Women’s Skirt with Yoga Style Waist Band

Did you see the little yoga waistband skirt that I made
for my little girl a few weeks ago (found here)?
Well, after she slipped that on, I got jealous.  Like completely jealous.  The skirt is so light and airy…….and that waist band.  Ahhhhh, I was smitten with that waistband.  Oh, and I love a nice light skirt for summer.
(I have about 5 of the Lily style skirts from my pattern shop in my closet for the hot weather.  Another light and comfy skirt option.)

So I made one for me. Out of some great flow-y jersey knit fabric that I found.
If I would have made it in time, this skirt would have been fabulous for maternity wear too.  You can keep the band folded up to help it stay on over a pregnant belly or fold it down for cozy comfort.  But I’ll just be needing it to disguise this post baby belly.  You know how that goes…
And I can’t wait to get some great use out of her over the next 6 months.  Or 10 months.  You know how warm the weather is here in Georgia.
And the skirt is about knee length on me (maybe a tad longer)…….but on this body form, it looks mid-calf. I guess I’m probably 8 inches taller than this body form.  That’s how it goes being 5’11”……usually taller than most.  (But hey, I can always reach those top stock shelves at the stores where they hide the extra stuff. Ha.)

The waistband is nice and tall and can be worn up or down (you know, in case you have a pregnant belly) and really elongates that waistline…..if you need some elongating. :)

You may completely fall in love with the coziness of the this skirt………and may want 3 or 4 in your closet for these warmer months ahead of us. (The skirt looks great with the shirt un-tucked too.)
I made this skirt using the same concept as the little girl’s yoga style skirt (found here) except I didn’t use an old Tshirt as the fabric.
I made this skirt from some jersey knit that I got at a random fabric store in Atlanta a while ago.  (Sorry, no links, or any other way to help you get some from them………just try looking for knit at fabric stores locally or online.)

**EDITED: You’ll need anywhere from 1.5 – 2 yards of fabric for this skirt.  (Or more or less.)  It will vary depending on how tall you are, what size you are, how full you want the skirt, etc.  Decide on what measurements you want/need your skirt to be and then figure out how much fabric you’ll need.

First, I made the waist band the size that I wanted it.  You’ll need to cut a strip of knit fabric that will be sewn into a tube and then folded over in half………and then attached to the top of your main skirt section, just like the yoga skirt that I linked to above.  To cut a piece of fabric that will fit your waist just right, measure your waist (or where you want it to rest on your hips or below the waist, etc.) and then subtract several inches from that measurement.  There is no elastic in this waistband……just stretchy knit.  So you want it to fit snugly so that it won’t fall down.  (Wrap your knit around your waist and test it out.  See how much fits your waist snugly, then measure how wide that is and use that as your width measurement.)  So if your waist is 30 inches, depending on how stretchy your knit is, you’ll want to subtract a few inches from the width of the waistband so that it stays up.  If your knit is pretty stretchy, you may want to subtract 5 inches from your waist measurement……….making the width 25 inches across.  (I used this same concept when I made the pregnancy belly bands, found here.)  Then, decide how tall you want your band to be and then double that measurement…….because the waist band gets folded in half before being sewn on, and then you can fold it over again while wearing it.  So if you wear the waistband folded down, there are actually 4 layers of knit around your waist while wearing the skirt. (No worries, most knits are thin and don’t add a lot of bulk.)
I wanted my waistband to be about 4 inches tall after it was folded over. (I’m tall and like a tall waistband…..you may not want yours so tall.)  So if I wore the waistband up with a pregnant belly, it would be 8 inches tall.  SO that means I needed a piece of fabric that was 16 inches tall, but with the seam allowance added on, 17 inches tall.
**Also, be sure that the width of the waist band is stretching left to right around your waist, not from top to bottom.  You want the stretch to pull across your waist, helping the skirt to stay up.

