Stuffed Fabric Turtles (with pattern pieces)

We were shopping around, down in Florida, after we went to the zoo several weeks ago

(yes, in Jacksonville…..some of you asked)……..and we stopped by a Pottery Barn Kids store.

I’m a window shopper.  Well, and an inspiration-seeker shopper.

I love walking around and daring myself to find something I want to make.  Ha.

Want to go shopping with me?

I might drive you crazy.

Then you and my husband will have something in common.

While we were there…..we saw some cute little stuffed turtles.

So I snapped a picture with my phone, and I decided to try and figure it out at home.

So, here’s my version…..a bit different, but just as sweet.

They are soft and plump and are perfect for little hands.

…..and the tail may be my favorite part.

After making one, you better let your turtle explore outside.

Would you like to make your own?

Turtle pattern pieces found here. (print off and cut out)

Cut out all of your turtle pieces, in whatever fabric and color choices you want.  Be sure to read the notes on each pattern piece and watch for when it says, “cut on the fold”.

(Also, you don’t want to use a stretchy fabric, or the turtle won’t hold its shape very well.)

If you want to make your turtle all one color or all different colors, it’s up to you.

Now, place 2 of the leg pieces together, with right sides together, and sew up around the outer edges, leaving the top straight edge open.  Do the same with the other legs pieces, making 4 legs.  Now, do the same thing with your head and tail pieces.

Next, turn all of these pieces right side out, using a pencil or a paintbrush end to help you poke them right side out.

Now, fill each piece with some stuffing (I used polyester fiberfill)……..using something like the end of a paintbrush helps to shove that batting into those small pieces.

Then sew each piece closed, about a 1/4 inch from the end.

Now, sew 2 of your shell pieces together along one side (with right sides together) and then sew the other 2 together.  (Make sure that the shell pieces are right side up while sewing together, or the sides won’t match.  The black dot on the shell pattern piece is the top of the shell.)

When sewing the 2 shell pieces together, start at the top of the shell (where the big circle is on the pattern piece) and go down along the one side.  Be sure to start right at the center of the top of the triangle piece….don’t cross that imaginary line down the center.

Then, open up the shell pieces.  These are going to be on the sides of your turtle.

Now grab one of the side sections and pin your head to the front end with the raw edges matching up.  Place it about a 1/2 inch from the bottom of the shell.  Then place the tail at the other end, about a 1/2 inch from the bottom as well.  Sew the head and tail in place, about a 1/4 inch from the edge.

Then place the other side of the shell right on top, with right sides together.  Sew from the center top, down one side……then start at the top again and sew down the other end.

Turn the shell right side out and it should look like this.

Flatten the shell down flat, then start pinning the feet to the shell.  Center each foot at the center edge of each shell section.  Sew each foot in place, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance.  (Add a little sewing tag at this point too, if you have one.)

Then turn your shell inside out and place right on top of the circle turtle bottom (that’s right side up).  Pin all the way around the turtle, attaching the shell to the bottom.

Then sew all the way around the base of the turtle, using a 1/4 inch seam allowance…..and leaving about a 3 inch opening along one side, between two of the side legs.

Next, turn the turtle right side out and begin shoving it full of your stuffing (I used polyester fiberfill)…

**When shoving your stuffing in, you’ll need to shove in enough to really expand the shell.

If you don’t have enough, it won’t round out……….but if you shove in too much, it will be too lumpy.

Really move the stuffing around and smooth it out as you’re filling it up.**

Then tuck your raw ends towards the inside, and use a blind stitch to sew your turtle closed.  (Need help with the blind stitch?  Click here.)

Now, that’s it.

You’re turtle is complete.

Now make several more and create a turtle family……or give each and every one away.

Because what child wouldn’t love a new little turtle friend?!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Filed under Baby, Children, Featured, Gift Ideas, Miscellaneous, Sewing

248 Responses to “Stuffed Fabric Turtles (with pattern pieces)”
    Tal says:

OMG, these are so cute! Thanks for the tutorial, I’m definitely going to try them!

