Happy “Un-Crafty” 3rd Birthday

Someone in our house just turned 3. And turning 3 means my little buddy is a ‘little kid’ now.  Crazy.

(3 also means this little turkey better show some interest in the potty because it’s okay to change “toddler” poopy diapers…….but not “little kid” poopy diapers.  Ha.)

Anyway, this little guy is growing right up.  And the things this little twerp says, ha, really keeps us rollin’.  Happy 3rd birthday buddy!

So, onto the crafty, er, un-crafty, side of things.

Not everything in our life is handmade and crafty.  In fact, birthdays just happen to be one of the most un-crafty affairs in our house.  I like to make things (maybe you already knew that??) but I don’t make everything.  If I have the time to make things……I do.  But if not, store bought is totally okay with us.

Does that help relieve some pressure that you have to make every occasion homemade and picture perfect?  Well, un-crafty birthdays are just as picture perfect.  Just celebrate the birthday……and don’t worry if there’s no time for handmade banners and party hats and elaborate cakes.

I get asked how I have time to do what I do.  Well, I need to keep reminding everyone that I seriously don’t do it all.  Haha.  If I had some fun and quick ideas running in my head for a birthday, I would do it……….but I’m also very okay with not make-ing it and love-ing it (haha!) for some occasions.

See that plastic tablecloth??  Totally festive…..and un-crafty.

How about that slumpy cake?  Yep, I slapped some canned frosting on that bad boy (mmm….love that frosting!!), a few cars and candles, and that birthday boy felt incredibly special.

Are you feeling pressure to make all the party hats? Why?  When you can find perfectly obnoxious party hats at the dollar store.  And you can even forget to take the tag off, like I did…..you know, in case you forget what it is.

In fact, party hats for everyone can be found at the dollar store.

Not all presents have to be hand-made either.  If I have the time, great.  But if not, there’s plenty of fun in a store bought toy.

Especially when cousins are around to toy-test with you.  See those cars speeding around the track?  Lightning fast. And hours of fun.

Anyway, just wanted to share the un-crafty side of my life. Don’t get me wrong, I really have so much fun making things.  So when an idea comes…….I will sometimes spend sleeping hours finishing it if I have to.  (I know, I should work on that.)  But if no ideas (or time) are there, that’s okay.  See?  I don’t craft every last inch of my life and living space.  haha!

So don’t sweat it if you think your parties aren’t perfect.  Who says they have to be fancy and detailed and color coordinated?  They don’t.  Have fun making things if you have the time and enjoy them just the same if you don’t.  Simple is just as sweet.

And then just sit back and marvel that someone is having a birthday…….and celebrate with them.

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

38 Responses to “Happy “Un-Crafty” 3rd Birthday”
    Camille says:

I’m so glad to hear this side of you! I am one of those who would LOVE to be able to do all the fun crafty things you do, but I’m afraid it’s just not in me. So, it usually ends up being quite simple, and very obviously UN-crafty! Keep up your blog. It’s fun to read, and I really love your ideas! one of these days, I will actually DO some of your projects! (: Good luck in CO, and keep posting pics of those darling kids! I, for one, love to read little glimpses of your sweet family life along with the crafty stuff.

Firstmute says:

I love this! It’s easy to get overwhelmed (and, truthfully, a little discouraged!) by all the amazing projects, amazing blogs, and amazing women out there on the internet, so thank you for letting us see the whole picture :)

Jennifer says:

I completely agree! Thanks for sharing this with us!! Great to know it is okay to bu un-crafty sometimes. Happy Birthday to the big boy.

Brenda says:

Happy Birthday little man!!! I just love it when you throw in posts about your family. Especially with pictures of your cute bambinos!! It’s nice to see that even someone as crafty as you has uncrafty days like the rest of us..

Jen Avila says:

You just made me breathe a HUGE sigh of relief!! Sometimes I get so tired reading all about these fabulous parties that women with seemingly unending time and money can create. (ok, mabe it is a tad bit of jealousy) ;-) Makes me feel way more human to see posts like this every once in awhile. lol. Thanks for sharing! Looks like your little guy had a super day!

Kelly says:

Happy Birthday to your little man! My daughter turned 3 in March and man… those 3 year olds say the craziest things :)

Love this post too! Thanks for keeping it real!

Heidi says:

Totally agree….but it does make ME feel better that I am not the only one that just can’t craft for EVERYTHING!

Amy ♥ says:

I’m so glad to hear you’re human too! :) Happy Birthday to your handsome man!

adrienne w says:

So glad to read this! Moderation in everything, right? And I’m also SO happy to read that your little guy isn’t potty trained! Ha, ha! We’re working on that this week with my little girly who will be 3 in 2 weeks. It’s nice to know that I’m not alone…

Betsy says:

If this was a FB post, I’d click “like” :-P

Lisa says:

Love the reminder that it’s more important to enjoy the moment…then frantically try to create everything! What a wonderful party.

LOVE this! Thanks for helping me remember not everything always has to be crafted and perfect. Your little guys birthday turned out adorable even without crafting.

Kate says:

I love that you posted this! Handmade parties are gorgeous, but the work that goes into them makes me shudder. It would not be a happy prep time in my house at all if I thought I had to get all that done myself! Good for you for enjoying the celebration and not worrying about every detail being something YOU have to do from scratch!!

Barbara says:

I raised two boys. They both were potty trained soon after their third birthdays. I so remember telling my oldest that “it’s very distasteful for me to have to clean up your poopy diapers,” and him responding, “I don’t want to eat it!”