Then try on the waist band…….make sure that it fits snugly after it’s folded over.
Then cut a piece for the main part of the skirt, that has enough of a seam allowance at the top (where you’ll add it to the waistband) and then enough of a seam allowance at the bottom if you’re going to hem under your skirt.  Sew it into a tube just like the tube shape of the bottom of the shirt that I used to make my little girl’s skirt that I linked to up above.  You’re going to want to gather the tube at the top, just like I did with the little girl skirt.  So cut the piece of fabric 1.5-2 times as big as your hip measurement.  So if your hips are 30 inches (mine aren’t!), cut your piece of fabric 45-60 inches wide……depending on how full you want the skirt.
Then gather the main skirt section and then attach the waistband to the main section of the skirt…….just like shown in the other tutorial (found here).
For the bottom of the skirt, you can either fold it under and hem it (use a zig zag with knit, so that it won’t stretch or pull) or just finish off the edge with a narrow stitch.  Practice on some scrap fabric if you’re not sure how your knit will react with certain stitches.  I actually used a rolled-hem stitch on my serger…….and it turned out great.
And that’s it.
My little knit skirt is done.  And very loved.

. . . . . . . . . . .
This post is sponsored by:

Filed under Clothing, Sewing, Women's Clothing

Comments

72 Responses to “Women’s Skirt with Yoga Style Waist Band”
    The Morrisseys says:

YAY! I've been looking for tutorials to make a skirt just like this! I'm due with baby #2 in August so I'll be needing something light and airy. Thanks! Love Love LOVE your blog!

Lindsey says:

That's my kind of skirt! I'll be trying that one day this summer for sure!

We The Peterson Three says:

I want to try this. Approx. how much fabric did you need?

Jeanna says:

Love it! I need to make myself a few of these skirts for spring and summer. Great stuff.

Jeanna @ dramaqueenseams.blogspot.com

Rebecca says:

*fan girl squeal* You live in Ga and possibly near Atlanta!?!? Would you ever consider doing something like the Our Best Bites girls did, but hold it in Atlanta??? I would love to attend a workshop of yours!

Kimberlee, The Spunky Diva says:

I love it. Very cute.
    ~Kimberlee

Kylie says:

Love this! So adorable! But about how much fabric did you need to make it?

Leigh Anne says:

Soooo cute! I'll definitely be making one for my post-prego belly :) Baby #3 set to arrive any day! Thanks!

cheldi says:

Love it! I have a pair of totally out of style gauchos in a super light & stretchy knit with exactly this kind of waist band. I've worn them through my last 2 pregnancies and now they're a bit too loose (most recently baby was 10.5 pounds so you can guess how big the belly was!). I've never actually made a full piece of clothing before, but this is definitely worth trying! how much fabric would you suggest buying? (small ladies size)

Alison says:

I love this! Looks sooo comfy.

shantel says:

I love it!

Elisabeth says:

I was searching for a skirt like this. You really make it look so easy! Maybe I'll give it a try! Thanks!

You'll need anywhere from 1.5 – 2 yards of fabric for this skirt. (Or more or less.) It will vary depending on how tall you are, what size you are, how full you want the skirt, etc. Decide on what measurements you want/need your skirt to be and then you can figure out how much fabric you'll need.

Good luck!

Donna @ Mudpies & Memories says:

Love it! This will be perfect for summer.

Stephanie Clites says:

I'm tall too… I can't ever find dresses long enough so skirts are all I can wear. This is perfect and SO cute!

bethanndodd says:

I will be making 1 (or 2 or 3) for myself very soon! I even have the perfect fabric for them!!! Thanks so much!

Kim and Jim says:

Yaay!!! I want to make atleast 4-5 of these. I've been looking everywhere in the stores for a skirt like this- with no luck- and I knew it would be pretty easy to just make one, but with your tutorial, I can actually DO it! Now if only I had a serger, life would be perfect.

Katie says:

I LOVE this, you've done such a wonderful job!

Kristen says:

I was JUST looking at skirts like this for our summer vacation! Will definitely be making one of these. Just need to find some good jersey knit.

Sarah Lenhart says:

That looks so cute! I can't wait to make one!

And I can totally relate with the tall thing – I'm 5' 10" and it's really hard to find dresses these days that aren't mini skirts by the time I put them on. Meanwhile my cute 5'2" friends have the same dresses reach all the way down to their knees. :)

Megan says:

Do you remember the name of the fabric store in Atlanta? My friends and I are always looking for new places to get fabric and since we live in Atlanta I'd love to know. Lovely skirt!

JenW says:

oh man, that is so great! since baby three i've been looking for something like this and now that i'm on pregnancy four i'm totally make 1 or 12! thanks!

