2 Days Down, 1 To Go… (drive from GA to CO)

Driving from Tennessee to Kansas was again, pretty uneventful.  We had almost perfect weather…….I guess it did rain a few times while in Illinois.  But nothing really slowed us down along the way.  Whew.  We drove through so many towns………..each with their own little water tower.

I don’t really like to do the driving.  Steve and I trade sometimes, but only when he’s tired.  So I was the passenger for most of the trip.

But because I’m not driving, that means I’m handing back snacks to the big kids, putting the passifier back in baby girls’ mouth, shushing her tears until we can pull off at the next exit, changing out DVDs in the player, finding dropped toys and books, etc.  It’s a full time job up in that front seat.  Ha ha.  And exhausting.  Who’s with me??

Let me tell you what, we bought the best thing for this trip.  It’s one of those long grabber arm thingies.  You know, that tool that most people use to grab something that has fallen in a tight or narrow space.  Well, we bought this to hand snacks, books, blankets, and toys back to the kiddos.  I can reach the middle row just fine, but there is no way I can reach the very back seat……..and throwing things back there was sometimes a big mess.  However, problem solved.  And it always makes the kiddos laugh to have this arm giving them their stuff.

Do you see the end of that arm?  It squeezes right around whatever you need to hand back there.  Perfect.  And it also saves me when something has fallen and I just can’t reach it with my own arm.

And since handing back a handful of snacks would be impossible, I brought a box of baggies to fill with things and then hand on back.

If you’re going on a trip in a large car and don’t have one……..get one. Hurry.

I know, kind of tacky, and may puzzle on-lookers……..but you’ll thank me later.

(We bought this one at Target and it actually folds in half so we can store it under the seat.  It’s going to stay in the car at all times.

I”m sure we’ll even use it when we’re on a short trip to the store.   Those little hands drop a lot of things.)

And this little guy was trying to watch a show but the sun was in his eyes.  We lost his sunglasses a few weeks ago, so I gave him my backup pair to block that evening sun.  They did the job……..but kept sliding down his little nose.  Let’s just say those lenses need a good scrubbing after those messy little potato chip hands kept pushing them back into place.

Anyway, only one day left.  And the shortest drive of all of the days.  We’re all excited to arrive in CO and even more excited to see family.  The kids are tired of stopping in hotels instead of Grandma/Grandpa’s house.  We’ll be there soon, little monkeys.

P.S. So many of you have offered help and a place to stay along the way.  Thank you, thank you.  I have quite a bit of family that will help unload and unpack with us (at least they better!!!) but thanks for being so lovely and kind.

However, we’re going to have to arrange some way to have some sort of getaway.  Or lunch.  Or fabric swap.  Or chatting session.  Whatever.

I can see there are so many of you out here in Colorado.  I was actually thinking of doing the same thing before leaving GA, but time slipped away.  Darn.  (Love you Georgians!!!)

Filed under Family, Featured

Comments

59 Responses to “2 Days Down, 1 To Go… (drive from GA to CO)”

I’m always trying to throw stuff to the backseat, and the results are awful – - this is genius!

Vanessa says:

I totally have been wanting to get one of those arm grabber things but for a different reason – I’m 8 months pregnant with two kids who leave their toys all over the floor (whose kids don’t?). It’s getting hard to bend over and pick up toys so that arm grabber would be perfect! And if I could keep using it for the long road trips in the minivan – that would be even better! So thanks for the suggestion. I might actually go buy one now!

Lacey says:

This is exactly what I did around the 8 month mark. I couldn’t bend over to pick up all the little things left around the house anymore and they had these at Aldi’s. I used it to sort laundry too! It is worth the money to buy one! I still use it pick up the dirty socks and underwear that somehow don’t make it into the laundry basket:)

Nicole C says:

That grabber thing is the best idea, I’ve got to get one. We’re headed from northern MS to Ontario in a couple of weeks with 3 small kiddos. Thanks for sharing!

Meagan says:

And that’s why I CHOOSE to drive :-) To avoid all of that!!!! Drive safe!

Jeanette says:

Enjoy that family when you get to CO. And make sure to keep driving, my mother-in-law slowly stopped driving and then was trapped from not doing. Good luck in you new town and home.

Hannah says:

Awesome idea! That little tool is quite handy : ) Good luck on the move.

