Ruffle Shirt {from ruffle fabric scraps}

I had a few projects stored away from before the move (here, here, here, and here)……..so I have a few to share that I just never had time to post before leaving Georgia.  Perfect.  Because, you know, things aren’t quite unpacked yet.

………you know how that goes.

But remember how I fell in love with ruffle fabric Oh, you don’t remember? Well check it out here, here, here, and here.

And because the fabric is so lovely, I can’t throw scraps away.

So I used them here. On this simple little shirt.

Quick.  Easy. And a great little pick-me-up.

You could add this to your shirt, a baby onesie, a little girl shirt.……you know, whatever you can get your hands on.

(This Tee is from Downeast. Nice price, great length, good stretch.  Have one in about 10 colors.  Nope, not getting paid……I just love their shirts on my long torso. Ha.)

Here’s how I made mine:

I grabbed a knit tee that I already wore and liked.  I picked off the neckline only along the front but didn’t cut it off.

Then I cut a rectangular piece of the ruffle fabric, with a rounded bottom edge.

Next, I placed the ruffle fabric right on top of the shirt, making sure the top edge passed the neckline just a bit.  Then I pinned under the side and bottom edges right to the shirt. (I tried the shirt on at this point, to see if the ruffles hit in a good spot.  I first made it too wide and it made my chest look weird.  So I narrowed it down a bit and looked much better.  So try yours on too.)

Then sew the ruffle fabric right to the shirt.

Now, trim off the top of the ruffle fabric, matching it with the top edge of the neckline.

Then fold the neckline edging back into place, and then pin it.

Now, sew the neckline back in place.  If your original neckline had two seams like mine did, be sure to create 2 seams.

And that’s it.

Pretty quick.  And pretty satisfying.

. . . . . . . . . .

This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Clothing, Featured, Re-purposing, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

14 Responses to “Ruffle Shirt {from ruffle fabric scraps}”
    Mandi says:

how cute! I love that fabric :D

Patrice says:

CUTE!!!!

jaclyn says:

I love that it looks like it took a ton of work but really was quite simple! =) looks great!

Beth says:

Seriously, you are awesome! Great tutorial and such a fun shirt. Thanks for sharing :)

Leslie says:

Ok, I can’t stand it any more! How the heck do you manage to have a baby, move, take care of young children and fit in so much sewing and quilting? I’m guessing that you either; a) never sleep, not ever and live on a steady diet of Red Bull and no-doz or b) you have a secret room where an army of your personal crafty little elves work 24X7 to ”support” you in your creative endeavors! I’d say that you must neglect your family but your kids always look so cute! So…give…what’s the secret?

Adrienne says:

So cute! I need to buy a sewing machine pronto! And I’m right there with Leslie wondering those same things! HOW in the world do you do it all?? :)

Amanda says:

I bet she is smart and never watches the wasteland we call TV, hence, more time for family and projects.

Amanda B. says:

I’ve been eyeing up the ruffle fabric for quite some time for the other awesome projects (diaper covers, especially!) I was thinking about getting my little one a petti romper with straps for her “spiritual welcoming” (christening, basically), but was thinking perhaps I could make her one with this material quite easily…? Any thoughts on the stretchiness of this material for this use before I purchase it?

I also wonder how you do it all? Wonder-Mama! :)

Kristen says:

I think this would be cute for a boy, too, with a little bow-tie and faux button placket up top – it reminds me of a tuxedo, the colored 70′s style type. In a good way. :)

Kirsten says:

Hi Ashley,

This looks like something our readers would love to make. You’ll find this project on our site and on your designer profile soon!

Thanks for sharing great ideas :)

Kirsten
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

lizzie says:

this is just for me !! petty simple and nice, I decided to keep a piece of this ruffled fabric but I didn t know what to do with it, it is a scrap indeed, now I do. Thank you !

Danielle says:

I just wanted to let you know I featured you over at Blissful and Domestic today :>

Stop by and grab a button

Susan says:

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I love your site and thanks for mentioning where you buy your long tee’s. I also have a long torso. That’s what got me started sewing my own things to begin with!

Kellie j says:

I am so excited about finding your site!! I have also gotten so excited bc you are tall like me and you have clothing/shoe issues, too! I recently lost a bunch of weight and now need to “upcycle” just about my whole closet and yôu have AMAZING ideas and tutorials!! I was wondering if you have tips for something to do to add length to shirts? I am forever frustrated by shirts that are too short, but if I only ever bought tall shirts/tshirts, I would be broke! I sometimes buy maternity, if its a fitted tee that’s long in front and back, but generally end up wearing two shirts usually but we live in a hot climate! Would love suggestions for a tall girl shirt upcycle/overhaul!! Thanks so much for all the great ideas!