Crushed Fabric Flower……..as an Accessory

I love a good flower accessory. You all know that by now.
And a few days ago, I made a certain little white dress for a certain occassion for our newest baby girl (more on that tomorrow……the tutorial isn’t quite done yet).  And of course, I needed to stay up late to make her some matching shoes and headband the night before.  Because that’s what sleep-deprived-mother’s-to-newborns do…….stay up late to make shoes and headbands.  Right?  (I told my husband this was true…..so vouch for me.  Okay?)

{Update: Blessing/Confirmation Dress tutorial here.}

So I needed a little something extra to put on those shoes and headband.

These little crushed flowers have great dimension.  And really add great charm to anything.  So I just had to give them their own little tutorial.
The flowers worked perfectly on these little white shoes.
Have you made your own pair of Abigail Booties?  The pattern is in my shop here, if you’d like to give them a try.
And even more precious on those little tootsies.
And a little girl in a dress, isn’t quite complete without a little something in her hair.
So I made a little crushed flower and put in on a headband.  [I used the fold over elastic that I talked about in this post.  It's super soft.  But I just cut it right down the middle to make it more narrow.  I like it better.  No, it didn't unravel. :) ]
Nice and lovely on those soft little newborn heads.
Would you like to create your own crushed fabric flowers?
Now remember, these can be made with any type of fabric.  I used satin but have made them with woven cotton too.  Just as adorable.
First, start with a narrow strip of fabric.  I started with a strip that was 1 1/4 inch wide and about 15 inches long.  (How wide or narrow you make the strip will change the look of your flower.  Change it up and experiment with it.  You make like it better a little different.)
Fold the strip in half lengthwise and sew it into a tube, with the right side of the fabric facing out.  Use a zig-zag stitch or serge it.
Then sew a basting stitch right next to your zig-zag or serged edge and then slightly gather your strip.  (Need help with gathering?  Click here.)
Then, grab one end of the tube and fold the very end over (towards the serged edge) and stitch in place.  (This will just help hide the very end of the your fabric so that it doesn’t show from the front of the flower.)
Then, start loosely rolling up the strip of fabric……..and make a few stitches on the bottom of the flower to hold the rolled flower in place.  Then roll another time or two and then make a few more stitches.
Keep rolling and stitching……and you’ll see a flower taking shape.
Once you reach the end of your strip of fabric, tuck the very end under, towards the bottom of the flower.  Stitch in place.
Then flip over your flower and place a hot iron over the top and crush the flower flat.  Use steam (depending on fabric) and press down firmly.  Depending on you you squash it, you can create all sorts of different looks.  Try mashing all of the petals down to one side…….or squash the petals straight down……….or half and half.
And then make several more.
And now you have a fun new fabric flower, with a fun quirky look to it………that you can use on all sorts of projects.
Make them big and make them small.
And have fun with it.
. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Comments

32 Responses to “Crushed Fabric Flower……..as an Accessory”
    Emily says:

very cute, would love to embellish some of my shirts with this look :)

Heather says:

LOVE IT! I've been looking for a tutorial on fabric flowers for my daughters Easter dresses… cut out, not quite sewn yet! AH! So thank you! This is perfect and exactly what I was looking for!

Linda Chapman says:

You are such a clever lady!! Doing all that creativity on so little sleep! I love the flowers and intend to make some little headbands to have on hand as gifts. Thanks for the great idea and easy instructions!

Makenzie says:

I want to make a big one and do 3D flower art with it! I cant wait to make my little ones all this cute stuff!

Fernanda says:

Hello Ashley,
    I wish you a good week.
    Kisses.

BECKY says:

can;t wait to see the dress!

Jana says:

thanks for this! I've made other flowers and rosettes, but always with hot glue. I'm making skirts for me and my girls for Easter, but I don't want a hot glued flower or one with raw edges so they can be washed. This is the kind I was trying to figure out on my own, but of course mine didn't turn out as nice. Now I can try again and add some cute flowers to our skirts and make matching ones for our hair! thanks!

Liz says:

That is what sleep deprived mothers of new borns do (or at least I do). My husband has come to terms with the fact that any time we have a big event I will be up all hours of the night doing "unnecessary" projects. They did turn our beautiful.

Rhonda says:

I LOVE these!!!
    Thanks Ashley!!

Those little booties are sweet!!!

PearlsForMyGirls says:

Love the look of the flowers..
    And I am anxiously, I mean patiently waiting for tomorrow… I have a new little niece who has asked me to make her baptismal dress… :)

Simply Sara says:

OOOO I love your site more and more everyday! I am going to add these to my shirt I am making for a present!

CouldBeAnyone says:

This was exactly what I needed this morning. I bought a plain shirt for my sparkly 5 year old to wear with a tulle skirt. A plain shirt won't work for her, but a shirt with a flower (and maybe a few sparkles) will!

Peekadot says:

This is refreshing and I'm set to make some for my little niece…thanks for sharing.

Christy Szekely says:

Yes, please! Those are SUPER cute!!

Collin&Tatum says:

I'm making matching headbands for my entire extended family this week, I'm so excited to add this cute little flower the my repertoire!

PDCScarbroughpage says:

I can't wait to see the dress tutorial! These flowers are perfect!

Tiffany says:

That is so cute! By the way, I just had my first baby girl so I am loving all this stuff for baby girls!!! I also have 3 kids 3 and under. Fun stuff, right? :) I think I'll need to make some of these flowers for a headband for her too!!!

Tiffany says:

Forgot to say that I was having a bow making party at my house a couple weeks ago and my husband asked me if it was supposed to be fun (it was going to be my first attempt at making bows since, like I said in my other comment, I now have a girl!!). I don't think he gets girls getting together to make little girls stuff :)

Linda says:

I'm liking this. A lot.

omahadoulamom says:

I have got to get a sewing machine and learn how to use it so I can start doing all this awesome stuff!!! Maybe I should ask for one for Mothers Day instead of cartridges for my Cricut…decisions, decisions! I absolutely LOVE your blog and have been telling everyone about it!

barneyn says:

where do you buy your fold over elastic! i can not find it anywhere!!

Annie says:

Those little shoes! Way too cute.

Kim says:

I bought that elastic you mentioned for the headbands, but when I tried cutting mine it started fraying. Any suggestions?

Your instructions are perfect, thank you!,

Amie'lie says:

Quels jolis petits chaussons, c’est trop mignon, vraiment ravissant, super ! bonne soirée. Amie’lie

Kim Stout says:

I actually like these without ironing them, they’re super cute! Thanks for the tutorial! I imagine I could do the same thing to make shabby flowers, but I have no idea where to find the fabric that I would need. Here’s a vid in case you don’t know what I’m talking about, http://youtu.be/xJs5pbzf2zA

Would anyone know where I could find the fabric to do this same method for shabby flowers? Thanks in advance!

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying about this post...
  1. [...] then I made some flowers, just like the ones here, and hot glued them (you could hand stitch them too) right to the strap.  I then cut out a circle [...]

2. [...] then for the flower, I made it just like the one here……then hand sewed it onto the [...]

3. [...] I moved onto another project from the same site, the Crushed Fabric Flower. I varied the instructions a little bit, and started off easy by using the hemmed edges of the tank [...]

4. [...] like a different flower type, try the Shirred Flower, or the Full and Textured Flower, or the Crushed Fabric Flower.)  Then, I carefully stitched through the center of the flower to secure it to the bag.  Sew [...]