Recipe for Spinach/Feta Eggs (Caution: Incredibly Delicious)

My parents have a system worked out after 47 years of marriage.

My mom makes dinner and my dad makes breakfast.  Like real breakfast.  Not just cereal or microwaved oatmeal.  And my parents sit and enjoy a full breakfast together, almost every single morning.  (Steve better pick up on my dad’s breakfast skills because our time’s a comin’.)

One of my very favorite meals that my dad makes……are these rockin’ spinach and feta eggs.

I’m pretty sure all of us kids like to get up early while visiting, so that we can butt in on our parents breakfast routine.  Especially on spinach/feta egg morning.  Yum.  (That is gluten free rice bread toast.  Another yum.)

I convinced my dad to share the recipe, and actually figure out how much he uses of each ingredient…….instead of a little of this and a little of that.

Would you like a new breakfast recipe, that will knock those dang socks off?

Just believe me.  You’ll fall in love.

(This recipe serves 3)

The first ingredient: Spinach

Right now is perfect time of year for my dad to make his signature dish, while using fresh spinach from his garden.

My dad was a computer engineer his whole life.  And sat at a desk all day.  But now that he’s retired…….his love is gardening.  He is as happy as can be digging around in the dirt, planting his produce.

(And he just got his first pair of overalls for father’s day.  Now he’s legit!)

Anyway, you’ll need 10 ounces of fresh spinach (from your garden or bagged).  You can also use frozen spinach (2 cups) but make sure to buy the loosely frozen chopped spinach, not the compressed little frozen bricks.  He said the brick kind turns out awful.  Haha……just humor him. :)

Set that aside as you chop up about a 1/2 cup of red onion.

Sautee the onions in a generous amount of olive oil (maybe a few tablespoons?) on medium/low heat for 2 minutes.  Add your washed fresh spinach (or your frozen spinach) and combine.

Add a 1/2 teaspoon of dried oregano.

My dad says the oregano is key……so don’t skip it.  Always trust the guy in overalls.

Now, cover with a lid, stirring occasionally, and allow the spinach to reduce.  This usually takes 5-6 minutes.  (If you’re using frozen spinach, leave uncovered and just cook through.)

When it’s done, it will look like this.

Right before the spinach is done, beat 4 large eggs in a bowl with a fork and then add 3 tablespoons of heavy whipping cream.  Combine well.  Then add the egg mixture to your spinach (still on medium/low heat) and combine thoroughly.

My dad says the secret is to cook this slowly.  Stir continuously to keep it from sticking but you don’t want to mutilate the eggs.  You want them to hold their shape.

After the eggs are done, turn off the heat and add a 1/3 cup of crumbled feta.  Stir to combine and then remove from the hot pan right away.

Put your eggs on a plate, add mozzarella cheese to the top and allow it to melt just a bit.

(If needed, you can microwave it for a moment to partially melt the cheese.  Just depends on your taste.)

Serve with toast and fruit…….and enjoy.

Thanks dad, for sharing your secret recipe.

And I’m not sure why you waited until you were 74 years old to buy your first pair of working overalls.

You make a handsome looking farmer.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Breakfast and Brunch, Eggs, Family, Featured, gluten free, Recipes

Comments

45 Responses to “Recipe for Spinach/Feta Eggs (Caution: Incredibly Delicious)”

You say Spinach and Feta together…and I am IN. Two of my very favorite things…combined…yummmm

Can we say pregnant lady wants an omelet? Lol

Megan says:

Oh my gosh. I love your dad!! Thoes overalls are perfect for him. My gpa always wore them with a light blue button up shirt under them. This so made me miss him <3 Thank you for sharing!

Helen G. says:

Looks delicious! I LOVE both of them together as well. I think I might just have to try that sometime soon. Off to the market to get some feta and fresh spinach! Hmmm, now that I think about it, I should’ve grown spinach in our garden this Summer. Here are some pictures of our garden, by the way… Love having one!! http://helenscornerblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/our-summer-2011-garden.html

Jenny says:

Your dad is so adorable! Tell him thank you for sharing this recipe – it sounds so yummy. Can’t wait to try it. Pinning it to Pinterest!!

