Full and Textured Fabric Flowers

We can never seem to have enough flowers in our house.  Or fabric.

So, to satisfy both things……..I made some new fabric flowers.  Kind of similar to these.

But easier and less uniform.  And much harder to mess up.

They are a bit rugged.  And raw.  But I like that.

And they can be attached, clipped, sewn, or glued………..to almost anything.

But my first thought……..is always in the hair.  They just add the sweetest touch.

There’s something about the texture of the fabric.  It’s perfect.

(And yes, the edges are raw……but they’re made with a bunch of circles and this helps keep the fabric from fraying very much.

But if it does fray a bit, it only adds to the charm.)

I’m even crazy about them on my littlest one’s head.  Sweet and munchy little thing.  Mmmmm…….

And just for fun…….here’s a zoom out of our photo shoot.  Yes, that’s her daddy, flirting with our sweet baby.

If he’s home, he makes the best assistant.  And he’s free labor. :)

Thanks baby girl.  You and your big sister wear your little flowers well.

Would you like to make a few fabric flowers?

To begin, decide on how big you want your flower to be.  My flower ended up measuring 2 1/4 inches across (diameter).

To make a flower that size, I cut out a circle that was 1 3/4 inches in diameter and used that as my circle pattern piece.

I cut some strips of fabric that were about 2 inches wide (just a bit wider than my red circle pattern piece)……

And then folded my strip again and again until I had several layers to cut through.

I then used my little red circle as a guide to cut through all of those layers.

Keep in mind, the circles don’t have to be perfect and can have uneven edges.  No biggee. (But if you’re going for perfection…..trace your circle piece on your fabric over and over again and then cut them all out.  And good luck!)

You should have a nice stack of circles (I used about 30 circles).  Then cut out one more circle (the same size) out of felt.

To begin, grab one of you fabric circles and grab it in the center from the bottom.

Then squish the outside of the circle towards you (the messier the better), while holding the center tip from behind.

Now place that messy little scrunched up piece on top of the felt circle, with the raw edges facing outward.  Allow the edges to overlap about a 1/4 inch.  Sew the tip in place, down to the felt.

Now do the same thing with your second fabric circle, and place it under the presser foot and sew the tip in place, just like the first.  You want to place each scrunched up circle nice and snug next to the first, so that your flower will be nice and full.

Continue adding more and more circles, keeping the outer edges even, about a 1/4 inch over the felt circle edge…….until you complete the full circle.

Then start a new layer of scrunched circle on top of the first……but place them so that the edges aren’t out quite as far as the first.  This will help your flower look rounded as it gets smaller and smaller towards the center.

Continue around the circle with this layer, keeping the edges in slightly more towards the center.

Now depending on the size of your flower (how big your circles are, etc.) you may only need to sew 2 layers or you may need more.  But for this sized flower, I sewed on a 3rd layer.  And with this layer, I used a pin to help shove the tip in towards the center before sewing it down.  Try it, it may help you too.

This is how it looked after my 3 layers were sewn on.

To cover the center, I trimmed down 3 of my remaining fabric circles by about 1/3 of an inch, all the way around.

Then I scrunched them up the same way, and hand sewed each of those 3 scrunched up circles to the center.  This filled in the empty space nicely.

Make sure while going up and down with your needle, that you go between layers and don’t mess up any of the fullness of the outer edges.

And that completes the flower.  Feel free to trim off any wonky edges with some scissors……..and that’s it.

And here’s a view from the back.  If you want, you can cut out another circle of felt and glue it to the back of this, to hide the sewing.  But it just depends on how you’ll use the flower.

Now make more.  In lots of colors.

And use them here, there, and everywhere.

(I have a project coming up, showing how else I used these little flowers.)

Filed under Accessory, Baby, Children, Featured, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

Comments

131 Responses to “Full and Textured Fabric Flowers”
    Christina C says:

I LOVE these flowers! Thank you for the tutorial, I have a project all ready for them!!

Kim V says:

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial! They are so cute and so full! Love them!

Kim V says:

Thanks so much for sharing this tutorial!!! These are fabulous! Love!

Regina W says:

THANK YOU for actually sewing these flowers! I keep seeing this style of flower, but they’re put together using hot glue. All I know is that whoever thinks hot glue cuts it doesn’t have a 2 year old in the house! ;)

Now if only said 2 year old would let mommy dress her up with flowers in her hair… *sigh*

Oksana says:

It is really great! I wish a had a daughter! Thank you!

