Flip-Flop Refashion: Part 3 (Ruffled T-Strap)

Are you tired of flip flips yet? Hang in there…….because I’m not. :)

I keep finding new colors of $2 flip-flops, cutting them apart, and making new straps and styles with fabric scraps and doo-dads that I have at home.  I just can’t get enough of these simple little jewels.  They have become so fun (and cheap) to frill up.

If you missed out on the other ideas…..you can find them here and here.

So today, I made some frilly little T-strap sandals.

They would look great in any color.  And any sized ruffle.

And they just happened to fit perfectly on my little 15 year old niece.

(Such a perk to have family nearby.  They may tire of me soon, though.  Ha.)

The breathable cotton makes these super comfy and light for the warmer weather.  Just slip right in to them……and you’re ready to go.

Great with jeans.  Cute with a skirt.  Fun for a day out shopping.  Or kicking it at home.

Thanks for letting me use your feet Camille.  You sweet little thing.

Ready to make your own?

Before you begin, check out the post here, to see how to take apart an old pair of flip flops.

**Also, The fabric I used for these T-straps, was a really sturdy cotton.  Somewhere between quilting cotton (really light) and upholstery fabric (really thick).  It wasn’t super stiff but it wasn’t too flimsy either.  It worked great and gave the straps some good shape to them.  Check out your fabric store for different cotton thicknesses.**

For this t-strap style, you’ll need 2 long strips of fabric and some circles.  (I made 10 circles the size of one end of a can of vegetables…..but you can make them bigger or smaller.  Go for it.)

For the strips, I cut a 2 inch wide strips of fabric that were long enough to go across the top of the foot and then one down the center.  I added several inches to the total length so that I would have plenty to tie knots with on the bottom side of the shoe.  I created the 2 long strips by folding them in half lengthwise (with right sides together) and then sewed the 2 edges together with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  Then I turned them right side out and ironed them flat.  (Need help turning right side out?  Click here.)

After the strips were turned and ironed, I cut each strip into 2 pieces.  One piece bigger than the other.  The longer one is for the top of the foot, the other is the strap that goes between the toe.  Everyone’s feet is a different size, so there is no exact measurement, but just be sure to leave plenty of extra length to tie the knots on the bottom of the sandal.

Now, grab the shorter straps and on one of the ends of each strap, fold over the end a 1/4 inch and then about one inch……then sew down in  place.   This creates a little hole to slide the long straps through.

Slide the longer straps through this casing you just made on the shorter straps……..and this creates the ‘T’ of your sandal.

Now, for the ruffle.  It’s not a standard ruffle……just some textured looking fabric.  But all it is, is circles. And because it’s cut into a circle, it’s mostly cut on the bias.  And that helps keeping it from fraying.  It may fray just a bit but that will only add to the fluffiness of the look.  If you’re concerned, apply some ‘fray check’ to the edges.

So start with one circle and fold it in half.

Then fold into thirds…..giving you a pie slice shape, with lots of fullness at the wide end.

Now, stitch the pointy end down to the top of the T-strap shape……making sure the fulness of the pie shape is facing downward.  Make another seam close to the top as well, securing this first circle in place.

Then lift up that piece and attach another circle piece the same way……until all of your 5 pieces (or more or less) are sewn in place.  (I recommend holding this on your foot as you go, to see how much ruffle you want and if your circles are big or small enough for your liking.)

See how each circle was sewn on individually with a couple rows of stitches?

Then poke your straps through the holes of the flip-flops, just like shown here.  Slip your foot in, adjust the straps to your liking……

……..then tie the knots underneath and add a little glue for added strength.  Done.

(By the way, I didn’t cut any of the foam flip flop away on the bottom of these shoes, like I did here.  This fabric wasn’t too thick and didn’t make too big of a knot……..so it fit perfectly into the indent that was already there.)

And that’s it.  Your new little Ruffled T-Strap sandals are all done.

One more way to create your own little custom pair of flip-flops…….from an old pair in the closet, or a cheapy pair at the store.

Pretty satisfying.

Filed under Accessory, Clothing, Featured, Miscellaneous, Re-purposing, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

50 Responses to “Flip-Flop Refashion: Part 3 (Ruffled T-Strap)”
    Allison says:

These are so fantastic! I have loved all of your flip flop refashions – so creative!

This is amazing..very smart..i love the print of fabric & pink, black n white ,color contrast..thanks for sharing the step by step tutorial :)
    Love!!

Lindsay says:

Oh my goodness I am loving these flip flop tutorials! Keep them coming! I so want pair of each!