Michele says:

Sounds delicious! I will definitely try it this weekend.

Nikki says:

Yum! That look delicious!! I usually have granola with my husband inthe mornings, but I’m going to try this over the weekend! I agree, your Dad is a handsome farmer! :)

susy says:

las espinacas no son una de mis verduras preferidas pero viendo la receta y la pinta del plato sin duda voy a intentar prepararlo… felicita a tus padres por esos 47 años juntos…qué maravilloso es el amor!!
    un besito y feliz finde
    susy

That is so awesome (for 4 reasons)!
    1) that your parents do this daily
    2) that your dad makes something so awesome
    3) that you shared
    4) just how adorable your pop is!

This looks amazing! I love all of those ingredients..I am seriously making this dish over the weekend :) And your father..what a stud!

emma says:

your dad is absolutely adorable!! this has got to be one of my favorite posts ever! can’t wait to try! thank u & ur dad for sharing!

Jen says:

Does your dad have any single sons? Actually, I’m married, but he is so darn adorable. :) Thanks for sharing!

Deanna says:

love this!!! THose pictures are FAB.U.LOUS!

and that looks DELICIOUS! My parents have the same routine…mainly because my mom was/is always busy getting kids to practice the piano and dressed and out the door for school. :)

This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing.

Annalisa says:

he is adorable, and yes, a handsome farmer. Thanks for sharing his recipe, I will make it for my parents next time they come to visit!!

Faith says:

Thank you for sharing! This looks great and how sweet your dad is to share! :)

MaryAnn says:

I thought I recognized your mom in one of your older posts and now that I see your pictures of your dad, I know that I really do know them. I LOVE your parents. These pictures make me miss them so much. They are so wonderful. Your mom is an amazing seamstress. I saw her make some incredible transformations to men’s suits that were previously held together by duct tape. She did things with her sewing machine that should have been impossible and helped so many people. I will make this tomorrow and think of your wondeful parents. Thanks so much for your blog. I love reading it.

Sonja says:

Ooo, this does look delicious! Can not wait to try it!

Janny says:

This looks absolutely delicious!

Sally says:

Thanks! The pics of your dad made me smile…reminds me of my Grandpa. He did almost all the cooking and grocery shopping when he was alive. My grandma had no idea how nice she had it! My Grandpa was the one that taught my mom how to make gravy from scratch! Who says guys can’t cook?! Now I want to plant spinach in my garden too!

Sylvia says:

I love your dad!!! He looks handsome in his overalls. :). Please thank him from me for sharing the recipe, I’m definitely giving that one a try.

Laura says:

I love that tradition your parents have. And this sure looks yummy! It’s funny, b/c we just had a spinach/feta quiche for dinner tonight. I’ll have to give your dad’s recipe a try!

Tanya H. says:

I’m eating some right now! Delicious! Thanks to your dad for a great breakfast idea.

Angela says:

Oh, I love this post. Your dad seems like such a sweet guy. Thanks for sharing!

Ingrid says:

Thanks for this recipe. It looks delicious! I’ll treat it. Please, say thanks to your handsome dad from me, and give kisses from Venezuela.

Judith B. says:

What a handsome fellow your Dad is…..my Dad worked for the railroad for over 30 years and he also gardened (a lot…like acres) so his favorite attire was overalls. Will definitely make this breakfast treat soon – love all the ingredients…might teach my hubby how to make and then he can surprise me one morning with breakfast in bed!

Carrie says:

I just HAD to comment. Your Dad’s eyes hold true kindness. He reminds me a lot of my Dad (even the same age and overalls). Hope you are enjoying Co.

Tabitha says:

I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks for sharing a wonderful veggie friendly recipe!