Julie says:

I like the red one the best!

mia moon says:

Aww..it’s always so sweet to share things with a little one! I happened to make a similar project this week by chance; take a look! Ps. Thanks for the tutorial!!

Valerie Nelson says:

Thank you! Pure creative genius, as always! I’ve just done the same, except used a hot glue gun instead of the machine. I started from the center and worked my way out! I’m going to attempt one on the machine now too!

Jeanette says:

Oh I just did a similar flower to this (although not as full!) and posted a pic of it today on my blog. I was not as messy with the scrunching of my circles though so my flower does not look as full. thanks for your tutorial – I will definitely try this for my daughter :)

Kylie says:

These are so cute! I love how they’re sewn so they’ll last forever. Reading your blog really makes me want a sewing machine….and a baby girl! I think that instead of sewing on the last three circles in the center, you could also put a big, cute button in the center for a totally different look. Either way would be adorable!

Nicole says:

HOW ADORABLE ARE THOSE BABIES! The kids & the flowers, of course! :)

Regena says:

Where was this the other day when I had to try and figure out how to make one all by myself??? It turned out cute, but not quite as flowery as yours.

Annastacia says:

I have made these just using a glue gun…I like your way better :) Thank for sharing!

Meghan says:

Absolutely love these flowers! May just have to try it while my girlies are at Grandma’s this afternoon!

Mary says:

Clover makes a template you can purchase that makes a similar flower and it’s super easy! http://www.clover-usa.com/News/Flower+Frill+Templates/403 I got one at the last sewing Expo I went to and it is great!

Shellee says:

Just LOVE these!! Especially since my little 3 year old girl still doesn’t have long locks of hair, so bows and accessories area must!

Dani says:

MUST make….love! I’ve been seeing these a lot lately and always wondered how to make them! Thanks for such a great how to!

Mindy says:

love your model’s smile!

Brenda Smith says:

I LOVE these!!!! I’m making one tonight! Thanks for the tutorial!

Brenda Smith says:

Oh yeah…and if you have a circle die then it is much easier! :)

Jenni says:

I LOVE YOUR BLOG and tutorials! I just need to make it my home page! Ya know what I am saying? I am here all the time!

This is great! I usually make mine with hot glue… this way is so much better and painless!!!
    PS
    Your blog is my favorite blog!

Amy says:

Gorgeous! My daughter has a million hair clips, but I definitely need to make these:)

carolyn says:

me enamore ¡¡¡¡ de la baby. Felicitaciones hermosos trabajos ¡¡¡¡

kama says:

I just made one of these for my niece. Super cute! I made it in lime green. Hope she likes it! Now on to make a little tutu! :)

Tricia says:

So, so darling!

Стася says:

супер!

Sheri O. says:

OMGoodness! These are just the cutest! I can’t wait to try this with some leftover fabric, well except for the fact that I don’t have a sewing. Hopefully this will work with just a needle and thread?! Do you think?

linda says:

Thank you for sharing. Great idea.

Becky says:

Your children are SO beautiful.

vcooky says:

I love love this tutorial. I will put this on flip flops on bags, I will but Bling in the center put them on lapels. Oh I can keep going . I love your directions. The babies r so cute. You r a blessed young lady.

Cindy says:

Wish I could print this without all the other stuff on the sides. I would love to beable to print only the pattern. I tried high lighting only the pattern but would not let me do that. Would love to make some for christmas gifts.

Ludmi says:

This flowers are awesome! Love it! Thanks for this post!

Nae says:

These are so cute! – Ill have to make one for my baby cousin!

On a completely unrelated note, what sort of camera do you use – it takes such gorgeous, clear photos! I can never seem to get nice photos of anything I make… :(

Emily says:

Love these! Don’t have much in the way of scrap fabric right now but i picked up some cheap bandanas in cute solid colors that should work perfect!! So excited to make something I can finish the same day!!

Maggie says:

Love these!

What kind of hairband did you use for your baby? I’ve had a hard time finding one for my 4 month old.

katepickle says:

Oh these are cool… I need to get my sewing machine out of storage and have a go!

Amy says:

This is fantastic! I love how full the flowers look. I can’t wait to try this out myself! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Hey Ashely, When ever I click on the make it and love it link from my blog it sends me to the Aug.3 post every time instead of the new post you made. It has never done this before so I was wondering if there is an error on my part or the website. Il have to click on the name of your post in order to see it. Hope you can help me out.