Sheena says:

Glad your drive seems to be going well. You are so much better than me about taking pictures. I am kicking myself for taking so few pictures on our vacation last week. How are you entertaining the kids in the car? My kids are 5, 5 and 6. Last week we went to the beach which was a 4 1/2 hour drive and my kids were bored with the DVD player after about an hour even though I bought them a new movie before we left. I guess since they had seen the movie at school it wasn’t too new to them. Anyway, I bought some pipe cleaner at Hobby Lobby, divided it up so all three of them at the same amount and put it in ziplock bags. They played with it for hours on the ride home. To them it was like benderoos and they loved it. They have continued to play with them at home and they don’t have that waxy coat on them like benderoos do. Hope your last day of driving goes by quickly and safely!!

cahya says:

have a safe journey…

Heather says:

Hope you LOVE colorado as much as we do! If you’re in or near Parker, I’ve got some good places for you to check out!

Michelle says:

Agree with above… GENIUS! i’m always the passenger on our road trips (my husband doesn’t like it when i drive hah) but by the end of the trip my arm is sore from reaching behind. And when my 2-year-old and screaming because he dropped his car and i can’t reach it…. this would be a life saver!

Lynette says:

Oh I am so excited to try this arm thingy. I will have to keep it in mind once I have kiddos (maybe I’ll have to find a use for them beforehand!)

Stephanie says:

My hubby is our main driver on road trips – only switching when he’s tired. But, he learned the hard way that when he gets the chance to be the passenger, there’s NO resting – constant attention to the crowd in the back. We call that job the “Cruise Director”. I think my hubby much prefers to be the driver. The “Cruise Director” job might LOOK cushy, but it’s NOT. I’m thinking we’ll be needing one of those “arms.” When my kids drop something and ask me to get it, I sarcastically say, “Sure, I’ll just extend my ‘Gadget Arm’ and get that for ya’.” Well, now I actually CAN do just that. Oh, the service we “Cruise Directors” provide. Glad to hear your trip has been safe and uneventful so far.

joanna says:

bahaha, that grabber thing is so AWESOME!! Good luck on your move :)

that’s so cute!! What a family memory this trip will be for you!

Angie says:

I’m laughing my head off! The long-armed grabber thing is cracking me up! How smart though – I also just had a major ‘DUH’ moment!

Katelyn says:

That grabber arm is a PERFECT idea!

Jen says:

That grab arm is an AWESOME idea. I am usually the ‘passer’ as well on our long trips and it is often hard to reach dropped items in our van!

Breanna says:

Such a great idea! Just yesterday I chucked a water bottle to my son in the third seat of our suburban and thought… ‘there has to be a better way.’ Especially as it bounced off the seat and ended up on the floor where he couldn’t reach it anyway! So glad you are on your last day of driving!

Camille says:

Oh I wish I’d had one of these! We just moved back home to Idaho after living in South Carolina for a year! I’ve got a 2 and a 3 year old and I wish I’d known about these! I’m pretty sure we passed all those towns you are passing. Our drive took us 50 hours, because we were pulling a trailer! Hope your drive goes smoothly!

Shannon says:

That grabby hand thing is awesome. I’m totally getting one. Ingenious!

Jennifer says:

Genious! We just went on a little trip and had more than a few throwing things to the back seat problems. And I usually prefer to drive mostly because I don’t want to be the one that has to get everything.

Danae says:

Aaah! I wish you had suggested this last week! We just did our family vacation, 6 hours each way, and while I was fairly well prepared and the kids did pretty well with the drive, that grabber thing would have come in pretty handy and I desperately wish I had thought of it myself. You’re a smartie!

Yes, so excited you will be in Colorado! Welcome!

Jennifer says:

That is a great idea. You wouldn’t believe how many toys I retrieved from just one child on a trip from Ohio to Vermont. Ugh. I totally needed an arm grabber thingie.

Jessie says:

Genius with the arm grabber thing–we’re headed on a 13 hour drive tomorrow ourselves, and I will definitely be putting ours in the van (though I’m positive my husband will laugh at me, at least at first). :) Thanks so much, and happy traveling to us both!

Jen says:

love the arm grabber thing! We are a military family and my two kids (son is 3, daughter is 1.5, and one on the way) have already been across the entire country in a car, 3 times…plus countless other roadtrips and we are set to move again in a few weeks from the PNW to DC – fun! So that grabber will come in handy, along with all the other tips I’ve picked up :) And yes, driving as the passenger is definetly a full-time job. My husband always does all the driving and keeping those kids happy for long days at a time is exhausting! Happy and safe travels for the rest of your trip!