Angie says:

These are ADORABLE! You are a genius. What a fun way to use up some scraps. Thanks so much for sharing your creativity and patterns!

Tiffany says:

The pictures are not working for me at all – weird. Guess I’ll try later and hope it works because I’d LOVE to make one of these tonight! :) I can see one picture of the finished turtles where you tell us to put them out in the yard, haha, so cute!

Becky says:

thanks so much for sharing your pattern! My husband LOVES my ‘window shopping for ideas’ too. :)

tina says:

Oh thats funny! I saw the giraffe pics and swore it was the Jax Zoo, but thought naaaah. Jacksonville is my hometown!

Samantha says:

I LOVE your blog! Now, I am only a beginner, self teaching, sewer and I see so many inspirational ideas. This is uber adorable and I hope to be able to quickly gain enough skill to make these look half decent.

Andrea M says:

I cant see any of the pics..sooo sad

They should work now, sorry about that…it was some weird code thing that I had to fix. Whew! -Ashley

Julianna says:

I’ve got the first 4 photos and then a pic of all the legs stuffed, but that’s it… :(

Tomi Ann says:

Oh, this would be such an adorable baby gift! Thanks for the tutorial. BTW, I can’t see most of the tut pictures, either.

They should work now, sorry about that…… was some weird code thing that I had to fix. Whew! -Ashley

Betsy says:

(for other commenters: I didn’t see the pics at first, but they WERE in my reader… and then when I viewed the “home page” the photos came up… not sure why… but try not looking JUST at the post?)

For Ashley… SO CUTE!! And perfect timing! I have some new baby friends who I was trying to figure out what to make for them…. :-D

Thanks for helping with that……I have no idea why pics were showing only on the home page. Weird. They should work now, sorry about that……it was some weird code thing that I had to fix. Whew! -Ashley

Greta says:

I can only see two or three pics. :( These are so adorable and would be perfect for some gifts I need make soon!

They should work now, sorry about that……….it was some weird code thing that I had to fix. Whew! -Ashley

Brenda says:

I would LOVE to make some of these for my son, but I am a visual sewer.. I need written instructions and pictures to make the written stuff make sense.. But unfortunately, I too am having trouble seeing all the images. :( BOO!! Still love your site though! By the way, the new layout is AWESOME!!!

They should work now, sorry about that……….it was some weird code thing that I had to fix. Whew! And thanks, glad you like the layout! -Ashley

These are adorable!!! I love the fabric too!

These are soooooo cute! I’m not the best at making stuffies, but these sure make me want to make them! I’ll be sharing about them on my blog too! :)

Greta says:

Thanks for the quick fix! Love it!

Kadybug says:

I love love love this! So cute! I can’t wait to try it out.

Clare G. says:

Cute, Cute , Cute!!!

Staci says:

Love this! Cant wait to try it!

Those are soooo cute! I LOVE them. I will definitely have to bookmark this tutorial. These would make such cute baby shower or birthday gifts! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Heidi K says:

I’ve always loved turtles. :) Thanks so much for sharing this. I can’t wait to make one.

patricia says:

i love the idea of challenging yourself like that….

Angie says:

Oh my goodness, these are adorable! I can’t wait to make one for my three girls and my 2 little nephews, oh and I would love to go shopping with you ;)

Megan says:

Way Cute! I might have to try it with some minky for a soft belly.

Nikki says:

OH MY GOODNESS!! I have to make one (or two) for my coming baby girl! LOVE!!! Thank you, thank you!!

Bonnie says:

You are freakin’ AMAZING! Thanks so much for all your tutorials. The turtles rock! Must make some for my kids ASAP.

Lynette says:

Ummm…I am loving these! How fun!

Danielle D. says:

I love these! I also love the new look of the site! Great job!

Lindsey says:

So stinkin’ cute!!! I now have to make these for my little girls. I recently made them your stuffed owls, which I adore just as much as they do!
    I also share a similar approach to shopping. But my ideas don’t always make it into such nice tutorials as you create. So thank you so much for sharing :)

These are adorable! I think my daughters (and all of my nieces and nephews and their friends) would love these! Thanks for the pattern.