Deanne says:

Thanks for a heart warming post. Who would have thought reading about eggs, spinach, and feta cheese would make me cry? Seeing your father cooking and knowing you were standing in the kitchen with him taking photos (and probably measuring out the ingredients for posterity) was so sweet. I miss my parents very much. It is wonderful to see family oriented posts, and thanks for sharing!

Jennifer says:

Your dad is so adorable! Do you think I could hire him out to come and cook that breakfast at my house? hehe! Thanks for the great recepie :0)

Whitney says:

Weird. I made these this morning and thought of your Dad. I don’t even remember when he made them for us, but I’ve been making them ever since. It must have been quite a while ago.

What a lovely post! Thanks for sharing that yummy recipe, both of you!

Melanie says:

Ok, this is really funny…I just made my own spinach eggs (my glutenous kids ordered pizza!)…then I opened your blog and there they were…beautiful spinach and feta eggs. Mine don’t have feta (only because I don’t have any on hand but I LOVE it!) But, I do use oregano and NO DON’T SKIP IT! I am gluten free and so is my engineer sister, my dad is a former engineer turned resort owner/operator/farmer. He rocks the suspenders rather than overalls. But my hubby rocks the overalls! Anyway, thanks for sharing your dad and his most righteous Spinach and Feta Eggs. Now I’m missing my dad who lives 5 hours away. Time for a phone call! Many blessings to you all!

Chrissy says:

Oh, that bread does look delicious!! Could you PLEASE share the recipe? We just went gluten-free as a family a week ago (our son is on the autism spectrum so we finally changing our diet to see if it helps!). The bread we’ve tried just isn’t an option … our son won’t touch the stuff. I really, really, really need a good recipe so he can occasionally have those PB and honey sandwiches again! Thanks for any help you can offer!!!!!

Sandy says:

Looks yummy! Did I miss the calorie/fat info somewhere though?

Chrissy–that bread looks like the GF bread they sell in the frozen section at Costco. If it is I can say that it is DELICIOUS!

Walmart still had a good selection of flag shirts for $3.50. Old Navy had slim pickin’s last night for $5 ($3.33) along with buy 2 get 1 free of anything in the whole store. But those shirts are adorable that you made especially the little girl one. I wonder what it would look like if on the navy you painted white dots or stars and also scrunched it up like the stripes. I wonder if the white would show up. Just a thought.

Sorry not sure how my comment got on this post and not the one with the kid flag shirts.

Joy says:

I wanted to make some eggs with spinach and feta cheese, and of all the recipes I looked at online, this one looked and sounds the best. Great photos with it! As my veteran husband refuses to eat spinach, I am going to make this later this week when my newly college graduate daughter comes to visit us. I always love making a special breakfast for my grown kids when they come to visit. I know this will be a big hit. Thanks for sharing.

jessica says:

Thanks for the great recipe! i served it for breakfast this morning and it was delicious. Love all your ideas!

Lauren says:

Thanks for the yummy recipe! I was in need of new ways to use up our costco bag of spinach, and I am not patient enough to bake a spinach quiche for an hour. I am nursing and need food quick! And this is nice and quick! We didn’t have feta so we sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top instead and it was great! Thanks again!

Jenny says:

Been wanting to make these for a while and finally did this morning. SO YUMMY. Thanks again!

Susan says:

What a delightful recipe! And as a dad/grampa fan, I’m just in love with your Dad, how cute is he? Glad he found his real passion. I just wanted to say I was so excited to find this recipe, we’re on South Beach diet and I’m getting tired of the same old recipes. I modified it slightly by using reduced fat cheese and fat-free half & half, and we gobbled it up! Thanks for sharing the recipe, story and pictures. I wish your parents many more years eating together! <3

Stacey says:

This was so easy and delish – thanks for sharing! I will be making this a staple in my morning breakfasts.

Leah says:

I just made these eggs for breakfast after my workout and they were delicious!