Diaper Covers with Ruffle Fabric

Looking for the Knitted Monster Pattern Book giveaway?  Scroll down or click here.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . .
There’s something I forgot about newborns.
That sometimes you can change those rascally little bums 6 times in one hour.  You think they have for sure emptied out their little newborn systems, so you freshen them up, put on a new and fresh scented diaper and then……….uggghh, you hear them grunt out some more.  Repeat 5 more times in the next 59 minutes.  So unpredictable.
There’s another thing I forgot about newborns.  (Well, girl newborns.) How much I love covering those unpredictable little bums in a diaper cover.  Love it.  Times 10.
And then I don’t mind changing it 6 times in one hour.
Remember how I showed you how I created a simple little diaper cover pattern from a diaper cover we already had?
If not, click the image below to see the tutorial.
Well, since making diaper covers is a very forgiving project, I enjoy making them often.  (Just remember, if those lines aren’t perfect and if there’s a pucker or two…..once the elastic is in, you won’t ever notice.)
I had some ruffle fabric on hand (from the Ruffle Fabric shop)  and decided to use it on the diaper covers.  I knew it would save me from making my own ruffles.  Perfect.
Such great ruffled texture for the whole diaper cover.
And it’s such a soft fabric………perfect for those chubby soft legs.
And adds some great ruffles……right where you need them.
Again, I made them just like the diaper cover tutorial that I linked to above…….waistband casing and all.  (If you end up making a diaper cover out of the ruffle fabric, I just folded over one of the ruffle rows over and sewed the casing just like normal.  Don’t worry how the row of ruffles ends up looking from the inside, just try to keep the ruffles straight on the outside.  Sew slowly.  Same with the leg openings.)
Little bums don’t stay little forever……so I enjoy covering them with ruffles while I can.
Felt flower was made using this tutorial.

**Good luck making one, two, or ten of your own diaper covers.
(The fabric I used is the Grey Mini Ruffle, found here and the Ivory Mini Ruffle, found here.)
Remember, I also used Ruffle Fabric
back when I turned a t-shirt into this Ruffle Dress, found here.

Filed under Baby, Clothing, Sewing

Comments

57 Responses to “Diaper Covers with Ruffle Fabric”
    Fernanda says:

That is really pretty…I can't wait until I have a little girl so I can make something like that {I don't think that my little boy will appreciated it if I made it for him, lol}…and your little girl is so cute! I think that she looks a little like your older girl…you can see the resemblance!

Donya says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE ruffle fabric. I am using tons of t for my new baby girl coming in June. Great idea with the diaper cover. Beautiful baby too!

Denise says:

How fantastic! As soon as my husband comes home, I'm off to find ruffle fabric to whip some of these up!! Thank you.

Alexis says:

Ohmygosh, ohmygosh, ohmygosh, LOVE!!! Somebody in my world seriously needs to have a baby girl.

Not sure, though, if it's the diaper cover or your little model that's so cute. :)

Taylor {Sew Much Love} says:

That is SUPER adorable! I love that ruffle fabric for diaper covers!

Katie Johnson says:

How do you attach those cute flowers to her head??

To attach the flowers to her head, I have used KY Jelly and Elmer's glue. Both work but I like Elmer's glue better (just a little dot and it peels right off)….even though some think that's crazy!! :)

Amanda (Stitch To Stitch) says:

Too cute! With a 3mos old baby girl and a huge order of ruffle fabric on the way, this tutorial came at the perfect time.

Thanks!

kpmattingly says:

Love this! Great idea!

POPPY SEED FABRICS says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE THESE! I have by dyeing to buy some ruffle fabric it's just so fun! thanks for sharing…

Ashley W says:

Your baby girl is pretty much the sweetest thing ever!

Jamie says:

A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E!!!!

Debbie B says:

that is seriously so adorable. Can not believe it. I have to order some of this ruffle fabric you keep talking about. :)

rebekah says:

I love the ruffled fabric! Will have to try that… I did a few with the ruffles sewn into the side seams… come take a look @ http://justfordaisy.blogspot.com/2011/04/ruffled-bloomers.html

Thanks again for your great pattern advice! :)

whiterabbit says:

oh so adorable! might have to have another baby just so i can make these… :D miss those chubba thighs.

Clarissa says:

O MY GOSH these are SO cute!!! She just makes me REALLY want to have my own little girl so she can have a ruffley little bum!!

shantel says:

Laughing over your comment "little bums don't stay little forever" Because I totally imagined what "my" bum would look like with ruffles on, ROFL!!!!

The Childs says:

You have an adorable baby! She is too cute.

