Rounded & Embellished {Faux Leather} Zipper Pouches

A friend of mine had a birthday……and that gave me a good excuse to make her a little something.
Instead of making her a regular ‘ol zippered pouch (like my tutorial here), I made it rounded.  And with Faux Leather…….AKA, vinyl.  Ha.
If you remember my post here, I purchased a stack of this vinyl on the sale table at the fabric store.  Nice and inexpensive and can be used for many projects.  Like the hair accessories from that post.
But here’s a couple rounded pouch ideas using the vinyl…….
………but these pouches can be made with any sort of fabric.  Go on, experiment.
Both pouches are lined with a printed cotton fabric.
And adorned with a little label. (My label info here.)
Just think of what you could stuff these with.  You can carry them alone or toss in your purse to stay organized: makeup, pens, nail polish, jewelry, money, credit cards………or all of that together.
And if you are anything like me, you’d appreciate a pouch stuffed with treats.
(Good thing this friend of mine is a sugar junkie like I am.  Happy Birthday Val!)
Make one for you, a friend, or that neighbor down the street who could use a little handmade love.
Would you like to make your own rounded pouch?
**Remember, you don’t have to use vinyl…….any fabric would work just fine.

First decide on your fabric and prints.
Then begin by cutting out 2 outer pieces of fabric and two inner pieces of fabric of your pouch shape.
If you hate free-handing……..the pouch shape I used can be found here
(Just click on the image below the title “Rounded Zipper Pouch, save it to your computer, upload it into a document, change your margins to ’0′, and expand the image to full size.  Print and use.)

The rest of the pouch construction is just like the tutorial here.  So if you want to skip the bow or flower on the front, skip to this other tutorial.
But if you want to attach a little loveliness to the front, here’s how I did it:
To make the bow pouch, cut out a strip of your vinyl (or outer fabric) that is 6.5 x 9 inches and a little piece that is 1.5 x 3.5 inches.
The larger piece will be your main bow piece.  You will be folding under the top edge and the bottom edge until the meet in the back.  Set aside.
Fold the top edge and the bottom edge of the little strip towards the back too……..and hand stitch it closed.  (Need help with hand-stitching? Click here.)
Then cinch in the middle section of the bow piece and wrap this little strip (with the stitches towards the inside) around the center.  Stitch the center strip closed in the back.
Then lay the bow flat on the front pouch piece.  Stitch the bow edges right to the pouch, really close to the edge. (You don’t want these stitches to show after making the pouch.)  The trim off the extra edges.  Now you have your front piece for your pouch.
To make the flower pouch, cut a long strip of vinyl that is 3 x 35 inches.
Then fold this strip in half lengthwise (right side out) and sew together along the long edge.
Then pleat this fabric every inch or inch and a half.
Don’t worry about pinning and measuring…….you just need it to be pleated a bit so that you can circle the fabric around to make the flower shape.  (If you’re using a thin cotton as your flower, you could gather the fabric and circle it around in the flower shape……but this vinyl is too thick to gather.)
To do this the easy way, I began sewing along that same seam on the edge and would grab a chunk of fabric………
…..folded it over towards me……..
……..then helped it along as I sewed the little pleat in place.  Continue every 1 1/2 inches or so, until you pleat the whole strip.
Then lay the strip down in a circular shape to see how you’d like it.  (Don’t go all the way to any of the edges of the pouch because you still need a seam allowance to sew the pouch together.)
You can pin the strip down along the biggest circle of the flower, then sew in place, remove, pin the next circle, then sew again, etc………..or you can free hand it and just re-position and sew as you go.  But sew along the the seam of the strip and sew around in a circle from the outer ring of the circle, spiraling in towards the center.  (Make sure the overlap enough to hide the seams from the spiral below it.)
Stop when you have a short tail left or can’t go much more in the center.
Then tuck under the end and hand stitch it in place from below…..hiding your stitches.
Now you have the front piece ready for you pouch.
Now be sure to check out the zippered pouch tutorial here to put your pouches together the exact same way.
And enjoy your little rounded pouches.

Comments

45 Responses to “Rounded & Embellished {Faux Leather} Zipper Pouches”
    J A C Q U E L I N E says:

Seriously Ashley! This is super…Now maybe we need to have a nationwide craft night to make all these fab projects you have been showing us.

Christie @ A Lemon Squeezy Home says:

These are the CUTEST! I love them! Thanks for sharing!

CREATIVE MIND says:

super nice & wonderful pouches..anybody can follow this awesome tutorial & can enjoy this creation :)

Mama Duck says:

God has blessed the work of your hands. May He continue to bless you abundantly. Thank you for sharing your gift with us.

Mary Ellen says:

These pouches are so adorable- really- not just saying. I love the fabrics and having toffee in them make them irresistible!

bee blessed
    mary

**nicke... says:

those are very cute!

twbcountrygirl says:

Absolutely adorable! I want one, I don't know if I can make one, but I'm willing to give it a try. This will be a stretch for me, anything more than sewing a straight window panel or a Halloween costume is our of my league.
    Thanks!
    the wanna be country girl – Caroline

Amanda says:

My mind boggles at your talent and creativity. Thank you for sharing with the world.

Daisie Hanson says:

I love this idea! So fancy looking! Thank you!

Lynette @ My Craft Discovery says:

very cute. Ooh…that gave me an idea for a bigger bag. Would love it with that bow on it…hmmm.