K2 says:

Good idea for waist band. Loved the skirt.

Yolanda says:

Ooooooooo! Very nice. I will try this.

Tari says:

Ashley-
    I just wanted to let you know that I love looking at everything you make. Your creations always look so professional, and it helps spark ideas in my brain. Thanks for everything you do! (And I've been following along for a very long time, in fact I found out about your blog at the carnival the 4th stake did in Rexburg a long time ago when you were there, in person, displaying your creations. What can I say, I'm hooked!)
    ~Tari

Natalie says:

I’m wondering if anyone else has had problems serging the waistband to the skirt. My gathering looked nice until I serged it. Then it bunched up and stretched out and looks awful. Is there a way to make it work?

You read my mind! I was thinking of making a skirt like this for me because I made the little yoga skirt out of an old shirt for my little girl! yeah!

Jan says:

My daughter is coming in a few weeks and she already asked me to make one for her. She is tall too.

I followed your directions and made two for my 5 year old granddaughter- one made from an old tee shirt and one made from cute fabric from the store… only cost a tad since I only needed 12" for the base of the skirt and 11" for the band. Thank you for all the great ideas.

Amy Jami says:

I saw a post on my facebook news feed about this skirt and knew immediately that I would want to make a few for me (specifically thinking of my growing baby bump and how cool this would be to wear in the summer when pregnancy doubles how hot I feel on a normal basis). I was actually at the fabric today and found some nice fabric I wanted to use for it, UNFORTUNATELY I never actually read your post (only the post on facebook) so I didn't know how much fabric to buy! I will be returning Monday to make a purchase. Thanks! Maternity clothes cost so much and I've been looking for some good ideas to sew my own. Your are so talented and creative!

Ultrasonic Skin Scrubber says:

Dalling Family says:

We must be on the same wave length…I have been wanting to make a new skirt for myself, but didn't want to do a zipper or elasitc. Today I actually thought I would try this…thanks for giving me a visual of what it might look like!

Opp Family says:

The best place for knit remnants in the Atlanta area (by Stone Mountain) is Fabric World – super cheap and AWESOME material! It's hit or miss, but it's always a treasure hunt.

Thanks for the tutorial Ashley!

jenerekfamily says:

I heart that necklace. Any chance you remember where it is from?

The necklace is something that I altered a bit, like I did with the jewelry in this tutorial: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2011/01/altering-usednew-jewelryand-making-it.html

But I got most of that necklace from Burlington Coat Factory.

Hope that helps!

Andrea says:

Tried your knit skirt – love the knit waistband! :) Thanks for the tutorial!

Andrea

Kristina says:

I have to share the excitement: I saw this post, thought it was a great idea (I made myself four of your maternity bands a couple weeks ago, so I'm into knit right now), but thought I couldn't afford to get two yards of knit at about $10/yd.

Today, I was at Kohl's, and what did I see in the clearance section? A set of full-size KNIT sheets, purple, 80% off for only $8! I bought them and am so cutting them up and making this skirt, and maybe later a little matching one, if I have a girl! Plus lots of leftovers!

And, lol, my husband was laughing at me for buying purple sheets that don't fit our bed until I explained my plan. Then he loved it. :) I know that was long, but I'm excited. Take care!

Kristina,

That is a GREAT idea and tip. Yes, go find some clearanced knit sheets. I bet you had tons of knit to work with too. Fantastic! Thanks for sharing and hope you love your new skirt! :)

Lindsay says:

I know that when you make the waist band you want the fabric to stretch around your waist, but when you make the skirt part does it matter which way the stretch goes?

Thanks!

Tiffany says:

I am also very curious! The jersey I have has a TON of stretch in one direction, but next to none in the other. So if I do the waistband with the super stretchy direction, I had to trim it down multiple times to fit my waist so unstretched it looks WAY too small (but I tried it on, so I know it fits). My concern is that I cut out the skirt part the opposite direction so there is next to no stretch, so when I sew the skirt to the waistband, I am afraid it will no longer have quite as much stretch, so it won’t fit…if that makes sense. I think I just need a different kind of jersey that isn’t so stretchy. Help?