Lindsey says:

You are so creative! These are my favorites so far.

Jennifer says:

I am not tired of flip flops at all!! I agree, these are my favorite so far! Adorable and so creative!!

Susan says:

Too cute! But won’t the fabric on the ruffles fray? Any way to prevent that?

Because it’s cut into a circle, it’s mostly cut on the bias. And that helps keeping it from fraying. It may fray just a bit but that will only add to the fluffiness of the look. If you’re concerned, apply some ‘fray check’ to the edges.

Hope that helps!

You can coat the edge of the fabric with fray check. It is available at Hobby Lobby.

kitten25 says:

you could use colorful duck tape in stead of fabric and just tape onto the strapes

Teresa says:

What you can do is sew a tight zig zag stitch around the circles before you sew them on.

Heidi says:

I’m not tired of flip-flop ideas yet! Do you have more?

Sara says:

These are SO cute! I am making them for sure!

Suzanne says:

What a great idea! You are so clever!

Jodi says:

Dear Ashley-

We love having you here. You can take pictures of my girls anytime! (And make them cute flip flops, since I can’t seem to get around to it.)

Love,
    Your sis.

ellen says:

Flip Flops? That’s the only thing we wear (on our feet) here in the tropics! Your ideas are so clever; thank you very much. I’ll be making them for sure–to match what I wear (on my body)!

Marissa says:

What do you use to cut the circles out? Do you use a roller cutter or scissors or a special tool? I can’t seem to get my circles completely round. Love the ideas though. I check your blog everyday for new ones. Just got myself 4 pairs of $2 flip flops from old navy. Can’t wait to try these ideas out.

I used an oversized coffee cup and traced the circle out with a washable pen and then used pinking sheers to cut the circles out.

Connie says:

I have been refashioning flip-flops for as long as I can remember, but I love all of the cuteness you have created! And I thought I had an original idea. LOL! I have a closet full and would live in flip-flops if I didn’t live in Colorado :) Oh well, I like to refashion my winter boots, too! Keep the tutorials coming! They have all been great!

Barbara says:

I love you flip-flops. I don’t wear them myself, but my adult daughters wear them all summer. I’d love to make them some, but I was wondering how well does the hot glue hold up over time.

Stephanie says:

Oh my gosh these are so so soo darling. I love your ideas!! Swear, you are the most creative person I’ve ever met(?) !! :)

Steph
    Do Something That’s Better!

amy gilman says:

I absolutely LOVE these. They are FABULOUS!! I know what I will be doing this weekend. I wear a size 11 which is also so hard to come by especially in the cute department.
    Amy

Jessica says:

My daughter so wants me to make these for her. So I am going to give it a try! I absolutely love all of the redo’s of the flip-flops.

Kennedy says:

How cute are these? I love them and I love your blog.

Santa says:

Will try these ruffles ones next, love them.

Hi says:

I am going to have to make these soon

Cate says:

Thanks for this idea too! I loved the ruffles, but since I hand sew I wasn’t certain the straps would hold up well. Instead, I took a pair of flip flops with thin straps and sewed ruffles directly onto the strap. It gave them a really cute look! Thanks again!

I used your pattern this afternoon and made these with dark pink material with pink,turquoise,white bottoms and they came out wonderful. Made a pillowcase dress for an adult with the same material and it is so cute together.

Amy says:

love this — My daughter & I have narrow feet. flip flops usually fall off my feet — finally, I’ll be able to wear cheap flip flops!!! I see one of every color coming in the near future. oh the possibilities!!!!!

:) says:

LOVE THESE!! I am soo making them! :) Finally something to do with all my extra flip flops!

Jenn says:

I made these today for me and my daughter. We love them! Made the first ones a little to tight on top and my feet wouldn’t stay in them so I used a piece of scrap fabric and looped it through the side straps and tied a pretty bow in the back. Came out super cute with the back strap.

samantha says:

What you can do with the circles is to use pinking shears while cutting the circles out so the circles do not fray incase one does not have fray check on hand. Otherwise the zig zag stitching close to ends is a good idea as well. Comfy and unique looking sandal transformation.

This is fantastic, you could get some many different looks with different fabrics, you’re a genius!

Elizabeth says:

I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE ++
    \/

Eliza says:

I love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE ++
    \/

Elsie says:

I love the idea I think I’m going to try it :)

Uchechi N says:

Creative idea, I am loving the Ruffled T-Strap sandals! I am ready to make my own now that summer’s here.