Megan says:

Love, love, love! Especially the gold one with the bow

dannyscotland says:

These are awesome!!!!!!!!

bethanndodd says:

Just pinned on my Pinterest…love them!! Thanks for the tute :)

☼Carolina Artesanías☼ says:

*.:。✿ NICE!! ✿.。.:*
    C@ from Chile

Taylor {Sew Much Love} says:

Seriously adorable Ashley! Quick question, did you use a special needle in your machine for sewing on the vinyl?

theembellishednest says:

Those are so gorgeous! Thanks for the great tutorial!

Heather says:

Hi! I have enjoyed reading your blog. I am trying to get my blog up and running. Do you have any suggestions on the best way to do so? It has taken me years to get the confidence to discuss something so personal, but I feel it is the thing I should do… Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also here is a link to my blog if you would like to check it out…

Krista Marie says:

I can't believe you made these! They look fantastic. Great gift idea too. I envision nail polish and files in it.

becca says:

I now have the perfect mommy gift for the baby shower I'm throwing my sis for her 5th boy. I absolutely love the colors you pick for all your projects…what amazing taste you have. And can I just say that your tutorials are among the best in blogland with your clarity of instructions and quality of photos. Can you get any cooler?!

Jennifer says:

I made a square bag with the gathered flower for a friend's birthday yesterday! It was a big hit!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!

Megan says:

These are SO CUTE! You have the most amazing tutorials!

-Megan

vielka says:

Once again I'm left thinking "I wish I could sew!" These are so cool!

Elaine says:

I LOVE your site!!!!! I love to sew abd you give me great inspection. And your tutorials are easy to understand and Free! I just love tgat part. ♥ Elaine

Elaine says:

I Love your site!!!! I love to sew and you give me great inspection! I also love your tutorials! They are easy to understand and the best part FREE!! ♥ Elaine

Catherine says:

Amazing tutorial. Your techniques are wonderful. Thank you for sharing. I will definitely try this.

Mooshka says:

I’ve made my owm thanks to your explication.
    You can see it here:

Thanks for all !!!

Becky says:

Did you have to raise the presser foot as you sewed the flower in place? I ended up having to hand sew the whole thing because it go too bulky for my machine. Maybe I didn’t pleat well enough? It still looks good, but it took quite a while to do by hand. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks for all the fun projects!

Leanne says:

I love these pouches!!
    And thank you so much for the amazing tutorial!! I just wanted to let you know that I have included it in my last gift guide for this year: http://prairiesque.wordpress.com/2011/12/19/gift-guide-no-6-last-minute-do-it-yourself/
    I apologize for the very spammy nature of this comment, hehe…but it seemed like the best way to get in touch! Also, there are other tutorials featured in this guide, so perhaps whoever sees this will also discover some new skills!
    xoxo,
    Leanne

EARLINE says:

the pouce is lovely especially the gold with the bow.

Hi, i tried this out and it was amazing, instead of a zipper i added some ribbon straps. i’m giving it to a friend of mine as a giftbag. i think your blog is great, in my opinion one of the best of what i’ve seen- well done!

Ana Lopes says:

Hi Ashley !! Thanks for sharing this amazing tutorial !!! I love it so much that I’ ll try to make one round pouch with a rose!
    I love your blog .

I’ld like you to visit my recently blog :)

A hug from Lisbon-Portugal
    Ana Lopes

Love this!! says:

This is great, i had an old leather bag that my sister was about to throw away but then i stopped her and turned it into new! i used velcro instead but turned out just the same!

Katie says:

I never realized those cute little bows were so very easy! Thanks for these instructions :)

zineb says:

So wonderful that you distinctive Ashley

ilobelzo says:

Merci beaucoup pour le tuto de ces si jolis sacs je vais les faire sous forme de sac banana pour ma fille de huit ans. je cherchais quelque chose de beau pour lui faire plaisir. hé ben voili voilou c’est fait. Merci encore

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnks!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] faux leather zipper pouce by make it and love it [...]

2. [...] Mooshka et sa pochette à maquillage : « Je l’ai cousue moi même en utilisant ce tutoriel. J’ai aussi utilisé des explications prises dans un livre de couture (l’abc de la [...]

3. [...] and I’m here to share the fourth gift which was for my sister’s friend, Young. I found this darling tutorial over at Make It and Love It by Ashley. Both zipper pouch patterns were so cute but I chose to only [...]

4. [...] or handbags.  I have re-purposed old bags into other things many times (here, here, here, and here) and usually prefer to do so…..because there are more colors available.  Also, sewing with [...]

5. [...] The pattern is a combination of two projects I saw on Make it and Love it (the blog of a hugely creative lady over the pond). You can see her original how-to’s here and here. [...]

6. [...] elegantnoj torbici s mašnom sakrijte bombone kojima ne možete odoljeti. Pogledajte kako ju načiniti. Uvijek volite imati nešto slatko uz sebe, skrijte to u [...]

7. [...] bir renk deri uygun bir fermuar ile cep telefonu ve anahtarlarınız için yapabilirsiniz:) yapım aşamaları gül mü fiyonk mu:) 1 gül mü fiyonk mu:) [...]

8. [...] Sew, Mama, Sew!Scrappy Clutch by From An IglooGathered Clutch by NoodleheadFabric Clutch by MarthaRounded & Embellished Faux Leather Zipper Pouches by Make It and Love ItEasy Wrist Strap by Little Big Girl StudioRic Rac Clutch by Jennifer Ladd for [...]

9. […] by printing off the template, found with the Rounded Zipper Pouch […]