BABIES NEED THEIR EXERCISE: How To Create An Animated Image

I’ve had a little extra “love” hanging on after I had my little baby girl in March.
(Yeah, I claim I was just giving her a little extra padding to lounge around in.  I’d do anything for my kids, you know. Ha.)
So I’ve been doing more exercising lately and the kiddos have noticed.
This little missy likes to kick and punch with me while I burn calories with my kickboxing DVDs.  She’s hops around right along with me, flailing her arms, legs, and torso…….watch out!
And this crazy monkey likes to call any sort of physical exertion his exercises.  He throws something in the garbage?  Exercise. He puts his shoes away?  Exercise. He crawls on one knee with the other leg dragging behind him because he hurt his foot and won’t walk on it?  Exercise. True story.
And this baby girl of ours even does her exercises too.
(Click play on the video below, turn up your volume, and enlarge the youtube screen if you want to see it nice and big!)

Haha……..we start ‘em young. :)

Thanks for letting us show everyone your moves, Baby Girl!

. . .
That video was created in Windows Movie Maker so that I could add music.  But if you’d like to create a plain ‘ol animated picture……..I’ll show you.  Well, using Photoshop CS4.  If you have other versions of Photoshop, maybe this will give you a general idea how to animate your images. (I know, it’s been a few months since many asked about my last animated image……sorry.)

But is there another way to animate images for you without photoshop?  I have no idea.  (If you know, leave me a comment……I’m sure there are others who would like to know.)
Anyway, by animated image…….I’m talking about making a picture, where several slides of pictures rotate one after the other.
So start by creating a new project in photoshop.  I made mine 400×600 pixels.
Then, click on “windows”, then “animation”:
Then click on that little icon at the bottom of the screen to switch your project to “frame animation”.
Next, open up all the pictures you’d like in your animation.  Then put them into this new project, all in their separate layer.
Then at the bottom in the animation area,  click on that little square icon to add enough frame boxes to your animation.  I had 6 pictures to use, so I added 6 frames.
Then, click on the first animation box at the bottom and then make sure that the only layer that’s showing up in this animation box, is the first image you want to show.  (To hide the other layers, click on the little ‘eye’ to the left of the layer.  If there is no ‘eye’, then it won’t show up in that screen.)
Then click on the second animation box, and then make sure the ‘eye’ is only showing for the next image you want to show up for the second animation slide.
Continue until all your animation boxes have their own image in them.  Then click on the time button below each image in the animation section.  This will allow you to choose how long each frame will show in the animation.  I chose .3 seconds originally, but then changed to .4 later.  Also be sure that the button below the images says “forever”…….meaning that it will repeat the frames continuously.  Press “play” (the triangle) below the little pictures to see if it’s how you’d like it.
Time to save.
Click on “file”, then “save for web and devices”.
A large screen will appear where you can adjust settings and such.  Make sure that the file is in GIF format, then click “save”.
Upload your GIF file to a picture directory that you like (I use photobucket.com) and then grab the html code and add it to your post.
Then post your animated image.  And laugh if it’s of a 2 month old wiggly baby……doing her thing!
Enjoy.

Comments

38 Responses to “BABIES NEED THEIR EXERCISE: How To Create An Animated Image”
    Steph says:

too cute!!!! can't wait to try this out!!! lol!!!

Heidi says:

You KILL me!!!

But totally need to do a video of my little guy while he is still little and adorable!

Connie the crafterbug says:

wow. This makes me want a baby! She is adorable!
    Connie

Kristen516 says:

Makes me want ANOTHER baby too!

Sara says:

That video cracks me up! You are so funny!

Yelena's Nest says:

She is such a cutie! I love the video! I think I'll give it a try.. I think my boys would love it!

Courtenay says:

uhhhh this is SO clever! And hilarious! AND CUTE!!! SOOOOOOOO CUTE!!! I am loving it!

Kirsten says:

AH, love it! So stinkin' cute! You are too clever!

Conny's Cottage says:

Soo sooo cut….

I love it….