Beth says:

Ack, that ruffle diaper is too stinking adorable! I will have to check out your diaper cover tute as well, it looks like a very quick & satisfying project!

potusmama says:

I will say it again and again how SUPER WONDERFUL YOU ARE! Thanks for more fun stuff to make!!

lawyers says:

Somebody in my world seriously needs to have a baby girl.

Lakeside Sewing says:

Love this idea! Thanks for sharing! I just scored some blue/green for 5.00 a yard at my joanns. It was in their clearance section for 10.00/yd and all red tag fabric is 50% off right now! Whoo hooo!

Holli says:

My daughter (she's 3) got so excited when she saw your diaper covers, she likes them. She also thinks your baby is super cute.

Lisanne says:

Yay, diaper covers, I am going to try my hand at making one for my pal who's got a little girl – Thank you xx

Sharde says:

oh sooo cute!

thestyleprojects.blogspot.com

Cris Rosa says:

Sua princesinha está linda!
    Parabéns pelos belos trabalhos!
    Bjkas

Maryse says:

Wonderful… the grand baby must have some of theses in lots of colors!

Geeky Sweetheart says:

HAHA awesome, I love this so much, I hope you dont mind but I linked to this tutorial on my baby blog TeensyGeek: http://teensygeek.wordpress.com/2011/04/17/sunday-squee-ruffle-bum/ I just think baby bum+ruffles=WIN :-)

Kristina says:

Goodness gracious, that baby girl is so cute!

Hollie says:

How CUTE are those? I just had my baby 3 months ago…but alas, he's a boy. No ruffled butts for me. But I am going to bookmark that ruffle fabric and hope someone, anyone I know has a girl ->soon!<- :)

Karen says:

Ohmigosh! She is changing so fast…precious baby!!! Cute project- they always are!

blissfullyus says:

Just curious, but how do you get those bows to stay in your munchkin's hair??? I have a baldy myself, and yours always looks so adorable!

tina says:

I love the ruffled fabric. I can't find it anywhere, where do you find it?

Quilter Mom of 2 says:

I love how that felt flower matches your babies eyes exactly!!

Linsie says:

LOVEIT!!!! I have lots of ruffly projects going on. :) I found some ruffled fabric at hobby lobby.

Kimberly says:

Do you think you could line these wit PUL and make them into cloth diaper covers?

Cindy Bates says:

The ruffled diaper covers are adorable, too bad I only have a boy baby I I guess one pair just fun won’t matter…LOL!

Not only can they be used as diaper covers but my little girl is 4 and I make her panty covers because she is a tomboy who loves to wear dresses and skirts

Helen bishop says:

2 little grand daughters won’t look so cute in your ruffel dresses

tiffany says:

I have been to at least a have dozen weddings in the last 5 years and have seen diapers on not just the real little flower girls,but older ones as well up to age ten or so.most of them had a disposable diaper covered with rubber pants and then had a ruffled diaper cover over them,I thought they all looked very cute and adorable under their dresses and when i got married last year,my two flower girls,ages 7 and 9 each wore a cloth diaper with ruffled rubber pants over it.the rubber pants were white and had white ruffles across the back with a pink bow in the middle of the ruffles.their moms did the diaper and ruffled rubber pants and told me before hand they would be wearing them.

tammy says:

Tiffany,my 10 year old daughter made her first holy communion last may and i did the cloth diaper and ruffled rubber pants under her communion dress.i sewed baby cloth diapers together to make one diaper out of them,then got a pair of white,youth size rubber pants and sewed six rows of ruffles across the back with a white bow in the middle.she wore a cute poofy communion dress with the matching veil,lace anklets and white mary janes.the diaper and ruffled rubberpants looked adorable under her dress.

hannah says:

We finially baptized our 14 year old daughter last year at easter vigil and she wore the traditional white,poofy,above the knees baptism dress with a matching bonnet,lace anklets and white mary jane shoes.She wore a size 7 pampers diaper with white ,ruffled,plastic pants as her diaper cover over the pampers.they looked adorable on her.most of the girls baptized wore the ruffled plastic pants over their diaper also.

Carole says:

Last year we adopted a 12 year old daughter from foster care and then baptized her two months after we got her as an infant in the infant baptism program at our parish.We dressed her as an infant in a white,below the knees gown with a matching bonnet,lace anklets and white,patent leather shoes.I made her a cloth diaper from sewing 10 of the gerber cloth diapers together to make one diaper out of them and pinned it on her with pink diaper pins.I got her white teen size rubber pants and had ruffles sewn acroos the back that she wore over the diaper.her top was a plain white tee shirt.She looked very cute and infant like for her baptism.she is now 13 and just going thru puberty and i still have her wear the diaper and ruffled rubber pants for holidays and special occasions.she is going to wear them under her cute easter dress on easter sunday.she will make her First holy communion next year when she is 14 and is going to wear the diaper and ruffled rubberpants under her communion dress as well.