Aprons with heat transfer vinyl doodles {plus a Silhouette DISCOUNT CODE}

I love a quick project.
Especially one that can be used as a gift…….or even a little pick-me-up for myself. (I’m all over that!!)
Using the heat transfer vinyl with the Silhouette craft cutter is a quick dose of satisfaction.
Once you cut the vinyl, place it on some fabric, heat seal, then peel away the stiff backing…….the clean lines and pop of color never disappoint.
And my latest project with that little ‘ol craft cutter?
Sprucing up some plain aprons
($6 at walmart……a great solution to not having time to sew one up.)
I love the fact that you can put any ‘ol thing on the apron…….however, you have to explain to people (like husbands) why you chose the word “combine” instead of “stir”.
Well, because “combine” is so much more chef-y than “stir”.  Or something.
That’s the joy of making them yourself though.  You choose.
And do you see those cute little images??
No, I didn’t buy them in the Silhouette shop.  They are the doodles that were transformed by Amanda (from Kevin & Amanda here) from Sara’s handwriting font (from Our Best Bites here).  Amanda turned the handwriting from 11 different bloggers into actual fonts, to help raise money for the tornado victims in Alabama. (You can check out my post about my handwriting turned into a font, here.  Ha, good times.) My handwriting, well, not my favorite……but Sara’s was darling……and she included some super cute food related doodles.

And they import into your Silhouette program perfectly.  If you decide to replicate this idea……consider donating to the Alabama relief as you grab the collection of free fonts.  (fonts/doodles and donation info found here.)

Anyway, I love that you can use your own fonts with the Silhouette, making it possible to use these darling little doodles on these aprons.  Love them both.  (And I love your doodles, Sara!)
**Letter font used is Century Gothic.
I also used the heat transfer on the following projects:
Click on the images to see the tutorials and more instructions on using the heat transfer vinyl……..and a tutorial on making your own apron, rather than buying one.
And if you need a reminder about what else the Silhouette can do, click on any of the projects listed below:
Such a fun little crafting tool.  Worth it’s weight in gold. (Though, it’s not very heavy…..but you know what I mean. Ha.)
If you have been wanting one of these machines, Silhouette is offering a fabulous discount bundle for Make It and Love It readers until May 25th.
They are offering the Silhouette machine and 3 rolls of heat transfer vinyl……..all for $219. (savings of over $125)
Find the bundle here and enter the code “makeit” at checkout.
Deal ends May 25th, 2011.
This is what you’ll receive:
  • Silhouette machine
  • Software for Windows XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X 10.5.8 and higher
  • Power cable, USB cable
  • 2 Cutting mats (one for thick media, one for thin media)
  • Cutting blade
  • $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
  • 3 rolls of heat transfer vinyl
rolls of .
Wow…..that’s a lot of goodness!!
Click here to order the whole bundle and then,
at checkout, use code: ‘makeit’
(discount lasts until May 25th, 2011)
Also, if you already have a Silhouette, all of the heat transfer vinyl is25%. Lots of lovely colors.
Click here, or the image below, to purchase your rhinestone supplies.

Filed under Featured, Miscellaneous, No Sew, Sewing, Silhouette Craft Cutter, Women's Clothing

Comments

28 Responses to “Aprons with heat transfer vinyl doodles {plus a Silhouette DISCOUNT CODE}”
    Natalie says:

Looks fun! I think you should do a tutorial to make a cute cover for your Kitchenaid. Unless you already did one and I missed it?

colorfulpurls says:

Wow! The aprons look like they came from an indie gift shop. What a great gift idea, thanks :)

Sara @ Our Best Bites says:

I LOVE THESE!! It seriously makes me giddy to see my little doodles on something so awesome. You're amazing!

Maria says:

SO FUN!!!

StephanieCherrise says:

This is a truly wonderful idea! If only I could afford such a beauty at this time. Someday… I'll be rocking everything handmade.