By the way, I would love to go shopping with you. We would have so much fun inspiration window shopping! It’s all I do when I go out shopping anyway (that and head to the craft store to get more supplies!)

jess says:

very very cute!!! thanks for ALL of your tutorials!

any tips on how to get the pattern to print at the right size?

Celeste says:

These little guys just hopped to the top of my to-do list. My two-year old says we need to make them “right now.” These turtles are so cute, I’ll let him have his way (this time).

Laulief says:

Adorable! I must make a few for my soon to be born grandson! His nursery is done in turtles! Thanks so much!

bec says:

what perfect timing! my sister is having her 2nd baby & he fav toy when she was a bubba was a stinky “sooky” turtle! i have to make one for her now, it will be the perfect gift! i need to add one thing though, a really soft “sooky” tag so the new baby can suck it just like she did :) thanks for a beautiful idea

Lindsay says:

These turtles are so cute!! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

julie says:

These are amazing- you are amazing! If I had half your energy… laundry would probably folded!!! Thanks for the eye candy. BTW I really like your new blog layout.

Karyn says:

Those are adorable!!! I can’t wait to try making them myself. And…..bookmark!

Beth says:

Adorable…I know the perfect hands for them :) Thanks for sharing!

Erin says:

Love these! I’m making some for my friends sweet baby!

Brianne says:

So cute! I would love to go shopping with you. I’m not much of a shopper, but I think I could shop if I were looking for inspiration, especially with a crafty genius like you! Thanks for sharing, I’m bookmarking this one.

tinajo says:

These are just wonderful! :-)

Suzanne says:

OMG!!!! These are absolutely ADORABLE!!! I am due in October, and cannot wait to make one of these for my little girl… and my nieces of course!!! CUTE!! Thanks!

Yolanda says:

How cute! Thank you SEW much for sharing this with us!

louise says:

How absolutely adorable! I love the tail, too! I do the same thing with window insipration shopping. Growing up my mom would always say, ‘I can make that.’ It drove me CRAZY! The scary part, that’s what I say ALL THE TIME now! :) I also just got a book from the library about making more stuffed toys. I can do flat style stuffed toys, but I want to learn the science of 3 dims as well so I can create my own. This is very inspiring!

Emily says:

These are adorable. I would like to make them more of a bean bag style… just need to figure out what kind of beans to use. Looking for to exploring your previous posts.

Anja says:

For Washability, try Poly Pellets. (Same thing as is in Beanie Babies.) You can get them in the craft section of Walmart, or Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc..

Marnie says:

So cute- Kids would love these! I plan on making a bunch for charity. Thank you so much for sharing your pattern!

Joy B says:

This will be a perfect Christmas present for our great-nephew! In my niece’s ultrasound picture of little Gage, he resembled an upside-down turtle. Now, he get lots of turtle toys! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern and the tut!

Jen says:

Where do you buy your fabrics?

Tiffany says:

Not sure why my turtle’s shell ended up a little bunchy and not as smooth as yours… but he is still a cutie :)

Thanks again for sharing this – so quick to make and super cute :)

Biz says:

I need one of these, except slightly modified to be a sea turtle!
    It’d be perfect for our nursery!!
    You should consider making and selling a few of these adorable creations!

Melanie says:

We shop alike! And yes, I drive everyone crazy! Cutey-patootie turtles.

ellen says:

I can’t remember where I found your blog but I am so glad I did–I love it! These turtles are so adorable. We have sea turtles here and I have tons of fabric perfect for green sea turtles. I’d better get busy if I want to make them for the wee ones for Christmas. Thank you for your tutorials, especially this one.

So so so so so cute! Also so so so so cute: Your new blog design. Love it!

Sertyan says:

Thank you for this tutorial. Wonderful. Pinterest worthy!

faith says:

can’t hurt to say it one more time, right? these are so sweet and easy on the eyes. my boys would LOVE them.

Andrea says:

Can you share what fabrics you used on the green/blue turtle? Thanks!

