Breezy Skirt, detailed with Lace and Fabric Strips

I have had a few problems with my newest posts not showing up for some of you readers.

If this is the post that shows up when you click on “Home“…..then there is a cache-ing problem for you and you’re not seeing my most current posts.  To fix this problem…….on your computer up at the top, click on “File”, then click on “History” and then click on “Clear History”.  Now re-load the page and my newest posts should show up at the top.  If it still doesn’t work for you, email me at ashley @ makeit-loveit . com (but without the spaces) and I can try and help you further.  So sorry for the glitch……..I just had a problem when I updated my site and then some of you weren’t getting the newest posts.  Bummer.  But we’ll get it figured out.  Thanks!

. . . . . . . . . .

Summer is still in full force.  Are any of you melting outside?  (Okay, I know some of you in other parts of the world are freezing cold, so ingore that…)

I have not tired of the sun yet, so keep on shinin’ on.  (Can you believe it’s already August?  Fall will be here in a snap.  Crazy.)

And really, what is better to wear in the hot heat, than a breezy little skirt.  Nothing beats that full ventilation.  :)

And just for fun, how about sprucing up a plain ‘ol skirt by cutting some of the length off…………and then adding a couple rows of lace and different fabrics.  It sure adds great detail.

I made this skirt from scratch (using this pattern………just adjusted the sizing a bit) for my sweet little niece Claire who was visiting the other day.  And then let her do her thing…

A new skirt for summer is refreshing.  Even for a 10 year old.

The calico prints work lovely with the different lace strips.  And that lace…….Yum.

My goodness Miss Claire, you have become such a little lady.  Thank you for sewing with your auntie.

Would you like to adjust an old skirt……..or make a new one?

First of all, see if you have an old boring skirt you’d like to transform.  Or pick out some new fabric to make a brand new one.  And you can make a skirt using my Lily Skirt pattern from my shop here or just make a basic skirt with an elastic waist band, like here.  (If you’re making your own skirt, you’ll need to make the main skirt shorter than normal because you’ll be adding the fabric strips and lace  to the bottom.)

However you do it, you’ll need to select some fabric and some lace to attach to the bottom of your skirt.  Make sure to buy strips of lace that are not gathered.  It needs to be flat strips of it.  Mine came on rolls and I think I found it at a craft store (A.C. Moore?) back in Georgia.  But check any fabric store.  I chose 2 different lace styles (just for added detail) that were both about an inch wide.  Then I cut some strips of fabric that were 2 inches wide and about 6 inches longer than the measurement of the bottom of the the skirt.  Make sure and zig-zag or serge the bottom edge of the top strip (white background strip) and the top and bottom edge of the bottom strip (orange background strip).  You need to finish off those edges because those are the edges you will be attaching the lace.

Now, construct your main skirt section if you’re starting from scratch or cut off several inches of an existing skirt that you want to spruce up.  (Cut off however many inches that you’re going to be adding back on with your strips.  But if you want your skirt shorter or longer than it is, adjust accordingly.)

Attach the top strip to the bottom edge of the skirt, with right sides together.  Make sure you are attaching the edge of the strip that hasn’t been zig-zagged or serged.  Sew all the way around the skirt, leaving a few inches open at the two ends.  Now, you can pre-measure and cut and sew this strip into a tube and then pin it and then sew it in place without leaving the ends free, etc…………but I always find that if I do it that way, the fabric stretches a bit and I’m always off when completing the full circle.  So, I do it this way.  But do whatever works best for you.  I’m just stuck in my ways!! :)

Then sew the two ends together, with right sides together.

And then sew the rest of the strip down in place.  (If you didn’t serge the layers together, go back and finish off this edge with a zig-zag stitch.)

Now, flip that fabric strip down and begin adding your first strip of lace.  (Remember that this bottom edge of fabric is serged or zig-zagged.)  Overlap the lace on top of the fabric by about a 1/4 inch, and sew in place with a narrow zig-zag.

Leave the ends free like above and then sew the two ends together and then finish sewing the lace down to the fabric.  Just like you did above with the fabric strip.

Now, attach the other strip of the lace to the bottom of the other strip of fabric………

And then attach this strip to the bottom of the other layers…….but be sure that the top row of lace is on top of the bottom fabric strip.

Now, iron everything flat.

And that’s it.

Your breezy little summer skirt is ready for some love.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Comments

42 Responses to “Breezy Skirt, detailed with Lace and Fabric Strips”

Such sweet fabric choices… I love it. If I could get my daughter to wear skirts it would definately be one like this!
    Kim

Tricia says:

Hi! I absolutely LOVE your blog. You’re incredibly talented. I’m so glad you post all the tutorials, because it gives me ideas on how to *practically* make/repurpose something. Keep it up! Your children are WAY too cute, by the way. :)

Smriti says:

What a great idea! I have this skirt that I stitched some time back and it’s kind of plain and dull so I’m going to spruce it up using your tutorial! Thanks for the ideas and the tutorial!

i love this skirt!! its so cute! i will definitely have to make one for myself now! thanks for the tutorial!