Tiaras & Bow Ties says:

They look great! Gotta luv those husbands…mine says stuff like that all the time.

the nayz says:

So cute. What a great gift idea!!

Lynn from For Love or Funny says:

You never fail to inspire me. Please move into the house next door and be my neighbor!

Jen says:

Ahhhhh I tried to get the Silhouette with the discount and it wouldn't take the price off! :( Wanted one so bad. E-mailed Silhouette and hopefully they will help me out.

Giovanna says:

Love the cute project using the fonts. I have been having problems with my Silhouette and the heat transfer. It cuts right through the back even at the suggested settings. What settings are you using? Thanks in advance.

Hmmmm……off the top of my head, I think I don’t generally mess with the settings…..and it has worked for me. You’re not sticking to one of the mats are you? (You don’t need to) And the shiny side is down? I guess there could be an issue with the blade? I would definitely contact Silhouette and see if maybe it’s a problem with the blade or something. You definitely shouldn’t be cutting through the mat……..so I bet they would help you troubleshoot that and maybe send out a new blade. Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Rachel says:

Mine does that too. It generally doesn’t cause me any problems though. The problem I am having is some of the heat transfer not sticking. I hold the hot iron on it for at least a minute and still some of the pieces just don’t want to stick! I wish Silhouette had a place to ask questions. I’ve posted on their facebook page a few times but no response. :(

Claire says:

Bought the Silhouette with this discount code, they forgot my gift card, software, instruction manual and the machine was a lemon, plugged it in and got an error code right off the bat. And when I called, they wanted me to send it back Fedex ground. So I had to drag my two babies to the Fedex store and spend an hour getting it sent back. Was I offered anything as a consolation for having a long weekend with no Silhouette? Nope. What a bummer. I just wanted you to know this is the company you’re endorsing…

Oh wow, that really is a shame. I am surprised you got such a bad deal all around. And even more surprised they didn’t make it up to you. And believe me, I do not enjoy taking my kids to the post office (no shopping carts…eeek), so I agree, that made everything else worse. Are they planning on sending you a new one? I really hope so, because I have really enjoyed using mine…..it really does so much. I am really sorry that happened……and hope that if you’re getting a new one, that it works great for you. Best of luck! Ashley

Claire says:

They are sending a new one, but I really hoped they would make up for my time with a gift card or roll of vinyl or SOMEthing. I actually cried when it didn’t work! Not just cried, bawled. I had the whole long weekend ahead and I bought a bunch of supplies and I was so excited because I never buy anything like this for myself. I hope it works too. I love your blog, sorry for the vent.

Oh my gosh, yes, I totally get that. I would have been so disappointed too….especially because you invested money in it. Remember when you get it, to test out the settings and play around with the different blades. Hopefully it will be error-free……and you will be able to dress up your house your clothes, the kids clothes, and a bunch of new items for gifts. :)

Amber says:

How did you import these into silhouette? I’m still trying to get used to my machine and I went through the manual and I’m just not able to find it!! Thank you!!

Once you download the fonts onto your computer (use the directions from the Kevin and Amanda site), they will be there in your font section, as well as all of the other fonts on your computer. So, nothing special needs to be done……just keep scrolling until you see the font listed when you are trying to add text to a project.

Hope that helps!

Jill says:

Hello AShley! I love this tutorial, but would you mind to give me some pointers on how to do heat transfer if I do not have a Silhouette machine? I am wondering the best kind of applique/materials to use to get something that is going to stay put through a washing machine as well. I have tried several different things and nothing has worked for me yet. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!!

Michelle says:

I LOVE your whisk.flatten.combine. apron. Would you consider selling another?

Mindy says:

The glass etching. I love it!

LaDonna says:

LOVE your aprons. I am wondering though, is the heat transfer machine washable?

lidia gutierrez says:

cuanto es en pesos mexicanos me interesa se podra que yo la tenga o en guadalajara jal un lugar donde la pueda comprar grasias