Ashley Dodd says:

HELP!!! I absolutely love these little guys, but, as a mom of a 2 yr old, I want to turn them into “boo boo buddies” Got any suggestions?

dani says:

instead of one circle cut three. sew turtle as above but then take two extra circle add some quilt batting and then sew these together so you had a frisbee like flat disc then attach to the bottom of the turtle and leave an opening large enough to slide a small icepack into. I often will take a snack size or sandwich size ziploc bag fill loosely with frozen peas and use that in a booboo buddy pouch. Then we eat that kind of vegetable for supper of if your two year old is teathing he can munch on half frozen peas as a healthy snack that is soothing to the swollen gums. Good luck.

Aleisha says:

Ohhh! As soon as I saw this, I thought that would look so fun to do the shell in a Minky Dot fabric! The texture of that fabric would bring to life the shell of the Turtle! Thanks for the inspiration, I might try it out!

Marga Lund says:

I LOVE this ! ! !

Sheena says:

So cute! You did a great job! I’d love to go shopping. I love to just go and look. =)

LeAnn says:

Too cute!!! And I have LOTS of fun scraps. Gotta make some! Thank you!

Angie says:

I just love these! I’m making my neice a quilt for her birthday. She may need a turtle made from the scraps to match! :)

I love your new blog design. It looks great!

mariasun says:

Muchas gracias!!!!!

Ariane says:

Wow!! Just adorable. Thanks for the tutorial.

Christine says:

Totally love these little guys! I have now made 2 of my own and my daughter loves them!! Thanks for another wonderful tutorial!!

aj says:

o my heak!! i could DIE from how cute those little turtles are!! the tail iz definately the best part!!

Danni says:

Thanks for this tutorial! I actually made one of these little guys over the weekend for a friend of mine that is due in August and it was hard for me to mail it off to her. :) Thanks again for this adorable little gift idea!

SO STINKIN’ CUTE!!!! Loved this so much, we posted a link:

Thanks for sharing!

Missy & Kimi
    if I could…

leah says:

love this. I need/want to make a train for my nephew for his birthday. He’s into Chugginton. Saw your truck tutorial too. Do you have any suggestions, a tutorial or know where I can find how to make/get ideas to create a chuggington train stuffy? Thanks. Love your blog!

kalyn says:

thanks for the grea ttutorial my first time making anything and after making 1 it was so easy I made 5 more

Jackie says:

Love your turtles so much I’ve just printed the pattern out. I should be doing other things, but I can see a turtle or two in my near future…

Amber says:

Better than Potter Barn! Love it, thanks!!

Ann says:

Thanks for the free tutorials. I just made one of your turtles, and my sons love it.

doro K. says:

they’re adorable! great choice of fabrics…they look so fresh!

I linked to your tutorial on my blog – thanks for sharing!

doro K.

Melisa H says:

I have been teaching a kids summer sewing class for the last 5 weeks and needed a good stuffed toy pattern. I enlarged this pattern a bit and used it (giving you credit) and it was a major hit! Thanks for the good idea!

Kim says:

Thank you for this tutorial! We were invited to a last minute 1st birthday party tonight, and I was able to make this cute little turtle this afternoon for the birthday boy! He loved it! My kids kept asking when I was going to make one for them!

Charo says:

I love them. I’m going to make them, for sure!
    Greetings from Spain

kelsey says:

I tried printing out the pieces for the turtle but they aren’t printing right, do you know why? It comes out way too small or so big that it doesn’t print anything but half of the shell

Marie says:

Love your site! This turtle is adorable!! My sweetheart adores turtles, can’t wait to make one for him. And they can be made any size also! Such fun, thank you for sharing. I might even make one for my granddaughter and her little friend :).

Karen says:

thank you so much for this! I’ve been searching for a simple pattern to make little toys to send with my husband when he visits a Somali refugee camp on the border of Kenya. I’m sure your delightful turtle will brighten a few children’s lives!

Ruthie says:

These are WOW!!!!

My darling 4 year old daughter and her little 2 year old cousin are going to love these, and I have found your brilliant tutorial in plenty of time to get all my christmas sewing done.