Conny

Popbabe7 says:

That's cute! Personally I use Photoscape to make animated pics and gifs. Really easy to use and it's free!

Joy says:

nice! very informative! I always wondered!

Jessica says:

How adorable! I see those same exact moves with my three month old little boy!

Emily S says:

So funny :)

Emily

Richelle says:

super fun and adorable. You are amazing.

Chef in Training says:

I absolutely LOVE your work! You are really what inspired me to learn how to sew! The cute outfits and accessories you make for yourself and your kids are AMAZING! I linked you to my blog for the the versatile blogger award.

Katie O says:

Yeah, with the others–this makes them want another baby. Your lil angel is ADORABLE! LOVE those baby moves! You've gotta help us resist—make a video of her wide awake at 2:30 A.M., PLEASE, hurry!!!

Catherine and Derrick says:

Haha I love it she is so cute. I esspecially love the picture of her big grin at the end.

Tiffany says:

So cute! I have been wanting to know how to do this, thanks!!

Jessica :) says:

A-DORABLE! My nine month old loves the animated picture. She just keeps giggling and giggling. So fun! Thanks for sharing!

Rand and Carolyn says:

That is the funniest thing ever! She is precious :)

Teegan says:

Absolutely ADORABLE! I am excited to try it out! :) Sooo… on a detail side note… did you make those perfect little carseat strap cushions?!?!?! Hmmm… tutorial?? In L.O.V.E. with your blog- THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Elizabeth says:

Yes I love making little animated GIFs!!! So fun and my kids usually love them better then the "real" movies I take of them!! I edit all my stuff with Photoshop Elements and it's a bit different to make an animated GIF in that program. I posted the way I make mine on my blog, so if you get anyone asking you for the instructions for PSE's feel free to send them over!!!

Love reading your blog!!! Keep the creativity coming!!! *lol*

Britta says:

That was so cute! My kids and I enjoy making animated pictures on occasion.

fuzzysmom says:

So adorable!
    and informative to boot ;)

The DeGiulio's says:

How cool!

Annie says:

Hilarious! So glad to know we aren't the only goons doing things like this with our children!

Kristen Duke Photography says:

Great tutorial! I need to upgrade my photoshop for this…maybe a good reason to;)

: ) Paula says:

We're Not Worthy!!!

Amanda says:

No Way, No Way Thanks you so much for sharing I have been tring to figure out how to do this for months!!! Thank you, Thank you!

Megan says:

I just made one of these because I was trying to capture movement as Oliver was dancing. I have CS5, and at the upper right of the gray bar that says "Animation (Frames)" I clicked the little drop down arrow and there was an option to "Make Frames from Layers", which was a lot easier than your way with so many pictures. I'm not sure if that option is in CS4 though.

I posted it here if you are interested in seeing it:

Thanks for the tutorial!

sewsassy1 says:

That is way too much fun. I'm doing that on my next rainy day. Not the kicking part, but making an animated picture. lol IDK I might kick. I like your blog, I have one too, but apparently I like reading others more than doing and sharing. AAAA+++

Sophie Slim says:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! Its so easy to understand! I have just made mine and posted it on my blog – next time i’ll take photos specifically for it so the subject doesn’t jump around everywhere :)

x

ha ha! cool!

Dheeraj says:

In the Photoshop CS6 the animation replaced by Timeline.

Please update it so other know it. before frustrating.

Shannon says:

What a great post! I had been wondering how do animate an image. Thank you for posting this!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] BABIES NEED THEIR EXERCISE: How To Create An Animated Image | Make … Yes I love making little animated GIFs So fun and my kids usually love them better then the "real" movies I take of them! I edit all my stuff with Photoshop Elements and it's a bit different to make an animated GIF [...]

2. [...] so you can see, the double needle stitch allows for a bit of stretch. (Animated image tutorial here.) Isn’t that double needle fantastic? I will be using my double needle more [...]

3. [...] (This view is from the back side, to show the zig-zag stretching.) (Animated image tutorial here.)         So don’t feel left out if you have an older machine or a more basic machine, [...]