THanks, Whitney

heidi s. says:

Love these flowers, and your girls are precious!

Cecilia says:

Love them! Thanks for sharing this tutorial!
    I will try it today and post your link in my blog.

Your kids are gorgeous!

Suzanne says:

These are really cute — thanks so much for the tutorial!

TeresaJ says:

Perfect! I have been looking for something to add to a laptop case I am working on and these are it!! Thanks!

Carolyn says:

Love these! I can’t wait to try them to add to one of my bags!

kavita says:

this one is really awesosome
    tute is well explained……………i really loved it

These are great! Now, do you have the presser foot up or down for this progect? I would think if you put it down for each stitch, it would take forever. Speaking of, how long did each one take you?

April says:

I love these cute flowers! Are you going to stick them to some flip flops? Because that would be CUTE! :D

Alison says:

I saw these cute baby shoes today and immediately thought of your cute little girl :) They would be adorable on her!

Rachel says:

As always, beautiful job! I’ll definitely have to try these out. Your blog is one of my absolute favorites.

Suzanne says:

Love these! Made them today with my 10 year old. Thank you! (I love it when I have all the supplies to make a craft: FREE!)

Clare Hudd says:

These are gorgeous!! I had a go at them . . . .which turned out to be a nightmare. I found them just to fiddly for me (couldnt get the pieces under the foot) and ended up jamming my machine :(. I think I will have to try them again on a larger scale.

Brenda Burton says:

I love this! I pined it on Pinterest, I hope that is ok, I gave your website full credit. I love that i can put ideas on that, so i don’t forget where I saw it.

Wonderful tuturial.

Found you through someone’s board on Pinterest. These are so darling. I have been trying to find a way to make flowers from fabric for a long time. Perfect!

sarah says:

So cute! What do you think would happen if it was run through the washing machine?

Laura says:

CUTE!! I’ve seen other flowers like this but never that full. I’m excited to make some!
    I made your t-style flip-flops and am planning on making 2 of these flowers to decorate them instead of the ruffles.
    Thanks for sharing!!

Suzanne says:

I absolutely love these,,, I have a great project I am going to use these flowers! I added you to my blog of wonderful things to make! It all goes back to you,,, thanks for showing us how to make them! ♥

katja says:

so nice of you to show us how it works. the flowers are wonderful!!! I will try it in the next few days and I’ll show it on my blog with a link to you (if that is okay for you :-)

Emily says:

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE these! A couple weeks earlier I had made an anthropologie inspired Akela necklace. Then last night I needed a hair accesorie that went with it. I looked everywhere for the perfect flower. I wanted something sorta like the flower on the necklace but not exactly like it. All of the tutorials had flowers like the ones on the necklace! When I found yours I knew it was perfect! WhooHoo!

Marie says:

Very Cute!

Glauce Lima says:

Great.

Stephanie says:

I love your blog! I recently started a blog and my first post included this pretty flower as an accessory to the Tutu Bag I made. Thank you so much for putting your blog together, it is inspiring!

What kind of clip do you use and how do you attach it (for the hair clip)?

siti khatijah says:

geeezz…I have to make it 4 myself…as I don’t have any girls in my house…I’ll try to put it on my sandal…must be look georgeous..thanks for the tutorial…

Ms Harrie says:

Thank you for the great site. The tutorials are so complete. I am going to try and make two, and maybe more. My grandaughters love to look pretty and mounted on the head bands are perfect. Thank you. I would send finished product but I don’t know how. (I missed all the beginning computer stuff, I am 68 and without training)

Donna says:

I love this! I’ve seen so many flower “recipes” and made quite a few myself. They never seem quite full, and when I add more to them, they look out of proportion. These I definitely must try! They look full, yet soft! Thank you for sharing!
    Blessings, Donna
    grandma4five

Melissa says:

Oh my goodness!!!! Im obsessed with this tutorial and these flowers just the fact that they are so stinkin cute and fun and easy! My 3 yr olds bday is coming up and i cannot wait to make these for her outfit her presents everything!!!!!
    Thanks a bunch you rock!!!

Hilary says:

Love these! Thanks so much for sharing – I just made some for my daughter’s birthday and they turned out super cute!

Maddie says:

This is a great flower! I found the tutorial very easy to follow because of the great pictures, and specific directions. I hope to see more amazing ideas like this!