Jill says:

Wow, this so cute and easy. I’m thinking these would be great pin cushions for my family this year for Christmas (as well as some CUTE home decor for me)!!! Thanks for the idea!!! This gives me something to do with all my scraps!

Danielle says:

With very little extra effort, I think I can turn this into a hand puppet… which my girls will love!

Belinda says:

Hi loving this tutorial, the turtles are just adorable however I can’t seem to get the pattern, it only prints half of it, weird, is there any way you can email it to me?

thanks heaps

jo says:

They are beautiful, I love the combination of prints and colours.

The turtles are too sweet, really like the fabric choices and how darling they came out!

Jen says:

What a great tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing it and sharing the pattern. I seriously appreciate people who take the time to make tutorials and share them for free. I’m making these for my nephew coming at the end of the month!!

Beverly Jane says:

Just beginning again after 40+ years and with a computerized machine….Whoa!! What an experience. I would love this little guy to come out well. If it does I will make a bunch for our sick children in the local hospital so they can all have their very own little turtle. God bless and thank you.

freefalling says:

I made one!
    And I LOVE him.
    I had no hope in hades of making a turtle like this without your pattern and instructions.
    Wanna see him?
    He’s here:

minejaz550 says:

just can’t wait to make it,it is cute

rousseau says:

Je trouve ce doudou très beau, mais si vous pouviez me traduire le montage de celui en français ,je pourrais le faire pour ma petite fille.Tous mes compliments pour cette réalisation.
    Marie josé Rousseau.

Lucky1 says:

I have just found you adorable little turtle and would love to have your okay to make them for a charity I run called HUGGLES For Kids. Myself along with HUGGLES Angles make little softies (HUGGLES) for sick children.
    We don’t charge for the HUGGLES, its a free thing I have started up.

Ruthie says:

Oh my gosh!! YOU ARE A GENIUS. I love your tutorials! Thanks for sharing!!!

Micaley says:

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou.
    This pattern is perfect.
    I Am making by babies nursery underwater theme and have had a real hard time finding things that suit.
    I was looking for a fish pattern to make a door stop but this little turtle will be perfect.
    You are very clever

SHEILA says:

Make the bottom from an old bath towel….Stuff with the rest of the towel…

Living in MN….We have snow for about 7 months………….These are great to have, to kick across the floor, to clean up the drips from walking across the floor. Having 6 feet, and 4 paws coming in and out a dozen times a day this lil turtle stays busy………..[[ that is 1 husband,2 boys,and a dog!! ]]

Making sure all the seams are sewed WELL……………..They can be thrown in the wash with the regular laundry.
    Have used them as Christmas, Housewarming, Birthday Gifts………………Everyone really appreciated the gift.

dani says:

this is adorable and will be making a few for my sea life nursery with scraps from the bedding. I’m curios though if you have wver thought of putting some kind of weight in the bottom to make this a fun paperweight for a home office or even to dress up a drab cubicle? Any ideas on what to use to weight it? Also is this stiff enough to use as a pincushion? I’m always looking for fun easy projects like this to make for teacher gifts and for extended family at the holidays as we have a large family…

sky says:

anyone know a site with the ppattern pieces? (like a pattern) or do you have one you can post? BTW- LOVE this!!! :D

ee walton says:

hi, can you tell me where you purchased you nifty personalized “m” labels??? thanks!
    Loved your creativity!

Farhana says:

Very cute! Love how you used different fabric colors.

Karen says:

I loved these turtles. My granddaughter’s sorority “mascot” is the turtle. I cut and paste to document but can’t seem to get right size according to 2′ square. I changed margins but tells me it is outside of printable document. Can anyone help?

I had the same problem, but after some thinking i just sized them to the right size on my laptop and CAREFULLY traced the shapes on paper. Also it does not actually matter how big they, just make sure the pieces can be turned in-side out after using a 5/8 of an inch seam. i have made 5 of these so far and in different sizes too. they all turned out adorable!

Candy says:

Super cute and have to try it! Thanks for the tutorial.