Anne says:

okay, that’s hilarious that the party hats have a “party hat” tag on them. :o)

Alisha says:

You are my kind of gal – I could eat the whole can of Rainbow Chip frosting. {blush}

Amy J says:

We have a little guy turning 3 next month, and there is a very good chance his birthday will be very much like your lil’ guy’s. So much more fun for mom ;)

Jessica says:

Thank you so much for this post! With all of these amazing blogs of extremely crafty and talented mommies, the pressure can be pretty intense on us other mommies just trying to keep up! I LOVE following blogs and it’s true that people can get the wrong impression that everybody else is finding time and making everything perfect…I feel relieved to know that you don’t make everything, all of the time:) Thanks again.

B. Moore says:

You’ve only got to stop and look at those beautiful faces…healthy, happy, fresh faces to realize, how Good we’ve really got it at times and to hope those times continue.
    And in the middle of the night when the “bingies” hit, any cookie or piece of fruit is a great dipper for a can of icing.
    I always have a couple tins on the shelf… you know, for baking.
    YUMMMMM.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to him. …..
    Brenda

Lynette says:

Thanks for showing us that store bought is okay too. In fact, this year I chose not have a birthday cake for my birthday…we had strawberry smoothies instead! :) yum

Thanks for being so real, Ashley! I admit – I was going to NOT throw a 4th of July party – only because I don’t have time to make it “over-the-top”! After reading your post – its really about the time spent with the people who come and not the “amazingness” of the party decor/treats/etc! So…I’m going to send out an evite, throw up some dollar store decorations, ask people to bring their fave BBQ side and ENJOY the day spending quality time with friends & family! :-) Love the new look on your blog BTW! Its so easy to navigate & simple to look at! Thanks for all the time you put into it! ALL of your followers I’m sure, appreciate it – including me! :-)

Rae-Lynne says:

My son also just had his 3rd birthday, although I am not super crafty in my life so birthday parties are done right up and beyond but I love doing it (but I do use store icing…like you said, its yummy!). I just thought it was funny looking at the presents as my son got the exact same things! :-) (same tool set and a car track)

Karen C. says:

Happy Birthday guy! today is my birthday too. but I’m 52. Happy 3!!!!

Lynnae says:

Oh how I miss that little guy! Give him (and you) and hug from me!

Ammerine Dellenbaugh says:

okay – please share the race track name and where it was purchased? please!! my son is turning three in a couple of months and would be ALL over that track…

Jolynn says:

I love this! I think there can be so much pressure to have a perfect birthday party, and I’ve done it to myself. But really, it is perfect if your kid loves it! Thanks for showing your uncrafty side and good luck with potty training!

Beth says:

Happy Birthday to your little guy!!!

I have done both sides of the Birthday Party craziness…my boys love their celebrations no matter how much sleep I lose (or don’t lose). Good to know I am not the only one :)

Rachael says:

Oh how I love Rainbow Chip frosting. I love it so much that I put it as one of the middle layers of frosting in my wedding cake.

True facts.

I am so glad I found your blog. I am an Idaho girl living in a NC world (for the past 4 years). Happy Birthday to your precious son! Can’t believe how fast they grow!!

Kristina says:

Yaaay! I LOVE that you said this! I love that you don’t act like every cake for every little kid who probably won’t remember it anyway has to have fondant and take three days to create. Rainbow chip frosting tastes WAY better anyway! I’m not into stressing myself to death creating my own hats, banners, cupcake flags, and I don’t know what else for a kid’s party. I set a budget of ten dollars for my son’s 2nd birthday, and spent it at Dollar Tree. Woohoo! Anyway, that’s my speech. Hope your adorable little man had a great birthday!

Nilgün Komar says:

I wish a happy birthday with this handsome

Amy says:

great post! happy birthday to your little BOY (and to mom and dad for 3 whole years !!!) that potty is a tough one especially as they get older.

Melanie says:

Thanks for your candidness! I call that “candidity”! Reminding us all that, as much as we’d all like things to be perfect, people are WAY more important! Enjoy those babies…mine are growing way too fast for my taste!

Stephanie says:

Aw, that first picture is adorable! Happy birthday, cutie!

The party hat tag cracked me up! Thanks for your honesty and for inspiring me to be more creative with my new bog.

Emily G says:

Happy Birthday to your little guy! A party is a party, no matter what! Especially if you are lucky enough for it to include rainbow chip frosting and family!

This is my favorite post of the year. THE YEAR!

I love to craft as much as the next person, but I don’t necessarily want to make every single social event into a craftaganza, you know? I’m a better Mom when I focus on my kids on their birthdays instead of making their birthday a crafting event.

I’m not saying that it’s better in general. For some people it’s absolutely the right thing. I’m saying FOR ME — I’m a way better Mom when I don’t.

Thanks,

~Angela~

YAY for being REAL!! I have all 3 of my boys b’days in less than 2 months during this summer and I am having a 4th baby in like 2 weeks. I have been stressing over b’days- feeling like I have to make everything- because that is what I do- and my husband keeps reminding me to keep it simple! I love to see the REALNESS of this post. Let’s face it, not every mom has the time to make every little thing – the child just wants to be loved and they don’t care where their party hats are from :) Anyway- great post and thank you for keeping it real. The real moms out there really appreciate this post!

Great post! It sounds like he had a wonderful uncrafty birthday. :)