4th of July snuck right up…

I love making things for the 4th of July. But I also like sleep.  Haha.  And unpacking our boxes from the big move (yeah, still not done).  So I realized any new 4th of July creations will have to wait until next year.

However, I was looking back at old pictures of what I made last year………and I may just run to the store and grab some white Tshirts. (oh my gosh, my babies were so itty bitty.  crazy.)

This is a pretty quick project and still satisfying (tutorial found here).

I just cut up some old red/white/blue Tshirt scraps and created a girly and boyish flag to these shirts.  I’m sure the stores are all out of the classic flag shirts, so I probably can’t even buy any this late.  So these little shirts may be the perfect solution.  I’ll have to add one to a onesie for miss baby girl too.

I better get hoppin’.

Need some party food? Remember how my friend Brittany did a whole Make-a-Cake Series with me last year, found here?  (miss you Brittany!)  Here’s the cake she created last year for the 4th of July festivities.  So patriotic.  And fun.

I love this holiday.  And celebrating our country’s freedom.

Any traditions that you (American readers) can hardly wait for?

I love all of the BBQs, picnics, parades (Ooooh, I hope they have one here), baked goods, watermelon, and lighting up sparklers.    Oh, and watching the kids, watch the fireworks.  My gosh, their eyes.  That beats it all.

What are your plans?

Any good 4th of July crafts you’ve made?

Now really, go enjoy your weekend (even if you’re not in the US, celebrating Independence day!!).

Filed under Baby, Children, Clothing, Featured, Holiday, Re-purposing, Sewing

Comments

19 Responses to “4th of July snuck right up…”
    emma says:

yay! I’m planning on making the flag cake again! & some smores on a stick! :)

kristina says:

I totally love the ruffles! I would wear that.

colette says:

I didn’t get my patriotic outfit for my daughter this year either. i love those shirts and if I wasn’t so busy today I would definitely make them

Heather H says:

I made a tank top for my daughter last year using this idea (I even found star buttons! Awesome!). Yesterday, I realized I needed a red, white, and blue outfit for her parade today and was complaining that we don’t own any red, white & blue clothing…until my husband reached into the closet and pulled out that shirt and a pair of shorts that I snagged for $2 at the end of the summer. The shirt still fit and the shorts had stars on the hem that match the buttons. Perfect!

Good luck with the unpacking! It takes forever, doesn’t it?

HannahBee says:

Maybe I’ll make the flag cake again! I made it last year, and IT WAS A HUGE HIT!

Amanda Joy says:

I made some printable to decorate the table at the local fireworks on Monday. I can’t wait for the swimming and the treats.

I know what you mean. Where did June go?!?! Oh and you probably already know this, but Tatertots and Jello had some cute picts of you up from the Michael’s blogging convention – http://tatertotsandjello.blogspot.com/2011/06/michaels-creative-crew-blogger-event.html.

Sarah says:

I’m going to give that flag cake a try. Looks so yummy!

Amy says:

These are too cute!

Casey says:

Love these! I remember wanting to make them last year but never found the time. This year we’re hiding out in a hotel far far away from the fireworks. My husband is an Active Duty Marine with PTSD so fireworks are a no go this year. But it all works out since my daughter has to have testing done bright and early Tuesday morning. July 4th is one of my favorite holidays so I’m bummed but there’s always next year!! I’d rather have a happy, healthy family anyway ;)

can I just say that I think I’ve evolved? Yesterday I finished off similar shirts for my girls (with matching twirly skirts). I was so proud of myself for coming up with the concept of a ruffled flag effect. And now that i’ve seen it on your site I feel like I’m no longer in the beginner stage of my sewing capabilities! :) Yay me!
    Thank you for all your wonderfully creative posts! I thoroughly enjoy them!!!

I love this site! I am an avid crafter myself and I happened to stumble onto your site as I was looking for something to make for my living room decor. As I was reading about you and your family and your husband being so patient with your love of crafting (and messes with crafting) I saw myself! Thank you so much for this site. You have really inspired me in so many ways! You definitely have a new fan!

Amy Dudley
    Punky Bowtique

Linnea says:

I just love the ruffled flag t-shirt! What an adorable idea. Thanks for sharing!

Anne says:

Those shirts are adorable!!!!

Lindy@Itsy Bitsy Paper says:

What great shirts!!

I am having a Red, White and Blue Linky Party and I hope you will share this link.

Beth says:

I just made these shirts and they are adorable!!! Thanks so much for an easy and quick but super cute idea!!!

I love the little ruffles on the flag!!

Corena says:

I made this cake last night for our friends 4th of July party and it was a hit! Thanks for sharing

Kristen says:

Hey there! Just wanted to let you know that I am new to the world of sewing but I ventured in full force and made each of my three boys a flag shirt like the one you posted, along with plaid shorts for my youngest son and a plaid sundress for my little girl! Thanks for posting such a fun and easy (and adorable) project for me to copy!