Flip-Flop Refashion: Part 4 (Stretchy Knit Straps with Flowers)

Okay, I know……how many more ways can I transform my poor flip-flops.

I got my fix, I can stop with the flip-flop craze for a while.  Haha.  Thanks for humoring me.

But in case you haven’t seen the other flip-flop refashion ideas, click here, here, and here.

(If you’ve made any, how did it go?  Any fun ideas of your own?  Share.)

For today’s pair of flip-flop’s…….I kept it simple with stretchy knit straps (scraps from an old T-shirt) and then plopped some crushed rosette’s right on the straps.  Simple and comfy.

And the recipient? Another little niece.  (Okay, she’s not little.  She’s 20.)  And she sports these new little flip-flops perfectly.

This niece, made me an auntie for the first time, when I was only 9 years old.  Where has the time gone?  I can’t believe my baby niece is in college.  Crazy.

But I was happy the stretchy knit straps fit her so nicely.  And those flowers, I’m kind of in love with how they look on her feet.

These flip-flops were put together the same way that the flip-flops here with put together.  But instead of braiding several knit strips together, I just used one single strip of 2-inch wide fabric, from an old grey Tshirt.  (I did pull on the strip to stretch it out first…..before using it on the sandal.  That way, it wouldn’t stretch out too much after wearing it.)

And then I made some flowers, just like the ones here, and hot glued them (you could hand stitch them too) right to the strap.  I then cut out a circle piece of felt and glued that to the back, to give the flower something else to be secured to.

I also wrapped the toe section really tightly in thread, just like I did here……to minimize the bulk in between the toes.

And lastly, I knotted the ends really well, and added a bit of hot glue just for safe measure……just like I did here.

And that was it.

A quick and easy pair of soft & stretchy flip flops…….with a lovely little flower that adds a bit of charm.

Total cost:  $2.50

(The cost of the flip-flops……I had the other scraps on hand.)

Thanks Camille and Aubrey, for helping me out.  (more of Camille’s feet here)

And a special thanks to your feet.  Glad they were so willing.

You two crack me up.

Aubrey……you’re such a big sister.  Always teasing the little sister.  It’s okay Camille,  I’ll teach you some good ‘little sister’ techniques.

Thanks again.  You’re both beautiful.  Enjoy your flip-flops.

Filed under Accessory, Clothing, Featured, Miscellaneous, No Sew, Re-purposing, Women's Clothing

Comments

40 Responses to “Flip-Flop Refashion: Part 4 (Stretchy Knit Straps with Flowers)”
    Amy says:

I made a pair of the ones with braided straps. They were really simple to make. And my mind has been busy thinking of other ideas as well, but I haven’t tried anything else yet.

Andrea says:

First of all, I just had a baby and named her Aubrey so I always get excited when I see her name somewhere else… second, I can’t wait to try refashioning a pair of flip flops… I love your creativity. It inspires me :)

Courtney says:

I love these! They are so cool!

Lauren says:

I adore all your flip-flop refashions! I have 2 little girls, we live in TX… so yea, we rock flip-flops most of the year. LOL This is perfect to change them up, make em way cuter and last longer! Thank you SO much for taking time to post up your ideas and tutorials! =)

Katherine says:

approximately how long was the piece you used? Just tryin to get an idea of how much material i need! Thanks! I LOVE all the ideas and am trying to decide which one to try out first!

Krista says:

Love these! I bought a pair of little boy flip flops at Old Navy (because I have unusually tiny feet and kids shoes are cheaper!) but I have yet to decide which refashion I want to try. Each new post has me leaning toward it, but I think this is the one! I love the simplicity and adore the flower!
    And you’re right, your nieces are beautiful!

Oh. Mygosh. I’m lovin’ all these revamped flip flops!!!

louise says:

I think these are my favorites! They look so comfy! Unfortunately, I have bad feet and can’t wear a lot of flip flops. but once they heal, I’m on this project!

Lyss says:

That’s the end?! I was so enjoying the flip flop redos!