Susan says:

Just wondering if this would work using a knit for the waistband (just like you've done), but maybe with a woven cotton (like seersucker) for the body of the skirt? Anyone tried this?

Tiffany says:

I have a skirt that I bought that is just like that, the knit waistband and a light woven cotton for the skirt part, so it works! Just not sure if there is anything different you would need to do. I love the skirt I bought or I would take it apart to see how they did it. It appears as if it was done just as in the tutorial using all jersey. :-)

rachel says:

i just successfully made this- my first piece of clothing in over ten years. and i managed to upsize it to my very plus size with no issues, it looks just like the picture! thanks for the tutorial!

Tatiana says:

Hi,

I am a beginner, and while reading your tutorial, one thing is not clear enough for me, for the main part of the skirt body, did you cut one piece or two pieces? If you cut only one piece, that means that you will have a seam ate the back of the skirt, right?

I just cut my knit 1,5 times my waist measurement, but it looked really small, if I want to sew this into a tube, then gather the stittches, so I am wondering if I will have to cut another piece, then sew both sides together, then gather?

Thanks for the tutorial!

Tatiana
    Brazil

Hi Tatiana……..you know, I should have said 1.5 times your hip measurement just to be sure there’s enough room in there. Sorry about that. But even still, if you want it fuller, you can cut it twice your hip measurement. Or even more than that. It just depends on the look you want. But if you already have the piece cut……you can make that the front piece and cut another piece for the back if it looks too narrow. And then yes, there would be a seam down each side instead of just one down the back. It has been several months since I made this but I think I made this twice the measurement of my hips.

Hope that helps and good luck!

april moses says:

I love your dress tutorials. I am also 5′ 11″ so I know how hard it is to fit stuff in stores that fits right. I have to end up buying clothes that do not fit and alter them myself. And finding skirts and dresses that are supposed to be knee length on average height women that DON’T let me bottom hang out is next to impossible haha

That’s my kind of skirt! I’ll be trying that one day this summer for sure!

kellee says:

I love this skirt, I just have to learn to sew it. Thank you for sharing it.

Nicole says:

I’m super late in coming to this post, but I just found it on pinterest and made a maxi length maternity one for myself and I’m in love with it! Only took me 45 minutes from start to fnish, thanks for the how to! Wll be making a matching one for my three year old too!

Busy mom of two says:

Made this skirt! It was so easy and turned out very cute and comfy! Thanks for sharing!

Kate says:

Thank you so much for this pattern! I’m just a little bit pregnant at the moment (9.5 weeks, yay!) and finding that some of my summer clothes are beginning to get tight, but I still have at least two months of hot weather to go! I got some yoga capris and love how the fold over top fits with my growing pudge, so this pattern will be perfect and easy enough to complete with my first trimester fatigue. :)

melissa says:

Okay made two and LOVE how easy it was. this is the pattern I have been looking for. I am going to make one for my girls!

Elizabeth says:

this is EXACTLY what I was looking for AND exactly the same color I want! I need to go search for some fabric this color! thanks!

omatrisha says:

Wow….what a neat pattern~ thanks so much for sharing it. I’m going to make one of these pretty quickly here even if it is getting cool outdoors. I wear skirts and dresses all the time so as long as I make it from a fabric that’s a bit heavier, it should be fine. Besides, tights and slips make a difference!

Lenni says:

I just made a maxi-style skirt like this last night using your tutorials, and it turned out GREAT! Thank you so much for sharing your expertise. I just got a sewing machine for Christmas, so this was my first project “on my own” and your tutorials made it so super easy and quick to throw this skirt together. And unlike past projects of mine… it’s something that doesn’t look homemade, and I’d be proud to wear around! So excited to head to the fabric store and buy more great knits to make even MORE of these skirts! Thank you! :)

Joyful Mama says:

I am 22 weeks pregnant with our fourth baby and soooo tired of my old maternity clothes, so made a skirt from your tutorial this afternoon. It came out PERFECT and now I can’t wait for the shops to open tomorrow so I can go in search of more knits to make more skirts! Thanks SO much for the tutorial – I love my new skirt!

Agi says:

Hi,

I would love to make a skirt like this but there is something I don’t understand. If I gather the bottom part and sew it together with the waistband without stretching either fabric, how will it stretch enough after sewing so I can pull it up through my hips?