Rhinestone Applique {plus a Silhouette Craft Cutter DISCOUNT CODE}

Did you know that you could use the Silhouette Craft Cutter to apply rhinestones??
I know, weird.  I couldn’t wrap my head around that concept either.
But, go on, just add it to the long list of things this monster machine can do.
(I know, it gives you one more reason to add this to your  mother’s day, birthday, anniversary list…..doesn’t it?  And good thing there is a big discount going on until April 26th.  Scroll down to see the deal and promo code!)
And you know, you can add these sparkly little rhinestones to anything.  Bags, pillows, belts, hand towels, hair accessories, etc.  They are machine washable and don’t budge after applying them.
No need to glue down individual rhinestones with tweezers.  Check this out:
All I did was select a rhinestone template from the Silhouette Online Store (only $0.99), and then cut it out on the special rhinestone template material.  I placed it right into the machine and it cut out this little birdie image……..as a bunch of small circles.  I peeled the blue layer (which is sticky on the back) off of the backing…..
……..and then placed it on the backing board.
Then I dumped out some rhinestones, used the brush to swirl them around until they fell into their holes for the outline…..
……and then used the pick-me-up tool (it has a sticky tip) to grab any stragglers and put them in their place.
Then I did the same thing for the center birdie.
Here’s all of the rhinestones in their right spots.
Then I cut out a piece of transfer tape, placed it on top of the rhinestones, and then pressed down with my fingers.
Next, I peeled up the transfer tape.  You can see that all of the rhinestones stick to the tape and stay right where they need to be.
Then, I placed the rhinestones/tape right onto a shirt.  Then I placed a thin cloth over top and ironed for about 60 seconds. (Each of the little rhinestones have adhesive on the back, that sticks once it’s warmed up under the iron.  Make sure to keep the iron on it long enough, let it cool…….and those little rhinestones aren’t going anywhere!)
I let it cool, peeled off the transfer tape, placed the cloth down and ironed one more time……..
……….and that was it.
Pretty easy.  And very satisfying.
Don’t you love everything this Silhouette can do?
So do I.  And I never tire of using it.
. . . . .
And lucky you…….if you have been wanting one of these machines, Silhouette is offering a fabulous discount bundle for Make It and Love It readers.
They are offering the Silhouette machine, a rhinestone starter kit, 3 additional packs of rhinestones, and 1 pick-me-up tool……..all for $229. (savings of $125)
Find the bundle here and enter the code “makeit” at checkout.
Deal ends April 26th, 2011.

This is what you’ll receive:
  • Silhouette machine
  • Software for Windows XP/Vista/7 and Mac OS X 10.5.8 and higher
  • Power cable, USB cable
  • 2 Cutting mats (one for thick media, one for thin media)
  • Cutting blade
  • $10 gift card to the Silhouette Online Store
  • Rhinestone starter kit ( 2 sheets of rhinestone template material, 2 sheets of rhinestone transfer tape, 2 rhinestone backing boards, 1 rhinestone placement brush, 1 CD of rhinestone images, 1 pack of clear 10ss rhinestones, 1 pack of clear 16ss rhinestones, 1 pack of clear 20ss rhinestones, and 1 pack of pink 10ss rhinestones.)
  • Pick-me-up tool
  • 3 additional packs of rhinestones

Wow…..that’s a lot of goodness!!

Click here to order the whole bundle and then,
at checkout, use code: ‘makeit’
(discount lasts until April 26th, 2011)

Also, if you already have a Silhouette, all of the rhinestone materials are 30% off.  Any and all of them.

Click here, or the image below, to purchase your rhinestone supplies.

And just in case you haven’t seen some of the projects that this little Silhouette Craft Cutter can do, here are some of my past projects that I have used it for.
Glass etching, found here.
Vinyl on electronics, found here.
Vinyl on walls framed with empty frames, found here.
Pouches with personalized iron-on and freezer paper stenciling, found here.
Heat transfer on clothing, found here.

Freezer Paper stenciling, found here.

Comments

20 Responses to “Rhinestone Applique {plus a Silhouette Craft Cutter DISCOUNT CODE}”
    Alaina says:

Wow! Who knew? I've been wanting one! I didn't realize they now work with Mac OS! :) That deal is hard to resist too! Thanks so much!

Brenda says:

I know thia sounds like a dumb questions, but what makes the rhinestones stick to the fabric? I love what this machine can do, tell me to order it. LOL

Ooooh, good question Brenda. I'll go and add that to the tutorial. There is adhesive on the back of each rhinestone that sticks once it's warmed up under the iron. Once it's heated up nice and hot (for about a minute), those little suckers aren't going anywhere. :)

Hope that helps!

Katy says:

Now I'm really confused lol I was going to purchase a Cricut, now I don't know if I should get that or the Silhouette. Help me make up my mind!!! Please! LOL

missy says:

I've had a commercial-grade vinyl cutter for the past 6 years and I love it. However, after seeing what the silhouette can do, I've thought that if anything happened to my machine, I'd replace it with a silhouette. (I haven't looked into the cricut much, but a few friends have one and it seems they are often frustrated by the expense of cartridges or other limitations.) I'm loving the rhinestones!

tyre machines says:

Wow, I absolutely love this art. Thank you for sharing the steps one by one.

Colette says:

such a cute idea! wish I had one!

The Wade's says:

Silhouette is the way to go!! SOOO much more versatile than the Cricut, in my opinion. I LOOOOVE mine!! This is a great deal though so anyone wants to buy it- now's the time!

Leha says:

Awesome Deal! I'm at sihouetteamerica.com and when you select the bundle, not everything you have listed that comes with it is listed on their site. Just wondering if you still get the $10. gift card to the online store? It is still a great deal either way and I have been wanting one since I saw your tutorial using it for the glass etching. Thanks so much for sharing!

bethanndodd says:

LOVE my Silhouetter! Wonder if there is a way to upload my own image and make into a rhinestone template….hmmmm
    Hope you have a blessed holiday!

Wendy says:

Thank you for spelling it all out. I was wandering the if in this amazing deal the cutting mats were included. The other bloggers that are talking about this offer are not mentioning that bit of inportant info. Thanks!I will telling my hubby about this offer for sure. He is been wanting to get a Silhouette for me. I am glad I told him to wait. This a great deal.

I will double check with to see exactly what comes in the bundle. I apologize if I listed it wrong but I'm pretty positive that's what comes with it. I'll post here when I find out from Silhouette.

Celeste says:

I just ordered one and I am SO excited.

When you see the items listed in the Silhouette rhinestone package, it doesn't list the mats and $10 card, but if you look to the right in the blue box and click on the SD machine, it tells you what comes with it. You'll see that they are listed there.

Brenda says:

Thank you for answering my question. I really hae to make up my mind now. :) Happy Easter. God Bless You.

Erin says:

all these silhouette posts really make me want one. there's so much to do with it, and you're so great at providing all of the ideas to us!

melliepetunia says:

Ooh ooh – I'm loving this one! I can't wait! I'm asking for one for Mother's Day! Yippee!

Thanks Celeste!

And yes, everything I listed is what's actually included. You'll get it all! :)

Tiffany says:

So I have a new baby girl on the way and would love to do something like this. I can never find inexpensive plain cute onsies like yours. Where did you get it?

The Childers Family says:

I just bought my Silhoutte and I just wanted to let anyone else out there who is on the fence (seeing as today is the last day of the sale) that for some reason they are giving an extra $20 off!! So for the rhinestone bundle, is it only $209 plus shipping!! SOOOO excited :)

Plumbing says:

The creative design was really impressive. Thanks for sharing this post.