Megan says:

Such a cute skirt! I would love to make one for myself!

Mollie says:

That is so cute! My mom did something similar when I was in 4th grade. I had grown so much that year that all of my skirts were too short. She did something like this and I got a few more weeks out of them. (I went to a private school where our skirts had to be at least to the top of our knees.)

Kelsee says:

This is so weird! I just made a shirt for my daughter out of that same flowered fabric! I am going to post a tutorial on it too. I guess great minds think alike because her’s has lace on it too. Lol

Kelli says:

too cute–both the skirt and your sweet niece!

Julie says:

Very cute! You have amazing skills and are amazingly creative!

ellen says:

This skirt is just too cute, Ashley, a little bit of “heirloom” in a fun outfit. Clever.

oh how lovely! I am dying to try it- thanks for another great idea!

Natalie Clark says:

That is so gorgeous! Thank you for offering simple projects that always look like a million bucks. :)

Lisa says:

Love it! I have that same orange fabric in my scrap box. Now I know what to do with it! :o) Another beautiful creation!

Greg says:

Your niece is absolutely darling! I bet she’s smart and talented as well! I’m sure her parent is thrilled!

Dana says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this skirt. Recently my daughter has decided that she will ONLY wear skirts, so I’m on the look out for some easy ones.
    Did you just use the Lily Pattern and then make it to fit your niece? I may have to make myself one, too!!
    Absolutely darling!

Emma says:

I LOVE the lace detailing! I can’t wait to try making one of these! Thanks for all your cute, easy tutorials!

Laura Lane says:

That just looks too easy! I’m thinking it would be a great way to make too short things longer, too.

Beth says:

That skirt is so stinkin adorable!!!

Cassandra says:

WHAT A CUTE MODEL! oh and the skirt is adorable too of course. I actually just picked up some of that same fabric used on the top piece. So pretty. Thanks for sharing. :0)

Julie says:

Love, love, love this skirt. Going to make one for myself! :) Thanks for the fab idea!

katie says:

Fantastically fun and beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. This is going straight onto my project list!

lovely skirt, I like to make for myself,

susan says:

What a neat idea. The skirt turned out really cute!

Jennifer says:

I just love the colours in the material/lace you used, so summerie

Caca says:

this is awesome!

Darla says:

I have a white Lily skirt cut out and ready to sew for my 11 year old and now that she saw this post I will be cutting down the length and buying lace. This is so cute. I LOVE your blog!

Ariana says:

Hey! Your blog is so great :) Someday I hope to be as awesomely creative as you :)

Rolyndia says:

Super cute! I also love your Shirt dresses a few post down. I am going to have to try them both. Thanks!

What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it. I hope you don’t mind that I have linked to your simple to follow tutorial on my own blog. :)

Emily June says:

I LOVE this Ashley!! As you know, I can’t sew, but if I did, I think this is the first thing I would try and make. :)

I love it. So simple, but so very cute. I love wearing skirts in the summer. SOOOO much easier and just feels like summer. LOL

LOVE this skirt. I love the added lace and color! Great job.

Sarah K. says:

So, it’s almost December (in Seattle – brrr!), and I’m totally doing this to an unfinished skirt I made for my daughter a while back. It is a white circle skirt that felt too boring to me. I’m SO excited to finish it now! (But I’ll have to hide It from my 5 year old daughter who has no sense of seasons and will freeze her buns off for fashion!) Just found your blog yesterday from OUT on No Big Dill, and have had great time reading old posts. Thanks for the wonderful ideas and projects!

Charmaine Rimmer says:

Hi, and thank you for answering my request to subscribe to your website. I have been toying with the idea of setting one up for myself, as I do a number of various crafts. The ‘taking photos’ blog was especially helpful, you certainly are very kind to share your experience with those who need it. Oh and I love the little skirt.

I do a lot of sewing and wonder if I do start up a website and make a dress of a garment for maybe a 4 year old, and there might be someone who would love to buy it but they need a 6yr old size and there is not one on hand. Do you state a certain amount of time between ordering and actually posting the garment off.

Kind regards
    Charmaine

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] – And then maybe once I’ve made my skirt I will add lace and other fancy things to the bottom? [...]

2. [...] Flickr group and see what everyone else has made! The first week I made the little pink skirt from this tutorial for my granddaughter – she loves it! It’s in the Flickr group, cause I’m just [...]

3. [...] long jeans aren’t safe around me anymore.  (Yep, that’s the same niece from this post.  Sweet little [...]

4. [...] aren’t safe around m&#1077 anymore.  (Yep, th&#1072t’s th&#1077 same niece fr&#959m th&#1110&#1109 post.  Sweet small [...]

5. [...] Skirt by The Polkadot Chair for Moda Bake Shop20 Minute Skirt by whipstitchMarket Skirt by madeBreezy Skirt by Make It and Love ItThe Dresden Plate Skirt by crafterhoursA Simple Skirt by MadeThick Waistband [...]