Alice says:

Who knew flip flops could be so fashionable. You are ingenious to think of this. I say keep them comming, y’all aren’t done yet.

Jennifer says:

You are killing me with all these adorable flip-flops!!!

Heather H says:

I love the ruffle ones, but these are super cute! I can’t decide which ones are my favorites! Thanks for the ideas!

Lindsay says:

I’ve already made a pair of the ruffle ones! We used a bead to cover the point of the first ruffle on the top! Our Old Navy had our flip flops on sale for $2 a piece so we (my sister-in-law who is visiting me) got a few pairs to try! Can’t wait to make more!

leslie says:

too too cute! I totally had to re-read the “she made me an Aunt when I was 9″ bit. I kept thinking SHE had the baby but then I realized she WAS the baby!! :) HA! me and my crazy prego brain!!

Elle says:

Found flip-flops on clearance for SIXTY CENTS while I was out today and all I could think of were these refashions. Thankfully most weren’t in my size or I’d have a whole box dedicated to them in my craft nook.

Carissa says:

Ooh I LOVE these! Might be my favorite yet, just may be tied with the interchangeable straps ones, but I like them most out of this flip-flop series. I can’t wait to try them :)

Sara says:

Very cute series. My favorite is part 2.

Laurel says:

Love all your ideas! It has my wheels turning with ideas! Thanks for your tutorials, I for one would love to see more:)

AnnA says:

I made a pair of your braided flip flops and love them! Found the sandals for $2 at a GAP outlet and braided an old t-shirt. I’m 9 months pregnant and battling swollen feet/ankles in this summer heat. These comfy flip flops are great for swollen preggo feet… thanks for the tutorial!

Toni says:

My daughter has such fat feet that we have a hard time finding shoes for he at all. So when I saw this series It was a total “why didn’t I think of that?!” moment. I kinda took all your ideas and squished them together to make these ones…
    I may have to add a flower later, but for now I just need her to keep them on! lol
    Thanks so much for all the inspiration!!

Kennedy says:

Oh, my. I love the rosette!!

Sara B. says:

I’ve seriously been in awe at every single pair of these posted. Such great ideas! I definitely plan on making a pair soon and I’ll probably post it to my blog as well (giving credit to you, of course). I’ll make sure to let you know when I end up doing this. :)

viv says:

What cool ideas to make flip flops really special. Thanks for sharing.

Cori says:

Thank you SO much for all your detailed tutorials. I have been buying the homemade flip flops, but was getting tired of paying $15-$25 for one pair. I’m so excited to make these flip flops for my daughter. I found sandals at Old Navy for $3 each. I will be making them for me too. Love all your tutorials.

Mixxie says:

I love these! I challenge you to come up with a version for boys! My kids are all grown and I’m just waiting to be a grandma now but I’m curious what you could come up with. :)

I can’t decide which one to make now. if only i had 2 pair of old flip flops

Penny Warren says:

Made a pair of these last night. I made the straps so they would wrap around the ankles. Really cute!

MIndy says:

I am in love with your flip flops. My mom says I am a flip flop freak. I would have never thought of dressing them up like you did. Thank you for sharing.

Menahil says:

LOVE the flip flops. Definitely gonna try them.

Kirsty says:

I’ve had these refashions bookmarked since you first posted, but since we can buy thongs (Australia!) so cheap I never really got around to doing it. It’s only since my daughter graduated to ‘big kid’ sizes where all the thongs have the rubber bit between the toe instead of soft material that I remembered about this tutorial. I just whipped up a pair for her in less than an hour while watching TV, and she loves them. I also bought a pair for myself which I will probably make tonight after the kids are in bed :) Thanks for posting this wonderful idea and tutorial. :D

Amber says:

I took a black pair from Hobby Lobby along with some hemp string wrapped the string around the straps and every once in awhile incorporated some shells I found along the Table Rock Dam shore. Kind of black and white shells about the size of a pinky nail, although I’ve since found out you can buy the same kind of shells in a store.