts! Sometimes I copy a pic of what I like but forget to note where I got it (thus I love love pics overwritten with the site of origin). Lately I’ve been going back trying to find the makers and I can’t tell you how often my favs are from you!

I have saved a bunch of vinyl just waiting for the right subject and here is one! I was wondering if using a walking foot might help the sticky situation since it picks up off the fabric in order to keep all moving well such as layers you don’t want to go wonky.

Thanks again for sharing so many wonderful tuts … I too wonder where you get the time and energy to do so much with a family needing you too.

Namaste and <3
    PKae

Luanne says:

wow! I want to try this and hope it works with my mini sewing machine. Must buy some zippers to test. Awesome tuts as always. ♥

JMC1987 says:

Thanks SO MUCH for the tip about the scotch tape on the foot and plate. I regularly work with leather fabrics, and just tried out your idea with my next project, pure genius!!

Jim says:

Fantastic tips for sewing with vinyl ^_^ I was tearing my hair trying to get it right but the scotch tape trick is great!

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your site.
    It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for
    me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer to create your theme?

Excellent work!

Nancy Blasch says:

Thank you so much for the scotch tape/pul hint. My sewing machine is ancient and I would never find a nylon to fit. I really appreciate the advice.

Ara says:

This is a great tutorial! Another trick my friend told me is to rub a little bit of vaseline to the vinyl before sewing it. I did it and it works perfectly.