Maren M. says:

Oh. My. Goodness. I’m buying one of those grabber things for my car trips with the monkeys. Today. Genius!!

Heidi says:

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!! I think you should be nominated for the Pulitzer Peace Prize for Mom’s. Who would have thought of using that grabber thingy in the car for kids. I bow to your greatness and am thankful you shared this idea.

jenny says:

I LOVE the grabber thing!!! What an awesome idea! We could’ve totally used this on our trip a few weeks ago. I am buying one this week. :)
    Also, can anyone suggest some safe, family friendly areas/neighborhoods to live in CO-near/around the denver area or Colorado Springs? we are seriously praying about relocating to CO and have been looking at homes online but we are not at all familiar with the area. HELP!

Kim says:

We live in Colorado and it is great! Centennial or Highlands Ranch are great areas. If you have any questions I may be able to help! Good luck!

Zepequeña says:

Great trip!

Zepequeña.

tamela says:

hahaha love it! what a great idea!

Blakely says:

The “Grabber” is a wonderful invention. My family has used one for years. My grandmother had terrible arthritus so she used it all the time. My mom keeps one in her laundry room to get stuff that falls behind or besided the washer and dryer.

amelia says:

grabber thing= brilliant

Carol Dichmann says:

Genius on the extended stick!!!

Liz says:

Thanks for the tip! I have one of those extendo-arms and I will definitely be taking it on our car trip next month now! In fact, I think it would be handy to just have for daily use!

This is so brilliant! I can’t believe it! I am totally going to buy one of those grabbers ASAP!!!!

and yes, I completely agree, there are times when I’d rather drive because being passenger mommy is a full time exhausting job!

Catherine says:

Haha I love it. I am totally getting one. Just a question how do you feed a bottle to your little one while driving? I am always at a loss as to the best way to do this. But yay for Colorado Iam glad you are on the last day of your trip

AnnaPK says:

Love the grabber thingy idea!!! I am new to mini-vanning and I can see how that can be a sanity saver!

Your water tower pictures reminded of a very simple car game we used to play on trips. We called the water towers big pots and whoever saw one first would yell “big pot!” and we kept score of who yelled first. Pretty lame really, but simple enough even for little ones. :)

Kim in Idaho says:

That grabber arm thing is genius! Yeah for 1 more day!

Jen says:

So much fun! Hope you are staying safe. I love the grabber idea so does my husband, we have a cabin that we travel to often this guy will come in handy.

Morgan says:

I don’t live in Colorado anymore, but I remember the drive from GA to CO, and it is pretty uneventful and boring through Kansas. I started squealing when we saw our first prairie dog, though, because I’d never seen one, and in Denver they are really, really huuuuuge. I don’t live in CO anymore, I live in WY, now, but would be way excited to meet you (if you are in N. Colorado, lol.) Oh, and, I think this is my first comment, so: Hi ya! I’m Morgan, and I live in Wyoming. :)

Dorothy says:

I had a similar idea when we moved last month. My son has a plastic grabber hand and I made sure he had it within reach in the car. That way, he could use it to grab toys he dropped or anything like that. I never thought of using one for me, though.

I hope the last leg of the move goes smoothly. Best of luck.

Roz says:

Glad your trip is going well. I am loving your travel tips along the way and what great timing. We are off on a 7 hour road trip in a couple of weeks. My husband does the driving while I knit, pass snacks, pick fallen things up from the floor etc. etc. etc. I love your idea of putting the snacks in snap lock bags and also the grabber hand thingo, how clever are you! Drive safe tomorrow.

Melody says:

WOW! I just caught up on your posts and saw that you’re moving from GA to CO! I am a GA girl myself, but last year my hubby and I moved from KY to CO — with a 2 yr old, 1 yr old, and 1 month old! And everyone survived! :) We did take a road trip this spring from here all the way to Georgia (and I REALLY miss the peaches). It seems as if there are quite a few readers out here. We live in Centennial and really love the area. I will pray for the rest of your trip and the unpacking process.

Julie S says:

Why didn’t I think of that grabber thing? GENIUS! We are going on a long trip in July and will definitely be buying one of those suckers!

OMG that looks like a little of a nightmare w/ 3 kiddos! Ah! You are brave… good luck with the move… moving DOES suck! :)