Carolyn says:

Thanks!!!! Easy great idea for scraps,

Anna says:

It also looks cute when you leave a little room in the middle and put a jewel or button!<3 They are great for gifting. These flowers are very easy. I am 12 and have made 3 in 30 mins.

Amanda says:

I made one that was almost 3 inches in diameter and I used 2 different fabrics, one solid and one paterned to match a dres. I alternated fabrics on each layer. My flower had 4 layers. It was cute but not as cute as I had hoped. The paterned material ended up looking really flat. I also think it may be to heavy to be worn by my 4 year old. I made a second one that was closer to 2 inches and I used 1 solid colored fabric. It was adorable! Thanks for the tutorial!

Megan says:

This is great! I love your site… you have the best ideas!!! Thanks for the free tutorials!

Ashly says:

Thank you so much! I’ve been looking everywhere for an easy-to-understand tutorial on these flowers. PERFECT :) Thanks!!!

Kara says:

These are fantastic flowers! They look like something I could easily make without fear of messing up. Found this on Pinterest btw. :)

kay says:

im guessing to make these by hand sewing, would be the same concept right? I’m not too handy with a sewing machine :(

Cory says:

Thanks a lot for sharing! :D Amazing!

Kristy says:

Hi, I love your tutorial and thanks so much for sharing!!! Could you tell me where you found the red and white small polkadot fabric? I have been looking for something just like that for another project. Help! Thanks!

Danielle says:

I have to try this, thank you for the tutorial

Danielle

Beckie says:

Super cute!

Be blessed, Beckie

May says:

Sooooooo Cute! Love It!

Kacie says:

I tried this as my first “real” craft, and it was so simple!!! You see, I’m only twelve. And my grandmother and my mom have no clue about sewing.Therefore, we don’t have a sewing machine. So I had to do it by hand. BUT STILL, it was SO easy! Thx SOOO much for posting this!

chichicho says:

That is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will defiantly try this and excited to do so!!!!!!!!

Cyndy says:

I used to work in a fabric store and we had a die cut machine with a circle die. Many shops with this machine will cut circles for you for either free or a very small charge. It makes it very easy to cut circles. Just thought people would like to know, they work great.

macarena says:

i love your flowers!! they are just so cute, :) what kind of fabric did you use?

Tana says:

Toooo cute! And they look entirely toooo easy!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Helen says:

This is a wonderful tutoral! I love the flower and plan to make one of these soon!

Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Natalie says:

I love your flowers, very good tutorial.

I love the fabrics flowers. I saw a fabric flower ring that I am going to try your flower to make. This will be cheaper and fun at the same time.

If you don’t have double sided fabric, put two pieces back to back and sew them on like that, also try using multiple colors, it looks amazing!!! LOVE this pattern!!!

Anne Heenan says:

Just made one of your flowers for the first time- using alternate rows of voile and fine tulle circles. The most beautiful, soft flower. Have glued it onto an /alice-band for my grandaughter. Thank you!

samone says:

beautiful! Ill be using your tutorial to make my daughter a kindy backpack covered in flowers – thankyou x.

Natalie brown says:

This is so cool!!!

sondra says:

Thank You for sharing, pretty.

Noelani says:

Everything similar I have seen has used hot glue to attach the fabric circles, but I have such shaky hands that it’s difficult for me to do that way. The sewing machine is easier and does not add bulk and stiffness like hot glue does!

Malin says:

Honey, you got to get yourself a hot glue gun. I use it for EVERYTHING! Just a tip :)
    Nice flowers.

tina says:

Let me ask you a question, my friend and I live in Texas, and for homecoming kids give these giant mums things to significant others. My friend and I want to make a fabric homecoming mum…..how big have you made these little flowers? Do you think they would stand up to a softball size adaption of this one? Thank you!

Sarah says:

These are really cute just what I was looking for. Also instead of adding the middle by hand sewing might also be cute to put a gem in the middle, another idea I might see how it looks. Thank Again for sharing!

Inma says:

Love this!!! I was wondering what type of fabric did you use. Was it cotton??? I have the perfect project for it!

Love

It’s adorable!!

Sarah says:

I did not know you could sew the flower bows nor had even thought about it. I have been burning my fingers by hot gluing them. Thanks for sharing them! You saved my fingers! :)

Jentri says:

These are perfect! I love the texture and that you sewed them. What type of fabric did you use?

susie says:

Thanks you so much Ashley for you tutorial. What a lovely flower! Hugs, Susie

Annette says:

Lovely flowers and securely made by machine. Thank you.